• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a pic, your favorite multiplayer map of all time (and describe why)

9screen151429shot00.jpg

Hang 'Em High from Halo: Combat Evolved

I don't even know if this is a good map anymore but we played 4 player split screen, rockets only for years back in the day and I have so many fond memories of it. There was something about that combo that was magical.

Jerry

Militia from CS:GO

So many opportunities for big plays, both up close and long range. So many ways to flank for both teams and its a hostage map which gives it a whole different dynamic.

I was (still am) so sick of dust2/inferno/mirage, its a breath of fresh air.

JustinBB7

Some ones not posted yet and not FPS:

Jedi Knight 2: Bespin

ccd3fee34993183dac69b11b86879beb7c2f5ec8.jpg

So many hours of dueling in here. The duel only platform and FFA everywhere else. Great times.

Can't believe nobody posted this one yet, Dota 2:

Classic map, (mostly) the same it came out and still works every time.

Fbh

latest

Blood Gulch - Halo

This.
Mostly for CTF though. The concept with the 2 bases is one I've allways liked and the wide open spaces were cool for vehicle combat.

It also had some high ground that was great for the OP Pistol

Bishop89

Beach Invasion RTCW

Avalanch DoD

I wouldn't call either of these maps best in the games but they were my favorite cause they were always a blast in pubs with large player numbers.They just give me loads of nostalgia.
Avalanche is amazing. One of my all time favourite maps

Didn't warhawk servers shutdown some time ago? Could be wrong of course but I feel like I read that somewhere.

I haven't seen anything concrete or official regarding their shutting down. There are a bunch of discussions revolving around people incorrectly claiming they've been shut down. But each was proved incorrect.

I thought the official servers closed years ago, but you could still run your own ps3 as a server last I remembered.

woopWOOP

hqdefault.jpg

Temple from Super Smash Bros. Melee

The map was huge, maybe a little too huge, but all players would usually go to the same area where the action was. Usually the underground portion (where you could slam people into the ceiling over and over), but sometimes the upper left or upper right areas, depending whether or not some handy items spawned there.

I have to mention some runner ups:
Great Fox - Super Smash Bros. : The huge map from the N64 game. Fun combos could be made at the tail end of the ship.
Block Fort - Mario Kart 64 : Our go to map for our go to battle mode before we had any other fighting/FPS games.
Goldeneye - Facility : Hiding behind doors for surprise attacks was great. Perfect Dark's "Felicity" improved it too.
Octopus - Starcraft Broodwar : The 4 of us would play on large 8-player maps for long games and I remember really liking this one, with its hidden center resources and extra resource spots between starting positions.
CP_Badlands - Team Fortress 2 : I loved CP maps and this one had plenty of wide routes to take towards the enemy base.

Dustbowl (Team Fortress Classic)

275452-dustbowl0001.jpg

The attack/defend playstyle was addictive as hell. I remember playing Dustbowl only servers all night long and being surprised that the sun was coming up already. Such an epic map.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
High Ground (Halo 3)
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/54sgr.jpg[/IMG]

Without a doubt, CTF-Face:
ywmtxdpcynvl1qw9uanj.jpg

Facing Worlds gets my vote as well.

Relaxing music and awesome background of Earth.
Intense sniping duels and truly epic runs to get the enemy flag.
Redemeer and plenty of weapons to go around.
The map that separated children from men who understood the translocator.

AtkO

maxresdefault.jpg

Tharsis Depot - Killzone 2 & 3.

This map has everything, melee encounters, close range and long range battles, no real place to hide, a grenade will always be able to get you out of somewhere. The colors, the music and the SFX were a beauty for the eyes and it played wonderfully.

Crossfire, COD4

Great memories, great map. Balanced mayhem.

Damn that takes me back lol. "Balanced mayhem" seems like a good way to put it.

High Ground (Halo 3)
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/54sgr.jpg[/IMG]

I always felt like this was a really good map but that I didn't play well enough or seriously enough to really play it "right," anybody else ever get that? I mean I played tons of Halo 3, and I don't dislike this map, it just didn't click with my play style for whatever reason.

RtCW Beach
Wolfeinstein+-+Beach.jpg
Yes! It took several pages but 2 posters finally said it.

This was the first map I ever played online, and since I didn't know anything about online FPSs yet I happened to join a 24/7 Beach server in Germany, that meant playing with a 210ms ping. I didn't care, I loved the map and the insanity that could take place sometimes that it was the only server I bothered to join for months. We had a really nice community there, even with the occasional hacker or griefer, it was awesome.

To add my own:

cs_office CS:S
Even though I always wanted to play a Counter-Strike around the time I first played RTCW, I bought Source only as a pack in to play Garry's Mod. Office changed that, joined another 24/7 server with this map and played it non stop for over a year to the point that the server owner himself vouched for me on a hacking accusation once. There was even an article on PC Gamer going down to the details of why this map is so good, but I'm on mobile and can't look for it right now.

Both servers are dead today, the Office one died first because of Awpers, the other one due to IP change I think.

I'd like to add special mentions to:
BF3 Close Quarters maps
CS:GO Office
CS:S High School map (fantastic demolition map, eGo had a 24/7 server

EDIT: Fun fact: I loved both games so much that I made an almost 1:1 port of Beach for Source. Made the bunkers and tunnels 100% but when it was time to map the mountains, grass area and beach I couldn't bring myself to do it due to life stuff. So close but yet so far, maybe I should finish it as a side project.

Fun fact 2: someone did make a Source remake of Beach but it's very different. Think it's just called Wolfenstein.

Protome

Does co-op count? Because the co-op map in SC2 which takes the zombie defence mission everyone loved in Wings of Liberty and makes it cooperative is the best thing.

I can't find a good pic of it though :(

Jisgsaw

Can't believe nobody posted any TimeSplitters map in 5 pages!

Mexican Mission
hqdefault.jpg

Disco
disco.png

Siberia
latest

I miss local multplayer.

MetalSlug

Can't believe nobody posted any TimeSplitters map in 5 pages!

Mexican Mission
hqdefault.jpg

I miss local multplayer.

I just went through all 5 pages checking to see if somebody posted this before I mention it lol.

Loved playing it with 4 player local co-op on the virus mode.

830px-Hangemhigh.PNG

Hang Em High from the original Halo.

Everything about this map is perfectly designed and encapsulates the purpose of map control with snipers, and rocket launchers placed up top.

Hang em High is expertly designed to offer the risk versus reward that all balanced maps should have.

When there's always a battle going on whether or not your willing to put yourself up top where you are venerable to fire in order to get to the power weapons that can turn the tide on the opposing team.

Jisgsaw

I just went through all 5 pages checking to see if somebody posted this before I mention it lol.

Loved playing it with 4 player local co-op on the virus mode.

Oh yeah, forgot to put it in my post, but Mexican Mission was almost exclusively played in virus mode.

Siberia in 4 vs 4 was great too (yes, you could do a 4 vs 4 on Timeplitters, with 2 PS2s and 2 TVs)... Greeat times.

Peltz

Fountain of Dreams in Super Smash Bros. Melee

uti3UxF.png

Not only is the music amazing on this level, it also just feels like a nice, tightly constrained asymmetrical level that creates so many interesting and hectic moments.

The moving platforms gives it a different and more dynamic feel compared to something like battlefield. It's simple but still very memorable.

Oasis in Bad Company 1.

Fighting over the artillery gun, trying to pilot the Apache to do bombing runs, learning to be a sick as fuck Recon player with the motion sensors and bolt action rifles...I really love BC1. I wish it got a PC release so I could play it again.

latest

Easy one for me

bUn7i0a.jpg

Quake DM4

I used to play this with a friend a lot. We were about the same skill level, which made for really intense matches. Fantastic flow and a ridiculous amount of weapon and power-ups for a map of this size made for absolutely brutal fragging sessions.

Awesome stuff.

Lkr

Gulf_of_Oman_32.jpg

gulf of oman bf2
it was the demo map back when games had MP demos. i played at least 50+ hours of the demo on this map before ever getting the full game

Clearos

reviewr1202-1.jpg

Frog Bog. One map, level playing ground. Not even a victory screen. You eat flies, take a nap and let the score board do the talking.

BTHR Zero X

9a0d860ec17d04706ec03c644a41dd73.jpg

Radar Field, Lost Planet.

I spent two years with a few of my buds playing Rifle, Radar Field. Pretty much every day.

Not Lost Planet multiplayer as a whole. Literally just Rifle, Radar Field.

I've played plenty of multiplayer games, but there was something about how Lost Planet controlled; the gunplay; the specific way you shot the Rifle; and the layout of Radar Field; that ended up being magical.

Eventually you would get in a rolling match with someone and it would be intense as hell. It looked stupid, but it was insanely satisfying to roll in circles around each other for like a minute and finally get the headshot.

Hey that's my Picture of Radar Field :p We just because BFF's

as for mine it is Ruins in Lost Planet, after seeing so much snow the lush jungle was a welcome change and it brought with it a nice water canyon to play around into.Lost Planet was an amazing game with great gameplay and is one of my Fav games of all time.

a8285700e53f669fc81aed10d62c9e5f.jpg

Top Bottom