• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of construction for Nintendo's new Kyoto headquarters

Qurupeke

whoa you weren't kiding

nintendo-kyoto-japan-headquarters-building-big.jpg

old

B7yFqXh.jpg

new

Well, it's clearly Nintendo style.

including the unified console and handheld engineer departments

Happening? It's great though if they can get the teams in the same area though; the handhelds and the home consoles should be able to do things together better. To me, 3DS still feels like it's part of the Wii and DS family than the Wii U's family.

Tobor

All projects have been delayed until further notice!

All existing software is tied to the original HQ. Nintendo is filling out police reports to try and have the software moved to the new HQ.

DonMigs85

All existing software is tied to the original HQ. Nintendo is filling out police reports to try and have the software moved to the new HQ.

An army of Pikmin is being assembled now to carry the data over

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I can't believe they're spending so much money on a new building. Yamauchi would never have allowed that to happen.

big_z

red is the new building, blue is the old one. im sure employees will be happy they have bigger windows and no longer have to bunk bed their desks due to space.

nintendo-nuevo-edificio2.jpg

nordique

Oh wow new building is gigantic!

I'd imagine they will keep old building as well

(or will it get torn down?)

anaron

red is the new building, blue is the old one. im sure employees will be happy they have bigger windows and no longer have to bunk bed their desks due to space.

Yeah, I remember it being quite a bit larger. Deceiving pics!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

So, the new building occupies the whole red-marked area? That's around 3-4 times the first building.

Hopefully, we'll see the results of handheld and home teams together right at the start of next handheld gen.

Riki

I'm confused. Is Nintendo moving or did they just build something extra?

They're consolidating their teams so that R&D on games and hardware happen faster and they can all share information instantly so that we don't have the fragmenting like with 3DS and WiiU.

big_z

I'm confused. Is Nintendo moving or did they just build something extra?

the area in red was a vacant lot according to google maps. Nintendo bought the land and built a new building. they are moving both the console and handheld teams which were in separate buildings into the new one. there should be a fair amount of extra space left over so hopefully that means new teams for more Nintendo software in the future. having everyone together is good business which is strange since this is Nintendo.

Hopefully, we'll see the results of handheld and home teams together right at the start of next handheld gen

next gen handheld is years off. well probably see some results this gen providing wiiU survives.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
the area in red was a vacant lot according to google maps. Nintendo bought the land and built a new building. they are moving both the console and handheld teams which were in separate buildings into the new one. there should be a fair amount of extra space left over so hopefully that means new teams for more Nintendo software in the future. having everyone together is good business which is strange since this is Nintendo.

next gen handheld is years off. well probably see some results this gen providing wiiU survives.

Finally, I'd add. This will pay off a lot in the future, especially for things like hardware components and OS. About the results, we could start seeing something on Wii U/3DS, but it's with 3DS successor that we should see the real results of the new organisation.

Doogdogg

Actually I read it was to have R&D in the same house. The current R&D is still at the former HQ, shared with Intelligent Systems.

Kouriozan

Finally, I'd add. This will pay off a lot in the future, especially for things like hardware components and OS. About the results, we could start seeing something on Wii U/3DS, but it's with 3DS successor that we should see the real results of the new organisation.

True.
Found this quote :

In an effort to create more innovative and attractive products, Nintendo Co. will combine the development segments for its home video game consoles and handheld game devices.
The decision comes on the heels of recent releases of the Nintendo 3DS portable system in February 2011 and the Wii U home console last month. With more people using their smartphones and tablets for entertainment via the Internet, including games and videos, Nintendo aims to come up with next-generation game systems that will turn heads.
The two teams will eventually be integrated and the segment will be organized by function, such as circuits, mechanisms and design.

Clefargle

Looks like 2 headquarters duct taped together

Where is my handle Nintendo!?

But can it run Crysis?

New building is 22 windows by 22 windows instead of 18 windows by 18 windows.

HQ has gone HD.

You guys...Heh, this is why I keep coming back.

The 3DS is already 3 years old as of next month. IMHO, we'll get at least a DSi style reimagining in 2 years, if not a successor system. I'm betting on a successor.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
This was a good move by Iwata and company. The only thing they should have done differently was build it sooner.

NewGame

Banned
Quick, someone break in and plant sleeper mics and cameras so we can be flies on the wall when they present and can an F-Zero game.

Azure J

Ive never seen a building that actually finished in my lifetime.

As someone who has lived in walking distance from the site/neighborhood that became Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, this stuff is always fascinating. I remember when it was just a giant ditch that no one was doing anything with, same with the Atlantic Mall right across from it.

Hot damn that's a lot of space.
I wonder if 640SPs could chill in the new space. /WUSTnostalgia ;)

?oe?oe

It's not that much bigger than the HQ. The building doesn't take up the whole red box haha.

iIzHkXp-Imgur.jpg

This is a satellite view from April:
VvfeSP0.jpg

It would have been cheaper to just buy one of the buildings that Sony sold off, but I think I prefer the running aesthetic of "You wouldn't expect Nintendo to be housed here!" Just like how the inside of the NCL HQ was described as looking more like a formal bank's lobby than something resembling a video game company's foyer.

Top Bottom