• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressive Super Mario 3D-Land hack (SM64 style camera and new levels) Star Road 2.

He couldn't run because he was controlling with one hand, using the other to hold the camera.

I mean, 3D land was already a slower game... that said, this is VERY early on and he's playing one handed. Check his other hacks, this guy is very legit and the end result will be amazing.

You can question his level design ethos, but not his ability to make impressive improvements to game engines.

Notice that it is being filmed with a camera. I doubt there's someone else holding it up for him.

And besides, Super Mario 64 shows that your idea that open world platforming means everything needs to go slower and enemies harder to deal with is false. Then again, Mario 64 isn't crippled with a super limited move set and digital run button like 3D Land is.

It has nothing to do with the running. I'm saying that having the camera that close necessitates slower platforming. You have less visibility and therefore have to move more slowly. Even if he was running the moment-to-moment gameplay would be slower. It's fine if you prefer it, but it's an inherent difference due to the game presentation.

As far as enemies harder to deal with, it's a simple fact of 3D gameplay. 3D Depth perception on a 2D surface will never be as easy as 2D. It's not possible. Jumping on a goomba in 3 dimensions will always be harder than in 2 dimensions, which of course is one of the problems Nintendo was trying to solve with the stereoscopic 3D for better depth perception.

Alpha_eX

Looks incredible, will check this out when I can. Can't say much for his design skills but his hacking/coding skills are probably the best I've seen in this area, wow.

Side note, those other youtube videos in the OP are weird as fuck.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Experimentation like this is awesome.

You can clearly see the challenge of a good third person camera here though. It's not just about minimising occlusions and the like, but also telegraphing to the player a sense of direction and positioning in the world. I got 'lost' spatially very quickly while watching that. The levels are more obviously designed for a different kind of camera also.

Looks incredible, will check this out when I can. Can't say much for his design skills but his hacking/coding skills are probably the best I've seen in this area, wow.

Side note, those other youtube videos in the OP are weird as fuck.

He's definitely eccentric... But they are how he prefers to show off his works *shrugs*

nkarafo

Ah, a free roaming camera. How i missed you my friend.

I absolutely hate the extremely limited camera in SM 3D World. Why can't i just look back ffs?

Wait what the what?! I never even imagined that N64 games could get rom hacked like NES/SNES games holy shit. I assume you need an emulator to play these and it's not some kind of hardware flash cart or something?

It should be playable on Citra either now, or soon. He's playing it on real hardware, so I imagine a hacked rom works fine on a cfw 3ds.

If you mean the original star road for N64, that can be emulated or a flash cart.

gwarm01

It's been a while since I played 3D Land so someone remind me.. does Mario have the level of control and moveset of Mario 64? I know he was playing with one hand, but Mario looked floaty and loose. I didn't see any somersaults either. I think the movement made sense for the style of game that 3D Land was, but when you put the camera at that level it makes me want super tight 64 style gameplay.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A truly amazing mod job. I would not play the game like that, but still impressive.

ElFly

Experimentation like this is awesome.

You can clearly see the challenge of a good third person camera here though. It's not just about minimising occlusions and the like, but also telegraphing to the player a sense of direction and positioning in the world. I got 'lost' spatially very quickly while watching that. The levels are more obviously designed for a different kind of camera also.

yeah, this is impressive technically, but the 3DL camera style is better for that level layout

a free-er camera was much better suited for something like Mario Galaxy where the areas could curve in any direction

EVO

This is a very good job from the modder, I have never seen such quality from an independent guy, this just confirms me that fucking lazy developers are all around us using unreal engine for every fucking game now...it disgusts me

Yeah, fuck those lazy devs! And fuck those lazy artists for using Photoshop too. Fuck animators for using Maya, and especially fuck musicians for using Pro Tools. Actually, let's just go ahead and fuck anyone using industry standard tools. Fucking lazy bastards!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's impressive to see what they've managed to pull off, but it really does highlight what an improvement 3DLand/World is with the 3D Mario formula.

Galang

Banned
Possibly the most excited I've been for a Mario game in a long time. I kind of wish he could do this with 3D World instead but I'll take it.

Yeah this. Same feeling considering World imo is better in every way, but I'll still take this too..

It's been a while since I played 3D Land so someone remind me.. does Mario have the level of control and moveset of Mario 64? I know he was playing with one hand, but Mario looked floaty and loose. I didn't see any somersaults either. I think the movement made sense for the style of game that 3D Land was, but when you put the camera at that level it makes me want super tight 64 style gameplay.

Nope, but it still felt great for what it was. We haven't really had that level of control since Sunshine.

Top Bottom