• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm unable to play ANY Switch game online (error code: 2618-0201)

Lichter

Hi,

I'm a Switch day-oner and my experience with the console has been great so far. Except when it comes to the online area:

First the Wi-Fi chip is weak af but that's not causing the issue I am going to describe. Because I do have access to my friend list, the Nintendo e-shop and everything.

But when it comes to play online (I've already experienced that issue with the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire and now MK8 Deluxe), I can't connect to any online game basically.

jiE6vmR.jpg

The thing is that I have been able to access a few games in Splatoon 2 when I used my phone as a hotspot Wi-Fi, so it was a bit weird.

Yesterday I bought MK8 deluxe and I still have the same issue (error code: 2618-0201) + I can't access the online mode even with my phone's data (different error code this time: 2618-0502).

I've searched for solutions on Internet but the only solutions offered were that: rebooting should solve the problem (it doesn't), and I tried all the possible solutions offered there on this support page: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25866/~/error-code:-2618-0201

I haven't had this issue on any online gaming platform before (I currently play on PC, PS4 and Xbox) and due to the recent release of the console, I can't find people who's on the same situation.

Help please? :p

Check your NAT type. IIRC type A is best for Nintendo systems, or Open should be fine as well. You can also set a DMZ on your Switch so that it should have direct connection to the open internet with no issues being blocked by local firewalls and whatnot.

Pan0u

Même en éteignant complètement la console et en ne la rallumant que quelques longues secondes après, ça ne résout pas le problème ? Et en faisant, puis en redémarrant également ta box Internet ?

If you could never connect then I would ask if your region has the eShop, because unlike the Wii U the Switch blocks people from places without the eShop from playing online (I know some that couldn't play until they changed the store to some place like the US or Canada). However you said you could connect once using your phone, so that's unlikely.

Fat4all

Banned
My launch-day Wii couldn't connect to the internet back in the day, I called Nintendo and they had to send me a new Wii altogether.

vulva

Même en éteignant complètement la console et en ne la rallumant que quelques longues secondes après, ça ne résout pas le problème ? Et en faisant, puis en redémarrant également ta box Internet ?
BTW he's asking if power cycling works

fernoca

My case with Nintendo hardware (3DS, Wii U and now Switch), is that I need to use a static IP and put that IP on the router's DMZ. Is the only way I can play online.

Though with Switch I had to use the regular DND and not Google's. It gives DNS error if I put Google's.

bomblord1

Banned
I had the same issue, a hard shutdown of the Switch console (hold power button for 12+ seconds until the screen goes black) and restart fixed it.

A normal restart (holding the power button and choosing restart) did not.

OnPoint

This will sound stupid so excuse me if you've already done this or it's obvious. Not a troll post.

When people say 'reboot' they sometimes mistake putting it to sleep and waking it up for that. There is a power button on top. Reboot it using that if you haven't.

11redder

As Béarla más é do thoil é.

Lichter

Random but what is your dns server set to? I would recommend the Google one. I think it's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

It was set as "automatic" but I did test Google's DNS, didn't change anything.

Have you contacted support? Seems like you have done everything you could

Not yet but I'll do it if I can't resolve it, + I haven't finished Zelda yet so I don't want to lose my 40+ hours save. :p

Check your NAT type. IIRC type A is best for Nintendo systems, or Open should be fine as well. You can also set a DMZ on your Switch so that it should have direct connection to the open internet with no issues being blocked by local firewalls and whatnot.

The switch says my NAT type is "F" right now. I set a DMZ on my Switch's IP, still the same error code.

C'est le premier réflexe que j'ai eu, sans succès. :/

If you could never connect then I would ask if your region has the eShop, because unlike the Wii U the Switch blocks people from places without the eShop from playing online (I know some that couldn't play until they changed the store to some place like the US or Canada). However you said you could connect once using your phone, so that's unlikely.

I could never connect to an online mode of a game (Splatoon 2 beta and now MK8), but I can perfectly access the e-Shop, I live in France.

It is ur NAT:)
Contact ur provider and ask for an open ip :) worked for me

An open IP huh? �� I'll contact my provider soon then, thanks.

Do a test connection and post your NAT type. It's probably D.

It's worse than that I think, it's 'F'. :(

This will sound stupid so excuse me if you've already done this or it's obvious. Not a troll post.

When people say 'reboot' they sometimes mistake putting it to sleep and waking it up for that. There is a power button on top. Reboot it using that if you haven't.

No problem, I did (truly) reboot it, it didn't work.

ReyVGM

No one is talking about the router's security? That's what fixed it for me.

I was getting a very low wifi signal on my switch and could barely connect to anything online. I entered my router's options and changed the security type to the other option available. I rebooted BOTH the ROUTER and the SWITCH. And now everything works perfectly.

M.D.L

Neo Member
I had this problem too, whenever I join my friends or World Wide I get this error, and also my NAT Type is F.

bkg58xI.jpg

However, when I enabled UPnP in my router settings the issue has been fixed, and now I can play online smoothly.

H9RlrIg.png

Top Bottom