• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Disney Eyeing Chris Pratt For Indiana Jones Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could probably go the James Bond route with Indiana Jones and I'd be fine with it. Same character, different actor worked for that series and they are both fun action movies.

People are too stuck on "the original." I grew up with this series and love them, but Indy isn't some fascinating character. The series is a package deal, not a character study. Not trying to undermine the character or anything like that, but it's good because of the story, action, and settings, not because Indiana Jones is some amazing character. The iconic status is there, sure, but a number of actors could have pulled it off to the same effect. It's just that Ford was the original and people are used to that, and any kind of change is sacrilegious.

I wonder how they'd reboot the series. Would it still take place in the WW2 era? Would it just be a remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark, or would it be a new story?

I'm open to the idea of Pratt in a reboot, as long as it's not like Temple of Doom. Temple of Doom was so bad. So, so bad. So much worse than Crystal Skull.

Few years too young, and I don't think he could ever look as pissed as Ford. Pratt just seems like the kind of guy who never gets angry.

Philippo

I told you he was going to be the next Harrison Ford roles-wise (first as a Han Solo-ish Starlord, now as Indy), where is my money now.

Sephzilla

i8zYiT3.jpg

fuck that.

I'm on team Bradley:

bp6wgp7.png

I'm 100% okay with either of these options.

Santar

Not this crap again.
Why on earth do a recast when Ford is still willing and able to play Indy again?
Ford is Indy, no question.
Just create a new character with Pratt, he certainly seems popular enough to pull that off.

Sephzilla

Not this crap again.
Why on earth do a recast when Ford is still willing and able to play Indy again?
Ford is Indy, no question.
Just create a new character with Pratt, he certainly seems popular enough to pull that off.

Crystal Skull convinced me that Ford shouldn't play the role anymore. I have no desire to see an old past his prime Indiana Jones

CloudWolf

I love Pratt in Parks & Rec and he was easily the best part of Guardians, but this... No. Just leave Indiana Jones alone, Disney, nobody can replace Ford.

I feel like he's just about old enough at 35 but he doesn't actually have a mature look to him when Harrison Ford did when he played the role at 39.

He also has to pull off this look:

9800384218ff8e8bc15a0619888f2a55.jpg

And I just don't know if I can buy it from Chris.

I almost think now that Timothy Olyphant has finally started to age that he could pull it off. He can deliver the one-liners (Justified is full of them) but he's probably just too skinny.

fx-justified-timothy-olyphant.jpg

I dont know it's hard to imagine Indy as anyone else but Harrison Ford. I want a successful reboot to erase that 4th movie but I don't know if Chris is the one.

Glass Rebel

Pratt is hot right now so it makes sense. I'd personally welcome it with open arms but I wouldn't mind Bradley Cooper either.

Sephzilla

I think Cooper would make a better Indy than Pratt to be honest. I'm also 100% okay with them recasting the role. Bond survived after Connery left.

Not this crap again.

Seriously though, c'mon. No he's not. He's not able. He's too fucking old.

Han Solo is his last action movie hurrah. Or at least it should be. It probably better be.

-griffy-

Banned
I almost think now that Timothy Olyphant has finally started to age that he could pull it off. He can deliver the one-liners (Justified is full of them) but he's probably just too skinny.

fx-justified-timothy-olyphant.jpg
Yooo, you just made me think of Olyphant as Joel in The Last of Us movie.

Blader

Pratt: YES!
Reboot: NO
Continuing adventures of Indiana Jones: YESSS!

I assume by reboot they just mean recasting the role. Indiana Jones isn't some plot-heavy, continuity-rich franchise, there's no reason to reboot-reboot it. Unless they wanted to do an origin story of young Indy.

They're totally doing an origin story of young Indy aren't they

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Pratt: YES!
Reboot: NO
Continuing adventures of Indiana Jones: YESSS!

This exactly. The Young Indiana Jones series proved that you CAN have another actor play Jones. I'd love to see all new Indy adventures. There's plenty of space in between and around the existing films for more. It's a franchise that is made for serialization.

And I think Pratt is a perfect fit. He won't be exactly like Ford, but he can pull off the humor, charm and physicality the role requires. Bring it on.

thefro

I feel like he's just about old enough at 35 but he doesn't actually have a mature look to him when Harrison Ford did when he played the role at 39.

He also has to pull off this look:

9800384218ff8e8bc15a0619888f2a55.jpg

And I just don't know if I can buy it from Chris.

It's not that hard to look like a professor. Tweed jacket + bow tie + right haircut will do it.

Rookje

Pratt is too Pratt in every role he's in, which is the perpetual frat guy dope. Indiana Jones has a more passionate, driven, perfectionist and serious personality which I don't Pratt can pull off. Ford and Pratt are actually both not very good actors in terms of range, but they're very good at the types of roles they usually play. I can't even think of a mainstream actor that can emulate Ford's Jones.

And no on Bradley Cooper. Zero charisma.

Lamel

Banned
Dunno if I can take him seriously yet. He seems best fit for lighthearted roles from what I have seen, and his acting in the JP trailer is so cheesy.

He can certainly LOOK the role, but will he be able to act it? Dunno how I feel about this.

Neoxon

Just pull a James Bond. Continue with the story
, & maybe retcon Crystal Skull,
except with a new actor.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Pratt is too Pratt in every role he's in, which is the perpetual frat guy dope. Indiana Jones has a more passionate, driven, perfectionist and serious personality which I don't Pratt can pull off. Ford and Pratt are actually both not very good actors in terms of range, but they're very good at the types of roles they usually play. I can't even think of a mainstream actor that can emulate Ford's Jones.

And no on Bradley Cooper. Zero charisma.

Let's see Pratt in Jurassic World first before we write him off. His character doesn't look like a frat guy dope in the trailer, anyway. He seems (at least a bit) more serious.

I haven't seen Pratt do anything with gravitas yet. He's charming, but still too boyish. Indy needs the ability to be taken seriously - a little curmudgeonly - along with goofiness. I'd like to see Pratt pull it off.

I don't know, Pratt is so relatable and down to earth that I don't know if he works in a role as vicarious as Indy.

Harrison Ford had charm but a suave and cool personality on top of that to make him a character the viewers wants to channel themselves through. Pratt is down to earth, fun and accessible so that element of "wanting to be Indy" would be so much harder to sell.

It's kind of like if they'd cast Chris Hemsworth as Bond. He's a cool and good looking dude, but a bit too bumbling and goofy to be sold as Bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom