• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm ready to upgrade the whole thing... (PC upgrading advice)

my PC's specs:

-A64 3200+
-1GB RAM Corsair (Value)
-9800pro, its dieing on me, cuz I've overclocked it alot

so.....

upgrade?

I can't play BF2 at full :( .. well I can, but the frames aren't soo stable at 6x AA, on 2x they are with dips here and there...

so is it worth it to upgrade now? wait? get another graphics card?

I dunno what to do

help..

Amir0x

Banned
Save the left one and avoid upgrading so that you can have even more money! It's the appropriate response because it sounds like your computer is pretty ok, outside of the 9800 pro which is on its death bed.

ok .. so buying a whole rig is useless I guess...

so which graphics card should I go for, if I decided to buy one?

or should I wait for the new cards which are due, umm when?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
no point buying a step below the current high-end graphics cards because you already have one effectively.

So that leaves getting a 6800GT. Ideally with 256MB RAM. If you wait until the new cards come out, the 6800s will come down in price, but that seems the best combination with your mid-high end pc config - its not bleeding edge, so no point putting a bleeding edge GFX card in it.

Slo

Is your A64 a Socket 939? If so you're in good shape, you can probably keep your cpu and ram. Just get an Nforce4 SLI motherboard and a 6800GT (PCI-E version). Add a second 6800GT when you have funds. You might need a better power supply, I'm reading that the G70s will require a 500W PSU, with 26A on the 12V rail for a single, 34A for the SLI.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Oracle Dragon said:
Choice #1 - Spend $600 on a new video card. (6800GT or X800)

Jesus. Who the hell pays $600 for a 6800Gt or X800?

Id say...keep your current card for a month or so. nVidia's new cards should be available by then. Get one of those, or grab a current card at reduced price.

But really...you couldnt run BF2 maxed out without a few dips and this is a sign to you that you must upgrade your whole rig? You must have alot of $$$.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Wow, I guess some pople like throwing money away. If you're itching to spend like that, just give it to charity, or invest in something.

Top Bottom