• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-Game XMB! (No, it's still not here)

seb

Banned
I came in here to yell at you but I'll say thank you for the relevant info instead. Do you know what this update is about ?

DoomGyver

consoul said:
Don't get too excited if you see a new firmware notification on your PS3 in the next few days. A minor update (2.36) is set for release shortly.

Well at least it wasn't another pointless bump. thanks.

consoul said:
Don't get too excited if you see a new firmware notification on your PS3 in the next few days. A minor update (2.36) is set for release shortly.
Seriously? I'm almost offended by that. Whatever it is, it must be pretty urgent to rush it out not too long before 2.40.

It IS not too long before 2.40, right?

badcrumble said:
Seriously? I'm almost offended by that. Whatever it is, it must be pretty urgent to rush it out not too long before 2.40.

It IS not too long before 2.40, right?
They did the same thing with 2.17, too. Firmware 2.20 ended up coming two weeks later, remember.

kenta

Has no PEINS
badcrumble said:
What, for 2.40 or 2.36? I can't remember if you're a 100% good source or not but I do recall that there was some discussion about it and that you came out looking pretty decent.
He's legit, but your inquiry about 2.40 or 2.36 needs to be answered!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I hate this thread. Lock this up so we can stop the spread of false hope when it's bumped. =(

Yes, I'm aware of the irony.

Dizzan

MINI Member
badcrumble said:
What, for 2.40 or 2.36? I can't remember if you're a 100% good source or not but I do recall that there was some discussion about it and that you came out looking pretty decent.

Click his tag

Raistlin

isamu said:
Are you kidding me? That is so fucking retarded. That should be MANDATORY on the next fw release! I got mofos bugging me to play other games while I'm in the middle of a race in RR7

You can turn off receiving messages during games iirc.

so I can't do shit about it and appear to be rude by not joining their game? Unbelievable.

I'm pretty sure everyone's aware that there isn't in-game XMB at this time ...

How does that make you rude?

Onix said:
You can turn off receiving messages during games iirc.

I'm pretty sure everyone's aware that there isn't in-game XMB at this time ...

How does that make you rude?

I actually see it as more rude when somebody sends me a message because they know I have to exit the game I'm playing in order to respond to it.

P.S. Nice icon

makingmusic476 said:
We must know!
Yeah, ten more days for 2.40 is a wait that I can deal with, if that's what it turns out to be.

I'm assuming he means fw 2.40 because nobody gives a shit about 2.36, but would like confirmation of that.

2.36's changelog will read "To prepare for a future update"

/joke

Also, if the PS3 gets a link on the XMB to Google, I hope that I can disable it. I definitely do not want.

Iced_Eagle said:
2.36's changelog will read "To prepare for a future update"

/joke

Also, if the PS3 gets a link on the XMB to Google, I hope that I can disable it. I definitely do not want.

Why would they get a link to Google? I hope not.

Anyways 2D triphies are rumored to be in this update and if so do you think we will have to do all the shit again for the games we already played or will that carry over?

AranhaHunter said:
Why would they get a link to Google? I hope not.

Anyways 2D triphies are rumored to be in this update and if so do you think we will have to do all the shit again for the games we already played or will that carry over?
The upcoming PSP firmware 4.00's only reported feature update is a direct link to Google from the XMB (and, presumably, some under-the-hood changes as well).

As for trophies, I'm sure it can't be hard to just read the save files of various games, or start up said game to read a save file and create Trophies. We'll see, but in any case I really, really doubt you'll have to replay games for the accomplishments/trophies (that'd be extremely lame).

Goldrusher

Dizzan said:
Click his tag
You replied to a guy asking if "June 26" is the date for 2.36 or 2.40. The person who said the 26th doesn't have a tag.

consoul said:
Rayne.S said:
26th it is.
badcrumble said:

ChryZ

AmMortal said:
I want to play Folklore, and without In-Game Music, it's pretty lame...
You might think it's lame, but I think you're pretty alone with that opinion.

Most people who played the game will strongly disagree with you.

Jim

AmMortal said:
So wait, we're sure it's this month?

I want to play Folklore, and without In-Game Music, it's pretty lame...

Old games are not going to magically gain support for custom soundtracks w/o a patch.
Folklore has great music though, why would you want to change it?

Personally, I play a game how it was designed to be played, soundtrack included. For better or for worse, its part of the experience.

FYI, I have no idea about 6/26. It's falls within the window that was hinted about, so it's possible. Of course I'll be away on vacation so I'd miss the fun that day if so :p

RuGalz

Jim said:
Old games are not going to magically gain support for custom soundtracks w/o a patch.

Personally, I play a game how it was designed to be played, soundtrack included. For better or for worse, its part of the experience.

FYI, I have no idea about 6/26. It's falls within the window that was hinted about, so it's possible. Of course I'll be away on vacation so I'd miss the fun that day if so :p

Need a preview of the firmware? ;)

Jim said:

Jim, i'm not asking you to give us the specific window you were told about, but please specifically confirm/deny for each specific day between 6/18 and 7/17 :p

So yeah, we're not going to get a date, but as for the userbase reception of this firmware, I think it's largely going to come down to how many old games get patched. It'll be great going forward, of that I have no doubt, but it's my hope that a good amount of third-party games do indeed get patches to give them Trophies, even if they're simple progress-markers based on stats the game already keeps, as opposed to specific tasks that are new to do. Patched-in support for custom soundtracks would also be great, if less likely since it'd almost certainly take more work. I for one won't mind a wave of game patches arriving over the month or so after 2.40 goes live.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jaeyden said:

happysup.gif

dallow_bg

nods at old men
DoctorWho said:
Well, at least they confirmed it but I could see this not coming out for another couple of months considering that we are getting 2.36 first.
2.17 came out like two weeks before 2.20 which everyone wanted.

I bet this update has some behind the scenes network testing for "the big one".

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
domokunrox said:
I like that they said something, but I'd much rather prefer them giving us a date and committing to it.

Yeah. Soon in SONY's language could be 5 months for all we know. I also doubt that they are that close together because if they are surely it would make more sense to create 1 update with all features from both.

Neil

I'm guessing the trophies will be near enough the same as the 360 trophies?
This is good news, until now I have been buying multi-platform games on the 360, purely because of this. Now I can shift back over to the PS3 :D

Top Bottom