• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm finally one of you weirdos who spends $1000 on a phone, and this is where you can read my diary entry about it.

Grinchy

Banned
Dear diary,

I was one of the earliest people to get a cell phone back when I was around 15 (in the late 90s). For some reason I wanted one badly and spent a ton of my $5/hour job to make it happen. I even ended up spending $500 on a StarTac a couple years later and spent extra to get the slim battery. I love technology. So, while I'm not exactly a luddite, for some reason I just didn't care about smartphones when they came out.

I was very late to getting my first smartphone, and it was a very entry-level one called the LG Lucid 2 that I got for free. My next was a Galaxy S4 that was already an old model when I got it. Then, I got an iphone 6s and have used it for almost 3 years. As you can see, I'm no phone connoisseur.

A few months back, I got a weird and strong urge to splurge on a top of the line, current phone. I wanted to see why people get excited about these stupid things. So I looked into them all and landed on the Galaxy S10+ as the one that would be best for me. They are running a really nice promotion right now where they gave me $250 for my old ass iphone 6s and you can even choose 3-year financing now if you want.

This thing feels so damn nice. It just oozes quality. After installing a $50 screen protector and getting ready to order a wireless charger and a skin, I finally got to play with the damn thing. When it was turned off, I looked at it and thought, "that screen isn't quite as big as I expected." But, once the screen is on, it just looks so massive compared to any other phone I've used. I could still go for bigger since I'm a big buy with big hands, but this is a great size.

The colors are so vivid and it's so bright. The battery life is starting out really long-lasting. I'm just really quite happy with it so far.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Be careful. The bigger the screen size, the more addictive it can get. A lot of people don't realize they have a screen addiction.

Always turn off notifications, phone apps will do their best to get you "engaged".

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I upgraded from the original iPhone 6 to the XS Max back in January. I figured it would be worth it since I use my phone so much, and I have not regretted it. I don't think I can go back to a non-OLED screen.

Grinchy

Banned
I have bought an Iphone XS Max just for the sole reason that I never had an Iphone.

It cost me 1299 euros.

It's not worth it at all. You can have an equal or better phone for half the price.
I was strongly considering the Xs Max. I just hated how it was $1100 here, which made it $100 more than the S10+ and it had half the memory and less RAM. I know that iphones don't necessarily need the extra RAM and all that, but it just felt like it wasn't supposed to be $100 more for any reason.

Plus, I hate itunes with a passion and that's how I transfer videos and mp3s and make playlists. On the S10, I can finally just plug the phone into my PC, drag over what I want, and the playlists are so easy to make. I have no idea how the iphone is supposed to be the "user-friendly" experience when someone who builds PCs has to spend hours figuring out how to get a fucking playlist of 1000 songs to work.

Mobilemofo

Upgraded from my s8 plus to a p20 pro then the p30 pro. Looked at the s10 plus but I went for the p30 pro. Battery is amazing as is the camera. Phone is smooth as butter.

Grinchy

Banned
Upgraded from my s8 plus to a p20 pro then the p30 pro. Looked at the s10 plus but I went for the p30 pro. Battery is amazing as is the camera. Phone is smooth as butter.
Yeah that's another one I wanted. I was also really close to pulling the trigger on the OnePlus 7 since I love the screen and having no selfie camera ruining it. In the end I still fell on the s10 plus.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This has been a really busy week at work, so I haven't had much time to really delve into the phone until now.

God damn, this thing is nice as hell. I just opened a YouTube video with 50 tips and even just like 6 minutes in I am loving all the cool shit I can do with it.

This just feels so much better and more intuitive than iOS to me so far.

plushyp

This has been a really busy week at work, so I haven't had much time to really delve into the phone until now.

God damn, this thing is nice as hell. I just opened a YouTube video with 50 tips and even just like 6 minutes in I am loving all the cool shit I can do with it.

This just feels so much better and more intuitive than iOS to me so far.
Samsung One UI is so much better than their earlier Experience overlay.

Top Bottom