• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | Big Game Spot (New Scenes)

Draugoth

Gold Member

This Summer, a legend will face his destiny. Harrison Ford returns in #IndianaJones and the Dial of Destiny in theaters June 30. Harrison Ford returns as the legendary hero archaeologist in the highly anticipated fifth installment of the iconic “Indiana Jones” franchise, which is directed by James Mangold (“Ford v Ferrari,” “Logan”). Starring along with Ford are Phoebe Waller-Bridge (“Fleabag”), Antonio Banderas (“Pain and Glory”), John Rhys-Davies (“Raiders of the Lost Ark”), Shaunette Renee Wilson (“Black Panther”), Thomas Kretschmann (“Das Boot”), Toby Jones (“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”), Boyd Holbrook (“Logan”), Oliver Richters (“Black Widow”), Ethann Isidore (“Mortel”) and Mads Mikkelsen (“Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore”). Directed by James Mangold, the film is produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Simon Emanuel, with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas serving as executive producers. John Williams, who has scored each Indy adventure since the original "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in 1981, is once again composing the score.

CGNoire

I wish they would just do an entire Indy film with de-age tech instead of just some scenes. Looks better than IV at least

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

The problem is you can see modern movie plots from a mile away. I will be happy to be wrong... but I am imagining...

PWB will end up being the real savior, and take the thrown.

Indiana Jones will be an archaic sidekick by the second half of the film.

There will be some form of humor / comments relayed towards him about him being a "thing of the past" similar to Bond in No Time to Die.

I will be happy to be wrong. But it's going to be the same with the new Mario. Peach is going to be the real hero, Luigi and Mario will be idiots. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Writing has gotten lazy. Easy to see well before it happens.

The biggest travesty of it all will be that PWB doesn't strike me as someone who would wear Alden Indy boots, and that legacy absolutely must be protected.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Indiana Jones GIF

I would love this to be the send off that we know Indiana jones deserves

I just don’t know. And weirdly the de aging tech and his team up with his god daughter, aren’t what’s making me doubt this movie …..

winjer

Gold Member
After the monster shit that was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I have to be very skeptical that this will be any good.

And LucasFilms has so much confidence in this, they disabled the downvote button.

Last edited:

Doom85

After the monster shit that was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I have to be very skeptical that this will be any good.

And LucasFilms has so much confidence in this, they disabled the downvote button.

Completely different director. James Mangold has a really good track record.

Also, I just checked the video, and you can downvote it. If you mean the downvotes aren’t shown, well yeah, that’s true for all YouTube videos now unless I missed an update where they brought it back for some videos.

Definitely not seeing this opening weekend. Will wait for trusted sources to declare if it’s dogshit or not. Why should we reward bad storytelling anymore…

Toons

Let’s not start this, okay? Crystal Skull is overwhelmingly bad.

Its not as bad as some claim it is. But its not very good either.

Id prefer this movie have actual interesting plotting and scroot than being predictable and a 80s movie in simplicity. But the heart is what matters.

The problem is you can see modern movie plots from a mile away. I will be happy to be wrong... but I am imagining...

Top gun Maverick was predictable as all hell and a ton of people still loved it. Including me. So.

0neAnd0nly

Its not as bad as some claim it is. But its not very good either.

Id prefer this movie have actual interesting plotting and scroot than being predictable and a 80s movie in simplicity. But the heart is what matters.

Top gun Maverick was predictable as all hell and a ton of people still loved it. Including me. So.

Predictably isn’t always a bad thing.

I never said that.

The take on male action movies recently, especially with PWB attached, however is ridiculously easy to telegraph and that can be a problem.

0neAnd0nly

I saw this tweet originally - but I will also say, similar was said about Bond.

“No one is taking over as “James Bond””.

But a character did take over as 007, and Bond’s role was… criticized, throughout the film.

I’ll be interested to see what happens here.

Fbh

Conceptually it looks like it could be fun.
Visually it looks terrible.

It's like Disney is committed to all their movies looking like crap

Billbofet

Conceptually it looks like it could be fun.
Visually it looks terrible.

It's like Disney is committed to all their movies looking like crap
Agree. The CG looks like a 360-era game custscene. Just soft with shifted, fake coloring.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I might give Crystal Skull a second viewing now.
Don't bother. I watched it in cinema and hated it. Re-watched it years later. thinking it can't be as bad as I remember it.... but it was still as bad.

To this day I can't believe Spielberg agreed to make that trash.

MacReady13

I'll probably see it at the movies, hate it, then watch it again in 10 years' time and think it's not so bad. Much like I did with Crystal Skull
I just did a rewatch of Crystal Skull a few months ago. Really enjoyed it.

This film looks shit though. Doesn’t seem to have that feel of an Indy film. Admittedly it’s only a trailer but it felt to me completely hollow.

I just did a rewatch of Crystal Skull a few months ago. Really enjoyed it.

This film looks shit though. Doesn’t seem to have that feel of an Indy film. Admittedly it’s only a trailer but it felt to me completely hollow.
I felt the same way tbh … I’ll see how I feel in 10 years!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Without the 2 keys guys behind the scenes I have zero faith in this film whatsoever.

Both were involved. Spielberg was directing until he remembered his promise not to do "cartoon Nazis" after Schindlers List, so he dropped out and they selected Mangold to direct it and re-write it. George's involvement in all of the movies was just finding the MacGuffin and in this case it's the Antikythera mechanism.

Last edited:

Fbh

Agree. The CG looks like a 360-era game custscene. Just soft with shifted, fake coloring.

All the recent Marvel stuff looks visually horrible.
Thor Love and Thunder had a couple of cool scenes but 80% of it looked like one of those lower budget Robert Rodriguez movies

Look at shit like this
3ef7186e7904880c5955340b6549ebc4568afd34.gifv

They aren't even trying anymore with the fake backgrounds
That's a $250 MILLION movie

Dev1lXYZ

None of the post Raiders movies were nearly as good in my opinion.

Temple: Annoying screaming throughout almost ruins the film. The punchline isn’t funny.
Last Crusade: A retread of the first but toned down for the elderly.
Crystal Skull: The opposite of how I feel about Raiders.
Dial of Destiny: Time travel plots never work very well, so I have no expectations it will be any good.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Those people spreading the BS that Helena takes over look like the rage baiting idiots they are:

From Reddit
“Indy is recovering from the adventure at his place in New York with Helena there. Marion comes in (they had previously separated due to Mutt's death.) Helena just leaves - no passing of torch, no "wink wink" - she just respectfully leaves to give Indy and Marion alone time.

Indy and Marion finally talk, and in a reversal of the "where does it hurt?" scene from Raiders, Indy asks Marion where she's hurting, and it's implied they reconcile - giving Indy his family back at the end of his adventures. It's quite literally the best ending Indy could hope for.”

Top Bottom