• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Disney Eyeing Chris Pratt For Indiana Jones Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Pratt isn't necessarily a bad choice, he just hasn't yet displayed the range that makes one think he could move beyond cocksure jokester and into dead serious in a heartbeat. It's a fine line to straddle.

Frank Vincent would probably be a better choice.

inm8num2

This would be better for Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana"Jones, Jr.

99185fe4a9dd5d85d720d31e205c85b1.jpg

Nope.

Don't want it. Ford is Indy forever and always.

I wouldn't mind to see more action adventure movies in the Indy universe with Chris Pratt, but no one as Indy.

I feel like he's just about old enough at 35 but he doesn't actually have a mature look to him when Harrison Ford did when he played the role at 39.

He also has to pull off this look:

Wow I forget how handsome Harrison Ford was in the Indy series. I agree, I'd prefer an actor that can pull off the mature professor/archeologist look. The picture posted of Bradly Cooper has me convinced he could make a strong Indy.

I feel like he's just about old enough at 35 but he doesn't actually have a mature look to him when Harrison Ford did when he played the role at 39.

9800384218ff8e8bc15a0619888f2a55.jpg

And I just don't know if I can buy it from Chris.

Strangely this picture made Chris Pratt seem even more fitting. I'm just curious if he can play the role alongside looking it.

Laieon

I'm alright with this.

If you would've told me years ago that the lazy, funny boyfriend in Park's and Rec would go on to star in all these huge movies, I would have never believed you. He definitely seemed like the guy who could have easily been typecast as "silly, fat, comic relief guy". Really glad to see that's not the case.

9800384218ff8e8bc15a0619888f2a55.jpg

And I just don't know if I can buy it from Chris.

That picture actually looks more like Chris Pratt.

CloudWolf

I'm alright with this.

If you would've told me years ago that the lazy, funny boyfriend in Park's and Rec would go on to star in all these huge movies, I would have never believed you. He definitely seemed like the guy who could have easily been typecast as "silly, fat, comic relief guy". Really glad to see that's not the case.
Now he's being typecast as the lovable rogue!

120v

i was hoping for one more good one with harrison but i know the window for that has run out

bradley cooper seems like the best pick. not too old yet not too young. but they'll probably go with a young 'un

The hell he is.

Robert Iler is an untapped treasure that would be much better suited.

Even if he nailed the role, he would not bring in an audience like Pratt would.

If we consider both the ability for the actor to portray the character and his ability to draw in people, you don't get any better choice than Chris Pratt.

DarkFlow

Banned
Not this crap again.
Why on earth do a recast when Ford is still willing and able to play Indy again?
Ford is Indy, no question.
Just create a new character with Pratt, he certainly seems popular enough to pull that off.

He's 72 years old. That's not a very exciting Indy.

styl3s

Do it

He was actually Sony's first choice, but he turned down the role.
If you would of told me this before Jurassic Park trailer came out i would of said something along the lines of "Smart man, he's hot right now and doesn't want to ruin it by leading in a shitty movie"

Then i saw the Jurassic Park trailer. Also, Pratt is going to end up like Cooper, the Green Lantern guy and that guy from Drive, he's gonna stay hot for another 2 years and then nobody is going to care about him until he comes back and does a super serial role.

Not this crap again.
Why on earth do a recast when Ford is still willing and able to play Indy again?
Ford is Indy, no question.
Just create a new character with Pratt, he certainly seems popular enough to pull that off.
Nobody outside of the Indy jerk circle wants Ford. He's 72, looks 172 and his performance in the last Indy was completely forgettable. Besides, Indiana Jones is like Star Wars, there is only 1 memorable film in the franchise.

Pratt is too goofy. The whole movie would be him spouting dumb jokes. Jones is a funny character, true, but a more witty and sarcastic brand of humor than Pratt's oddball style schtick.

Again, what he's doing in Guardians isn't that far removed from what Ford was doing in Indy. Not at all.

Part of being Indiana Jones is being goofy. Not overwhelmingly so (and Pratt wasn't overwhelmingly so in Guardians, either) but definitely goofy. He gets his ass kicked. He has dumb ideas and has to scramble to get himself out of them. He makes dumb jokes.

Indiana Jones is a guy PRETENDING to be cool really, really hard. And we like him because just enough holes get poked in that facade to let us see him struggling. And he's doing what he does for the right reasons, so we're more than happy to follow this imperfect, hyper-passionate COLLEGE PROFESSOR WITH A BULLWHIP.

Chris Pratt pretending to be a hardass thief who can't stop himself from doing the right thing when pressed is VERY similar to Indiana Jones.

Timeaisis

Indiana Jones is a guy PRETENDING to be cool really, really hard. And we like him because just enough holes get poked in that facade to let us see him struggling. And he's doing what he does for the right reasons, so we're more than happy to follow this imperfect, hyper-passionate COLLEGE PROFESSOR WITH A BULLWHIP.

Uh...what? Indiana Jones is one of the most effortlessly cool characters in cinema history. That's the Harrison Ford brand of acting right there. I don't see Pratt there at all. Besides, can you really see Pratt seriously being a professor of archaeology?

Maybe I'll reserve judgment until I see Jurassic World if he's got some more serious range, but Pratt's brand of acting is not at all similar to Ford's.

GotG was great, but, let's admit Starlord is goofy as shit. Which is fine, works for that movie and character. Doesn't work for historical fiction set in the 1930s with a globetrotting archaeologist. Unless there's some movie I'm not aware of where Pratt is doing something other than his usual goofy thing, I'll remain skeptical of this choice.

Again, what he's doing in Guardians isn't that far removed from what Ford was doing in Indy. Not at all.

Part of being Indiana Jones is being goofy. Not overwhelmingly so (and Pratt wasn't overwhelmingly so in Guardians, either) but definitely goofy. He gets his ass kicked. He has dumb ideas and has to scramble to get himself out of them. He makes dumb jokes.

Chris Pratt pretending to be a hardass thief who can't stop himself from doing the right thing when pressed is VERY similar to Indiana Jones.

It's worth noting that Indy doesn't do the right thing, which would be to blow the fuck out of the ark of the covenant with a bazooka. No he fails to rob the Nazis of this ultimate weapon and God has to come along and sort everything out.

While there are similarities to the characters, there are also elements to Indy just not present in any role Pratt has played. I'd point to Face in the A Team remake as a far more Indy like character. He was smart, charming and tough. Minus the whole 'be as good as Hannibal' arc which frankly felt forced anyway but hey, they shoved the whole 'fortune and glory' thing into temple of doom.

Not that I don't think Pratt could do it, just that there's parts of Indy unlike any of the characters I've seen him play. I honestly do have trouble picturing him playing the scene with the G Men at the beginning of Raiders but that could simply be a failure of imagination on my part.

My real concern with Pratt in this kind of movie isn't playing smart, which I've never seen him do to judge. my problem is his performance in FX shots which I have seen and didn't like. I didn't buy him there at the end of GotG the way I bought Ford tied to that stake. Every time they did the helmet too, he had this pained expression. He's at his best with something to react to it seems so putting him in all of these effects driven movies is a bummer.

Even if he nailed the role, he would not bring in an audience like Pratt would.

If we consider both the ability for the actor to portray the character and his ability to draw in people, you don't get any better choice than Chris Pratt.

What about my other casting suggestions on this page? Surely any one of them would bring an audience in.

RDreamer

Hollywood, STAHP. Chris Pratt doesn't work in these types of roles. I know you want him to. He's sort of close, but he just doesn't cut it in my opinion. I was able to tolerate it in Guardians, but what in fuck are you thinking with Jurassic Park and now this. Stooooooop

Uh...what? Indiana Jones is one of the most effortlessly cool characters in cinema history.

No. There's a tremendous amount of effort being put in. Again, that's why he works. He's not James Bond. He's a college professor with a bullwhip, getting into shit he has no business getting into, and barely getting out of it. It's not effortless at all.

Harrison Ford isn't "effortlessly cool". He's cool, yeah. But he sure as shit isn't smooth about it. Indy resonates because Indy gets kneecapped from time to time.

In fact, I'm confused as to how you could consider Han Solo, or Indy Jones, OR Rick Deckard as "effortlessly cool" in any way. They're constantly getting their shit ruined and being proven wrong.

It's worth noting that Indy doesn't do the right thing, which would be to blow the fuck out of the ark of the covenant with a bazooka.

That's not really the right thing, though. Which is borne out by the end of the movie. Nothing about Indiana Jones' character suggests he'd be fine with taking a bazooka to an artifact that important/valuable, either. That'd be absolutely the WRONG thing for Indiana Jones to do. Which is why he can't do it.

But this is a weird nitpick guaranteed to derail the thread down a rabbit hole of letters-to-the-editor Wizard Magazine theoryfighting, so let's not get into that if we don't have to.

Farmboy

I like the idea of Pratt in the role but would prefer it if they stuck to the original continuity somehow (ie. we're still in a universe where Raiders 'happened', even if that means the horrid Crystal Skull did too).

So that means either filling in blanks in Indy's past with Pratt as a recast Indy (in the 1930s, considering his age) or going to the early 1970s with Pratt as a recast Mutt. Upshot of the latter scenario is you could still include Ford. Downside is Crystal Skull gets a bit too much acknowledgement.

Loxley

I would much, much rather they just make an Uncharted movie and cast Pratt as Nathan Drake - he's much more suited to that character than Indiana Jones. When i think Jones I

That shit belongs to Fillion goddamnit

People need to just accept the fact that this will never ever happen. Chris Pratt has ridden into town and stolen the "jokey but lovable goofball badass" crown from Fillion.

I would much, much rather they just make an Uncharted movie and cast Pratt as Nathan Drake - he's much more suited to that character than Indiana Jones. When i think Jones I

People need to just accept the fact that this will never ever happen. Chris Pratt has ridden into town and stolen the "jokey but lovable goofball badass" crown from Fillion.

Pretty much, I always Bradley cooper would have been a better choice than Fillion, since he can actually carry a movie.

Flappy

Banned
Please no.

I like Pratt, but he is too much of a goofball. The Indy actor needs to be a proper straight actor (Straight as in serious).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom