• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Disney Eyeing Chris Pratt For Indiana Jones Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

i8zYiT3.jpg

this looks so natural to him it's unnerving
what about shia though?

CloudWolf

That's nostaglia talking. Ford was perfect for Indiana but that was 34 years ago. He's old and just doesn't have that aura that made Indy so cool. Crystal Skull is proof of that

You want to see Indy like this again?

I'd much rather see a young guy like Pratt take the character back to its roots. Capture that vibe that the original movies had
You know what I'd want to see them do? Not make an Indiana Jones movie. Just make an Indiana Jones lookalike movie with Pratt like they have done before with movies like Romancing the Stone and National Treasure. Sure, you won't have the brand name to exploit, but Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford, you can't just replace him and call it a day, Indy is no James Bond.

Maybe they could have Pratt playing another character that is in some way connected with Indiana, much like that last Bourne movie, but replacing Harrison Ford is an awful idea.

Meh Indiana Jones doesn't need to be revived, recast or any of that.

We get it guys, Chris Pratt was cool in that one movie. Don't want him as Indy or really anybody. If they must make a new one just do the Tintin thing with Ford's voice or something.

Everyone is assuming that this will be a reboot but the article says revival.

Haven't they said in the past they've thought about swapping out actors to play Indy ala James Bond? The article even likens it to the Star Wars "revival" happening, and that's not a reboot, it's the 7th movie. Them reviving the Indy franchise could just mean they're making a new movie and changing out the actor like they planned. They're gonna do the same thing with the actors that play all the super heroes in the Marvel movies, too.

Everyone is assuming that this will be a reboot but the article says revival.

Haven't they said in the past they've thought about swapping out actors to play Indy ala James Bond? The article even likens it to the Star Wars "revival" happening, and that's not a reboot, it's the 7th movie. Them reviving the Indy franchise could just mean they're making a new movie and changing out the actor like they planned. They're gonna do the same thing with the actors that play all the super heroes in the Marvel movies, too.

People are pissed about the revival itself. Not cause they think it's a remake.

People are pissed about the revival itself. Not cause they think it's a remake.

That's a different topic though. I know they're similar and granted I didn't read the ENTIRE thread but the posts I'm referring to are specifically those assuming this will be a reboot when the article clearly says it's meant to be a revival.

I mean, that could wind up as a reboot after all, but for now we just have information saying they want to revive the franchise. My comment was aimed at the people shouting "AH GREAT JUST WHAT WE NEED ANOTHER REBOOT" because it sounds like this is meant to just be another entry in the series.

If this is true Indy is definitely dead to me..That's the final nail in the coffin.
Go fuck yourself, Disney. If Harrison Ford is too old you don't make another movie. Let this franchise alone.

Ah well, whatever. I'm not going to watch it anyway (without Spielberg and Ford).

Prine

Banned
Decent casting, but still not Harrison status. I mean Harrison pulled off being an academic and bad ass. I dont get the same vibe from him, comes across as being too goofy. Perhaps this will change when i see him play a more serious but endearing role.

Dead Man

Put me in the "I think he may be a bit too goofy but will wait until I see him in a serious role' group. Got all the charisma the role needs, just not sure about his depth.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
There will only ever be one Indiana Jones. Harrison Ford stands alone.

At least 3 other actors have already played Indiana Jones: River Phoenix, Sean Patrick Flanery and George Hall. I'd rather have new, well-made, fun Indiana Jones adventures with a new actor than another Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

RetroMG

The best thing would be to start a new series with a new adventurer that isn't at all tied to Indiana Jones.

But if we can't leave well enough alone, (and you know we can't,) Chris Pratt could probably pull this off.

The writers would have to remember though that Indy himself isn't a goofy character. Goofy things happen to him, sure, but the man himself isn't goofy. Putting Star-Lord in a hat and giving him a whip is not a recipe for success.

Sephzilla

I also think Chris Pine would make a pretty great Indiana Jones, I haven't seen his name get dropped in here (or I missed it) so I thought I'd throw him into consideration.

Chris_Pine_2,_2013.jpg

inm8num2

It seems like there are two paths: either have the new lead play a younger Indiana (taking place before the events of the original films) with an older Indiana (Ford) telling his tales a la Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, or have the new lead play someone in the 60s or 70s to whom Indiana passes the torch.

Hell, maybe Pratt will be playing an older Mutt.

BearPawB

Banned
I don't see how anyone could see this as anything but perfect casting.

He is/is going to be this generations Harrison Ford.

Dead Man

The best thing would be to start a new series with a new adventurer that isn't at all tied to Indiana Jones.

But if we can't leave well enough alone, (and you know we can't,) Chris Pratt could probably pull this off.

The writers would have to remember though that Indy himself isn't a goofy character. Goofy things happen to him, sure, but the man himself isn't goofy. Putting Star-Lord in a hat and giving him a whip is not a recipe for success.

That's my worry.

It just dawned on me that Bradley Cooper would be perfect as Belloq.

Belloq!

Damn, now that would be perfect casting.

WillyFive

Indiana Jones should certainly be treated as America's James Bond/Doctor Who; new generations keeping the character's adventures alive.

Indiana Jones should certainly be treated as America's James Bond/Doctor Who; new generations keeping the character's adventures alive.

Those characters have always been contemporary, Indy is a period piece. If you do go the Bond route, do you update the setting or end up making 20 films all set in the 30's?

Just how many religious relics are there of similar importance as the ark and the grail anyway? Are we going to get the Lance of Longinus Indy movie nobody wants? That big screen adaptation of Fate of Atlantis everyone does?

All I know is that warehouse is going to get pretty full.

B.K.

I'm glad Paramount still co-owns the series. Disney won't be able to do anything without their approval or buying the series from them completely.

I'm glad Paramount still co-owns the series. Disney won't be able to do anything without their approval or buying the series from them completely.

Completely false

Disney is the sole owner of the Indiana Jones franchise and can do with it what they please

December 2013:

The Walt Disney Studios and Paramount Pictures have reached a distribution and marketing agreement for the Indiana Jones franchise.

Under the arrangement, Disney gains distribution and marketing rights to future films, in addition to retaining the ownership rights it secured when it acquired Lucasfilm.

Paramount will continue to be responsible for distribution of the first four films in the franchise and will receive a financial participation on any future films that are produced and released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom