• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

CorvoSol

Ohhh I'm easily to please so the voice acting never raised any issues with me. Though I must say Hojo doesn't look or sound like the ideas I had of him from the original game.

I don't mind Hojo, but some lines are just kinda awkward. Aerith, Zack and Sephiroth are great though. Easily the best characters in the game. Angeal is a punk. He's all "I HAVE TO DEFEND MY HONOR EXCEPT WHEN I KILLED MY MOTHER."

I haven't played enough FFs to know this was a thing o.o Evil Clown Guy, Sephiroth, Genesis... none of them are the coolest guys in their games!

The first two you listed are the coolest guys in their games. Golbez, Ex-Death, Kefka and Sephiroth are the kings of charisma for villains for different reasons. Golbez because he's a mother loving pimp and as Dark Schala has illustrated, infinitely more competent than anybody else in the game. Ex-Death because he's hilariously over the top (his laugh in Dissidia tops Kefka's. HWA HWA HWA) Kefka because he steals every single scene he's in. He's unabashedly evil but you can't help but love him because he says stuff like "Run, run or you'll be well done!" and Sephiroth because he just oozed cool in that game. Kuja also is notable because despite being a shapely man he just kinda dominates. Ultimecia not so much in 8, unless you count the parts where she's Edea as her, then yeah, she knows how to talk down to people.

The villains in this series are called BOSSes for a reason. Hell, even Larkeicus in Echoes of Time is a better villain than Genesis
it helps that, even knowing what he's done, you can't help but agree with what he wants to do[/spoiiler] Genesis is just such a complete waste and an awful foil to Zack. If Angeal had been the villain then maybe, but Genesis is horrid.

Was this a thing to? I never followed CC and only got it on a whim 2 years ago. She is nice and I do like her but past her introduction she's been pretty much absent save for DMW flashbacks. I know she'll be back soon but she seems way underutilized for anyone to bother hyping her.

I think she might've been hyped in one of those instances of everybody loving the side character.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Angeal is a punk. He's all "I HAVE TO DEFEND MY HONOR EXCEPT WHEN I KILLED MY MOTHER."
Up until that part he's just your regular moral do-gooder. Nothing super outstanding about him but nothing offensive either. He gets more face time then Cissnei but not enough development. I think maybe CC suffered from being being a portable game. Chapters are very short and people are introduced then not heard from or seen again for awhile. Like they're supposed to be important but being a prequel 10 years later you know they won't be and they also aren't what you're really there for anyways >.<; But as one of the few "faces" of SOLDIER and a mentor to Zack I say he's okay in my book.

The first two you listed are the coolest guys in their games. Golbez, Ex-Death, Kefka and Sephiroth are the kings of charisma for villains for different reasons. Golbez because he's a mother loving pimp and as Dark Schala has illustrated, infinitely more competent than anybody else in the game. Ex-Death because he's hilariously over the top (his laugh in Dissidia tops Kefka's. HWA HWA HWA) Kefka because he steals every single scene he's in. He's unabashedly evil but you can't help but love him because he says stuff like "Run, run or you'll be well done!" and Sephiroth because he just oozed cool in that game. Kuja also is notable because despite being a shapely man he just kinda dominates. Ultimecia not so much in 8, unless you count the parts where she's Edea as her, then yeah, she knows how to talk down to people.
For me Cid is the coolest dude in FFVII! Or maybe thats just I like his limits and he gets a rare triple slot weapon! Sephiroth is just a jerk though. Kefka was just some lame annoying guy that you expect and hope is just a joke character that'll be offed before the real final boss is revealed. Maybe I'm just not a fan of badguys.

I think she might've been hyped in one of those instances of everybody loving the side character.
If everyone loved her there'd be a whole heck of alot more fanart for her out there! Instead its hard ta come by in my experience!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Welcome back to Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream. Last time, we met John Cena in the middle of the cave and he figured that we couldn&#8217;t see him while he was losing his rap battle against Rubicant. He tried to Flame Rubicant, but Rubicant was much better at it and laid the Smackdown on him like The Rock by singing Smackdown Hotel. Oops.

Today, we&#8217;re going to sneak into Rubicant&#8217;s crib and steal Golbez&#8217;s bling.

6SPFI.png

Sigh, why won&#8217;t this game end.

B4OFc.gif
Tower of Bab-il

lI8Q6.png

Welcome back to the Tower of Bab-il. I don&#8217;t know why there&#8217;s a staircase here either outside of Plot Convenience either.

e0Ecb.png
2BCtC.png
fZ9TF.png
soxzg.png

John Cena has decided to adopt Ninja skills and used his &#8220;you can&#8217;t see me&#8221; mentality to sneak everyone into the Tower of Bab-il.

Yeah, I don&#8217;t think it&#8217;s as cool as being a Karate either.

XVIxO.png

Oh hey. A box that looks very significant because it has its own staircase. I wonder what&#8217;s insi&#8212;

mnisl.png
fC2j7.png

B4OFc.gif
Genso Suikoden II &#8211; A Worthy Foe Appears

Dammit. And we don&#8217;t have Stone either. Clair, for once, Abe is more useful than you are because I don&#8217;t feel like grinding.

Xctus.png
L66Ia.png

Heh, never mind. I take those words back. You see, while most magic won&#8217;t work on those suckers, you can slow them down with Slow and cast Mist Dragon on it. Mist Dragon&#8217;s damage output is relative to Clair&#8217;s max amount of HP, so it&#8217;s not affected by the whole &#8220;being a magical attack&#8221; strength that the Mad Ogres have. It&#8217;s not a super amount of damage, but it isn&#8217;t a bad thing either.

We also win an Ogre Axe. Do not equip this in the SNES version. I know it&#8217;s incredibly tempting because of all the Ogre enemies around here and they hit hard, but do not do this. You will lose your critical hits forever.

F86RZ.png
APjqP.png
b0dkc.png

CAtXz.gif
Grandia &#8211; Battle 3

I didn&#8217;t capture everything I fought.

We fight against a bunch of new suckers in this dungeon. We come across Balloons, and they like to blow up quick. This is also one of the areas where you can get the Bomb Summon to drop (of course, I wasn&#8217;t thinking to put the code in for rare drops at that moment, so I didn&#8217;t bother getting one here. Throw things at it to subdue it, but I don&#8217;t think&#8212;if you&#8217;re not using glitches&#8212;you&#8217;ll have stuff to throw at it. Black Cats are palette swaps of the Panther and they do the same things. Usually wipe them out with Virus or get rid of other enemies in the group before focusing on the Cats.

BladeMan #s are weak against Batman&#8217;s Legend Sword so hack away. You can also use Cure. Sorcerers can be dispensed any way you want. Grudgers are weak against Holy, so treat it like a BladeMan. Lamias can be charmed for the Charm&#8230; Harp. It will attack anything you attack it with (and don&#8217;t kill it) with Charm. Yeah, I don&#8217;t know if I&#8217;d find it Charming either.

tVPQ5.png

Oh hey, that&#8217;s the teleporter that the other teleporter from the underground must link to. That means we&#8217;re close to our destination.

dJk1d.png

OH THANK GOD A SAVE POINT

Seriously, I need one of these. I&#8217;m running low on MP. And I think there&#8217;s a boss fight coming up.

zC7E4.png
LQTbr.png

Aren&#8217;t these two being held hostage? What are they doing in front of the Crystal Room? This must be a trap. There is no way that any bad guy in this tower is going to let them wander about on their own. Golbez kept Beer tied up for days without letting her go to the washroom, for crying out loud.

oV00x.png

It&#8217;s a trap. Why isn&#8217;t anyone piping up to say anything?

j3cQ9.png

Our band of idiots can&#8217;t be this dense.

iTRBe.png

That doesn&#8217;t sound so bad. We&#8217;re going to A Link to the Past&#8217;s Dark World, right? Oh, thank goodness because ALttP is so much better than this game, it&#8217;s unbelievable. Heck, I&#8217;ll go to Skyward Sword&#8217;s Silent Realm because those bits were kinda great. Twilit Realm needed more colour, and to be honest, they should have gone with the original version of it being all black and white. Or&#8230; Are we going to Dark Aether? Or the Dark World in DQ8? Or the Red World from Deadly Premonition?

Are we going to Silent Hill Dark World instead? Cuz I don&#8217;t want to go there. I&#8217;d have to get a radio that emits static and kill a buncha creepy things, and&#8230;

In other versions, it&#8217;s &#8220;To Hell&#8221;, but you can&#8217;t say hell in a video game from the 1990s! It&#8217;s a dirty word which should never ever be used.

B4OFc.gif
Genso Suikoden V &#8211; Determination ~Tragic Battle~

k1T4X.png
yjd6E.png

Well, you said the Dark World, and now you&#8217;re saying The Hades? Make up your mind.

As much as I&#8217;d like to hang out with Hades from Hercules, I&#8217;d much rather to go to A Link to the Past&#8217;s Dark World.

i9GVb.png
ohs00.png
GLpuP.png

Cena, they can&#8217;t see you. And to be honest, I don&#8217;t think they care.

This battle is scripted. Of course, when you&#8217;re younger and/or playing the game for the first time, you wouldn&#8217;t know that, so I was wailing on them and curing with items and spells. Whoops.

B4OFc.gif
Cry in Sorrow

Me5pv.png

You can still hit them, but I personally prefer Parrying. Or not doing anything and letting the dialogue scroll.

Um. Does anyone else do that, I wonder?

8o2yS.png
mm9TV.png
eiJdr.png

Such conviction. We must not live long. It&#8217;s like they know they need to die because their new forms aren&#8217;t ninja enough for everyone to accept.

mMGtc.png
AmnE2.png
kFGDA.png
hbCwp.png

Hold the phone. They&#8217;re going? Wouldn&#8217;t they rather die with dignity rather than wander the world as monsters and then meet an untimely end? These guys are screwed up. Where are they going to?

Yes, I know they killed themselves. It&#8217;s just that in this version, it is rather ambiguous because killing is wrong, etc. It&#8217;s also kinda weird because Cena&#8217;s 26 and seems to be cognitively competent, and thus doesn&#8217;t necessarily need to be spoken to with euphemisms.

MoLqq.png
zUy78.png
3J3sy.png
V9P5v.png

I can&#8217;t help but to sympathize with the guy, tbh. I could put myself in his shoes and feel bad.

Xuwwx.png
1iZf6.png

Wait, he&#8217;s mad?

h29CQ.png
TO15A.png
Fkn5z.png

Yeah, man. Let&#8217;s be rational, join forces with Rubicant and ki--&#8230; wait, we already killed Lugae. But still! He&#8217;s clearly apologizing for it. Rubicant isn&#8217;t an asshole like the other Fiends.

Unless this is like, a law thing, where Cena wants to sue Rubicant because Lugae was working for him and finds Rubicant completely liable for everything Lugae did.

Now do you see why I call Lugae the Prototype Hojo? The similarities are incredibly obvious to players of both games. Hojo&#8217;s the one who ended up starting a lot of messes with his experimentation of a lot of people (even his own child) in Final Fantasy VII just to see how far he could go with experiments. Lugae just does this stuff to see how far his science will go.

GAF, why is science suddenly playing a role in this game? And no, aerospace engineering doesn&#8217;t count.

u3DyS.png
44eFW.png

Rubicant happens to contrast with Cena a lot here, and not in the way you intended him to do so. You see, Cena the ninja is the hotheaded &#8216;wearing my emotions on my sleeve&#8217; kind of dude (and to be fair to Cena and his emotions, his parents just nuked themselves in front of him), while Rubicant&#8217;s pretty rational about many things. While you expect Rubicant to downright be an asshole to everyone and be super-evil, he&#8217;s really not. It&#8217;s just his job to fight you and he&#8217;s doing just that.

It kinda makes me feel a little bad that we have to fight him because he&#8217;s the only fiend who: a) has some sort of development, and b) he&#8217;s pretty down-to-earth. He likes to play it fair and strategically, and I like that in a villain sometimes.

It makes me wonder why we haven&#8217;t gotten a villain inspired by Rubicant yet.

thmG4.png
KfJBq.png
75ppw.png

CAtXz.gif
The Black Mages II - The Dreadful Fight

Heh. If only Rubicant stuck around a little more. He&#8217;d be totally deserving of this battle theme.

So, uh, Cena&#8217;s anger drawing out abilities is almost in-line with some themes in this game. Tales has its thing where they say that the &#8220;genre of this game is called _______ RPG&#8221;, which outlines the overall narrative theme of the game. For example, Tales of Xillia&#8217;s genre name is the RPG of Unwavering Convictions, Tales of Legendia&#8217;s genre name is RPG Where Bonds Spin Legends, and Tales of Graces&#8217; genre name is RPG to Know the Strength to Protect. Final Fantasy games kind of have that but it isn&#8217;t specific. Final Fantasy VIII is outright about love being its overall theme. Final Fantasy X is about death, self-sacrifice, faith, and conviction. Final Fantasy VII is about life, death, and rebirth.

Well, Final Fantasy IV seems to rest on the theme of emotions. We&#8217;ve seen this countless time in this story. Rosa goes out of her way and almost dies because of her love for Cecil. Tellah becomes so enraged with Golbez having a hand in his daughter&#8217;s murder that his spellsets awaken during his quest for revenge. Cecil realizes that he must become more compassionate and have&#8212;to use Tales of Xillia&#8217;s example&#8212;more unwavering conviction to go about his mission for Lawful Good. Even Rydia, calling out Titan to defeat Cecil and Kain at the beginning of the game was out of anger and grief. Edge&#8217;s rage awakens his hidden abilities, which could be used for the upcoming boss battle. The only rational one that I could think of is Yang, but his abilities are already fleshed out and he could summon the power in-battle to deal some heavy damage.

NMtXD.png
RcXtx.png

At this point, because Rubicant is extremely fair, we actually get a minute to prepare for the battle. We could even walk back to the save point if we wanted to. Rubicant will just wait there until you&#8217;re ready.

Pwu4o.png
QdLL1.png

This guy is awesome. Shame we have to kill him.

bJNdG.png

Well, there&#8217;s the cloak. We can&#8217;t use any elemental attacks against it at all. The only way to deal damage to him in this form is with a physical attack. He&#8217;ll counter that with Fire-2 against the group, but that&#8217;s completely meaningless when you&#8217;re doing 4000+ damage with a Blizzard Spear or the IceBrand, or if you&#8217;re nuking it with Clair&#8217;s Titan summon. Honestly, he talks up that cape so much that it&#8217;s rather meaningless in this version. He&#8217;ll also use a physical attack in this form, but it&#8217;s kinda weak too.

J1uyo.png
fuUL9.png
Zf134.png
tLL23.png

For some reason, Rubicant likes to show his legs off from time to time and that&#8217;s when you can kick him around with Ice. You can use Shiva, Ice-3 (if available; I&#8217;ve had it when I&#8217;ve come to this fight loads of times, but I don&#8217;t care to grind right now), the Ice weapons, etc. Rubicant&#8217;s weakness is his vanity with regards to his lovely legs, and sadly that&#8217;s his downfall. He can also use Glare here and it could probably KO you if you don't have adequate fire protection.

jdlqY.png
eAvxP.png
CbGMD.png

Golbez had a bad time with us? I don&#8217;t remember that. Has he even been watching Golbez&#8217;s TV whenever Golbez is out toying with us? Golbez wins even when he loses. And instead of wishing us to die or making the tower crumble around us, he leaves us, acknowledging our strength and showing us that he approves of us.

1MDc1.png

This idiot hasn&#8217;t come to terms that Lugae&#8217;s the one who screwed them up, and is still blaming one of the better villains in the game? Please&#8230;

DarfJ.png
jwmLr.png
EtgBs.png

CAtXz.gif
Hey Cid!

Cid&#8217;s Theme is just the generic theme for random dudes, isn&#8217;t it? Anyway, these guys are later than late. (Also, &#8220;That becomes the prince&#8221;? That simply doesn&#8217;t sound right to me. Shouldn&#8217;t it be something like, &#8220;That is becoming of the Prince&#8221;?)

ndeep.png

There are two women in the group?

2fn3t.png
ZU7dq.png

Again with this moon shit? &#8220;For the power&#8221;? What kind of rationalization is that for your dying dream in Moonside? What kind of power exists on the moon? Why do you need it? This is just so silly. I also find it kind of weird that Cena hasn&#8217;t even heard of Golbez despite Eblan sustaining heavy damage as a result of Golbez&#8217;s needs and wants.

lK4Tr.png

This is a good reason to join. I like Golbez, though. What isn&#8217;t there to like?

cDxqm.png
Rar2s.png

Again with the sirs. I think they&#8217;re missing a &#8220;may&#8221; in there somewhere in that Eblanian phrase. And &#8220;okey dokey&#8221; is something that every Eblanian says. Everyone who says otherwise is wrong.

AqW9c.png
OUCGh.png

Awright, final boss time. Let&#8217;s do one thing first&#8230;

X97cV.png

Let&#8217;s cast Float. Just in case. You know, because you never know what Golbez is planning because he&#8217;s always going to be smarter than we are.

2Xy57.png

B4OFc.gif
The Prelude

THAT&#8217;S OK; WE CAST FLOAT WE&#8217;LL BE FI--

IdpoR.png

B4OFc.gif
Tower of Bab-il

What the hell, man? I just cast Float. There shouldn&#8217;t be any problem here. Final Fantasy IV&#8230; I bet Golbez is watching us on his Reality TV channel, eating popcorn and laughing at us all for falling victim to the Plot.

0DavC.png

CAtXz.gif
Romancing SaGa ~Minstrel Song - Prelude of Battle

We encounter a bunch of new enemies over here. The Q. Lamia is slightly tougher than the regular Lamia, and she does the same things. Just use the same techniques you use to take out the regular Lamia.

I couldn&#8217;t get the other two monsters to show up at all. No matter how many times I looped the area, I couldn&#8217;t get them to spawn. But you may encounter the IronMan here. You can easily paralyze it if you use Clair&#8217;s whips. The Green Dragon could have been encountered above ground from an egg, but you can encounter them regularly here (but they&#8217;re rare). Again, hack at it.

ZjYyl.png
DeXDl.png
09PAn.png

Why does this game keep capitalizing &#8220;okay&#8221;? And why is Cena treating it like a sentient object? Knowing him, he&#8217;d probably drive the engine ragged until we can&#8217;t work it anymore. Also, um, he&#8217;s oddly rather happy for someone whose parents just committed suicide in front of his eyes a few minutes ago.

K4i55.png

I isolated this because I really miss sprites jumping up like that. It had a certain charm to it. Now jumps to get to places have to look cool instead of being an interesting animation.

What happened to cool animations? D:

Amdtb.png

Where were you half an hour ago when we fought Cena&#8217;s parents, or when we tried to get a bunch of crystals? We could have used some warning!

tKqKe.png
kKU9X.png

Can&#8217;t we call it something that isn&#8217;t a bird? That seems like the most vanilla thing you can do. I also think Cena has probably never seen an airship up close before, so he&#8217;s acting like a 7-year-old in a 26-year-old&#8217;s body.

CR4Qc.png
fEDUQ.png

A red airship? This looks cool. This also brings me to question the depth of the underground. Shouldn&#8217;t there be things I shouldn&#8217;t be able to fly around given that it&#8217;s pretty much stabilizing the Earth&#8217;s crust? Why is there this HUGE OPEN SPACE here? How big is this place?

Yes, I know the answer is &#8220;video games&#8221; and &#8220;you&#8217;re playing Final Fantasy and you&#8217;re talking about logic, haha&#8221;.

2uiHc.png
jOttk.png

What do you mean we can&#8217;t go wherever we want?

Piece of shit airship.

Next Time: SIDEQUESTIN&#8217; and DUNGEONIN'.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Don't ya love spending hours pouring over hundreds of images to do update write-ups then accidentally lose what you've wrote and have to start from square one? Doh! Never to late for an update regardless. So umm... Meteor Shots huh? I knew Ergheiz was canon!

Pt.11 "The True Owner of the Great Sword"

izJfMjYtJtp7v.jpg
i76fVUAzR21hZ.jpg

iTu41eDb6f90O.jpg
iYHDCWacn5uQ3.jpg

Defeating Genesis was a nice diversion but investigating Modeoheim and catching Hollander are still the main priorities. Outside of the base Zack notices the other members of his party had moved on ahead and so he sets down the path to Modeoheim. The place turns out to be a nice little abandoned village which naturally means monsters have taken up residence there! Around this time Director Lazard sends sort of a strange mail to all SOLDIER members. Inside a bath house which doubles as a bar there's more monster bugs and a suspicious red spot! Its an answering machine and Zack decides to listen to all 23 messages, the last of which points him in the direction of a hidden item. Sweet!

i9Wn6csdJ2k4Z.jpg
iqNwX1HvvIXiW.jpg

Zack picks up a boiler handle on the way into the bath portion of the building where he bumps into Angeal monsters and an injured Cloud & Tseng! They're gonna be okay so Zack has some time for searching around before heading on. Using the handle he turns the steam off allowing him a to grab a Lightning Armlet in the boiler room. This may have proved useful had he not already owned a Bolt Armlet, still something tells him he should equip some gear to protect against lightning attacks. Getting rid of the steam also had the effect of cooling down the hot spring enough to get the treasure chest inside of it! And bathe with... er battle more monsters. Ready to progress Zack exits through a hole in the wall of the boiler room.

ibYBgRiDnAGD8.jpg
ibgEO4dDBHi1bd.jpg

ipWa9IcfKf8sA.jpg
iKCd1PdrXlTOZ.jpg

...and runs up some slippery looking sloped pipes without any trouble to the next floor! Not long after that he bumps into a regretful Angeal who's saying he should've dealt with Genesis himself. For some reason he decides Zack must now fight him. Of course Zack doesn't wanna but has to cross swords to defend himself. Hollander reveals himself and the fact that he and Angeal are related. Angeal reveals that his mother took her own life out of shame for being involved in Project Gillian. Wait, wasn't the G for Genesis? In any case Gillian was injected with Jenova cells then had her genes mapped onto the still fetal Genesis. That turned out to be a failure but Angeal who was born from her turned out perfect because his cells can absorb genetic traits and pass 'em on to others. Science!

i8WRjQF5Bb3kh.jpg
iUPjGkCTFSWjp.jpg

ib2FhyWqaURfYA.jpg
ibtJQA7P3RxBUW.jpg

Angeal says he's created his own suffering and since their enemy is that which creates suffering, Zack must defeat him. He calls a bunch of copy monsters to merge with him much to Hollander's dismay. Not that he cared about Angeal, the doctor was only interested in preserving at least one copy to keep as a sample. Angeal Penance gives Zack a nice little cut on the cheek and this unfortunate battle has to begin. It was no match for Zack who absorbed its lightning based attack and beat the loving crap out of it from behind! In the end Angeal sort of returns to normal, though he looks old and degradey, and gives his thanks and... a gift.

ibkLF1wkPzDZ7x.jpg
iXRk3Eby1Cqt5.jpg

iOhUQSXqEPdhC.jpg
ibuDj7zYgnhdna.jpg

The Buster Sword now belongs to Zack. Angeal reminds him one last time to embrace his dreams and honor before passing away. Zack starts weeping for his fallen friend right then and there. Even back home he remains sad and depressed over the situation. Zack heads to the slum church where he continues to cry. Aeris tries her best to comfort and cheer him up. First with small talk, then with a nice loving hug to the still sobbing guy. And then, time passes...

ibgNK27GxYIeBd.jpg
iUj2CJiJ9BFW0.jpg

icAnL7BkJVDUd.jpg
ibtxegvRUlV7o7.jpg

That scar on his left cheek from Angeal along with longer hair has given Zack more of a wilder appearance but he remains the same nice guy on the inside. As he and a group of rookies prepare to leave on an assignment he gives 'em an order. "Embrace your dreams. And, whatever happens, protect your SOLDIER honor." The torch has been passed.

CorvoSol

Up until that part he's just your regular moral do-gooder. Nothing super outstanding about him but nothing offensive either. He gets more face time then Cissnei but not enough development. I think maybe CC suffered from being being a portable game. Chapters are very short and people are introduced then not heard from or seen again for awhile. Like they're supposed to be important but being a prequel 10 years later you know they won't be and they also aren't what you're really there for anyways >.<; But as one of the few "faces" of SOLDIER and a mentor to Zack I say he's okay in my book.

I'm split on Angeal. He seemed like a genuine friend to Zack, and a nice guy, but when he kills his mom everything he says about honor for the rest of the game loses meaning to me. The man killed his mother and offered NO explanation for it. He just was all "The son and the mother and the baby the baby the baby".

For me Cid is the coolest dude in FFVII! Or maybe thats just I like his limits and he gets a rare triple slot weapon! Sephiroth is just a jerk though. Kefka was just some lame annoying guy that you expect and hope is just a joke character that'll be offed before the real final boss is revealed. Maybe I'm just not a fan of badguys.

See, I just grew up digging villains. I mean, compare Vader to Luke. Vader is OBVIOUSLY cooler. In the same vein, Kefka is cool because he is such a frightening yet hilarious guy. He carelessly slaughters people, then says something funny in the next minute.

If everyone loved her there'd be a whole heck of alot more fanart for her out there! Instead its hard ta come by in my experience!

Maybe we just wandered different parts of the net.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The fight between the King and Queen of Eblan seemed sadder in the PSP remake. At least Queen says I love you to Edge. :_;

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
See, I just grew up digging villains. I mean, compare Vader to Luke. Vader is OBVIOUSLY cooler. In the same vein, Kefka is cool because he is such a frightening yet hilarious guy. He carelessly slaughters people, then says something funny in the next minute.
Different opinions oh nooo! Go ahead and like the badguys all ya want but they still stink to me! Except obvious comic relief ones such as our good friend below!
image.php

btw is this your first time through CC? If it is then that explains one thing. But ya mentioned before starting you already had a dislike of Genesis which raises a question I prolly don't want an answer to if that makes any sense!

Holy camoly, it's time for another update! LAST TIME: we started Chapter 4 and overheard a conversation regarding Cid and his Zodiac Stone. In tonight's update, we take a very small break from the story and venture out for a couple of sidequests!

6Rzrx.png

First, we head all the way back to Goug, where Mustadio's dad has apparently found something really cool.

5dJLL.png
lbMPa.png

...And you thought that WE would know? For all we know, it could just be an oversized bowling ball. :|

...They had those back then, right?

PXh0s.png

Whoa, what's happening?

53V8X.png
vWTly.png

Looks like it reacted to my Zodiac Stones. And if I'm not mistaken, it looks like that symbol is Aquarius. Unfortunately, it's not a stone that we have...yet. In the meantime, let's head to a bar and chill out.

N4ugK.png
4y3z4.png

Why is he laughing at me? :( I always drink plenty of malk milk to keep my bones from getting brittle. But enough about him. Let's see what the nearby posse has to say.

5Vobp.png
3O4Pl.png

IuTgI.png
AlCJL.png

Sounds dangerous. But hey, like the barkeep said, there's cash to be won for doing it! And since money is always welcome, I'm sure Beef is more than willing to go out and risk his neck for a few bucks!

n9Z3w.png
cdGIh.png

...Sometimes you really disappoint me, Beef.

lEI6P.png
MEeVB.png

YL3uZ.png

A HOLY dragon? Now we're talking. Sounds like something worth checking out, dangerous or not. Looks like it's time to head towards the mines! On our way out, we're interrupted by someone who overheard the entire thing...I wonder if he heard me ask for milk?

h1LTG.png
qJhQr.png

yHnK3.png
r1I1V.png

It's Beowulf! No, not THAT Beowulf. This Beowulf is one of the best characters in the game. He's got a laundry list of powerful support techniques, which includes the ability he's most known for: Chicken, which lowers a target's Brave by 50 POINTS. While he doesn't join our party knowing the move ahead of time, he's still great to have along in the upcoming battles since he doesn't have a stupid AI. So OF COURSE we're going to recruit him.

One thing to note: if you choose to not recruit him, then you miss out on just about every extra character from this point forward. So it's wise to let him tag along.

6qtTd.png
ZYh52.png

The town of Gollund has turned red! I didn't take screenshots of all of the floors since there's absolutely no dialogue. It's just 3 floors of enemy encounters, nothing special. You can steal some decent equipment from each floor, but besides that there's nothing really special besides a couple of monsters to recruit if you've been leveling up a Mediator/Orator. After the first few floors, we finally get down to the mines, where a dragon is currently surrounded...

dP9Cs.png
Anyoj.png

Hey, those things can talk! And not in some weird Pokemon dialect, either! It's mentioning a stone, but that dragon couldn't possibly be holding a Zodiac Stone...could it?

2MZs8.png
ujJzf.png

Waaaaaaaaaaait a minute! That dragon has a name? And you're gonna protect it? That wasn't part of the deal, Beowulf!!

Ls4vt.png

The mission then becomes a protection mission, and the monsters here, while not very many, all put up a mean fight. The Ultima Demon is someone we're familiar with, but those winged guys can Petrify people when they decide not to hit like a mack truck. The Malboro dudes don't hit that hard (I don't think these ones even had Bad Breath), but they have a lot of HP. It's best to try and end this quickly so that Reis doesn't die. Once all the monsters are dead, Beowulf gives his thanks.

iWejg.png
hTIVB.png

HknuK.png
PoLQ6.png

Well I'm not gonna question what you do with your life, pally, but I'm glad that you found who you were looking for. Am I gonna get paid for this?

...What? What'd I say?

FHTZx.png
Lbopq.png

Wait, you had that stone the whole time!? Why didn't you say anything!? We could've avoided all of this! Curse you and that damn dragon!

ZAMQy.png
q8Es6.png

grcwD.png
nyxsI.png

...Well, at the very least, we've got ourselves two new party members. And they're permanent too, which means no "guest" status. You know what that means! CUE THE MUSIC!

As I mentioned before, Beowulf has a lot of good support abilities that are mainly good for disabling the enemy. His attacks are mainly based off the Oracle skillset, but they require no charge time which makes them significantly better. They do require a sword to be equipped in order to use them, but that's not really a drawback. They're also Faith-based attacks, so you have to be careful when trying to target someone unless you want your attack to whiff.

Reis is...a dragon. It comes with all three dragon breath attacks, but besides that is your typical dragon monster. Reis IS required for a couple of sidequests, so for now we're letting her come with us. For now, let's head back to Goug and find out if that stone we received was the right one.

XSgbx.png
HTUnz.png

Nothing to it but to do it. Beef, chuck that stone in there!

uKyYp.png
T5yPu.png

pwuAa.png

Hooray, it's the right one! Let's find out what in the world this thing is.

giueP.png
6M6bK.png

IT'S A TRANSFORMER!

YWhBZ.png
BSPUV.png

uUDwk.png

AWESOME. We've got ourselves a robot!

e3mpH.png
nTjqy.png

PNkBw.png

Hey, don't go telling me what to do, Mustadio. You're supposed to be the genius here. At least he knows his role and admits that I'M the robo-master.

Sz8QF.png
ToSgc.png

Hmmm. Now that I've got my very own robot, I can finally order it to do what I've always dreamed of doing since I was a little boy...

Pc996.png

Apparently Mustadio doesn't like my decision, but who cares? It's MY robot, and if I want it to dance, then I'll get it to dance!

ohOfm.png
q0pqF.png

nSHJe.png

And it's a great dancer, too! I searched high and low for a .gif of it dancing, but no luck. :(

cpvHI.png

"Very strong," eh? I like the sound of that!

qrxGY.png
OYIY6.png

Yeah, teach that jerk who the boss is!

MwIpZ.png

JESUS.

zB7XB.png

Would you look at that? Phoenix Down being used to revive someone. Of course it's canon AFTER so many people in FF history have died, but what're ya gonna do?

pI5xA.png

We now have a powerful robot on our team! HIT THE--ah, you can just scroll upwards. The Robot (which I named after Chacrana, who wanted to be Dagger when I was gonna play FF9) wasn't lying when it said he was strong. He only has four attacks, but they all pack a wallop. The one that people use the most is called "Dispose." It lets him shoot a laser beam, and it has quite a long reach. All of his attacks drain his HP as a cost, so be careful. If you're thinking "well I can just heal him," then think again. Chacranabot is a robot, and therefore cannot comprehend God, so his Faith is permanently at 0. This means no magic, helpful or harmful, will affect him in battle. While this is good against magic-users, it's bad if we want to heal him quickly. You can still use non-magic methods of healing, like Items or Chakra off the Monk class.

Also, despite him not being able to be hit by magic, he's inherently weak to Lightning element attacks, but is immune to all other elements.

NEXT TIME: We continue with the story and meet someone's sister!

Heropon

TIzmP.gif
Battle Theme

More sidequests and grinding await our characters in their way to slain the dark aeons.

ybJdm.png
zoLfl.png

I've unlocked the One-Eye, the monster created by capturing 5 enemies of each type of floating eye. My characters are too weak to fight it directly, but the Magus Sisters can dispatch it (with a bit of difficulty). My purpose is getting the three slotted APx3 weapons, but it also gives Magic Defense Spheres to max that stat (+4 MDEF per sphere, so +8 per kill if it doesn't drop 2 dark matters). The armor and weapons it drops are really valuable, so it's also a pretty good gil source.

75Ee9.png
rLf3C.png

Im my way to unlock certain paths in the grid sphere I need more level 4 key spheres. The quickest way to get them is bribing chimera brains to get ~2 spheres(1 if unlucky, reset if that happens, or 3 if lucky). Not present in the screenshots is all the time I spend capturing monsters until the Gagazet area, and the second screenshot is one of the super powerful enemies.

UiFvq.png
0lP0T.png

And now I return to the Omega Ruins, my purpose is to advance to the second "room" because the rare encounters are more frequent there. This place has some chests that can have level 4 key spheres in them.

rphaT.png
s44Fb.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy VI - The Fierce Battle

In their way to the depths of the caves the party finds the most difficult boss in the game:

Optional boss 3, Ultima Weapon: It has less HP than Sin's head so that means easy overkill. Au revoir! It can be bribed, but I didn't remember that at the time of the fight.

SwQCf.png
041iW.png

And with Ultima's death, the party can go to the place where there are unavoidable fights in each "circle" there is. When all the monsters I want are captured, I leave this place without fighting Omega.

mM0e1.png
QgJRL.png

TIzmP.gif
Sonic Adventure - Emerald Coast

The last area with catchable monsters is Sin, so I go there. There's a type of monster that's unique to the last area of the game, so I have to go there. What are doing some stairs middle of nowhere?

p0T5p.png
xaGfa.png

At this point of the game, I think the designers already thought of Seymour as some kind of joke character. I mean, he only talks nonsense and appears in pretty strange places to attack the party. Even Tidus has to call him out on that habit.

Qx4Ol.png
KtKop.png

TIzmP.gif
Fight With Seymour

Boss battle 33, Seymour Omnis: It's a pretty strange decision to make a song only for this battle when they could have used it for the last two Seymour battles at least, and the worst thing is that this battle is a joke compared to the other two always for me. And now that I've ended talking about the music I'll talk about the battle: The discs have something to do with elemental affinities... I think.

ADvcp.png
5zhK3.png

The battle ends before I can understand what purpose those circles had.

x9yI6.png
h0uOo.png

Yuna knows that the end of the game draws near and she can't play with Seymour again, so she sends him at last. Good riddance!

qnEqT.png
7rbol.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy Versus XIII - Somnus

This is the City of Dying Dreams, the last zone of the game with random encounters, treasure chests and normal RPG things. This monster is the only one in this area that doesn't appearse somewhere else.

C3roA.png
Fbg4I.png

It's pretty powerful and killing ten of them was pretty cumbersome along the blue malboros, monoliths and king behemoths.

3zoBe.png
pOkVa.png

Talking about King Behemoth, if you capture it in the International Version it won't counterattack with Meteor. So at the end of the game I didn't see any. This place has lots of moving platforms and some of them lead to precious treasure chests.

BVDSi.png
G54wH.png

With all the fiends of the game captured all the special monsters except one are created in the arena. One of them gives 99 units of dark matter, and I can use in the International Version to customize Ribbon into an armor. It's almost mandatory to use it against Dark Bahamut, Anima and the Magus Sisters.

cTNi1.png
Ps2R9.png

The arena master starts selling Clear Spheres. They erase an stat node in the sphere grid. Their use is erasing non optimum nodes (<4 STR,DEF,MAG,MDEF,LCK,EVS,ACC, <40 PM, <300 HP), so the grid can be filled with +4/40/300 ones and have max stats. I won't use armor to break the HP limit, so I have little use to them apart from clearing a path of weak nodes. I forgot the last primer in the Omega Ruins and I get it.

Wp93u.png
Qd6C1.png

With all the primers, Tidus can talk in Albhed with Rin and get 99 Underdog Secrets.

KpIOb.png
491u6.png

TIzmP.gif
Xenoblade Chronicles - You Will Know Our Names

Time to grind for max stats! This fiend is called Hornet (created by capturing wasps) and gives Accuracy spheres. While I was killing some monsters Tidus learned Blitzball Ace and I could see a number with seven digits.

RV9GS.png
SyFVh.png

All the enemies that give increasing stat spheres are adquired by capturing monsters of certain species except one. The first enemy is the Jumbo Flan and is immune to physical attacks, so that makes the magic power stat tedious to grind. Thankfully it isn't that necessary as magic is pretty useless (except in one situation). Anyways, the optimum strategy is using Anima (99,999 each Pain) with Haste and Dispel to erase the flan's regens. The second fiend is the Juggernaut and gives Strength spheres.

Not in screenshots: The enemy called Tanket (helmet monster) gives defense spheres, the enemy called Fenrir (wolf) gives speed spheres and the Pteryx (bird) gives evasion spheres.

MoDTq.png

This giant enemy sphere gives luck spheres, but that isn't the real hassle in grinding that stat because the party needs fortune spheres. They have to fight the Earth Eater again and again to get them. A ~220 stat of luck is needed to hit Dark Mindy with 100% accuracy, so that means that I need 53 luck spheres (there are two +4 luck nodes in the grid already) and 165 fortune spheres to have three characters with those stats.

NEXT: I've done (almost) all the grinding, time to destroy the arena Original Creations!

sphinx

the piano man
so guys, I am playing final fantasy II PSP for the first time and I need a little help:

I am early in the game, the dreadnought took off and destroyed some cities, I talked to the king and daughter and Minwu left the party... they said to ask the owner of the airship for tips, I did and.. I am stuck there.

where from there????

Heropon

TIzmP.gif
Chrono Cross - Gale

With all the species and area creations pushing up the daisies, it's time to reunite the original creations with their Creator:

F6j1Y.png
S6Bnx.png

The first two (Giant Sphere and Earth Eater were vanquished multiple times already) die easily with my max stat characters.

5xW8d.png
aLEF8.png

Interesting battle alert, Neslug: It has 4,000,000 HP and when it reaches 2,000,000 it retreats into its shell. In this state it has regen and it's invulnerable to physical attacks. Thanks to my (relatively) shitty magic attack, I'll have to come back later.

Zh7fz.png
ebYB2.png

The Sinspawn Gui copy and Shinryu are also easy battles so they die soon too.

a7aJr.png
xXvXi.png

The last original creation left is Neslug, so I have to grind the magic attack stat fighting jumbo flans. Thanks to that I can flare Neslug to death.

SgF1P.png
nl8S4.png

Ah, when its HP reaches 1000000HP, the shell breaks. Thanks to my slaughter of original creations the arena master creates the most powerful enemy in the original version: Nemesis. He also gives 10 master spheres, but I don't need them anymore.

hN06G.png
jGIDb.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy VIII - Force Your Way

FFX Original Superboss, Nemesis: It has 10,000,000 HP!!! and does some pretty lethal attacks. The first one attacks only one characters and with my current HP is direct death.

F7knn.png
pjUL2.png

It can do Armageddon and destroy my party if they don't have auto-life or I don't summon an Aeon to stop it.

TXKsl.png
0K1C7.png

After three tries I win. The first time I thought that doing Quick attack could quit all its HP before spending all my aeons. By the way, it counterattacks overdrives with Ultima so that adds a strategy component timing them.

v5qAd.png

Thanks to their victory the characters win a badge! I'm a winner!

Next: I'm going to slay the Dark Aeons.

so guys, I am playing final fantasy II PSP for the first time and I need a little help:

I am early in the game, the dreadnought took off and destroyed some cities, I talked to the king and daughter and Minwu left the party... they said to ask the owner of the airship for tips, I did and.. I am stuck there.

where from there????

Talking with Cid about the airship, he should tell you about the sunfire. Return to Altair and ask about the Sunfire, they should tell you about what to do.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
If I didn't know any better, I'd say that thing looks like an odd version of Meta Knight if you look at it from the back.

Heropon said:
Next: I'm going to slay the Dark Aeons.
Yay!

ULTROS! said:
The fight between the King and Queen of Eblan seemed sadder in the PSP remake. At least Queen says I love you to Edge. :_;
They didn't go to that extent in the GBA version or the DS version (just some variation of "farewell Edge/my son") either. I cannot recall the PSX script verbatim so I'm not sure if they outright said it.

This game tries to play up emotions but doesn't go for the extra step at all in this localization. But we're talking about a version that removes a frame that shows kissing, a game that doesn't acknowledge death and uses euphemisms, and takes out the frame of animation where the dancers remove their dresses.

CorvoSol

where from there????

WWhatever else you do, hike down to Mysidia and build up to buy everything. You will then have no problems again until the final dungeon.

Different opinions oh nooo! Go ahead and like the badguys all ya want but they still stink to me! Except obvious comic relief ones such as our good friend below!
image.php

Nooooo! How could you see things differently from me, Lindsay? HOW COULD YOU!?!? BREAKING MY HEART ANAKIN!

btw is this your first time through CC? If it is then that explains one thing. But ya mentioned before starting you already had a dislike of Genesis which raises a question I prolly don't want an answer to if that makes any sense!

This is my second time through the game, though I haven't played it since like, 2008. So in a way it is my first, except that it is also my second. I know how it all ends, but I'm trying to ignore it so I can enjoy it.

In spite of my whining, I really do like CC. The battle system is fun, the materia system works, and the missions are never so long that you grow to hate them. My love for the game is part of the reason I was so hyped for Type-0, since Type-0 is practically a sequel to Crisis Core. It's a lot of fun, and for me, FUN>ALL in video games. Just like how I whine about how much I hate The Third Birthday's plot, but I really did have fun playing that game and I do consider it a well spent 15 bucks.

Really about Crisis Core I only hate Genesis and the retcons he brings with him, barring his little revolt. The game's plot is otherwise actually pretty endearing. They make Zack into a fully fledged character, they sell you on his relationship with Aerith, there's a decent amount of drama between him and Angeal, his broship with Tseng is fine, the wacky hijinks with Yuffie and the way they introduce Cloud to show you that Zack's finally become a hero in his own all work out well. The ending is a pretty nice punch, too, because even though you know from square one that it's coming, they sell you on it.

I just can't stand Genesis, LOVELESS and Minerva.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If I didn't know any better, I'd say that thing looks like an odd version of Meta Knight if you look at it from the back.
When I see a robot linking with the person who awakened it with a magic stone alls I can be reminded of is Emerl!

ibzVEwWM3I47Z9.png

No Prof. Beef! Don't feed it the rest of the Zodiac Stones!

This is my second time through the game, though I haven't played it since like, 2008. So in a way it is my first, except that it is also my second. I know how it all ends, but I'm trying to ignore it so I can enjoy it.
Then how come ya keep hammering on
Angeal killing his mom when it was she who killed herself
? I kinda forgot about that myself so maybe you haven't quite caught up to me even though you get to blaze through the game!

In spite of my whining, I really do like CC. The battle system is fun, the materia system works, and the missions are never so long that you grow to hate them.
Ya got any Materia Fusion tips? Leveling materia up is so random that it makes me not wanna "waste" any good mastered materia! Also the missions are short but the amount of times some random monsters can just 1 or 2 shot ya is starting to get to me ;_;

Man, I really do love "Fight With Seymour." It's probably one of my most used songs while playing Dissidia.
But Metaknight wouldn't call anyone master!
When I see a robot linking with the person who awakened it with a magic stone alls I can be reminded of is Emerl!

ibzVEwWM3I47Z9.png

No Prof. Beef! Don't feed it the rest of the Zodiac Stones!

Ya got any Materia Fusion tips? Leveling materia up is so random that it makes me not wanna "waste" any good mastered materia! Also the missions are short but the amount of times some random monsters can just 1 or 2 shot ya is starting to get to me ;_;

I only fed him one! Although now you've given me a nickname that I might use if I decide to play FFT again. :lol

As for Materia Fusion, the only thing you should really aim for is Costly Punch. 99,999 damage to any enemy is nothing to sneeze at!

jaxword

WWhatever else you do, hike down to Mysidia and build up to buy everything. You will then have no problems again until the final dungeon.

Gee, what's the point of playing the game, then, if you remove all possible challenge for the entire thing?

Game breaking is fun, but not for a first timer, you know?

Also, I can't wait until people start finishing FFT so we can see the ending debates fire up again (and get shot down, because now there's actual creator commentary to use).

sphinx

the piano man
Gee, what's the point of playing the game, then, if you remove all possible challenge for the entire thing?

can someone explain what is there in the Mysidia shops and why is it so game breaking?

Heropon

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy IV The After Years - The Eidolons Shackled

Before killing some dark aeons, I customize some armor to have an easier time with them. This first version of definitive armor is only recommended in the fights against dark Valefor, Ifrit, Ixion, Shiva and Yojimbo. It contains the next abililities: Auto-phoenix (cheap version of auto-life, only wastes phoenix downs but doesn't work when everyone dies at the same time), auto-haste (obviously), auto-protect (dangerous attacks are all physical) and auto-potion (throw the potions and ultrapotions to a bin and the x-potions will keep everyone at 9999).
My chosen party is Tidus, Wakka and Rikku because I like their overdrives (even if I don't use Rikku's one until Penance). Yuna is in the back row to call her when I need to summon an aeon to sponge a very powerful attack. A 255 speed stat for her is very advisable (Her speed was mediocre when I tried to destroy the Aeons, and she wasted many turns).

hLbIx.png
QXKGn.png

Auron tells the party to go to Besaid to get a Jecht sphere he forgot there, but an evil priest appears to call them infidels. Ohhhhhh, I'm scaaaared.

9yR8m.png
e7k45.png

Dark Valefor: It has 800,000HP. Let's do some calcs, if it doesn't have enough defense to make Wakka's overdrive do less than 99,999 per hit then I do 100,000 x 12 - 12 = 11,999,988 of damage.
What HP is left after the attack? 800,000 - 11,999,988 = OVERKILL. Nothing more to say, your honor.

Next, please!

9RVrH.png
If59n.png

Let's see if someone remembers these sentences said by the villagers to the priest:
"Stay away from the summoner!" - Old woman.
"You're a bad man! - Little kid.

2uBig.png
rtV2n.png

I'm not going to get all the Jecht spheres because at this point an overdrive that does 199,998 damage is pretty weak, but I get the one in this village. Jecht whines about how crummy this village is. Pardon? You look like a beggar, so hush! And then Braska decided that Auron should bring Yuna to this crummy island when he dies.

Y871J.png

"I'm so hungry, I could eat a shoopuf!"

TIzmP.gif
Grandia II - Purification Of Darkness ~ Battle With The Parts

The next dark aeon is in Bikanel, near the BOOM site.

GL7sq.png
Mhymj.png

This woman wants me to look for her daughter, but it's a trap!

KUPDd.png
Okpjc.png

The fight is against three-eyed Ifrit, en garde!

bgdWx.png
SBGc9.png

Dark Ifrit: It has 1,400,000 HP, enough to survive an attack reels, but that doesn't mean that it's going to survive long.

ZMOiu.png

The summoner doesn't survive either...

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy XIII - Blinded by Light

The aeon is in the Thunder Plains, like any good electric elemental would do.

VwDtU.png
7mgbw.png

Remember me? Of course, you were that soldier that runs and calls some summoners. Prepare to die!

77m9L.png
n1XVh.png

Dark Ixion: You have to fight this horse twice, you know what they say: "Lightning strikes twice". Not really, there's a certain Lightning that strikes more than that. With the stats I have I can talk about nonsense like this and kill it anyways because it's really easy: 1,200,000 HP says all. Trivia: This is the only enemy that casts Thundaja and it uses the same animation as Thundaga.

XBTT0.png
vnqFa.png

The old man has a heart attack and dies. Now I have to harvest the kid, but a minigame starts and I have to catch him.

AuLpj.png

ManHorse is the only animal that trips over the same stone twice. Regards to Lightning's horse, Odin!

TIzmP.gif
Persona 4 - I'll Face Myself

The next aeon is just two areas apart from here: Macalania Temple.

2SVgp.png
tt6c7.png

There are still guado bastards here and they try to kill me! It seems he doesn't know my stats!

szS75.png
JKpHY.png

Dark Shiva (1,100,000 HP): She has low HP, but I didn't start the battle with Wakka's overdrive gauge filled so she didn't die quick. She's fast and her overdrive gauge the same so she managed to do a Diamond Dust before dying. Fortunately for me, Anima protects well.

77nqx.png
nyRYs.png

When Shiva dies, a persecution begins and the party has to flee like after murdering Seymour. You can return later and hear people how now that the Guado aren't there everything's better. Of course, I'm not racist, but they are evil!

TIzmP.gif
Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Ho-Oh Battle

And now it's time to go to see the last aeon in this update. This is when things start getting rough.

2YlAz.png
ZrBdD.png

In the Cave of the Stolen Fayth the summoner of Dark Yojimbo appears but you can escape when he sees you.

5H8Tg.png
23plj.png

You have to defeat it five times to truly defeat it. There are four encounters on the way out of the cave, but if you don't find the one that is in a detour the summoner will flee in the fourth battle and you'll have to defeat it again. This situation can be advantageous and be used to get a few Ribbon+Break HP limit armors.

Strategy: Yojimbo always attacks first in the first battle, so if he uses Wazikashi that means game over. Latter Wazikashis can be endured if Cheer is used. The dagger attack causes poison and Daigoro petrifies (Dispeling effect). He has 1,600,000 HP, so that means 8,000,000 in total (like Dark Anima). Considering its attacks, it isn't really difficult, but definitely harder than the last ones.

DF8Gm.png

Yojimbo is really nice and drops a ribbon armor that is going to be pretty useful to Rikku. Thanks. <3<3<3

talDz.png
XpVjR.png

TIzmP.gif
Persona 3 - Mass Destruction

BONUS: Oops, I forgot Omega! It/He? rests in the depths of Omega Ruins and awaits its death after 700 years. About the boss, it has 999999 HP in this version (I heard that it was 99,999 in the original, so pitiful :lol).

CqZXp.png
qMsEX.png

Kimahri can learn Nova from this battle (from Nemesis too). I think the readers are already familiar with Wakka's attack reels. Well, they strike again.

jvGm5.png
8uGn1.png

Kiss me!
Auron says something about leaving Spira for the living. Yeah!

Next: The rest of dark aeons and Penance.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.

where from there????
Cid tells you about the
Sunfire, which I think he outright says can destroy the Dreadnought
. You should ask Princess Hilda and whatever other important NPCs are hanging around the home town where to find it and what you need to do to obtain it. There's a bit of running around the world involved before
taking on the Dreadnought
, just to try and keep you from getting lost again.

Not necessarily trying to be coy, IIRC progressing actually requires you to talk to Hilda (or maybe Minwu) again since you have to prompt someone with a key word. Not entirely sure though, don't remember.

can someone explain what is there in the Mysidia shops and why is it so game breaking?

You travel to Mysidia much later, so the weapons there are simply a lot more powerful than anything you normally have access to in the early game. It's not a big deal.

But if you go there, I specifically suggest buying the
Fire Lances
. I remember a lot of things in the beginning having that elemental weakness...

Aeana

Also, I can't wait until people start finishing FFT so we can see the ending debates fire up again (and get shot down, because now there's actual creator commentary to use).
It certainly doesn't remove all challenge from the game, it just makes the curve smoother. And it's not like it's easy to raise the requisite money and actually get to Mysidia in one piece at the beginning of the game, either.

Fire spears. Most of the enemies in the game are weak to fire, and those weapons are really powerful.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
OP's got updated profiles for Angeal, Yuffie, Genesis, Hojo, and Hollander along with updated Mission & DMW status.

Gotta have more of them "Missions & Memories"! To make up for the lack of missions last time we have here a couple that spanned multiple chapters! Its all start to come together, ne?

M&Ms.4

Missions: Those Who Were Spared
ib0fHxb1BHIuGA.jpg

Although the war with Wutai had ended, remnants of Wutai soldiers continued to cause trouble for Shinra. Over time Zack undertook a number of missions to combat them. For what were supposed to just be fragments of an army there sure were alot of these guys. Heck they even had their regular monsters and even more powerful anti-SOLDIER monsters! At long last the cave where the Five Saints of Wutai was discovered and Zack was sent in to crush 'em. He fought and defeated Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, and lastly Auintus. It turns out these were the Crescent Unit guys Zack let escape with their lives. Back then they said they'd get him back someday... not this day though seeing as how he mopped the floor with 'em. Once again Zack doesn't feel like finishing them off which annoys 'em. "...Are you going to let the cycle go on? We will always target Shinra as long as we live." Zack tells the guy his dream of becoming a hero and bringing happiness to others. Then he says if the guys dream is to revive Wutai that dying here isn't gonna help with that. Again the Wutai guy says Zack may regret this later. Zack shrugs it off "If you want to try and defeat me, I'll take you on anytime."

Missions: Truth Behind the Outbreak
iUewdYhLWtd5A.jpg
ibyCwuIpFKaoMV.jpg

Sometime back a man in Sector 8 mentioned monsters swarming the outskirts of Midgar & Kalm and later on a little girl in the Sector 5 slums said people had gone out to fight them including her uncle, whom she asked to marry and was told she'd be allowed to someday. Little by little Zack went out on missions to combat these creatures as well. After speaking with a rather rude scientist in the Exhibit Room Kunsel calls and explains that the monsters he's been fighting are ones that escaped from Shinra's labs. And by escaped he implies that someone on the inside was releasing them and Shinra is quietly covering this up by having SOLDIER eliminate the monsters. Upon returning from another elimination mission he bumps into the scientist again who tells Zack about the Cetra and how they're supposed to know where the Promised Land is. Zack say it sounds like a fairy tale which irks the guy. "The Science Department has invested vast amounts of money to study this 'fairy tale'. Even if it means making the most inhuman sacrifices. My point is this... Shinra is an entity that deserves to perish."

Kunsel enters the room to take this scientist into custody much to Zack's surprise. As it turns out Kunsel doesn't just gossip all the time, he actually does do work! Er, I mean the scientist was the one releasing the monsters to try and destroy Midgar. This guy says he wanted to destroy the town to atone for the Science Departments sins and that even destroying it twice over wouldn't make up for how they sacrificed the last Cetra, Ilfalna. He's then taken away by Kunsel who wonders how a guy second only to Hojo in the Science Department could go so wrong. Zack then reports back to the man saying he'd gotten rid of all the monsters around town. "Heh. Some 'Weapons' they were!" The man says Zack is oblivious to how sick the planet is and walks away questioning how Zack will fight that. Down in the slums, the little girl says her uncle has returned from fighting the monsters. She says he's nice to girls, good looking, his house is full of shiny & pretty things, and that his job is being a Don. Huh...

Missions: Developing the City
ieEDpg3CfUKNo.jpg

A man in charge of city planning and his secretary ask for Zack's assistance dealing with some of Midgar's problems like urban decay and increased energy consumption. These don't seem like things SOLDIER is trained to deal with but he'll help out anyway. His first successful mission earns him thanks and the number to the Sector 8 Materia Shop, which is apparently #1 in the world of materia sales. After two more missions the grateful city planners award him with a membership to the Sector 5 Materia Shop, which was the very first materia shop ever opened! Three more missions complete the series of city development projects and Zack's rewarded with access to the Sector 6 Accessory Shop. The city planning director thanks Zack on behalf of his department and says he'll make a request at the next board meeting to get him some new missions!

Memories: Fringe Benefits
ibjXg6myBmamWK.jpg
iJN1Eh0ecYS7u.jpg

Zack recalls asking Sephiroth about 1st Class benefits.

Zack: "Do 1sts get some kind of special treatment?"
Sephiroth: "Why are you asking me?"'
Zack: "Well, you're not your average SOLIDER member, so..."
Sephiroth: "If you want to know about 1sts, talk to Lazard."
Zack: "Are you in a bad mood or something?"
*Sephiroth walks away while Kunsel approaches*
Kunsel: "How can you know so little and still be 1st? Use of personal equipment is allowed, as well as items beyond those supplied by the company. There's also talk that they have the right to refuse direct orders. That's strictly off the record though..."
Zack: "Huh."
*Zack walks away*
Kunsel: "Did you even hear what I said?"

Heropon

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Etro's Champion

0ycdb.png
n6u4Z.png

Oh, Zanarkand's save sphere, how I missed you! Bahamut has occupied Yunalesca's room and now wants to kill me.

L9NxI.png
bZQgt.png

This boss means serious business, it uses Impulse each time it's attacked five times and it has petrifying properties so I must equip Ribbon(Stoneproof) armor for this battle. This boss has a very high defense so overdrives aren't recommended (the wait time is longer than two Quick Hits and do less damage in more time). When the overdrive gauge fills, the next attack is Mega Flare, that is deadly, so Yuna has to sacrifice an aeon for the greater good.

hEqWD.png

After lots of Quick Hits (41), dead aeons and X-Potions using the item equivalent of Quick Hit Bahamut surrenders. There wasn't a summoner this time, I suppose this monster was wandering the world alone.

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy XI - Awakening

0hNZV.png
sPmAD.png

Phew, not every Ronso was dead after all. To summon Anima, I need to complete Wakka's trial again.

htO8A.png
9akOu.png

I can see the chains!!! Time to defeat this monster then.

OJDyP.png
fBZeQ.png

Anima: Her normal attack petrifies and breaks so stoneproof/ribbon is mandatory. Fortunately, she doesn't counterattack so less time is wasted healing. She also can do mega-graviton and substract 7/16 of the max HP to all the party.

gKpp5.png
1Vn1o.png

Pain means death to a character. I try to survive Oblivion the first time using Auto-Life, but it also kills my MP so it isn't a good idea.

hHoa4.png
D43sn.png

It's best to use a summon to not waste many ethers. My Anima doesn't have the lower half!

6FYty.png

After 81 Quick Attacks the monster dies and everyone is happy forever.

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy X-2 - I'll Give You Something Hot!

I like my references to other playthroughs. The Dark Magus Sisters are in the Mushroom Rock Road.

oJIen.png
GPyra.png

A woman and a bald child are the summoners of Sandy and Mindy. A persecution starts when they see Tidus, they want to kiss him.

OEjqT.png
lmwoR.png

I have to go through the road without letting them catch me. The thing I want is beating them one by one.

FgoLX.png
n2OdA.png

BUT IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE. They start with the overdrive gauge charged so I want to kill Mindy (less HP) as soon as possible because I can only survive one Delta Attack. And why is that? Two of the Magus Sisters attack before the third uses it, so only my Magus Sisters can survive the two attacks and then sponge the overdrive.

G4JNO.png
9ix81.png

With Mindy dead this battle is only a matter of endurance. Their normal attacks are single target (Cindy damages the MP) and their overdrive is mega-graviton.

Gf2Q1.png
ZBa8L.png

And then the other two die too. Gullwings take the gold!

0aefR.png
jDlfb.png

Thanks to all the casualties, Penance arrives to talk me about honor and then kill me.

pQJ0Y.png
2iJ4v.png

TIzmP.gif
A Contest of Aeons

Preparations: Bring many X-Potions, two healing springs, a purifying salt, a three stars and armors with the skills: Phys. Defense +20%, auto-protect, auto-haste and auto-potion.

The battle: Use Rikku's overdrive to mix two healing springs and cast Ultra NulAll as it's like Cheer x5 and other unimportant things to this battle.

DpH9x.png
l74oB.png

Thanks to that, auto-protect, defense +20% and auto-potion the party survives its "normal" attack and recover 9999 HP after that automatically. The arms have 500,000 HP each. Neither of the two arms should attack but the right one is the most dangerous so kill it first. Do five Quick Hits and then when it's going to act do the final strike. Repeat it each time one of them revives. Use a three stars as soon as possible, we'll know why later.

0j3K9.png
Z6ZXj.png

When Penance loses 3,000,000 HP it changes form and adquires haste, so use a puryfing salt to dispel it as soon as possible. It starts doing an attack that erases a character's MP and induces Armor Break. If the victim is Tidus or Wakka they'll counterattack so the turn lost by using Dispel on them to quit the Armor Break isn't really lost. The Three Stars were needed to do Dispel and Quick Hit with 0 MP.

Keep attacking until the party depletes the remaining HP (9,000,000) and it'll die. It's a pretty boring battle if this strategy is used, but it's impossible to die.

7IQzz.png
mLBME.png

BOOM! I win monies and chicks and...

6nkKr.png
Ukjca.png

Oh, Wakka, the battle has ended, did you know? The party gets lots of useless goodies now that all the powerful monsters are in a better world. The real reward are bragging rights? Whatever...

Next: Final update!

CorvoSol

Then how come ya keep hammering on
Angeal killing his mom when it was she who killed herself
? I kinda forgot about that myself so maybe you haven't quite caught up to me even though you get to blaze through the game!

Because he did? I don't remember her killing herself. Zack comes in to save her prior to the explosion, and she's on the floor dead. Next to the door is Angeal, with his Buster Sword drawn, which he only ever draws in SUPER SPECIAL CASES. Then Zack is all "Dude what the hell?" and Angeal does NOT deny killing his mother. His response sounds like he DID kill her. So as far as I can tell, he DID do it, which means all his stuff about honor is a lie because he's a matricide.

Mog summon masters everything, so get that if you don't have it. It's pretty nice to have. I built Dark Firaga pretty fast by combining Fire and Silence and Fira. Also: HP UP materia is pretty good to fuse, since you can get it up pretty fast. I presently have an HP UP++ that boosts my HP 160%. Zack's beefy.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the stupid Genji stuff because I need that if I'm to survive.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
As for Materia Fusion, the only thing you should really aim for is Costly Punch. 99,999 damage to any enemy is nothing to sneeze at!
I looked up ways to make it but totally lack the ingredients at this point. For some strange reason I haven't found any Punch type materia even though you can supposedly get them early on -_-?

Because he did? I don't remember her killing herself. Zack comes in to save her prior to the explosion, and she's on the floor dead. Next to the door is Angeal, with his Buster Sword drawn, which he only ever draws in SUPER SPECIAL CASES. Then Zack is all "Dude what the hell?" and Angeal does NOT deny killing his mother. His response sounds like he DID kill her. So as far as I can tell, he DID do it, which means all his stuff about honor is a lie because he's a matricide.
Its stated in chapter 6 that she killed herself out of shame and ya gotta take it as that. Angeal initially claiming responsibility is the classic trope of rival/mentor breaking ties or trying to push the hero forward by making it seem like they did some bad thing. When in reality he prolly returned to pick his sword up which he'd left there and found her already dead. She prolly poisoned that tea she was drinking when Zack first showed up!

Mog summon masters everything, so get that if you don't have it. It's pretty nice to have. I built Dark Firaga pretty fast by combining Fire and Silence and Fira. Also: HP UP materia is pretty good to fuse, since you can get it up pretty fast. I presently have an HP UP++ that boosts my HP 160%. Zack's beefy.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the stupid Genji stuff because I need that if I'm to survive.
The Mogs been nice to me a few times but Chocobo mode is more miss than hit for me. Guess this is what New Game+ is nice for since it carries over items/materia! I did make a Wall materia with a nice HP bonus! Regular Firaga and Tri-Fire have been pretty nice to me so I'ma try an make a dark one now! Is that Genji equipment super expensive or just really hard to find?

CorvoSol

Its stated in chapter 6 that she killed herself out of shame and ya gotta take it as that. Angeal initially claiming responsibility is the classic trope of rival/mentor breaking ties or trying to push the hero forward by making it seem like they did some bad thing. When in reality he prolly returned to pick his sword up which he'd left there and found her already dead. She prolly poisoned that tea she was drinking when Zack first showed up!

Why did Angeal have his sword out, then? Hmm. FINE I'LL GO EASY ON HIM LINDSAY. Whatever. It's not like I LIKE him or anything
/tsundere

The Mogs been nice to me a few times but Chocobo mode is more miss than hit for me. Guess this is what New Game+ is nice for since it carries over items/materia! I did make a Wall materia with a nice HP bonus! Regular Firaga and Tri-Fire have been pretty nice to me so I'ma try an make a dark one now! Is that Genji equipment super expensive or just really hard to find?

Just late game, I think. It's necessary to fight Minerva, though, which is my goal in this game. I need to kill her, and not just because I want to kill ALL the Superbosses, but because I really, really want to ruin her for choosing Genesis of all people.

OF NOTE: I did not kill any Super Bosses in Echoes of Time. I'm sure you all forgive me. ALSO: I still feel shame some nights that I didn't bother to kill Neo Shinryu or Omega Mk. II.

Heropon

oBhlC.png
9L2D9.png

The party does a little trip to Sin and saves in the last save point of the game. Wow, 95:11 hours! I didn't play that much actually, the turbo button is the best thing created by man!

oPH4E.png
Vqw7Z.png

This place is really strange and a tower falls from the sky. We don't have anything better to do, so let's enter it. This is the point of no return, but there aren't save points inside, so it doesn't matter.

MQFMV.png
kuKbs.png

Tidus now has to collect eggs/whatever to advance in the game while he avoids spikes from the ground. WTH? Seriously, what does this mean!? I'm getting crazy. @_@

By the way, touching a spike starts a random battle. It can be the evil quick blue Malboro, I died with all my 255 stats to one of them here. I was so furious!!! Another note: This area could be seen after the Mi'ihen operation when Tidus dived too near to Sin.

pZknL.png
EyS6Y.png

I remember this place, it was where Tidus went first after entering Sin the first time. Talking with Jecht starts the final sequence of events.

w6ALy.png
CpPoW.png

Jecht starts saying that Auron has come late and calling Tidus skinny. Nice as always, old man.

YHDQZ.png
nmE1y.png

Tidus tells him how he hates him, but I think that's to make up his mind to fight him later. He's going to lose his consciousness soon, so...

DToMF.png
cG7lY.png

TIzmP.gif
Otherworld

A transformation sequence, I love them! The first one I saw was when Frieza... Is that city Dream Zanarkand?

T78R1.png
AZsmC.png

OH YES! This is going to be one of the best battles!

zBLEU.png
Y5Hew.png

THE BUG! The climax! Where it has gone!? I can't believe it, game ruined forever! This boss (real final boss) is difficult when you don't power level, but this isn't the case. When the party does 60,000 of damage (in one hit, of course), it takes a sword from himself.

e3ZkE.png
Mkq77.png

This form seems to have 120,000 HP (lots when you can only do 9999, but now...). One question, if the Yevon church had all those dark aeons that are that much more powerful than Sin how is it that they didn't use them to defeat it? Poor old man is defeated and he's going to die.

Vek9B.png
kHUUD.png

Now that he's about to die, Tidus can be more honest and call him father and how he doesn't hate him that much. But it isn't time for laments, the party has to summon the aeons to stop Yu Yevon from fusing with things.

xy4JF.png
lRWXP.png

Jecht dies finally and Yu Yevon uses his sword to create the next battlefield.

OBDWE.png
kzZV0.png

TIzmP.gif
A Contest of Aeons

Yuna has to summon all her aeons one by one to kill them when Yu Yevon possesses them so he can't hide anymore.

cSpQH.png
pG1pg.png

Magus Sisters, I loved how you helped me against the arena monsters when I was too weak and how you defended me from your evil counterparts. For that, thanks.

tsCiW.png
Ebr3B.png

Anima, I loved how you did 7 digits of damage that one time and how you defeated that evil giant flan time after time. For that, thanks.

qPSx6.png
XEzB5.png

Yojimbo, I loved how you evaded all those attacks and "swooned" that bird. I also liked how you took almost 200,000 gil from me. For that, thanks.

9MASN.png
hRjIr.png

Bahamut, I loved how you finished Seymour Novus, Seymour Flux and Yunalesca with your fiery breath. You also were the one that taught me that attacks that did more than 9999 existed and being a good agent. For that, thanks.

kR3Re.png

Yuna, be strong! The end is near.

y9QTj.png
AVPNx.png

Shiva, I loved how you could stand in front of bigger enemies than you and defeat them with style. For that, thanks.

3K4Ye.png
VRVEa.png

Ixion, I loved how you trotted and galloped, how balanced you were and how you remind me of Lightning. For that, thanks.

yJDA2.png
79QsZ.png

Ifrit, I loved how you burnt the Chocobo Eater and those Ochus. For that, thanks.

cJ5Tx.png

Only Valefor is left, sigh.

uklqG.png
YcOV2.png

Valefor, you were my first aeon. I loved how you overkilled all those bosses and how you saved Yuna from that fall. For that, thanks.

TIzmP.gif
The Final Battle

J0HKj.png
F3ilN.png

And the real form of the big bad is... A giant tick? WHAT? This is a good example of why he needed an armor called Sin, look at it!

jyMzc.png
IIUJc.png

Tidus says now that he's going to disappear when they defeat Yu Yevon. At the end, Yuna's fate has been transfered to Tidus, in that he has to "die" to defeat Sin/Yu Yevon.

aLG2V.png
8ysNV.png

The battle: He cures himself each time he's attacked. 9999 of damage -> He cures 9999. What really happens: I do 99,999 in one attack and he dies directly.

o6fEK.png
9737w.png
a355o.png
NFHz1.png

Hasta la vista, baby!

QJ8JU.png
08NSr.png

All people on Spira can see the fireworks show and celebrate with joy! The fayth stones start becoming normal rocks.

6OgLp.png
bM8lq.png

Yuna has to send the dead including Auron now that he has completed his mission.

JQLIq.png
oF9ws.png

I love this gesture of complicity, Kimahri protected Yuna as he should have done. Don't put that face, Tidus. You're going to die too.

2RDzd.png

He leaves a better world after all.

xabp6.png

The aeons have to disappear, including Sin.

DAszG.png

l6cY4.png

OkTFQ.png

AcExt.png

The fayths petrify and...

d0GQE.png

The dream people disappear too.

a9UZ7.png

41Iiq.png

That means that Tidus is going to vanish at any time. Yuna runs to hug him but trips. :(

TxJAn.png
XnAVN.png

I love you. ;_;

Jj8L6.png
Wyh6e.png

ijETX.png

Yuna, whistling isn't going to bring you back your loved ones...

p7hBz.png

sVu65.png

2P1Uv.png

...right?

7bv7D.png

Lu4aT.png

FIN

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
A whole chapter packed into a single update! Haven't seen that since the first!

Pt.12 "It's Summer Vacation! Let's Gather, Everybody!"

i5SqIYZiYePAD.jpg
iyhwDJ43xwKIu.jpg

"Project G was Angeal's mother's experiment. I apprehended Hollander in Modeo and turned him over to the company. After that, the company put me on standby. That was a while ago now... Shinra is apparently in disarray right now. The Turks are hanging around me every day. They say our vacations "overlapped" coincidentally. Yeah, right... What do I have left to fight for?" Zack's grumpy over the forced vacation and apparent surveillance he's under yet still keeps himself in shape by doing squats on the Costa del Sol beach. Even a swimsuited Cissnei can't bring his mind off of his work. He's about to call the company to see what's up but Cissnei stops and informs him that Lazard's gone missing and that he had been funding Hollander's research.

it4uLL4o7zLPm.jpg
ijDd6Xl4FsaB3.jpg

She then guesses that Zack's going to call Aeris next which makes him ask if he's being watched, but nope. Aeris is the one being spied upon since she's the last Ancient much to his surprise. Their chatter cuts short when Tseng scoots down to the beach and points out some divers coming up out of the water... which are actually Genesis copies! Zack is unarmed so he quickly improvises and pulls up a parasol and combats the wave of guys in style! Once they're down Zack wonders how copies can still be around? Tseng suggests that perhaps Genesis isn't dead, or maybe his soul is somehow controlling them from the lifestream. Regardless, everyones vacation is over cause shit is going down in Junon!

iY7vKW6UDyRiO.jpg
ibrfPz7L9dKSOF.jpg

ibeOzMRNmKyKHE.jpg
ibl3PYbt2ZgvVi.jpg

Genesis copies are running amok here too! The Turks are gonna help evacuate residents while Zack is supposed to find and protect Hollander who was being held there. He'd rather fight but the president insisted Hollander not be allowed to escape or die since he knows to many company secrets. There's still plenty of fighting to be had along the way though! Once again our hero charges into a spray of bullets unhindered and kicks some butt. On Junon level six he finds some downed allies and a Genesis copy with a big freaking gun! Its stronger and more annoying than the rest yet no match for Zack! A SOLIDER 3rd Class tells him that security was spread thin so uh... Hollander kind of escaped. Now Zack's got to chase him down!

iPBSJol9xylCP.jpg
ibqRQCete05vvP.jpg

ibqNtI0xNXOSB9.jpg
ibgicRCNCZycuB.jpg

On the way he gets mail from Kunsel who tells him that Shinra's being attacked all over the place and that with Director Lazard missing the chain of command is in shambles and no one knows where anyone is! Zack spots Hollander but more copies keep getting in the way allowing him to run! When he does catch up, the guy somehow sics a freaking tank on him! This clunker can only attack from the front but it has support units which can get in the way and really be pests! Some Tri-Fire downs them with ease and Zack gets some help from Tseng in the form of an Air Strike which finished the tank off! A whole bunch of people enter and Tseng says this is where they'll be sticking to in order to protect the residents. A 3rd Class SOLDIER mentions a grunt got airsick on the way over and that grunt turns out to be Cloud! He's surprised Zack remembers him... must have low self-esteem. Zack reassures him that rescue work is important and that they should grab a bite to eat after both the situation and Clouds stomach calm down.

iqwUa1ivQVLQc.jpg
i4Xl68lPKz9o9.jpg

Zack resumes his chase but that crafty Hollander still has more underhanded tricks up his sleeves. A slew of mechs are marching towards the gate where the citizens are which means its tower defense time! These things are a little tricky because they'll try and move out of the way when you get close to initiate combat. Thankfully they're not super speedy. Plus Zack has a mastered Hell Thundaga materia on hand which one shots 'em! Now that's overkill! With every last one of them defeated the citizens are safe, so the chase should have continued... but instead he goes looking for Cissnei!

ibl0h6T65ofvA.jpg
iOVmB3RS0Ve1s.jpg

Zack was worried about her all alone up on the eight level but she's doing well for herself having taken out some copies. He says she'll make Turks supervisor in no time and that he'll throw her a party when she gets promoted! Cissnei however isn't used to praise given her mysterious upbringing. She used to think of everybody as an enemy but lately has changed her stance on that thanks to her Turks buddies. Zack asks what she did before joining the Turks but she'll be keeping that info private. "If you keep slacking off, you're going to disappoint your fans." He has fans?! It's about time!

iitKpu1W7O7uV.jpg
i2qZY3czh8Ipf.jpg

With his fans in mind he heads to the airport and up the lift there when a big old Guard Scorpion leaps out and attacks! "Now it's scorpion mechs!? Get out of my way, or else!" It has the ever annoying EM Field attack among others but in the end it got smacked down hard. So hard infact that it didn't even get a chance to use its patented Tail Laser! With that thing scrapped Hollander has nowhere else to run. Zack corners him at the very edge of the air field yet he's still acting cocky and does the unexpected: jumps off the edge!

id9XAjVtvnr31.jpg
iY4vy6s3AxgOn.jpg

iDio6aviYPZvW.jpg
iba4z1bRjNAbyC.jpg

Only to be caught and airlifted to freedom by Genesis copies. Should've seen that coming! "Mission failed. This goes on your permanent record." Ouch. Thanks for rubbing it in Sephiroth. He was on his way to Modeoheim but stopped by Junon since Zack was there. The war against Genesis isn't over yet as copies have been sighted all around the world, including the Midgar slums, which worries Zack! Sephiroth offers him a friendly smile and grants him permission to get back to Midgar! Having not seen him in so long, Zack is hesistant to leave so Sephiroth assures him they'll meet again soon. Meanwhile, somewhere close by... "My friend, your desire; Is the bringer of life, the gift of the goddess; Legend shall speak; Of sacrifice at world's end; The wind sails over the water's surface; Quietly, but surely"...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Heropon said:
When I was a teenager, FFX's ending made me cry my eyes out. If Square-Enix decides to get off their asses and decides to work on that HD version of FFX we'll see if that'll still be the case.

Anyway, thanks for going through the hassle of fighting the Dark Aeons! I've never seen that stuff before, and I like what I see. When I'd played through FFX (2-3 times) in the past, I didn't really customize equipment unless I was doing arena stuff or try to customize my Aeons to stay alive (mostly because I don't use Aeons). The game never really forced you to do it even though it gave you the opportunities to do it.

But the Dark Aeons seem to make you customize almost everything at your disposal in order to defeat the Aeons + Penance with less hassle. By comparison, they seem harder than the final battle aeons, and way more fun. If I ever play the International version of FFX one day, I'll look forward to the harder stuff.

Zoe

Wait, you guys actually got the "I love you" here? This is more or less a famous moment of German FF translation. In German it actually says "Danke." (Thank you). Which is kinda strange when you hear her say "I love you".

So you guys got the text translation from the Japanese but got the English dub?

Heropon

Wait, you guys actually got the "I love you" here? This is more or less a famous moment of German FF translation. In German it actually says "Danke." (Thank you). Which is kinda strange when you hear her say "I love you".

We're very lucky! It's pretty strange keeping the "thank you" when everybody and their mother knows what "I love you" means and hearing it at the same time could be pretty strange. But then the Baldanders/Barthandelus situation happened in FFXIII, so I suppose the translators simply thought it was more appropiate to say "I love you".

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
There's an interesting interview I remember reading SOMEWHERE where A. O. Smith talks about his decision to translate Yuna's last line as "I love you" instead of "thank you", but of course I can't find anything but this right now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We're very lucky! It's pretty strange keeping the "thank you" when everybody and their mother knows what "I love you" means and hearing it at the same time could be pretty strange. But then the Baldanders/Barthandelus situation happened in FFXIII, so I suppose the translators simply thought it was more appropiate to say "I love you".
Did Carmen Mangiron have a hand in localizing FFX into Spanish? The journal article of hers that I like to cite generally uses FFX-2 as a case study, so I'm wondering.

Ooooh, how did they handle O'aka's way of talking? O'aka used a lot of cockney in his English conversation even though, iirc, there was no specific accent in his Japanese version. I'm guessing they handled Al Bhed in the same way that it was handled in English (with the letters just mixed up).

Jucksalbe said:
If the HD version never comes, don't get the stupid idea to import the PAL version, it'll hurt your eyes. Get the Japanese International version instead. ;)
The PAL version is really that bad? D:

Heropon

Did Carmen Mangiron have a hand in localizing FFX into Spanish? The journal article of hers that I like to cite generally uses FFX-2 as a case study, so I'm wondering.

Ooooh, how did they handle O'aka's way of talking? O'aka used a lot of cockney in his English conversation even though, iirc, there was no specific accent in his Japanese version. I'm guessing they handled Al Bhed in the same way that it was handled in English (with the letters just mixed up).

I saw her in the credits, so yes.

Oaka doesn't have specific accent in this version, and the hypellos don't talk with their 's' -> 'sh' (not in X-2, fortunately).

Al Bhed is handled the same as in English except the characters: ÁÉÍÓÚÜÑ that aren't changed when in Al Bhed.

I'm seeing an interview with the male translator and says that he likes FFVIII more than FFIX. :(

EDIT: I'm going to play FFX from now on in an emulator. God bless the turbo.

There's an interesting interview I remember reading SOMEWHERE where A. O. Smith talks about his decision to translate Yuna's last line as "I love you" instead of "thank you", but of course I can't find anything but this right now.

There's also this interview: http://www.rpgsite.net/interviews/337-alexander-o.-smith-interview

He supposedly explains this decision in details in an article, titled "The Final Word", published in the Japanese magazine Subaru in December 2001, but this article isn't available online (or not in English anyway).

CorvoSol

Oh man Lindsay I LOVE those stupid Beach segments in Crisis Core. Running around as Zack in his trunks with the umbrella was the high point of the game! My new secret theory is that Type-0's localization has been delayed to add a swimsuit mode into the game. BEST IDEA EVER.

Speaking of, I'm in MODEOHEIM now, which is snowy Banora. Really, the external factory is Banora's covered in snow. Anyway, I just met CLOUD STRIFE who, CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF is not at all emo. He's like, 15, right? So presently he's a little shy because ZACK IS SO COOL and Cloud is having a hard time not being that awesome, but he and Zack get along fine otherwise.

Frankly, outside Squall, I no longer see much validity to the claim that FF heroes are angsty. We'll see if that changes from now till the time I play FF7, but I don't really believe it. If Cloud's anything like he was in FF7NES, which is a completely faithful demake, then he was flippant and cocky, not emo. Squall gets over it, Zidane falls to it for like, a minute, Tidus was whiny but also full of himself, Vaan is CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF pretty damn funny, and Lightning was RAGE not ANGST.

Honestly, looking backwards, I can only really see the cast being made for Terra and Cecil. In my head Terra is more inquisitive than angsty, though, which goes with the fact that she's pretty much been emotionally dead for years. Bartz laughs in the face of angst. Cecil gets over it when Dark Schala thinks he becomes "boring" (though the Dark Knight Scene in TAY really does well for his character, I think.), Luneth is the epitome of stupid, Firion is the Chaste Hero and the Warrior has become the Stoic.

Yet I do not deny that there must be SOME reason why the belief that angst in JRPG protagonists is embodied in FF.

Aaaaaaalso my friends have finally sent my birthday present to me, so in the very near future I will begin playing Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection in addition to FFVII.

Do I either of those games require the analog stick? Because one of my PSPs' is broken.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Judge for yourself. Since the Japanese version has an English option, there should be no reason to even consider the PAL version.
oh my god... I have to ask if it seemed as slow as molasses when you first played it with little knowledge of the speed of the NTSC versions.

Does the music slow down like in the PAL Mega Drive version of Sonic 1? The game just seems to run really slow, so I have to wonder about the music.

I saw her in the credits, so yes.

Oaka doesn't have specific accent in this version, and the hypellos don't talk with their 's' -> 'sh' (not in X-2, fortunately).

Al Bhed is handled the same as in English except the characters: ÁÉÍÓÚÜÑ that aren't changed when in Al Bhed.
Ah, I wonder if she's still doing localization for FF now. Thanks.

I was wondering how they were going to account for accented characters, actually. So they aren't changed at all for Al Bhed speech.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh man Lindsay I LOVE those stupid Beach segments in Crisis Core. Running around as Zack in his trunks with the umbrella was the high point of the game! My new secret theory is that Type-0's localization has been delayed to add a swimsuit mode into the game. BEST IDEA EVER.
BESTEST IDEA EVER is adding one to the yet to materialize FFVII remake! With all the dressing up I've heard FFX-2 has, it makes me wonder if that game has swimsuits! Heropon, show us the way if that's the game you're doing next!

Do I either of those games require the analog stick? Because one of my PSPs' is broken.
I dunno about FFIV but VII only uses the stick to bring up/remove that all but useless target indicator in battle. Out of battle it changes the overworld view but the top-down view sucks anyway so its not a loss.

Heropon

BESTEST IDEA EVER is adding one to the yet to materialize FFVII remake! With all the dressing up I've heard FFX-2 has, it makes me wonder if that game has swimsuits! Heropon, show us the way if that's the game you're doing next!

Okay, stay alert for the next updates then!

I love FFX-2, it has a pretty fast battle system with lots of customization. And it has lots of sidequests! It's one of those FFs were the gameplay is the most important thing. Unfortunately, it seems I live in a world where FFIV is considered to be better because it has a serious story, lolololol. Edit: The second best FF, hahahaha!

You can already see what type of Final Fantasies I prefer.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lightning was RAGE not ANGST.
[insert my annoyance with Lightning here, etc.]

Cecil gets over it when Dark Schala thinks he becomes "boring"
Cecil's always been a boring wuss-pants because he just never seems to like getting shit done, and most of the stuff we do in FF4 is generally directed by the other characters. It's just that when he becomes a Paladin and encounters Golbez personally it becomes more apparent. Mostly because Golbez is a much better character (and Kain, to an extent). Cecil's simply a shitty leader in general.

Yet I do not deny that there must be SOME reason why the belief that angst in JRPG protagonists is embodied in FF.
Advent Children + FF8 (+ maybe the characterizations of some of the characters in KH)? Squall perhaps benefitted from his characterization in KH, tbh.

But FF's one of the most popular Japanese-developed RPGs, so of course that generalization's going to spread to other RPGs.

I don't believe FF4 requires the analog stick.

Top Bottom