• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm so glad Exp.Share in Pokemon ORAS is a thing

So I've been playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire recently and I've been really enjoying it because of Exp. Share. Knowing that I can add any Pokemon in my team and that after a few battles it won't completely useless compared to the rest of my team is a really good thing. Anyway, I wasn't paying attention when XY/ORAS first released: was there a lot of complaining about the New Exp.Share? I can see Pokemon purists or whatever complaining that it makes the game too easy, and I don't think they're wrong. It totally makes the game easier, but I guess that's why I have been enjoying Alpha Sapphire so much.

What did you think of Exp.Share? Would you like to see it in future Pokemon games or would you only want it back if it was severely nerfed?

Hatchtag

Banned
It's one of the biggest things that keeps me from ever replaying 6th gen games, because it along with Mega Evolutions and a variety of other things has killed any sense of difficulty the campaigns ever had. It turns the campaigns from fun games into boring chores that serve only as a blockade before getting into the multiplayer.

Dominator

Use it, love it. I don't have the time to train everyone separately, so its very useful. No doubt makes the game easier, but not less enjoyable for me.

J@hranimo

Banned
Exp. Share is always welcomed. It's good for your first time through a pokemon game.

I used it a good bit in Pokemon X cause it was all new. I didn't use it in Alpha Sapphire because I've played the 3rd gen games a good bit and wanted it to be at least a little challenging haha.

The complaint is pretty strange to me. Like, if you don't want to make your easy, don't use it. Simple!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I like it since I only roll with 1 Pokemon which usually meant something like a lv 7 Spearow to Fly. This way, it can be like lv 30 and be of some use when catching Pokemon/taking an extra hit to use items.

You can turn it off anyways. :/

Hatchtag

Banned
Exp. Share is always welcomed. It's good for your first time through a pokemon game.

I used it a good bit in Pokemon X cause it was all new. I didn't use it in Alpha Sapphire because I've played the 3rd gen games a good bit and wanted it to be at least a little challenging haha.

The complaint is pretty strange to me. Like, if you don't want to make your easy, don't use it. Simple!

The problem is EXP Share isn't the only thing making the games too easy. If it was, the complaint would be much less there. The problem is the games have an absolute ton of new features that are really cool-EXP Share, Mega Evolutions, more Gift Pokemon including legendaries, Pokemon Amie, and Super Training to name a few-but also make the games easier, and don't rebalance themselves around them. Having to ignore almost all of the features that the new games bring in order to enjoy it just raises the question of why should someone play the new games in the first place?

EDIT: I also don't get complaints about time consumption, because the way older games are balanced, there was never any need to grind unless you sucked. You're not saving any time with EXP Share, aside from that you're maybe one-hitting everything because you're overleveled. If you're talking about completing the Dex in the postgame, yes, that's true and that's where EXP Share should be. But in the main game, it really does not save any time.

Escargo

I absolutely love the new exp share. Less time needed to play through the game while still enjoying the gameplay. The complaints never made sense. Its always an option to turn it off too.

I mean, it's not like Pokémon is too hard either way. I'd sooner have an easier adventure that I finish because it's better-paced, than a poorly paced one that's harder.

It's one of the biggest things that keeps me from ever replaying 6th gen games, because it along with Mega Evolutions and a variety of other things has killed any sense of difficulty the campaigns ever had. It turns the campaigns from fun games into boring chores that serve only as a blockade before getting into the multiplayer.
I mean, I'd understand if the games were designed around Exp. Share and Mega Evolutions and you were forced to use them even when you have the option to ignore them but from what I've played they're not. Like, you can do a perfectly good campaign run without Exp. Share and stuff. Super Training, Exp.Share, Mega Evolutions, etc. are all there for the coolness factor and to make the game easier for people who don't have a lot of time to train and retrain their teams.

The only other thing I can say about EXP Share is that they should give you five options:

1. Let you share with only one other Pokémon
2. Let you share with only two other Pokémon
3. Let you share with only three other Pokémon
4. Let you share with only four other Pokémon
5. Let you share with all Pokémon

Crayolan

If being a few levels under your opponents=completely useless then I really question your skill at pokemon.

The complaint with the thing is that it's completely broken. The game is not at all balanced around it and if you use it for the entirety of the game you will end up about 20+ levels over your opponents when you finish the game.

Personally I'd like to have the old exp share back for the main game then have it upgraded to the new exp share in the post game.

I really like it but sometimes i wish you could limit the exp share to just one pokemon, my team is so over leveled now :( all i wanted was to gallade at a decent level and now my squad just blows everyone else out of the water without even trying
The only other thing I can say about EXP Share is that they should give you five options:

1. Let you share with only one other Pokémon
2. Let you share with only two other Pokémon
3. Let you share with only three other Pokémon
4. Let you share with only four other Pokémon
5. Let you share with all Pokémon
Yea basically this

If being a few levels under your opponents=completely useless then I really question your skill at pokemon.

The complaint with the thing is that it's completely broken. The game is not at all balanced around it and if you use it for the entirety of the game you will end up about 20+ levels over your opponents when you finish the game.

Then don't use it for the entire game :p

Honestly at this point I couldn't care less about the challenge, I just wanna raise Pokémon and reach the end

Personally I'd like to have the old exp share back for the main game then have it upgraded to the new exp share in the post game.
But I really don't care about my skill at Pokemon at all. That's the thing, Exp.Share is there for people who just want to catch Pokemon, watch them level up and evolve and then watch them do cool shit but without taking hours to get to that point. I've beaten Pearl, Black, and White 2 and while I enjoyed them I'm enjoying Alpha Sapphire more because of Exp. Share. idk

Crazyorloco

I think exp. Share encourages players to use different pokemon...i use to keep the same 5 or 6 pokemon throughout the game, now i can use anyone...i might be behind for a few matches but my rattata is eventually coming to kick your ass.

Crayolan

Then don't use it for the entire game :p

Honestly at this point I couldn't care less about the challenge, I just wanna raise Pokémon and reach the end

Well that's exactly what I did in OR. Unfortunately because they used the trainer teams from Ruby/Sapphire instead of Emerald it was still really easy, at least until the Groudon Battle. Everything from there on was great. The E4 was actually a decent challenge, and Steven even took me multiple attempts to beat. Couldn't have been happier with the endgame.

Maengun1

I like it too. I know this is sacrilege to a lot of people here, but as someone who still loves gaming but has less and less time to do it, I welcome things that make games easier and faster to play through (with some exceptions).

And yeah it's totally optional.

Hatchtag

Banned
Has SP Pokemon ever been hard?

No, but NeoGAF and other gaming outlets seem to be more and more thinking that every game is either Dark Souls or a movie with buttons in terms of difficulty. Pokemon has never been difficult, but it's also never been boringly easy.

But anyways, I've made this argument at least 5 times before on GAF and it always ends up exactly the same. I'm gonna dip before I end up wasting more time rehashing the same argument :p.

takriel

You don't have to use Exp Share and Megas if you don't want to...

I never use the new EXP share specifically because it makes the game too easy for me. It just seemed to work against the theme of "building bonds" between you and your pokemon and takes away any challenge that would have been there to begin with.
That being said, I think it's a great item in terms of helping newcomers ease into the franchise, but it can easily become a crutch.

kirby_fox

Banned
Experience share made the games easier. Training before that took forever, and tons of hours grinding in one area. I remember in gold I had all these pokemon trained by switching out at the beginning of a battle.

Now you can do that with a lot more Pokemon at once. I just wish you could make it so that you could choose which ones got experience.

It made X and Y easier for sure, but that isn't why I stopped playing. There's way more to it than that.

PBalfredo

Real talk, having the battle mode default to Switch instead of Set is more "Easy Mode" than Exp. Share, Mega Evolution or anything else ever was.

"Rival Buttface is about to send out Pidgeotto, would you like to immediately send out a pokemon with type advantage for free?"

Experience share made the games easier. Training before that took forever, and tons of hours grinding in one area. I remember in gold I had all these pokemon trained by switching out at the beginning of a battle.

Now you can do that with a lot more Pokemon at once. I just wish you could make it so that you could choose which ones got experience.

It made X and Y easier for sure, but that isn't why I stopped playing. There's way more to it than that.
Why did you stop? I find gen 6 games to be pretty good so far honestly... but I don't really know the in and outs of pokemon games

Crayolan

But I really don't care about my skill at Pokemon at all. That's the thing, Exp.Share is there for people who just want to catch Pokemon, watch them level up and evolve and then watch them do cool shit but without taking hours to get to that point. I've beaten Pearl, Black, and White 2 and while I enjoyed them I'm enjoying Alpha Sapphire more because of Exp. Share. idk

You sound like you just wanna mash an attack and see your pokemon destroy everything. If that's what you want out of pokemon, fine, but it's certainly not what I want.

I think exp. Share encourages players to use different pokemon...i use to keep the same 5 or 6 pokemon throughout the game, now i can use anyone...i might be behind for a few matches but my rattata is eventually coming to kick your ass.

I like to build a team of 6 pokemon and work with that team throughout the entire game. It's how I've pretty much always played the games and how I still want to play the games. Raising a team of more than 6 doesn't appeal to me.

No, but NeoGAF and other gaming outlets seem to be more and more thinking that every game is either Dark Souls or a movie with buttons in terms of difficulty. Pokemon has never been difficult, but it's also never been boringly easy.

But anyways, I've made this argument at least 5 times before on GAF and it always ends up exactly the same. I'm gonna dip before I end up wasting more time rehashing the same argument :p.

Seriously, people don't seem to understand that there's more to difficulty than piss easy and ultra hard. Despite what people think there are actually differences in the difficulty of the gen 6 games and the gen 5 games and any other generation's games.

RAWi

So... don't use them :D. You can play these games without using EXP Share or Mega Evolutions. So yea.

Devil

The XP Share is great. Makes it easy to lvl up your Pokemon. The problem is the balancing in general. It is no fun if any gym leader is a total pushover, or the league, without any grinding.
And no, I don't want to turn it of either, I don't get that argument. I have it turned on because it is convenient to lvl up a newly caught Pokemon which is often very underleveled and would therefore otherwise be useless unless you go back and grind with that Mon. Thats not difficult, its boring. I don't have it turned on because I want an easy mode.

The game should give you the option to turn it off or on just once in the early game. After that it should be permanent and balanced around your decision. If people want an easy mode, just add a difficulty setting... But I don't want to take the convenience of the XP share away from myself just to have a challenge.

I loved it...sometimes training an entire team can be kinda tedious and this helps alleviate that. Don't care about the challenge, I play Pokemon for other reasons than a challenge.

The game isn't balanced for the exp share. It even trivilises a nuzlocke run once you get it, forget regular runs.

An exp all item like gen 1 isn't a bad idea, but gen 6 exp share is stupid broken(like most gen 6 additions actually...)

Maximus.

Uhhh there's a ton of issues Pokemon has that makes it a very easy series. They just made an easy game even easier. To say these changes made the campaign too easy is laughable. The games may have previously been challenging because you were younger.

MSScaeva

Neo Member
I play with the Exp. Share off because that way I actually have to use Pokémon if I don't want them to fall behind. That combined with the "set" battle style makes the game much more enjoyable to me.

I still think the held item Exp. Share is better because it doesn't generate extra exp, and because it's an actual choice the player has to make (Do I reduce the exp my other Pokémon get and leave this one without a held item?). That combined with the scaling exp of Gen 5 and the difficulty of Black and White 2's Challenge mode make for a much more satisfying experience than XY and ORAS.

Hey, guys, noob pokemon player here. First and foremost, don't like it, don't use it. Seriously. No point in complaining.

Now, for some questions:

1. I've played only the first two gens, and, as far as I remember, both gens have exp share in them, so why the complaining about it now? Do they give it to you earlier?

2. To my knowledge, pokemon that don't fight don't get as many stats gains. They only get the base level up gain, not the extra you get. Am I correct? Because of that, I've always avoided using it.

Uhhh there's a ton of issues Pokemon has that makes it a very easy series. They just made an easy game even easier. To say these changes made the campaign too easy is laughable. The games may have previously been challenging because you were younger.
I thought BW2 was mildly challenging.

I was 20 when it came out.

Zalman

I love it because it takes away grinding. I don't have as much time to play as I used to. It's optional if people don't want it.

Crayolan

Hey, guys, noob pokemon player here. First and foremost, don't like it, don't use it. Seriously. No point in complaining.

Now, for some questions:

1. I've played only the first two gens, and, as far as I remember, both gens have exp share in them, so why the complaining about it now? Do they give it to you earlier?

2. To my knowledge, pokemon that don't fight don't get as many stats gains. They only get the base level up gain, not the extra you get. Am I correct? Because of that, I've always avoided using it.

I think this is how it works, someone correct me if I'm off on the numbers:

In gen 1 the exp share gives half of the exp to the pokemon in battle and divides the other half up evenly between your whole party (including the one who got the first 50%). Pokemon benefitted by the exp share don't get stat exp either. It was kind of shit.

In gen 2-5 the exp share is a hold item. The pokemon in battle still gets full exp, while the pokemon holding the exp share gets an additional 50% exp. EXP share holder will gain stat exp/EVs just like the battler. 150% exp total.

In gen 6 the exp share is a key item which affects the entire team. The pokemon in battle gets full exp, and then on top of that, every pokemon in the team gets an additional 50% exp. Every pokemon in the team will get their EVs. 350% exp total. It's completely broken.

Edit:
This is wrong.

Gen 1 just splits it between every mon. Gen 2 - 5 is 50% exp to the Pokemon holding it and the other 50% is split between every mon that participated in battle. However, if the Pokemon holding it participates in battle they get half of that other 50% for a total of 75% exp.

Only Gen VI has bonus exp.

ss-hikaru

But I really don't care about my skill at Pokemon at all. That's the thing, Exp.Share is there for people who just want to catch Pokemon, watch them level up and evolve and then watch them do cool shit but without taking hours to get to that point.

Yeah it was nice being able to train/evolve new pokemon in XY that I didn't plan to have in my final team. Otherwise I'd never bother with any of the bugs or ugly ones :p Also being able to change my mind about my main pokemon team mid-game without having to grind for ages was nice. In the past I used to look up the pokemon I wanted before starting the game so I wouldn't end up wasting time, now it's a lot more fun since I actually catch different pokemon and use them before deciding whether I wanted to keep them in my party or not.

hamchan

It's fantastic. I used to blow through these games using literally just one overpowered, over leveled Pokemon. The new Exp Share encouraged me to think about the whole lineup and to switch Pokemon around.

Also the time saving aspect is huge too. Way less time these days to waste in grinding.

I think this is how it works, someone correct me if I'm off on the numbers:

In gen 1 the exp share gives half of the exp to the pokemon in battle and divides the other half up evenly between your whole party (including the one who got the first 50%). Pokemon benefitted by the exp share don't get stat exp either. It was kind of shit.

In gen 2-5 the exp share is a hold item. The pokemon in battle still gets full exp, while the pokemon holding the exp share gets an additional 50% exp. EXP share holder will gain stat exp/EVs just like the battler. 150% exp total.
This is wrong.

Gen 1 just splits it between every mon. Gen 2 - 5 is 50% exp to the Pokemon holding it and the other 50% is split between every mon that participated in battle. However, if the Pokemon holding it participates in battle they get half of that other 50% for a total of 75% exp.

Only Gen VI has bonus exp.

Top Bottom