• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressive expert vid of Super Metroid 100% Beaten in 55 minutes!

Very impressive video of Red Scarlett (of old GAF fame) beating this game 100%. Here are the links (each one has all the vids):
Link 1 (Archive.org)
Link 2 (Fileplanet)

She does this straight up, on a real Snes with the vcr recording, no odd emu save state nonsense. Obviously a much better gamer than I am. I'd love to see somebody make a Ninja Gaiden vid like this one. I'd like to see somebody beat that game destroying enemy ninjas without all that jumping around I had to do. Expert vids always kick ass. This vid, done in 55 minutes is a record.

A must see for Metroid fans.

I would download it (I'm definitely interested), but I never played Super Metroid and I don't want to spoil the entire game for me in case they ever port/remake it for GBA, DS or GC.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'll download this only if it is, in fact, legit and not using emu tricks like so many speed run videos.

Tritroid

Metroid 3 was really great for getting a pattern going, probably more so than any other Metroid. And after time it was pretty easy to memorize the order of collecting items. 55 minutes at 100% is still damn impressive however.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
adelgary said:
I would download it (I'm definitely interested), but I never played Super Metroid and I don't want to spoil the entire game for me in case they ever port/remake it for GBA, DS or GC.

Man, I hate to suggest emulation (as I don't believe you are a big fan of emulators), but Super Metroid really IS best played on ZSNES. It looks fantastic and when outputted to a TV absolutely CRUSHES the original SNES version visually. Playing it on a TV with a Dual Shock 2 pad easily bests the SNES original (which is where I first played it).

It's a great game, though, and I hope you get to try it!

Tritroid

dark10x said:
Man, I hate to suggest emulation (as I don't believe you are a big fan of emulators), but Super Metroid really IS best played on ZSNES. It looks fantastic and when outputted to a TV absolutely CRUSHES the original SNES version visually. Playing it on a TV with a Dual Shock 2 pad easily bests the SNES original (which is where I first played it).

It's a great game, though, and I hope you get to try it!
Playing Metroid 3 with a Dual Shock is so blasphemous. :mad:

The game should only be experienced with an SNES pad, nothing else.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tritroid said:
Playing Metroid 3 with a Dual Shock is so blasphemous. :mad:

The game should only be experienced with an SNES pad, nothing else.

I prefer comfort and superior function...so I think I will stick to the DS2.

What's the big deal, though?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Jumpman said:
Does anyone know why she disapears while riding the elevators?

My guess would be that the video wasn't recorded at a very high refresh rate, and as the Samus sprite flickers when you're using elevators, it made it seem as though she 'dissapeared'.

Jumpman

tedtropy said:
My guess would be that the video wasn't recorded at a very high refresh rate, and as the Samus sprite flickers when you're using elevators, it made it seem as though she 'dissapeared'.

Ah I see, that seems to make sense.

In the second link, you'll find that Red Scarlet also has the fastest Metroid 1 times in both the fast possible speed run and 100% speed run. All of it is legit. That's the way games should be played, with skill building and competition.

Kon Tiki

Banned
MetatronM said:
I'll download this only if it is, in fact, legit and not using emu tricks like so many speed run videos.

I have seen under 1hour Metroid 3 speed runs on real SNESs, not hard to believe.

Top Bottom