• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm tired of being the nice guy at work.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I do my best to tune out co-workers and focus on my job. I always keep in mind that I'm only at work to provide a service and get paid for it.

I also keep in mind that I don't really know any of my co-workers or really care about them. When people quit, get fired, or even die, deep down I couldn't care less. I'm just there for the money.

Whenever a co-worker talks to me about non-work related topics, I give boring, simple responses and act disinterested.
I just don't care to socialize at work with a bunch of strangers who I don't know and don't particularly care to know.
I've worked at my present job for almost two years, and I still feel this way about the other people in the office.

Also, I think some of my female colleagues find me "unfriendly" because I choose not to get personal with them. I don't talk about myself or feel the need to share anything. I'm always nice, professional and willing to help however I can. I'm 24 and have been working long enough to learn from my past mistakes about getting too chummy at work.
I don't care if I'm not part of a clique.

I'm tired of acting nice with co-workers just to "get along" with them. Some of them genuinely piss me off and I have to hold my tongue to avoid any kind of conflict or trouble. It's frustrating to say the least.

What is your opinion on this?

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Doesn't sound like you're the "nice guy". Sounds like you're the loner guy.

Your approach isn't an incorrect one imho. You are there for one reason. To make money. You don't have to like them, but you do have to respect them, and vice versa. And socializing with them in a personal level can get in the way of that.

However, you don't want to be off-putting either. You can give them nuggets of your personality to make them think you're an actual person. But never go too deep

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Angry Half Baked GIF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm having a hard time with this. Every job is going to require you to eat some amount of shit. I suggest you get used to it and don't be an asshole to your coworkers.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I do my best to tune out co-workers and focus on my job. I always keep in mind that I'm only at work to provide a service and get paid for it.

I also keep in mind that I don't really know any of my co-workers or really care about them. When people quit, get fired, or even die, deep down I couldn't care less. I'm just there for the money.

Whenever a co-worker talks to me about non-work related topics, I give boring, simple responses and act disinterested.
I just don't care to socialize at work with a bunch of strangers who I don't know and don't particularly care to know.
I've worked at my present job for almost two years, and I still feel this way about the other people in the office.

Also, I think some of my female colleagues find me "unfriendly" because I choose not to get personal with them. I don't talk about myself or feel the need to share anything. I'm always nice, professional and willing to help however I can. I'm 24 and have been working long enough to learn from my past mistakes about getting too chummy at work.

I'm tired of acting nice with co-workers just to "get along" with them. Some of them genuinely piss me off and I have to hold my tongue to avoid any kind of conflict or trouble. It's frustrating to say the least.

Maybe you should stop eating there food.

Do you ever hear, "Has anyone seen my ham sandwich? I just left it here about an hour ago?" Or, "Who took my hot Cheetos out my lunch bag?"

Certain co-workers, no matter how much they have to eat, have no respect for other people's food and are always swiping food or drinks at the workplace.

It's me, I do that... I'm certain co-workers.

Sorry.

200w.gif
ice-t-suspicious-reaction-e1jrrdjrezfjc4f1.webp

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I have been lucky as in my work there is a lot of independence so I am alone more than half the time. For coworkers the mirror technique work pretty well. I found one good friend that I talk with but nothing more. As for being " the nice guy", do you find it harder to do just before a vacation? Maybe you are close to a burnout?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Lol after the reaming you got in the other thread comes the self victimization thread for a little sympathy? You don't have to "act nice" just be professional and courteous. Stop stealing people's lunches you thief.

Meicyn

Gold Member

You’ve got a few decades more of this ahead of you. Better figure out how to compartmentalize it all. Folks who learn to navigate social dynamics are the folks who are successful at life. There are conflicts that demand a man to stand up for himself, but day to day drama? Choppy water at best. Real storms lie ahead, better save your energy for when they show up.

Smooth seas never made skilled sailors.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d rather work for a company where the employees are caring and friendly. It gives the company a culture. I’ve worked with guys who I didn’t have a strong connection with and it made the days suck. I enjoy chatting about games, family, clients, and hanging out at work events.

People skills are important because you need people to pay the bills. The moment the client figures out you’re not nice, that’s when they no longer want to work with you. You get a bad reputation and that will follow you.

There was a guy who would bad mouth every single person. Every single time he hung up the phone he had some negative thing to say. Every single time someone left the room, he would make a comment. It was awful and I remember complaining to the manager at the time. It made working there suck. I eventually left.

Kurotri

Sorry OP but you are on the wrong path. I'm about to turn 29 so I'm not that much older than you, but I was you a few years ago.

You need to change your mindset and start engaging with people. They are in your life. You don't have to love them, but do actually try to meet them halfway. With this sort of mindset, you will wake up one day and you'll be alone. It's a juvenile way to look at things.

Batiman

Banned
Nah I make an effort to get along with all my co workers. There’s a lot of good people at my work and it usually adds up to make the place more positive and fun.
We’re always fucking around or talking shit throughout the day. Some great moments were made at this shithole.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
You sound like the person that's not going to earn any promotions in the workplace.

Half of going to work is socializing and having quality social skills and being well liked by your peers & supervisers. It's part of the job.

Being "good at your work" and simply completing your assigned responsibilities isn't good enough. If you are only doing that, you aren't good at your job.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Bro, you're not the "nice guy". You're the sad cunt who eats other people's lunch. I'm amazed people even bother to talk to you at all instead of beating the shit out of you on the parking lot behind the dumpster.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Gtfo, you steal people's food.

This is what I came in here to say.

How do we even take you seriously anymore. lol

At first I thought you were joking but I just checked and this is the same guy that created that thread too LOL.
I'm sorry OP but you destroyed your credibility with that other thread haha

Maybe you should stop eating there food.

Lol after the reaming you got in the other thread comes the self victimization thread for a little sympathy? You don't have to "act nice" just be professional and courteous. Stop stealing people's lunches you thief.

You steal people's lunch but are tired of being the nice guy. You sir are a sociopath.

Considering the 'I steal food at work' thread, I think it would be hilarious if he just stole someone else's donuts and offered them to everyone lol.

Bro, you're not the "nice guy". You're the sad cunt who eats other people's lunch. I'm amazed people even bother to talk to you at all instead of beating the shit out of you on the parking lot behind the dumpster.
My lunch thread is unrelated to the topic at hand.
I don't know why some of you are bringing this up.

Besides, that was yesterday and today is a new day.

So stop living in the past.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I can just picture the scene as they spot him casually walking past the dumpster, tossing a wrapper.

"LITTLE DEBBIE!??"

Jsisto

Damn, and I thought I was jaded. Not sure what kind of response you’re wanting. I find that a deeply unhealthy way to view work and your coworkers. I’ve worked with plenty of people I don’t like over the years, but common courtesy and the harmless exchanging of pleasantries is kind of required if you’re going to be seeing the same people every day, often more than your actual family. Choosing not to soclialize at all at work will only make things uncomfortable for everyone. You must realize thats not sustainable. Why else would you be asking us for comments?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Damn, and I thought I was jaded. Not sure what kind of response you’re wanting. I find that a deeply unhealthy way to view work and your coworkers. I’ve worked with plenty of people I don’t like over the years, but common courtesy and the harmless exchanging of pleasantries is kind of required if you’re going to be seeing the same people every day, often more than your actual family. Choosing not to soclialize at all at work will only make things uncomfortable for everyone. You must realize thats not sustainable. Why else would you be asking us for comments?
I was hoping if some posters could relate and how they overcame people fatigue at work. Vacations don't help either, because... I have to come back to see them.

My lunch thread is unrelated to the topic at hand.
I don't know why some of you are bringing this up.

Besides, that was yesterday and today is a new day.

So stop living in the past.
I have nothing against your lunch shenanigans. I'm chaotic neutral on this matter. As a matter of fact, you should improvise on my earlier post. Tomorrow steal two lunches and offer one of them to a different employee as an act of random kindness. It's a win/win.

Top Bottom