• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not sure I want an Indiana Jones 5 (actually I'm pretty sure I don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought 3 was the absolute best one. Best action, adventure, comedy and memorable moments.

Unless they've actually got some good ideas, they really need to stop with Indy. Crystal Skull had the same problems the prequels did (bad/lazy writing, boring ideas, overuse of/unnecessary CGI).

They COULD make another great Indy movie since Harrison can still act (proven in TFA), but I think his performance will reflect the quality.
Why? There are so many locales, historic relics, etc. they could do. The idea and concept of Indiana Jones wasn't the problem. The execution and plot of Crystal Skulls was.

And they have to retire Ford and get someone new. The idea of Indy was modeled after the classic serial pulp adventurer archetype. A 70-year old man with the hat, coat, and whip is Indiana Jones in name only.

Future

There is a shortage of crazy treasure hunter stories and I think there is more stores to tell. You just need better writing

- fridge nuke scene
- monkeys grappling through the trees
- landing a jeep in a tree and falling down softly like looney tunes
- alien ship and everything about the reveal
- Indy himself being the center of most major action scenes even though he is old as fuck

Wtf at whoever wrote those scenes. I've only seen the movie once yet I still remember those horrible moments (and remember audible groans a the monkey part in the theater). So bad

Spielberg is partially at fault here too because I think he's gone into dad mode where he thinks goofy shit is acceptable for the kids. He is still a good director, they all just need to approach another Indy with respect and not as a kid pleaser where you obviously cut corners cuz you think the audience is too enamoured by the premise to care

I love the original Indy trilogy. Warts and all. Crystal Skull completely missed the mark, though, and it wasn't just plot holes or bad acting...

Indiana Jones is a power fantasy.It works for both men, and women. As men, you want to be Indy. Women, on the other hand, want to be with Indy. By Crystal Skull, Harrison was already too old to be a guy you'd want to be or be with. It didn't help that the movie dealt with Harrison having a son he wasn't aware of, or having a dumb double/triple agent follow him around, making him look stupid. Neither of those are things you put into a power fantasy movie.

The Last Crusade is basically the best movie ever but I don't want to see Indy 5, at all.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that I, and many of you I'm sure, first saw Indiana Jones when we were kids. I saw the first 3 when I was 7 and I loved them. Spielberg shouldn't try to play down to kids cause they'll enjoy it anyways. I mean, I can't exactly say my dad should have let me seen a dude getting his heart ripped from his chest... but I enjoyed it. Kids watch all the superhero movies and those are all PG-13 so I think a proper Indy would be fine for them.

Surfinn

Why? There are so many locales, historic relics, etc. they could do. The idea and concept of Indiana Jones wasn't the problem. The execution and plot of Crystal Skulls was.

And they have to retire Ford and get someone new. The idea of Indy was modeled after the classic serial pulp adventurer archetype. A 70-year old man with the hat, coat, and whip is Indiana Jones in name only.

Which.. is why I said the bolded in the post you quoted:

I thought 3 was the absolute best one. Best action, adventure, comedy and memorable moments.

Unless they've actually got some good ideas, they really need to stop with Indy. Crystal Skull had the same problems the prequels did (bad/lazy writing, boring ideas, overuse of/unnecessary CGI).

They COULD make another great Indy movie since Harrison can still act (proven in TFA), but I think his performance will reflect the quality.

I never said the Indiana Jones concept was the problem.. Crystal Skull was a horrible and lazy plot that just set up a ton of CGI driven scenes. The only really enjoyable part from that movie was the car chase scene which was terrific.

As I said, if they have a good plot and execution, they could even do another one with Harrison.

Harrison is so iconic I'm not sure the character could be recast, but again, if done right it could work.

If done right is the big asterisk.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I love Ford and Spielberg, but just reboot the damn thing instead of forcing it.

Here, I have a plot outline for you if you really want Ford in it still:

INT - STUDY BY FIRELIGHT
Indy is in a rocking chair reading a book by Plato, obscuring his features. He lowers the book, he's an old man now! He's also Harrison Ford. Kid runs up to him.

Grandkid: What's that, Grandpa?
Indy: Let me tell you a story about Atlantis...

EXT - SOMEWHERE IN SOUTH AMERICA - DAY
Indy (in 40s or so - not played by Ford) stands over a waterfall, looking down. Kicks a rock down, camera follows it as it splashes into the water, then turns a golden color.
Title Card - INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS

You're welcome, Hollywood.

Alteranatively...Indiana Jones and The Fountain of Youth.

Surfinn

Crystal Skull was fine. Better than the shit fest that was Indy 2

Really? Temple was incredibly fun and dark, and pretty damn creepy/unsettling. Lots of memorable moments throughout that film. The car chase from Skull was the only memorable part of that film. Unless you wanna count the CGI gophers memorable, just for the wrong reasons..

Red Devil

There was, and it was fantastic.
header.jpg

(Even the executable is called indy4.exe, hehe)

It's been over 15 years since after much denial that I've reconcilled with the idea that a movie based on that will never happen, why do you have to bring back such pain?

5 needs to happen. Temple is remembered fondlely because of the awesomeness of holy grail. In time, if 5 is done right, Krystal Skull will share that same fate.

Surfinn

5 needs to happen. Temple is remembered fondlely because of the awesomeness of holy grail. In time, if 5 is done right, Krystal Skull will share that same fate.

Not a chance, IMO. CGI is wonky as hell and the story is lazy. Just like the prequels weren't improved because EP3 ended up being the best of the bunch.. if they're bad, they're just bad.

Crystal Skull is built on a crappy foundation with worse execution, and I think time will definitely reflect that. It's got the same problems that plague the PT and those films get worse with age.

I think people think fondly of Temple because Temple was a good Indy film.

Jme

What we'll end up getting:

INT - Traincar, night
We see Indiana Jones reading a book on a crowded traincar. A man in a black trenchcoat in front of the camera and Indiana Jones closes his book and gets up to follow up.

We see the man exit the back of the train car and Indy picks up his pace into a brisk jog chasing after him.

We CUT to further chase through another traincar, until the man exits again, Indy follows. He opens the rear door to reveal.

EXT - Traincar, Outter Space

We see an expanse of stars and galaxies, as the train is flying through outter space with a small bubble atmosphere surrounding it. The man is missing entirely.

TITLE CARD:
INDIANA JONES AND THE GALAXY OF JEWELS

Plot Synopsis - In the year 2054, and elderly Indy must stop the Space Nazis, sent from the past by Robo-Hilter Mk II, from finding the Diamond Planet that can be used to fire their space cannon.

Jarmel

Banned
Probably unthinkable for many, but what we really need is a reboot. Ford isn't Indiana Jones anymore. The thrill isn't in the name or the face. It's that idea of the classic adventurer on the pulp adventure

Does 74-year old Ford capture that anymore?

Just reboot it. Go back to the 30s and 40s, a pulp adventure in that era would actually be a breath of fresh air nowadays. Get a new Indy; define the character for the new and next generations.

Honestly I kind of wish that Uncharted movie hadnt died because if done well, it's the closest we'd probably get to a modern Indiana Jones movie. The ancient relics, the traps and action, the heroic adventurer

Which is a large reason why I'm not excited for the upcoming film. It feels like they didn't learn any of the vital lessons they should have from Indy 4.

Jawmuncher

Harrison Ford has his age showing at this point. I don't understand how he can even do anything Indy outside of a mentor role for the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom