• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impossible Port - Possible! Doom on the Sega Genesis (Base)

RAIDEN1

Just when you thought you've seen it all when it comes to the Megadrive/Genesis, now comes a video (albeit short) of Doom, running on a BASE Sega Genesis, not 32x but the original model, no Super FX included, (though it is said the cartridge maybe doing quite a bit of the lifting in other ways in order for the Genesis to handle this...) but even so, the game was possible on the base machine...and this video goes to show it could be done...

Aldynes

Well, BLAST PROCESSING folks, turned out it was real all along. :pie_roffles:

Seriously though, so much questions : what are the compromises, size of the rom, tech in the cartridge that allow this to be so much fluid and being very close to the PC original, none of the subsequent ports, even PS1 or worse Saturn managed to pull this.

Neat, but it's probably ultra over sized memory wise, running on some weird tech inside the cartridge that help the GENESIS and just 1 level.

So it would never had been possible back in 93/94.

RAIDEN1

Well, BLAST PROCESSING folks, turned out it was real all along. :pie_roffles:

Seriously though, so much questions : what are the compromises, size of the rom, tech in the cartridge that allow this to be so much fluid and being very close to the PC original, none of the subsequent ports, even PS1 or worse Saturn managed to pull this.

Neat, but it's probably ultra over sized memory wise, running on some weird tech inside the cartridge that help the GENESIS and just 1 level.

So it would never had been possible back in 93/94.
Well its a work in progress, clearly yeah the cartridge must be giving significant assistance...still impressive nonetheless....I never used to think it but in recent years, I've changed my mind that the Genesis despite being an 1987 machine, could still hold its own against the SNES (what I mean is, that yeah it could! :messenger_grinning_smiling: )

Last edited:

Aldynes

Well its a work in progress, clearly yeah the cartridge must be giving significant assistance...still impressive nonetheless....I never used to think it but in recent years, I've changed my mind that the Genesis despite being an 1987 machine, could still hold its own against the SNES
Both consoles are great, love this era with the PC ENGINE / Turbo graphx 16, I've learned yesterday that early games on SNES were slow or suffered from slowdown due to devs choosing to use just 3,58, 2,68, or 1,79 MHz mode on the SNES due to cost maybe ? GAME SACK episode on Homebrew and Hack 3 mentioned that, that explained Super R TYPE, Gradius III, Castlevania IV slowdowns.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Screen layout on the 16-bit consoles is the problem. The reality is that Wolf, Doom, etc. Started on PC because they had byte-per-pixel display modes. There's no way around it other than to add a VERY computationally expensive transitional step that converts a BPP-type screenbuffer into the native mode of the hardware.

Something like the Amiga (which had its fair share of FPS and other 3d titles) suffered badly because the transformation step in itself took multiple frames to accomplish; Ironically doing that as fast as possible was the challenge as opposed to actually getting an engine to support that style of play up and running. The exact same issues apply to 16-bit consoles built to support the sprite / tile playfield model most suited to scrolling platformers and shmups.

Genesis already had Zero Tolerance. While it was no Doom level design-wise (and obviously music-wise), I considered it a competent FPS. Even now it's not completely atrocious, even with the viewport, framerate and control scheme being what they are.

In theory could it have been done on the Sega CD?
Possibly but the colors and dithering would still be present. The screen size would also be a lot smaller and the levels eould be chopped up. It did have a second Motorola 68000 processor but that was still nowhere near the sh processor that the 32x had.

Romulus

Just consider that this is far better than the 32x and Jaguar versions, that should tell you all you need to know about the legitimacy of it running on the Genesis. Both those machines absolutely dusted the Genesis.

MiguelItUp

Pretty wild considering how the SNES port was. Makes you wonder what was really done here differently. Because if "nothing" was done differently, then the difference between the versions is night and day, lmao.

Pretty wild considering how the SNES port was. Makes you wonder what was really done here differently. Because if "nothing" was done differently, then the difference between the versions is night and day, lmao.
The Snes version of Doom had a SuperFX 2 chip which boosted the CPU to 21.477 mhz. The Genesis stock ran at 7.6 mhz. I know the Genesis could be overclocked as there was a segment on TechTV way back when or maybe G4. I don't remember if it was a 14 mhz or a 21 mhz overclock but it did fix the slowdown in genesis games. If we're doing the standard stock then I still wonder how the Genesis did this without any helper chips as the screen is bigger and smoother than both the Snes and 32x versions.

Romulus

Its is real, Krikz guy confirmed:

Of course it's real but that's not a bone stock Genesis. As easy as Doom is to run in 2020, toasters, printers, you can imagine how powerful an assistant coprocessor could be in the cart now, and incredible small.
Theoretically it could run even more demanding games than this.
The fact that this looks noticeably better than the Jaguar version is all we need to know. The Jaguar absolutely obliterated the Genesis in specs. Not even remotely close.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well for starters the fpga is basicaly running the game..

this is kinda like playing ps5 games on the sega gamegear.. using the tv transmitter on it..

UnNamed

Banned
So this means Doom on megadrive uses the FPGA chip as a SVP to run the game. Duke Nukem from Tectoy on the stock megadrive was more impressive.

Nothing to see here.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Impressive, buyt also less impressive because it uses a co-processor to do it. This is similar to Doom on a C64 SCPU and less like Dread (a Doom like game) on Amiga 500. Or Doom on a Sharp X68K.

Top Bottom