• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"In 150 characters or fewer, tell us what makes you unique. "

Blues1990

This, without a doubt, is probably one of the most stupid questions to answer in an application form when applying for a job.

How do I creatively, eye-catchingly, expertly send a Twitter-post length message about who I am and why I would fit the position?! Didn’t I just attach a cover letter, resume, and Storyboard/Design samples? Are they too lazy to make a phone call and get more information from me?

Do they even look at that field to determine if an applicant is a fit for the job? For those who work in an HR department, could you explain to me the point behind this?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Would a regular blonde-haired, blue-eyed right-handed, white skinned man be able to do this?

Then, include a mixtape of you rapping some legit dirty south lyrics.

Regardless of the position, you are hired*

*Due to clever allusion to your most normal qualities. Studies show people oftentimes hire the norm, even when they say they want unique and diverse.

cirrhosis

Millennials in HR are to blame for this, I know it

If it's limited to something so ludicrous as 150 characters, I'd just write "Sorry, I don't use Twitter"

Or some other hot take

Blues1990

Millennials in HR are to blame for this, I know it

If it's limited to something so ludicrous as characters, I'd just write "Sorry, I don't use Twitter"

While I usually write "You should hire me because I am a true person and willing to be corrected for my faults.", I sometimes have the urge to use ”Hire me because I actually took the time to fill in this stupid field that makes no sense in determining how well I can do the job.”

It's so fucking stupid.

Lautaro

Int: "Tell me one of your flaws"

Me: "I have a bit of a temper"

[interviewer raises eyebrows]

Me: "Well, you wanted to know!"

ffs

Blues1990

ffs

LOL, if an interviewer is looking to be wowed like this, then he/she has misplaced priorities. Asking such questions don't provide solid information about the person being interviewed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They're just checking your twitter game. Some people are good at it, some people aren't.

hitme

183dfc8b95cebb552d87d96734085259f855869f57fc5bfe2a48ba0732e4d24f.jpg

Do it OP.

Nicolada

Just put something amusing/charming and short that would make them wanna interact with you. Stop overthinking it.

krang

LOL, if an interviewer is looking to be wowed like this, then he/she has misplaced priorities. Asking such questions don't provide solid information about the person being interviewed.

Other than their ability to exaggerate or lie:

"I'm too conscientious"
"My intellect can be intimidating"

ajb1888

Banned
I am the Harbinger of The Companions; The Archmage of Winterhold; Slayer of the World Eater. All one-handed.

Blues1990

Other than their ability to exaggerate or lie:

"I'm too conscientious"
"My intellect can be intimidating"

For one of my friends, he had the gift of the silver tongue and could manipulate others into hiring him. In his case, lying and exaggerating got him far.

Greedings

Classical interviews and applications are the worst.

What is one of your flaws? Is a stupid question. Either you get honesty, which won't be something good, or you get a bullshit lie about how my flaw is actually a strength!

Eurgh. So lame.

What makes someone unique is 1) pretty much irrelevant to most jobs, and 2) impossible to get across in 150 characters.
All that matters is that you fit in with the people you work with, can do the job, and aren't lazy.

Lautaro

Honesty really is a weakness...

I remember another:

Two interviewers: "well, our company offers stability..."

Me: "Stability is a myth"

Interviewers: O_O O_O

Haha, I guess, 15 years of programming jobs have made me pretty bitter.

Classical interviews and applications are the worst.

What is one of your flaws? Is a stupid question. Either you get honesty, which won't be something good, or you get a bullshit lie about how my flaw is actually a strength!

Eurgh. So lame.

What makes someone unique is 1) pretty much irrelevant to most jobs, and 2) impossible to get across in 150 characters.
All that matters is that you fit in with the people you work with, can do the job, and aren't lazy.

I actually answered once that "In the past I've been honest enough to actually answer this question." And I have been. I was up for a reporting job and answered "sometimes I make typos." It was true. Didn't get the job.

My default answer for my weakness is:

"I develop tunnel vision and end up focusing too much on work"

Which is always followed by them asking fr an example, and I don't think I have ever said a real thing there.

Lautaro

Got the job?

Nope.

Some employers tend to like my personality though but they are usually young-tech-oriented-work-hard-party-hard types the ones that appreciate my agressive and dry personality.

Normal people get scared haha.

Dead Guy

The whole interview process is a bunch of bullshit and I hate it all. No one gives real answers because they don't want to make themselves look bad. Questions like "What is your biggest weakness?" are just a complete waste of time.

"Yeah...uhh...I can be a big procrastinator and get frustrated easily!"

"Great....well it was fun talking to you, we'll let you know if you make it to the next round of the process!"

Doc_Drop

I always enjoy reading CVs/résumés, because the personal statement/tell me about yourself are so often banal

It's so often, I enjoy eating, drinking, talking to people, music, films, holidays, etc

Literally everyone also enjoys these things, dig deep people haha

Trouble

Banned

ffs

True story, I interviewed a guy one time and my VP at the time was with me and asked him if we asked his current boss what his biggest flaw was what would he say. No hesitation he said, "He would say I'm erratic and have anger issues".

I physically facepalmed. No, he didn't get the job.

Fuck 150 characters or less. Fuck Twitter. Fuck Facebook. Fuck social media. Go outside. Talk to people face to face. Live your life. Forget yourself.

Kuraudo

Banned
This, without a doubt, is probably one of the most stupid questions to answer in an application form when applying for a job.

How do I creatively, eye-catchingly, expertly send a Twitter-post length message about who I am and why I would fit the position?! Didn’t I just attach a cover letter, resume, and Storyboard/Design samples? Are they too lazy to make a phone call and get more information from me?

Do they even look at that field to determine if an applicant is a fit for the job? For those who work in an HR department, could you explain to me the point behind this?

The point probably isn't actually to see how unique you are. They want to see how unique you *think* you are. A lot of HR firms believe that feeling overly unique is the sign of a narcissistic personality and therefore a bad fit for any role. In this type of question, they're looking for a bit of modesty that aligns with the majority of candidates. It's absolute bullshit, but so are most of the metrics they use for recruitment.

Aiii

So not worth it

ffs

"I have very low patience when bothered with what I regard as nonsense."

When asked for an example, point out this question.

Peru

What is considered an actual good answer to "what's your flaw?" ? A concrete example, please.

Seems you either list something that's a real flaw and a negative and come off honest but at the same time revealing that you do have a shitty side, or you come up with something flaw-like-that's-actually-almost-a-plus and everyone knows you're bullshitting.

Top Bottom