• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In holy shit news: Glenn Beck urges conservatives to understand Black Lives Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Friday, the radio and online host Glenn Beck arrived at the annual RedState Gathering with some hard lessons for conservatives. He could not vote for Donald Trump. He had interviewed the independent #NeverTrump candidate, Evan McMullin, and found him too "squishy." Despondent about the choice that faced voters, he had begun seriously "soul-searching" and investigating what he did not know about America.

"You can't be as universally disliked as I am, and not do some soul-searching," said Beck at a news conference before his speech in Denver. "Well, unless you're Donald Trump."

Among Beck's revelations was that the Black Lives Matter movement had a point. Beck, like many conservatives, had criticized the movement as racist and exclusionary. He had led a march in Birmingham, Ala., on the theme of "All Lives Matter." His news site, The Blaze, had written dutifully about well-meaning people who said "All Lives Matter" and were hounded by the politically correct mob.

Americans simply did not understand what black people had been saying about police in America.

The "leaders" of the movement, he said, were "communists and anti-capitalists" whom he could never agree with. "But they're not the people walking behind them in the street," he said. "We're all speaking different languages and we need to talk to each other.
"

Later, from the stage, Beck told the "All Pies Matter" fable again, asking hundreds of conservatives to look past their earlier disgust for the Black Lives Matter movement.

But on Sunday, Beck's appeal crashed into the reality of conservative media coverage of police-involved shootings. Riots broke out in Milwaukee after a shooting; The Drudge Report focused on the harm some rioters caused to white people, while Beck was condemned by Breitbart News for preemptively excusing them.

[Milwaukee unrest continues for second night: One person shot, four police officers injured]

"While Glenn Beck would like people to believe he’s insightful, critics of Black Lives Matter don’t need his hectoring," wrote Breitbart's Lee Stranahan, who is also based in Dallas. "The reason many people — including black critics of Black Lives Matter like [Milwaukee County] Sheriff David Clarke — say 'All Lives Matter' in response to 'Black Lives Matter' is to reject the underlying notion of identity politics."

Beck had returned to his show, which if it did not adopt that take on Milwaukee would stand out on conservative talk radio. He was ready for that. In Denver, he criticized Trump for inciting crowds to boo the media and chant "lock 'em up" at the candidate's behest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-to-understand-black-lives-matter/?tid=sm_fb
Glenn beck is still a large piece of shit but I just... wow. Crazy shit happening in the political sphere this year.

Heroman

Banned
BatistaThumbsDown1.gif

Futureman

yea I think I heard him on NPR the other day talking about this. Honestly I thought it was just some other guy with the same name haha.

Awesome that he's not voting for Trump and asking conservatives to reconsider BLM.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Glenn Beck started out as a middle of the road guy who called out everyone, regardless of party. Then he got Conservative/Tea Party fever to get paid. This may be more of a return to who he used to be.

rtcn63

He already got his Conservative money. Now he looking for some Democrat action and goodwill, what little he can get. Dude is Diablo 3.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I also think their is a segment of the Republican population moving more towards the Neil Boortz style of thinking.

They still hate the government, but they hate the government equally while not being willing to fall on the social conservative sword as readily. That's why you see Beck's stance on LGBT, War on Drugs, BLM ect... being what it is.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Glenn Beck isn't really as nuts many think.

He's also against the war on drugs.

Glenn Beck strikes me as a HUELEN type figure. Lots of bizzare, somewhat contradicting ideas, some good some bad, all being expounded by an attention whore.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Glenn Beck strikes me as a HUELEN type figure. Lots of bizzare, somewhat contradicting ideas, some good some bad, all being expounded by an attention whore.

He's just a big believer in personal freedom and liberty.

He's much closer to Johnson than Trump these days.

Beck has definitely been on a kick of becoming less crazy in the last five years. He's also pro-gay marriage and anti-bullying.

Honestly the last few years he's become more of a libertarian.

I'm not surprised. Although Beck is rightfully thrown in with the far right in the past, he's not strictly a Republican. He's differed from the party line before. And he's smart enough to realize that the future conservative movement has to do something about their minority problems.

CoryCubed

Conservative white people do not have the intellectual capacity to understand what BLM originated as and what it truly means, so they compensate for their inadequacy by turning it into something awful so they can hate it, surviving off their emotions instead of logic. Animals with bigger brains indeed.

I've only selectively read or listened to him. Occasionally he makes sense. He does have people on his show with a different point of view and as long as they're having a discussion and the ideas are getting out there... he's not that bad. He allows people to have disagreements with him and talk it out. Worst guy is still Sean Hannity

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think it's quite telling that the people who I thought were batshit insane 5 years ago, are now looking like paragons of good values and integrity. I'm happy to see that at least some conservatives are able to see that their party has transformed into it's final, Nazi and KKK supported form, and are willing to talk like non-insane people again.

what did Cruz say about BLM?

He didn't say anything about BLM. Apologies, I was referring to certain conservatives that are earning my respect, in Cruz's case it was his whole stance on Trump at Republican convention and his reasoning for not going with him.

Never thought I'd ever say this, but big ups to Glenn.

Didn't he have that incident earlier this year where he actually called out conservatives at/because of the Facebook meeting?

Glenn is more than a little crazy, but he's certainly interesting.

Fury451

Banned
He seemed to be moving towards more moderate views for awhile, or maybe the party just became so distorted and extreme that previous advocates are now calling out the terrible things.

I think people conceptualize him as the far-right crazy nut because he was that a lot more about 5 years ago than he is today; he seems libertarian more than conservative lately. Sean Hannity has replaced him in the totally delusional right-wing bizarro category imo.

I get being cynical about stuff like this, but at the same time I like to think people can genuinely change and become more enlightened.

Aurongel

Someone just found out he was related to black people.

Or perhaps I'm being too snide, praise should be given when it's due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom