• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm in love with the Dead Or Alive series (again...)

Feichaw

Please, let me tell you my
long
story. Prepare a glass of water (or whatever makes you feel better), sit down on your favorite chair or sofa, and relax, if you are interested in what I am about to say.

When I was 9yo, I was going through a difficult part of my life. I just had lost my pet, the only I had in my entire life (no, it didn't die. Actually, my family gave it to some people I didn't know, just because they couldn't bear its barks anymore. Seriously, that's the lamest reason to abandon a dog...) and that affected me so much. Add to that the fact that my family was moving to another house, to start a new life in a different part of the city. Suffice to say, I didn't have friends at that time, except my dog, and it was taken from me. Of course I had my family, but my sister was very young, my parents never talked to me about it, and I wasn't the kind of person that tells their problems to others (I'm still like this, you know). I remember that, sometimes, I just wanted to cry, and to be alone in my room. Thinking about it, maybe was depression, or at least the beginning of it. I don't know.

I think the only thing that occupied my mind were games. I didn't have a Playstation, but my favorite game was Final Fantasy VII, and I fantasized about it so much in my mind...I wanted to be Cloud haha. Silly thing to remember now :)

Well, one day, someone bought to me a game magazine (I wish they still exist in my country). Looking at it, ok, some cool game here, some silly another game there...and...Dead Or Alive 2.

I remember being very impressed with the graphics. There were some screenshots from the game. It was Dead Or Alive 2 for the Dreamcast. It was about to release. I didn't know anything about the series, but somehow I became obsessed with it at the time.

Ok, the game was released, and I could play it in my uncle's house (he had a Dreamcast. Lucky guy). It. Was. Amazing! Seriously! Few games managed to keep my attention like Dead Or Alive 2. The game was pretty good. I remember thinking that it was the best fighting game I played, even better than Tekken 3 (the most popular fighting game when DOA 2 was released I think). Kasumi was my favorite character. I just loved to play with her, and how she looked. Remember that I was going through a difficult time of my life and that I didn't have friends? Well, strangely enough, I started to consider her as my friend. In my mind, she was my best friend. I remember playing with my toys alone in my bedroom, pretending that she was there with me. Somehow, it helped going through that time.

Dead Or Alive 2 was the best thing that happened to me when I was 9yo. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it was very important to me haha.

One day, I went to my uncle's house. I was eager to play more DOA 2. Never happened. He said that he had sold his Dreamcast.

The only thing that I still had about the game was that magazine. I remember reading it, reading it, reading it, reading it...

As the time passed by, I got new friends, and DOA 2 was just being forgotten. It didn't help that the fact that the series went to be an Xbox exclusive (I've never, ever, seen a single Xbox in my entire life), and I didn't know that DOA 2 was on Playstation 2 as well.

The situation remained the same until this year...

So, I bought a Playstation 4, and, looking at the store, I saw that there was a F2P DOA game. I thought "hey, why not?", and downloaded it. Holy shit, my mind was blown. Not only DOA 5 was simply the best fighting game I've played in years, but it triggered so many, many, many, many memories that I once forgot that were very special moments to me. When I looked at Kasumi, it was like I was seeing an old friend coming back to say hello. Dude, she has grown so much :D (well, I think the same can be said for me...)

With the announcement of DOA Xtreme 3 and all the talk about it, I wanted to know about the Volleyball series. So I got to know how silly it is, but I can see myself buying one of them just because it's Dead Or Alive...and, then...I listened to this song. Music has the biggest power to move minds and hearts, and, holy shit...so many memories that song brought to me (and it was my first time listening to it! Weird! And it was while I was doing this that I decided to make this thread). I realized that I was in love with the Dead Or Alive series again. Truly one of the most special franchises to me. Weird that a fighting game represents so much to a person, but that's how it is for me.

I bought a Playstation 4 to play Destiny and Bloodborne, and, in the end, Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round is my most played game. Pretty funny, huh!

I don't know why I wanted to share all this with you all, GAF, let alone making my first thread about it (yay!). I've been here for quite sometime, and, even if I don't post here much, I really like this forum (wait, maybe that's the reason haha...).

I know some people have some issues with the Dead Or Alive series, but this thread isn't about this, ok. Please.

What about you? Do you have a game or a franchise that you are really attached to? One that is very special for you? I have many more in my heart. Maybe one day I'll share the other stories with you, GAF.

cwistofu

For me, it's Dynasty Warriors. I played DW3 as a kid, then went on to better things. Happened to get a month of free Gamefly and saw they had Dynasty Warriors 7. I didn't even realize DW7 existed at the time. Figured, "hey hahahah Dynasty Warriors! I remember that series! This oughta be funny."

Turns out it has an incredibly well-done story mode for all four kingdoms. Fell back in love with the Warriors series since then.

DW8 has better gameplay, but the story wasn't nearly as polished and emotional as 7's, unfortunately. Here's hoping for DW9!

But yeah, <3 DW

For me, it's Dynasty Warriors. I played DW3 as a kid, then went on to better things. Happened to get a month of free Gamefly and saw they had Dynasty Warriors 7. I didn't even realize DW7 existed at the time. Figured, "hey hahahah Dynasty Warriors! I remember that series! This oughta be funny."

Turns out it has an incredibly well-done story mode for all four kingdoms. Fell back in love with the Warriors series since then.

DW8 has better gameplay, but the story wasn't nearly as polished and emotional as 7's, unfortunately. Here's hoping for DW9!

But yeah, <3 DW

High five dude, this is happening to me too, and I stopped with DW3 (Xbox) as well, I'm back and enjoying musou games a lot but I'm restricting myself to play only D.Warriors/Orochi/S.Warriors, I don't want to get burned.

kagamin

DOA3 was my first fighting game, and I liked it almost as much as DOA2U, which is my favorite game in the series (DOA5 being close second).

Please, let me tell you my
long
story. Prepare a glass of water (or whatever makes you feel better), sit down on your favorite chair or sofa, and relax, if you are interested in what I am about to say.

When I was 9yo, I was going through a difficult part of my life. I just had lost my pet, the only I had in my entire life (no, it didn't die. Actually, my family gave it to some people I didn't know, just because they couldn't bear its barks anymore. Seriously, that's the lamest reason to abandon a dog...) and that affected me so much. Add to that the fact that my family was moving to another house, to start a new life in a different part of the city. Suffice to say, I didn't have friends at that time, except my dog, and it was taken from me. Of course I had my family, but my sister was very young, my parents never talked to me about it, and I wasn't the kind of person that tells their problems to others (I'm still like this, you know). I remember that, sometimes, I just wanted to cry, and to be alone in my room. Thinking about it, maybe was depression, or at least the beginning of it. I don't know.

I think the only thing that occupied my mind were games. I didn't have a Playstation, but my favorite game was Final Fantasy VII, and I fantasized about it so much in my mind...I wanted to be Cloud haha. Silly thing to remember now :)

Well, one day, someone bought to me a game magazine (I wish they still exist in my country). Looking at it, ok, some cool game here, some silly another game there...and...Dead Or Alive 2.

I remember being very impressed with the graphics. There were some screenshots from the game. It was Dead Or Alive 2 for the Dreamcast. It was about to release. I didn't know anything about the series, but somehow I became obsessed with it at the time.

Ok, the game was released, and I could play it in my uncle's house (he had a Dreamcast. Lucky guy). It. Was. Amazing! Seriously! Few games managed to keep my attention like Dead Or Alive 2. The game was pretty good. I remember thinking that it was the best fighting game I played, even better than Tekken 3 (the most popular fighting game when DOA 2 was released I think). Kasumi was my favorite character. I just loved to play with her, and how she looked. Remember that I was going through a difficult time of my life and that I didn't have friends? Well, strangely enough, I started to consider her as my friend. In my mind, she was my best friend. I remember playing with my toys alone in my bedroom, pretending that she was there with me. Somehow, it helped going through that time.

Dead Or Alive 2 was the best thing that happened to me when I was 9yo. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it was very important to me haha.

One day, I went to my uncle's house. I was eager to play more DOA 2. Never happened. He said that he had sold his Dreamcast.

The only thing that I still had about the game was that magazine. I remember reading it, reading it, reading it, reading it...

As the time passed by, I got new friends, and DOA 2 was just being forgotten. It didn't help that the fact that the series went to be an Xbox exclusive (I've never, ever, seen a single Xbox in my entire life), and I didn't know that DOA 2 was on Playstation 2 as well.

The situation remained the same until this year...

So, I bought a Playstation 4, and, looking at the store, I saw that there was a F2P DOA game. I thought "hey, why not?", and downloaded it. Holy shit, my mind was blown. Not only DOA 5 was simply the best fighting game I've played in years, but it triggered so many, many, many, many memories that I once forgot that were very special moments to me. When I looked at Kasumi, it was like I was seeing an old friend coming back to say hello. Dude, she has grown so much :D (well, I think the same can be said for me...)

With the announcement of DOA Xtreme 3 and all the talk about it, I wanted to know about the Volleyball series. So I got to know how silly it is, but I can see myself buying one of them just because it's Dead Or Alive...and, then...I listened to this song. Music has the biggest power to move minds and hearts, and, holy shit...so many memories that song brought to me (and it was my first time listening to it! Weird! And it was while I was doing this that I decided to make this thread). I realized that I was in love with the Dead Or Alive series again. Truly one of the most special franchises to me. Weird that a fighting game represents so much to a person, but that's how it is for me.

I bought a Playstation 4 to play Destiny and Bloodborne, and, in the end, Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round is my most played game. Pretty funny, huh!

I don't know why I wanted to share all this with you all, GAF, let alone making my first thread about it (yay!). I've been here for quite sometime, and, even if I don't post here much, I really like this forum (wait, maybe that's the reason haha...).

I know some people have some issues with the Dead Or Alive series, but this thread isn't about this, ok. Please.

What about you? Do you have a game or a franchise that you are really attached to? One that is very special for you? I have many more in my heart. Maybe one day I'll share the other stories with you, GAF.

You are in Luck , DOAX 3 is coming out for the PS4.

Feichaw

You are in Luck , DOAX 3 is coming out for the PS4.

I know, but I have to import it from Play-Asia (I don't know any other place that sells the game with the english translation), and it's very expensive right now...

I'm happy with only DOA 5 anyway :)

Azuardo

Great to see more people appreciating this great game more, recently. I got back into the game when DOA5 vanilla became one of the free PS+ games a couple of years ago, after starting with DOA2 on Dreamcast, and then missing out on 3 and 4 (never bought Xbox). Been hooked on 5 since then.

Need more people frequenting our DOA5LR community thread! We have lobbies often, and will have one this evening.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=186938546

Top Bottom