• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

pikablu

I need to continue 9 soon. If and when I do I'll be sure to update with more pics. I did get one of those logitech wireless controllers afterall. So It'll be much more comfy playing in my bed.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
There is a demo, but it doesn't do it justice.
It does my skill level justice! I keep E ranking the demo songs on basic difficulty -_-; Theres so much going on I can hardly keep up!

I forgot that DoC had multiplayer in Japan.

I head the multiplayer campaign had a really screwed up ending.
From what lil I read up on so far it ends with your character dying!
Screwed up? Seems so!

zgeMN.png

Final boss time, Shuyin: Am I the only one that finds funny how three disguised women are ganging on a poor man? But he isn't weak, as we can see how he tries to imitate Tidus' overdrives (or it's the other way around?).
Gotta say thats a pretty cool final boss! I wonder if SE will do a FFX-2 HD port? And how long it would take them... lol

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years Nowhere is the fact that this game is a retread of its predecessor more obvious and more annoying than in Edward's Tale. You have to go through the stupid freaking Underground Waterway nearly three times in this tale alone, nevermind the fact that you've already done it at least once before in Porom's Tale. I know, I know, this is a cellphone game using assets from a GBA remake of an SNES game, so I shouldn't expect much, but WHY COULDN'T WE TAKE THE HOVERCRAFT?

There are some nice moments in this tale, though, principally Tellah laying the post-mortem smack-down on Edward for being an emo punk 17 years down the road. Harley also tells us the origins of magic and science come from God Krypton the Moon. Oh, and my personal favorite is that, 17 years later, Edward manages to look more badass than Cecil by planting a bug in Cecil's throne room RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM, and also knowing full well what's in Cecil's box. It's a pretty sweet move, really. And his challenge dungeon is babies expensive but I got the Adamantite so I'm moving on. It also doesn't suck as much as Porom's.

Final Fantasy Adventure Fought the Lich (a recurring villain in this series) and got myself the NUKE spell. You heard that right. Sumo has got hisself NUKULUR POWAH. And then I road my Robot-Jesus-Chocobo around some more and killed a Kraken and Ifrit and got a Rusty Sword! Which, aside from the SUPER AWESOME ROBOT JESUS CHOCOBO is pretty much how this went down in Sword of Mana. Oh, and Floatirocks where there are Ninja Turtles.

Final Fantasy Dimensions Climbed Yggdrasil, the World Tree (suck it Faxanadu!) and fought the Jolly Green Giant like, a gajillion times. Now I'm up against the Earth Fiend or General or whatever he is. Turns out that the perverted old Elf (how do Elves get old?) isn't Cloud Strife :(, but actually
Freyr, the Elf King of Hair Metal
. Note that Asmodai is one hard jerk to kill. I have gameovered like four times here and this is the first time in the game. Guy is definitely my One Boss.

Final Fantasy VIII So I had my first Laguna dream and it was pretty awesome. Because Laguna is pretty awesome and FF8 should've been about him. I know, I know, Squall gave us Gunblades which are forever linked with FF now, but I mean, c'mon, you ALL know FF8 would've been an infinitely better game if it had been about Laguna and not included the Orphanage Plot. And then I met the Sorceress, and frankly, The Sorceress is a cool villain, even if breaking her up into Edea, Adel, and Ultimecia kinda makes her unwieldy. If you treat her as one continuous villain, though, she's kinda cool. She's no Golbez, Kefka, or Kuja, but she's okay.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy I've more or less unlocked everyone now. I'm only missing Sephiroth, Seifer, and Vivi, and Sephiroth and Seifer I have found the songs which drop their crystal shards. Vivi, who is supposed to be easiest to unlock, I have yet to get. So my main team, WoL, Bartz, Terra and Cloud, has capped out at level 99. Team two, Locke, Lightning, C. Haze, and Aerith (the Libra team) is about halfway, with Aerith, the lowest level, clocking in at level 52. Game is addictive like no other. I've sunk in 35 hours in no time, and I can't see an exit from it. It might not be the sequel to Dissidia we all wanted, but it is definitely a good game. I just wish the DLC characters from the iOS version were available for the 3DS version, too.

Guh, still no Orange Shards.

Heropon

Gotta say thats a pretty cool final boss! I wonder if SE will do a FFX-2 HD port? And how long it would take them... lol

HD Remake in 2015 and FFXII International Edition HD in 2017 and each of them for 50€.

Honestly, I'm pretty annoyed at Square Enix at the moment. Even freaking Atlus takes less time to bring their 3DS games to Europe.

Heropon

After an story heavy update, it's turn for the proper exploration part of the RPG to shine.

TIzmP.gif
Dragon Quest V - Castle

8sXa9Tm.png
n0ZU2P3.png
srwpyLr.png

This is the moment where I open the menu for the first time and I see Cecil's dark thoughts! He's still concerned about what the heck The King wants. He must have a deep emotional attachment to this person, so I suppose I understand him a little, but only a little, huh? It's not like we can become friends or anything like that.

At a first glance I see that Cecil only has 14 gil. Wow, he's poorer than a little kid. That king is a stingy bastard, if that's the money he gives to the captains I can't imagine how the common soldiers survive. I'll have to visit the kitchen to see if they feed them properly at least.
They don't have one in the castle, those evil bastards.

Let's visit the settings to change the default movement to Run. I'm not brave enough to play with the Active combat as I want to take my time deciding what to use. Pressure is one of my worst enemies.

The third screen shows us the Abilities than Cecil can use and his stats. This screen is pretty important in this version, but I'll talk more about it's goodness at a later point. That Auto-Battle Command is a "sixth command" that the character will use in auto-battle mode. I'll talk about strategies using this option when I fill the manual battle commands, I suppose, as I prefer mashing the A button isntead of letting the game win the battles itself.

By seeing the stats, it's obvious that Cecil is a physical fighter and he's pretty dumb, not that I need to see this screen to know that. Another thing, this is the first Final Fantasy with a character starting the game at a higher level than 1, that shows his experience as an expert soldier, but killing Imps can only carry one person so far.

There are few things in life that I like more than pure gossip, so it's time to hear what the people in the castle think about the recent events:

4dE1x.png
8jRHI.png
0oPHH.png
jzRDf.png

mdE9z.png
fqX7t.png
oKBXp.png

The trending topics right now in Baron Castle are The King and Mist. I understand them talking about Their Majesty, but I suppose that the chat about Mist is because Cecil asks them if they can give information of his next destination. RPGs never show the player asking the NPCs, but we can imagine that Cecil says them things like "My dear The King is acting awfully suspicious, do you know anything about it?" or "The King has ordered me to go to Mist, do you know something about that place?" before they talk. The castle is at least well organized, the soldiers and the dragoons are in diferent wings of the building. In the dragoon's room we can see Kain looking throught the window instead of preparing the journey like he promised. Let's scold him a little!

G5Pdx.png
r7Zb5.png
ZNbSH.png

Oh boy, Cecil is going to apologize to Kain again? That certainly substracts jerk points, I wonder if he noticed the ranking in the last update and wants to go down some positions. He shouldn't worry too much about that, he was third of four people, not that bad for being a horrible bastard to all those mages. Kain notices the transformation of Cecil into a pussy and wants to know what is happening to him.

s3mpf.png
I03Vo.png
hug0P.png
Nhdd2.png

Thanks to this conversation we discover more of Cecil's past and why he became a Dark Knight. It seems that The King's dark intentions aren't anything new and he started asking suspicious things a long time ago, as I suppose Cecil isn't a dark knight since yesterday.

"Our The King had his reasons" must be some kind of magic words for excusing everything they do, if that's ok with you guys, I won't say anything more than that you need more personality.

I wonder what the reason for Cecil's envy is. I suppose he'd like to think less about what's right and what's wrong.

2qmYG.png
Qnm4g.png
m63lt.png
UZSzc.png
6bhOz.png

Seeing this flashback, it seems that Cecil envies Kain's strong will? At this point in the game that's all the information we have about Kain, so I'll play along.

RTt03.png
diTRw.png
hcDAf.png
DQidq.png
Di0DG.png

Wits? Have you seen his Intellect stat? Of course not! After this conversation, I think that these two "friends" doesn't know too well each other. Well, let's keep hearing what the multiple NPCs have to say.

VUgUx.png
W2K59.png
23dtQ.png

mxher.png
WGtJy.png
Z7dSX.png
SZuEC.png

There's always a place for humor in the old fashioned Final Fantasy. It's something that I miss now with all the melodrama and stuff.

lsV72.png
KWaLk.png
ipMO3.png
Pjcih.png
qoPIC.png

The King seems younger? As we should know at this point, is that NPCs don't say things in vain. There's some serious shit going around with The King's change of attitude... Yeah, I know everything, but it's interesting to see the foreshadowing of events thanks to NPC dialogue. It's one of those things that helps in the world building and the player to not think that the creators have pulled a piece of plot from their arses, like certain Deux ex Machinas and stuff.

It's funny how this white mage says that Cure, Cura and Curaga should be known by every white mage. That shows how incompetent is Rosa at first. But then the next NPC tells why Rosa became a white mage, so I should suspect that she doesn't know Cura yet because she's a newbie. Flaw forgiven then!

ypyY1.png
SvGQi.png
WfKQG.png
2BEOR.png

More gossip is always good, but there are some people in the castle that are seriosly concerned about Cecil. He must be a really nice person, or they're simply being respectful because he's The King's lapdog. NPC dialogue has its limits, so I'll never know.

4HjFG.png
HaSBu.png

This is a beautiful tutorial about using switchs in RPGs. Pretty interesting, huh? I also love me some spoils, so I'm not going to complain about it.

dbptK.png
oyGUC.png
vqegC.png

What I've just got must be the equivalent to fifty payments in this kingdom, I'm rich!

C0f4T.png
Z0k5A.png

Not all the switches in this castle can be activated and the treasures behind this door are off limits. I'll get them later, I swear!

cQDfo.png
r71Pr.png
mG8bd.png

Fleetmaster Cid must be some kind of ogre, but seeing how The King and the Captain are, I'm somehow not surprised. This castle has more people guarding things. My RPG senses are tingling, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get them later.

asmFt.png
sIoDL.png
uBNq3.png
O6Y0E.png

Let's meet Rosa, the incompetent White Mage according to some companions. She's pretty late to the news about the success of Cecil's evil operation. I mean, how many nameless NPCs already knew it? At least she isn't the typical gossiping neighbor.

YnB4Q.png
jrgCC.png
HqqGz.png

I've always found that "Of course" funny, it's like he knows he has she eating out of the palm of his hand. That's what happens when you find a girlfriend with the personality of a brick.

8CMpM.png
xnSIi.png
pRZXd.png
Qyhm2.png

Cecil goes to the prison in his way to the tower to see some old friends of him, the Mysidians. The bars must have some magic repelling atributes if the guard tells Cecil that is safe to talk to some Toad casting mages behind them. The mages remind us about the supposed importance of the crystals, but it would be more useful to know exactly what they do, but no one is going to spill the beans yet.

XGPwn.png
3WGRs.png

Uh, oh, it's Cid the "ogre", I have a bad feeling about this man, like if he is going to scold Cecil.

jmog8.png
Jegw2.png
70IZJ.png

Of course he was. It's not Cecil's fault that Rosa was worried, she knew what she was getting into when she became the girlfriend of a soldier. You know, they do dangerous things. And about the airships, it wasn't Cecil's fault either that some monsters appeared. Sheeeeesh, Cecil is stupid, but even him isn't the culprit of everything that is wrong in the world.

nAN2Q.png
9HnUc.png
vPx9h.png
csVw4.png

Cecil tries the old trick of making Cid feel sorry for him so he stops the scolding and it's super effective!

LI66M.png
rxVNt.png
Qem8T.png
IQHgu.png

And the talk shifts again to the new hot theme: The King. The rumors are spreading fast and now (almost) everyone in the country knows that he has gone bananas. But unfortunately, no one can stop him because, you know, well, he's The King and that means that he's the top dog and no one can question him, or the poor person that dares to do that would end pretty badly. "Great God! This is an awful place", as a certain Captain would say, only that this place is full of evil kings instead of snow and a cold temperature.

iGhTJ.png
V5MH2.png

Of course you don't need to worry about Cecil, he may be dumb as fuck, but he's also pretty lucky too. Thanks to the last bit of chatter now I know that Cid isn't the culprit of the horrible schedule the poor engineers have to endure, damned King! Is there something in this kingdom that isn't The King's fault? Maybe Cecil's lack of intellect? I could find a way to relate that to The King too, but my head is busy enough trying to finish this update, so tough luck.

DdkVJ.png
7987X.png
q9XWS.png
xF7qs.png

Yeah, no one is happy with the recent turn of events, but Cecil is the only one that has told The King about it. Maybe he's braver than I thought... No, he's just careless.

ebbqC.png
07Prs.png
hxjzk.png
QLHBI.png

Uh, there's a bunny in the first floor of Cecil's tower. He tells the story about how the evil dubbing has been horrible for his business. Cecil is a good man in the deeper depths of his heart and he's going to help.

3MTXKFX.gif
Let's see... Nananananananananananananananana

04vjy.png

BATMA!!!!!!!!!

What, a 5 letters limit???!!!!!! And he wonders why people don't want his services anymore. Such incompetence! Let's see if I can get around it...

Ur3Y9.png

This isn't good, but it'll get the job done.

Ixq9h.png
KXX8F.png
iKslD.png
kxCMB.png

There aren't enough facepalms to describe how I feel at this moment, he can't do even that. I thought I wouldn't see the day where someone is even more useless than Cecil, but here we have him. Farewell, you little...

T3eEE.png
wmiyc.png

This is the second time I find the word morrow, and I have to confess that I'm not used to see it at all. Time to sleep, or to do some naughty things, because Rosa said she would come tonight. Tonight is the night!

hGabt.png
juhu7.png
evOdK.png
IvFNL.png
OUNZ2.png

Cecil thinks more about The King than about his hot girlfriend. Priorities, how do they work? Really, Cecil is like a scratched disk.

ZuSlX.png

Uhuh, a creeper. Who could this person be?

LDfuI.png
nt7Kd.png
pKQs0.png
YZYqj.png

TIzmP.gif
Theme of Love

Oh, it's Rosa, and she seems as oblivious as always. Hello? Everyone and their mother knows what happened! Are you really that dense to not know what happened already?

Xvp6F.png
bSdc4.png
f5lhE.png
XPnUf.png

*Melodrama*

na54z.png
3VOIG.png
fyzpq.png
spFxC.png

*More melodrama*

NcnJu.png
BDI7s.png
CusRO.png
uMnPa.png

*Even more melodrama*

sXCJl.png
fDMwo.png
kzUVX.png
Ycu2v.png

Love is in the air ♫ *Pukes*

Really, I can't stand these two lovers, there's more sexual tension between The King and Baigan than these two.

vMbal.png
cLJj7.png
QmME2.png

Begone, Rosa, I had enough of your bullshit. I must confess that when I play this game normally I don't realize how of a bore is this conversation. Honestly, trying to analyze a bunch of screenshots has made me realize how many times do these characters repeat the same thing again, and again, and again.

s5cIG.png
bTSIT.png
hQzQs.png
k9pLw.png

Well, time to go then. Remember the bit about the sexual tension? (it was the last paragraph, I hope so) Cecil and Kain have more of that too. Actually, everyone has! Even the rabbit with one of the soldiers.

YOagX.png
vDePg.png
ePjUb.png
CAJgx.png

TIzmP.gif
Prologue

Do you feel all the testosterone in the air? That's what happens when such manly men are in the same room.

jzNNK.png
BuoRb.png
fKKW3.png
G7bQH.png

This scene is really good, that's what happens when these characters stop talking, that everything's better. I was getting really tired of all the chatter and this is really welcome after cringing while Rosa and Cecil were in that insufferable loop.

RvmDR.png
spdez.png

I don't know how is Cecil going to seek redemption following even more suspicious orders, but Cecil's mind is mysterious and it's impossible to know how it works. Not even Lightning could know that, and she's the most clever person in the world.

cqd5C.png
WcVYy.png
x6IQi.png
pun6t.png

So many questions and so few answers, I hope this game answers all of them or I'll be pretty angry.

PrwRoZA.png

This is what the bottom screen was showing when that wall of text appeared. Beautiful.

pguxYdV.png

And at the end of the update, the clock marks 32 minutes. I swear this update took muuuuuuch longer than that to be made. I feel I could play several playthroughs of Dragon Quest VII in the time I take doing all these updates, hahaha.

TIzmP.gif
Persona 4 - Period

Did I level up?

Statistics

Hot topics chart (The narrator doesn't count)

Code:
-----------------------------------
| Topic                     | #   |
| Baron's situation         |   2 |
| Cecil                     |   2 |
| Cid                       |   2 |
| Crystals                  |   4 |
| Eidolons                  |   1 |
| Magic                     |   3 |
| Mist                      |   3 |
| Monsters                  |   1 |
| Mysidia                   |   2 |
| Red Wings                 |   2 |
| Rosa                      |   2 |
| The King                  |   9 |
| Treasures                 |   2 |

Baron's castle hot topic is The King!

Dly6GVG.gif

Congratulations!

I think I'll update tomorrow with more statistics like population and all that.

Aeana

Could you link me to it? I think I could actually use the font hack this time, as the US and EUR roms are the same.

I don't really know the best way to make a patch, since IPS can only address 16MB files. I can give you the modified font files, and a program that lets you open a ROM and replace files. Replacing the files is quick and easy that way.

Heropon

I don't really know the best way to make a patch, since IPS can only address 16MB files. I can give you the modified font files, and a program that lets you open a ROM and replace files. Replacing the files is quick and easy that way.

Ok, thanks for the help against the evil portable FF font. I don't hate it, but I'm certainly bored of it at this point.

DasMarcos

Banned
Alright guys, looks like I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

This weekend I'm going to start FF1 (never played it before) and will post impressions after completing it. Exciting!

After seeing all these gigantic posts, I think I owe it to the celebration of this series to pitch in and play something. I have about half of the FF saga waiting for me in the PS3, and I think I'll start one or two of them this weekend. Any suggestions? (the choices are FFI, II, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, and Tactics in it) I'm kinda leaning towards Tactics right now, since I'm just coming off Fire Emblem Awakening, but VI is one of my all time favorite rpgs so maybe I'll start with that.

Edit: This isn't a first playthrough for any of these btw, it's just been a while.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, someone who actually really likes FF6/knows it like the back of their hand should probably do a playthrough of it.

I think my FF6 updates have been lacking and sitting around for a while because I'm really struggling to come up with jokes and content for it (and instead it reads like a FAQ half the time). Also because I've been way busier this semester than I was last semester.

I'll post the next entry today because I'm close to finishing it, but you'll see what I mean when I post it. It's very unfunny and I genuinely dislike how this playthrough's going. It's partially because I haven't played FF6 as much as a lot of people on GAF have so I feel like I'm trying to overcompensate by coming up with content for it, and it's also because I think... I'm a little burned out.

Aeana

I wish I would have had time to do actual updates when I played through FF6. I just couldn't manage it at the time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wish I would have had time to do actual updates when I played through FF6. I just couldn't manage it at the time.
Are you planning to ever return to your FF7 playthrough, or do you not feel like it? I mean... if I played through the entire series, I'd probably be burned out after finishing FF5.

I only played through two games. I can't imagine going through the entire series anymore.

Aeana

I have no time to play FF7 any time soon. I'm still in the middle of DQ7 3DS, and I have Fire Emblem lined up, and then EO4 will come and lots of other stuff. I'm growing accustomed to having a backlog for the first time. It's kinda weird!

I'm not that torn up about not making it this time, because I played through the entire series in a row 3 times since 2006, and played several of the individual games even more times for individual playthrough threads besides, especially FF5 and 7.

Heropon

The new font works very well, thanks Aeana!

Yeah, someone who actually really likes FF6/knows it like the back of their hand should probably do a playthrough of it.

I think my FF6 updates have been lacking and sitting around for a while because I'm really struggling to come up with jokes and content for it (and instead it reads like a FAQ half the time). Also because I've been way busier this semester than I was last semester.

I'll post the next entry today because I'm close to finishing it, but you'll see what I mean when I post it. It's very unfunny and I genuinely dislike how this playthrough's going. It's partially because I haven't played FF6 as much as a lot of people on GAF have so I feel like I'm trying to overcompensate by coming up with content for it, and it's also because I think... I'm a little burned out.

FFIV has something about it that makes doing jokes pretty easy, so don't feel pressure if you're having difficulties with FFVI. I have faith in you!

Because of the recent SE PSN sale I was able to pick up a few new FF games. I've played FF I + II on the GBA in the past, played FF III on the DS. Now I'm making my way through FF IV The Complete Edition. I was making some progress in FF IX, but stopped right after Garnet and Zidane are attempting to regain her ability to use summons. Once I've completed FF IV, I will play what seems to be the golden child of all the FF games; FF VI.

I have no time to play FF7 any time soon. I'm still in the middle of DQ7 3DS, and I have Fire Emblem lined up, and then EO4 will come and lots of other stuff. I'm growing accustomed to having a backlog for the first time. It's kinda weird!

I'm not that torn up about not making it this time, because I played through the entire series in a row 3 times since 2006, and played several of the individual games even more times for individual playthrough threads besides, especially FF5 and 7.

You imported the DQ7 remake? I've been dying for a localization of that, how is it? And you're in for a treat with Fire Emblem, one of the best rpgs I've played in a while.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last time, creepy old men stared at Terra, and Terra continued to say nothing of value as usual. Today, we really are going to steal things since we’re controlling an actual thief. Speaking of which…

rjbmb.gif
Locke’s Theme

zvPxhT5.png

I’m incredibly tempted to leave it this way because it seems like the most obvious joke to make. For those of you who don’t play Zelda, I’m referring to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1wAGpbRAE

5Nd4uc3.png
4sxxapR.png
VFKJKbG.png

He’s supposed to be wagging his finger at us, like so:
locke20-20finger2br5b.gif
. I should’ve named him “Sonic”.

AQy5vL3.png

So they meet up to discuss blind dates? No wonder he couldn’t stop staring at us, he locked us in the house… and… oh man, you don’t want to know the several places my mind went.

aYGAeJa.png

Beggars can’t be choosers. This is why you’re still single.

Cf5YAMa.png
j6u7xdc.png
5eoimpp.png
r604pBp.png

It’s like I’m reading a Star Wars novelization. The Empire is the Empire. The Returners are basically the Rebel Alliance.

In this case, the story somewhat seems mildly interesting. The rebels going up against the Empire who has far more manpower and resources than they ever will. (Well, we’ll see that the resistance actually has some manpower and resources, so it’s not wholly the David vs Goliath affair that I’d like it to be.)

dbgMEy1.png

I just realized something. It wasn’t until a little later in the game (we’ll get to this part later, but I feel like I should discuss this now) that the game truly felt as though a large empire seized control over the entire world, but that was only for a small arc in the game. This is something I’d much rather have, though. I’d said above that I prefer something on a macro scale overall as opposed to a micro scale that FF6 kind of does. I think it tries to handle the macro and micro simultaneously, but I feel like it doesn’t do it well, or there’s some sort of disconnect that doesn’t allow the player to enjoy the bigger arc and the character arcs in conjunction with each other. I think the reason behind that is because there isn’t conclusively one single character that I can use to tie both the micro and macro aspects of the narrative together.

If I do finish this playthrough or get far enough into it to discuss why I really dislike Terra’s arc in general, I will. But I think the best character to tie the entire game together is truly Celes. Someone who was raised in the Empire, who worked in the Empire, learned about how shitty the Empire can be, joining up with the Returners and rebelling against them, having her lowest point in the game and then learning from it, and then journeying about to complete herself, her team, and her world again. Terra… I think she’s a decent bystander/sidekick character, but I don’t think she’s necessarily a good character to wrap a narrative around. When I think about the narrative in conjunction with Terra’s story, it’s just kind of weird. It somewhat works for a fraction of the game’s narrative, but not necessarily the entirety of it (especially since her character arc seems to stop after a certain point).

While they’re discussing politics for a bit here, it sets up something incredibly interesting and Suikoden-esque. Despite the fact that I’d given FF6 its fair chance in the early/mid-2000s, I ended up comparing it a little bit to Suikoden just based on this dialogue alone. And boy was I disappointed with what I ended up getting by the time I beat the game. I was hoping that the game would throw more political intrigue into the mix, but that aspect of the game took a complete backseat to the mysticality of the game’s universe. That’s something I find deeply disappointing. Something like that was probably handled a little better in FF7’s universe, when they combined mystical sources with political power and the scenario ended up being very interesting until it became all about Sephiroth. In FF6, the politics were used as a method to get to the mystical stuff, and they were barely ever mentioned again.

So why is Terra important? She’s supposed to be like the Runebearer of FF6: she’s special and they want to use her as a pawn in their scheme (and these pawns tend to be either willing or unwilling, or they kinda know what’s going on as opposed to just being there for higher morale). And to a point, she ends up taking that role, but for some reason, it ends up being dropped in favour of making Celes the main highlight of the second half. The switch from Terra to Celes in this respect isn’t handled very well. Highlighting Celes was something that started from her introduction and more explicitly during the Opera Scene. Terra kind of fades from the limelight overall around Zozo, and then she pops back in a few times, only to be somewhat dumped to “having 1 character arc” status during the second half of the game. At least with Celes, it’s kind of seamless, though it starts relatively late.

So… the short version of it is that I don’t like how FF6 handles its overarching plot in relation to its subarcs or the character arcs very much. Some of it feels relatively detached, and in turn, I feel a little disappointed with the narrative. For all this talk about an Empire and having a rebel group, it ends up being rather insignificant in the grand scheme of all things with respect to politics.

haTbLUT.png

How the hell is he going to waltz right up to the King of some country where people sing a lot and talk to him as if they’re buddies if he’s a damned thief?

lFg6d3X.png

I have no clue how he found her. He just did because reasons (because they were lazy and didn’t want you to waltz through the cave yet again). I dunno why he didn’t bother taking the exit near that hole because it just leads down here anyway.

I guess he just wants to be cool.

ADNqkMG.png
ZHLhnLN.png

Better question: how did he find her faster than these goons did? Guess they needed to find a way to bring their huge mammoths with them.

BVGNAzB.png
DqJg4f1.png

Oh, hey! It’s that thing on game box. Except there are two of them.

qweuIxM.png

Ah, so this is supposed to be Final Fantasy VI’s mascot character. Even though Moogles were introduced in Final Fantasy III. The real Final Fantasy III. ‘cept this is the first time NA saw them (I guess the Moogle spot was given to the Namingways/Hummingways in FF4).

They also like to say…

9Cy7L1j.png

… a lot. This quality ended up making them incredibly endearing to fans, and I truly think moogles hit their height in Final Fantasy IX because stuff like this happened.

Then we got FF13-2 and I started to genuinely dislike the little things. That damn fatheaded thing with a nasaly voice and all I really want to do is throw it off a damn cliff and destroy it because it treats “kupo” as if it were a lexical quirk rather than onomatopoeia. What the heck were they thinking there? It’s annoying.

eN6apKL.png

And they didn’t say “kupo!” at the end of the sentence. Thank God for that!

wIu1cR3.png

No, I’ve played this game before.

mP0yRqj.png
RNnFP2f.png
ly7s0Ux.png

This section of the game is basically a tutorial on something that Final Fantasy VI does a lot, and that’s split parties up. That means you can’t just use the same dudes over and over in the long run because there will be times when the game likes to say, “Gotcha!” and throws you into a scenario where you are forced to use everyone.

This is just a tutorial stage, so you aren’t forced to use every single party, but it’s best to position them to block every single route to Terra possible. Every Moogle team is leveled up appropriately so you don’t have to think about whether or not everyone is leveled up enough to combat every group and the boss of the dungeon.

There will be times you split up to complete puzzles across the dungeon and have your teams cooperate in order to complete the dungeon, but that comes much later.

About the moogles specifically, they fill the places for most of the main playable characters save for Locke and Mog. So they share the same slots as some of these characters. If you execute the Pass Event Glitch, you’ll have one of the moogles fill Celes’s spot instead because they share the same slots.

X6Kkvo1.png
R6MaZ5T.png
Xkh4vI2.png

But there’s an interesting thing going on with one of the moogles. We can swap his equipment and go into his status menu. For some reason. I don’t know why I am able to do this. They’re just letting me. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

(I really wish they didn’t allow me to go into his menu because it makes it so obvious that he’s a future recruit, but maybe it’s a programming limitation.)

LuoxveN.png

So these are the same things we fought when we were invading Narshe with Terra, Vicks, and Wedge. The thing is that they kind of nerfed the monsters a little bit and coded parts of these monsters’ scripts to make it easier on us when we first started the game. Now that we have party members that are stronger than the initial party member set, all of these monsters’ skills are unlocked (so basically they can use their entire script because they are no longer limited by the levels your party have) and they can go to town on you if you’re not careful.

The Vomammoths are a good example of this: they cannot cast Blizzard if people in your party are under Level 5. Considering almost everyone is now level 5 and up, they can finally cast it on its first turn (that’s the first check the script actually does). On its second turn it can decide based on percentages what it does (attack, Bear Claw, nothing). They can only cast Blizzard once since they don’t have enough MP for a second cast.

I guess Lobos are another good example of this. So, we’re now greater than Level 7, which means they can use another attack they weren’t able to before: Tusk. They won’t always use it, though, because it’s a probability sorta thing in their script.

6wsjPhq.png

Because Mog fought in a cave, he learns Dusk Requiem. No, I don’t know why “requiem” is spelled wrong. I’d love to go further into what Mog’s abilities are, but we have some battles to fight. Let’s get rid of the leader!

jTKS8NR.png
yKqO0cT.png
GWQ2HwF.png

rjbmb.gif
The Decisive Battle

The Marshal is accompanied by his guard dogs because he wants to take a BITE out of crime and run for superior court judge. What he should’ve done was just have his nephew make a commercial for him.

Depending on how much the game likes you, bringing Locke into this fight may or may not be beneficial, and that’s because you have the ability to steal a Mithril Knife from the Marshal. It could be difficult, and if the game doesn’t seem to like you, you could bring Mog’s party in instead and use Dusk Requiem to potentially kill the Marshal in one hit with one of its attacks.

But I’m successful with stealing the Knife from the enemy anyway, so it doesn’t matter if I use Mog or not. If you do die with a party while fighting the Marshal, that party will just be revived with 1 HP per character so you could just heal them and go again. You can also try to steal multiple Mithril Knives this way as well.

So, the Marshal has two Lobos accompanying him. At this point he’ll use Net, which casts Stop on people (this is when people glow pink). If you kill both Lobos, he’ll start using Charge (2/3s of the time) which really hurts. It’s thus best to kill one Lobo, keep one alive, Steal until successful, kill the Marshal, and then kill the last Lobo.

heqq0Vx.png

I can assure you that since we can go into Mog’s menu, we’ll meet him again someday. And with that, we run away like hell.

rjbmb.gif
The Mines of Narshe

gPI3Acs.png
xN3p92M.png

You know, if it weren’t for the monsters, I think Narshe could hide their townspeople in here if they truly wanted to. They’d seem to get along well with the moogles if they’re nice, and the hidden door here would prevent the Empire from seeing where they are if they don’t comb through the mines/if they destroy that long bridge.

oYsGSxy.png
YQBxau7.png

Locke’s so totally not into her.

S3g3mST.png
cY4Jo6K.png
qFyCDgY.png

So many ellipses. The script was actually rather passable before this.

6KN9TKQ.png
jclQAe8.png

No, wait! Stop. Don’t do this. She’s going to be even more creeped out and confused if you just appoint yourself as her White Knight out of nowhere, especially since she just met you, and you’re clearly not into her and you’re just doing this out of obligation.

Stop lying to yourself just because you’re hopelessly single.

5QzLDgH.png

She just said she can’t remember anything and you expect her to remember this?

This game doesn’t know what subtlety is.

7eLQmom.png

Remember where this is, GAF. We’ll be coming back here very soon.

0Ou7Cov.png

I would go over most of the stuff they say in the Beginner’s lodge, but truly, it’s best to show you guys as I play the game rather than stand there and narrate tutorials. Because reading that kind of stuff certainly isn’t fun, is it?

wPVewDQ.png

Lies and slander!

Fx1cS5y.png

How does a monster fit in a box? This is a concept I have never ever understood. I know the answer is “video games”, but some of these monsters can be gigantic and some of these treasure chests can be the smallest things ever.

xWcfoa9.png

Boring.

Well, nothing cool’s happening right now, so let’s go back into town just for giggles.

mp2mly3.png
G6p0yHU.png

Never mind.

0uKlw4q.png

Figaro?

Next Time: Son of a Submariner! There’s SAND on my boots!

Actually, I don’t even know if there’s going to be a next time based on how poorly thought-out the last few entries have been. Plus I’m doing the 4 in Feb thing like everyone else. Two down, two to go!

FFIV has something about it that makes doing jokes pretty easy, so don't feel pressure if you're having difficulties with FFVI. I have faith in you!
Well, the jokes in Mystic Quest and FF4 at least came to my mind in a fluid manner. FFVI's jokes... mehhh... They feel incredibly forced. I could come up with better material for FF7 or FF8 because they're visibly absurd in some respect.

A lot of my hesitation comes from having played FF6 after almost every other FF in the series, don't forget.

Heropon

The last time, Cecil was doing a poll in Baron Castle to know the opinion on the recent events, then he escaped with his lover Kain.

ldTkkVQ.png

TIzmP.gif
Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV

I had to use the new font as soon as possible and here it is, but I had to restart the game thanks to the save being after the Antlion's Den, but now I can compare how much time does talking with all the NPCs in the castle waste. 26 minutes of difference!

34Ltk2P.png
fTRqm6C.png

The thought bubbles give us more insight in the characterization of Cecil and Kain. While the first is thinking about the same thing as always, we can see how Kain has his eyes upon the mission. Have I said already how repetitive is Cecil? That's a problem because thanks to that I'm becoming repetitive too complaining and I don't want to do that, maybe I should ignore him from now on.

8pt4fGD.png
URxoWgr.png
6Z0NNcP.png

Forests usually have higher encounter rates, so let's see what awaits us there. These little birds are the Cockatrices and as the first random encounters they cast Stone already. Luckily for our characters, that's timed and they kill them before something horrible happens.

I better go to the town next to hear more interesting things and buy some medicines.

vxo0gTU.png
c6AuCf5.png
vVPMQ49.png

TIzmP.gif
Welcome to our Town!

If for some reason I didn't already know where I had to go, this friendly villager tells us where is the famous Mist Cave. I like how some people compare the NPCs in a RPG to an ingame guide as that's a pretty accurate description of what many of them do.

I wonder if the woman in the item shop is a vendor's relative or if she's paid to do some marketing work. It definitely works as I buy some eye drops. Having two physical characters with the accuracy nerfed isn't good at all.

L6trpWI.png
aRjchYr.png

Being a Dark Knight is definitely not a good thing, it seems. I thought that it only gave a cool armor and a nice sacrificial attack, but this game insists in giving it a deeper meaning. Meanwhile, the locked doors appear again. In a RPG that absolutely means that you'll be able to open it later. If they didn't want a door to be used, there wouldn't be one in the first place.

wGyaXxj.png
f5tQPLl.png
WF3oYoj.png
nxJncgc.png

This conversation with Cid's daughter continues the "storyline" of the overworking engineers. The King is always in the people's mouths, he's really popular, but for the bad reasons.

iTp6cTg.png

Oh, Cid, you can't imagine that sleeping is something that you're going to do too much in this playthrough. What's finished? The Enterprise?

EugoIbk.png
ZCUAft1.png
HUd42Tv.png

Uhhhh, the relations between Mysidia and Baron haven't been good for a while. The crystal theft wasn't a surprise attack then as I thought. Cecil obviously doesn't need more explanations about this game's systems (I don't need them either).

RfyVn95.png
OPTtrYz.png

Cecil doesn't trust the guard's words and wants to try himself if the Devil's Road works... Of course not, you silly Cecil. :p

XI9OrQB.png
1s2Cb1H.png
nIkY6wl.png

The curiosity kills me and I have to enter the Noob's Room. Using Y to pass the turn was first seen in FFVI and now it returns to add a layer of depth to the bland FFIV's battle/growth system. I don't know why there's a person talking about save points when there's a tutorial later. It's a mystery, like many things in this game.

iuKZj9h.png
fzuXODp.png
AeoZwUn.png
rA3S44S.png

The little girl has caught Cecil. Yes, he's a bad man as we can see him stealing a potion hidden in a jar. Now I'm pretty sad I didn't try to call him THIEF instead of Batman. We can see also the inflated cost of the inn. 50 gil? That's like three salaries. I suppose that Baron soldiers must resort to kill imps to get some money. All of this is reminding me of the hidden monster economy of FFIX. The imps could actually be clients of the human shops thanks to all the shiny money they have with them. Really, the economy of this world is fucked up, but I won't complain as I can get rich without working, like in Pokémon.

QHsAO2F.png
DB3dP9D.png
FDCL6Od.png
AzxqstY.png

Cecil is really interested in seeing some of the typical dances of Baron, I hope he finds the local dancer soon. He also instills fear in the people and uses his influences to not pay for the alcohol. I wonder if Lightning used her authority powers to get some booze too.

K6rLaYF.png
416E1V9.png
qekX2xA.png
1EgDv52.png

Cecil keeps stealing some treasure from his fellow citizens, like even more tents and eye drops. I really appreciate all those gifts, but they start to everwhelm me. ;)

g3ADb7Q.png
mrxOQq1.png
qpMharf.png
1X2xLsL.png

Remember how Rosa didn't want to find out what was happening around her? Her mother knows even more without sneaking in the castle. Rosa's (lack of) intelligence must come from her father, of maybe she's adopted, OR Cecil spread his stupidity by being near her for a prolonged time. The fourth screenshot shows his lack of brains, he's sooo stupid I wouldn't be surprised he infects people with idiotitis.

hVR0TOX.png
Ey5vGyf.png

More NPCs weary of the Dark Knight uniform, but it's a really cool outfit. Those reactions are exaggerated. Oh, the armor/weapon shop has been closed, I wonder why. It seems that I'll have to use the initial equipment for the next dungeon at least. Tough luck.

ThPJghd.png
mdEgZCF.png

Yeah, Cecil will forget everything if you show him your moves. Hey, Cecil, maybe I should rescue that paragraph that I wrote about cheating on women, you wouldn't want to see Rosa angry, remember that she will be able to cast Mini.

YQ6c8G3.png
1t89LVf.png
TGfBGSS.png
TGfBGSS.png

Definitely, Cecil doesn't care about the consequences. Enjoy your height while you can!

O8R0EsH.png
mGd47no.png
kic5Wo6.png
fdyYwjK.png

Cecil can use this "waterfall" to reach the river and get another item. It seems that this thing casts slow on enemies, so it'll be useful in this game because every enemy is susceptible to that in this game, especially bosses. Cecil can also use his floating powers to climb the "waterfall", wondrous.

Hey, this woman tells what's behind one of the locked doors and it sounds like a dungeon, so we will definitely come back someday. Time to leave this town full of suckers!

2QPZBaE.png
cshQntZ.png

I want to return to the castle because... I... miss the bunny, yes, but these clone guards won't let me pass. I'm going to destroy you when I become king of this filthy kingdom.

93HH4I9.png
I07YuTX.png
uCoJR9z.png
VENpHcE.png

TIzmP.gif
Chocobo Forest

West of Baron is this extremely suspicious circular forest, and that's where the Chocobo Forest is. We can find the valuable white chocobo in there, which isn't really useful right now thanks to me controlling only a pair of brutes. The yellow chocobo was the one I wanted this time.

XYXGGI7.png
GTAZ7T0.png

The yellow chocobo is really nice, as I don't need to use the bridges and risk encountering GILGAMESH (Don't worry, he doesn't appear in this game. I'm pretty sure that one person in this forum doesn't enjoy this). And thanks to our big chicken, Cecil and Kain find the Mist Cave without being attacked by imps and floating eyeballs.

Next time: The Cave.

TIzmP.gif
Persona 4 - Period

Statistics

Hot topics chart

Code:
-----------------------------------------
| Topic                     | #   | +   |
| The Army                  |   1 |   1 |
| Baron Castle              |   1 |   1 |
| Baron's situation         |   2 |     |
| Cecil                     |   4 |   2 |
| Chocobo                   |   1 |   1 |
| Cid                       |   3 |   1 |
| Crystals                  |   4 |     |
| Dancers                   |   1 |   1 |
| Darkness (sword, knight)  |   3 |   3 |
| Eidolons                  |   1 |     |
| Enterprise                |   1 |   1 |
| Game Systems              |   4 |   4 |
| Items                     |   1 |   1 |
| Magic                     |   3 |     |
| Mist                      |   6 |   3 |
| Monsters                  |   1 |     |
| Mysidia                   |   3 |   1 |
| Old Waterway              |   1 |   1 |
| Red Wings                 |   3 |   1 |
| Rosa                      |   3 |   1 |
| Save Point                |   1 |   1 |
| The King                  |  14 |   5 |
| Treasures                 |   2 |     |

And the winner of this chapter and the overall classification is...

Dly6GVG.gif

The King!

...But he could never be as popular as Beyoncé.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade

This is a dumb game and I didn't find it very fun. There isn't even any sound, let alone music! I'm not going to be playing this again anytime soon. Pretty disappointing, but at least it cost me nothing. Still, I was hoping for more from the one game to have Theatrhythm style Ace appear. I think I went up levels? But maybe it was a tutorial? I don't know. The game keeps booting me out. It's kind of buggy.

Final Fantasy Dimensions

Got me Ramuh! Way easier to do than Titan. It was also good to know I could make use of Rifts to go back to previous Chapter regions. This Chapter is The Bard (as opposed to The Dragoon and The Ranger, which were our previous chapters, about Barbara the illiterate Dragoon, and Gramps the only old Elf in the world) and The Bard is of course named Edward . . . o. Eduardo is obviously in love with some Mermaid and we'll see them come to a tragic end because basically if you're an NPC in this game
you're going to die
, and well, Bards never have happy endings in FF. Not Edward, and not Lenne.

Final Fantasy Adventure

Finished the game. I forgot that you get the Xcalbur like, four screens prior to the end. Still, Final Fantasy Adventure is an amazing game and I would highly recommend it to anyone who can get their hands on it. It's a different, but similar experience to Sword of Mana. It's fun, fast paced, not too hard, and a great introduction to the once-proud Mana series. It's so good I am, honestly, playing the rest of the series on the side now. I've actually been slowly working through SD3 for like, a year now (I can't remember which Godbeasts I have left, LOL.) in all three stories. Anyway, Final Fantasy Adventure is a great game with a melancholy ending. I miss the Mana series so bad when I play its glorious past.
So here are Sumo's final stats (Sumo was the boy's name in the manual, and Fuji was the girl.)
Sumo:LVL45, 230HP/48MP, AP131, DP105, Stamn46, Power46,Wisdm46,Will 46

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm

I played this game for two hours today. Guess how many Black Shards I got! ONE. AT THE START. RNG IS THE DEVIL.

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection: The After Years: The official game of the movie

So now we're part way through Kain's quest. It's . . . odd. Mostly because as my love of Cecil grows my pity for Kain has kind of dropped off. Don't get me wrong, he's a cool guy, but between King Sexcil and MY SPACESHIP IS A MOON AND I AM DARTH VADER WITH A DRAGON AND GUNDAM Golbez, there's not really much about Kain that appeals to me anymore. Like Edge, Kain spends 17 years unable to find a woman interested in him. He's just . . . depressing. Anyway, the weird thing about Kain's Tale is that when last we saw Edward
he was about to get pulled under by Leviathan, king of the nautical dicks.
and when last we saw Rosa, she was
fleeing Baron Castle with Cid
but now instead
they're both in Damcyan, waiting for Kain.
This is another problem I have with this game. The PSP version is good, because it breaks up Ceodore and Kain's Tale, so that we don't know several key plot points, but the problem with the game's layout is actually still in Ceodore's Tale. Because you find out that Baron falls early on, you know, more or less at point one, that whatever is happening isn't Cecil's doing. If the game had kept us in the dark and had us as lost as to Cecil's actions as the cast was, the story could've been a bit more than just "HEY LET'S PLAY THE UNDERGROUND WATERWAY SIX TIMES." Of course, as we all know, the two biggest problems FF4's story suffers from overall are 1)Death being a slap on the wrist, and 2)Anybody evil invariably being controlled by someone higher up. IVDS rectifies this a bit by allowing Golbez to say "Uh, no, Cecil, I was evil on my own." But the PSP version of IV leaves those scenes, and good lines, out.

So I finished Kain's Tale, and a couple of remaining notes: Not only do I have to hike through the freaking Underground Waterway UGHAIN, but now I have to fight the Octomammoth, UGHain. And how does Ceodore know to expect
Rosa there, when last he saw her she was home in Baron
?

Ultratech

Last time on Final Fantasy III, the Party obtained their last and final member (not to mention most awesome). Also, some loot, treasure, and lots of talking, etc. Nothing terribly exciting.

So before I dive into the first real dungeon, it's time for mechanics!

Let's Play Final Fantasy III - Addendum - Game Mechanics (Or how does this shit work?)

pic_010079qo7.png

So how does FFIII work?

First off, each character has their own individual Level and Experience to keep track of.
It's pretty similar to FFVI in that the only real stat that changes upon level up is HP. Every other stat is static depending on the job, so the only thing you have to worry about min/maxing (if you want) is HP.

There's also the Job Level to keep track of. Job Level determines several things, but generally Accuracy, Number of Hits, and Attack (to a certain degree). However, it also determines skill strength for each individual job's special abilities. Like for Dragoons, it helps determine the damage multiplier for Jump, and the strength of Summons for Summoners for example.

--Stats--
HP are Hit Points, or rather, your health. If it hits 0, that character is dead.

MP, or Magic Points, determines how many times you can use Magic. As mentioned earlier, MP is based off the FFI model which splits spells into 8 different levels, and a character is given X amount of spell charges per level to cast with. Lower-level magic tends to have more charges, and as a character levels up, they gain more Spell Charges and eventually unlock the higher level tiers of Magic. Not every class can use Magic, and most Jobs can only learn up to a certain level of Magic. (For instance, only 3-4 Jobs gain access to Lv8 Spells.)

STR determines Strength. Higher strength increases the power of a character's Physical Attacks.

AGI determines Agility, or speed. Higher Agility gives your character higher priority to act in battle and can give you more hits per attack. However, Agility is a bit randomized per turn, so unless a character has very high agility like a Ninja or Thief, the turn order in battle can vary wildly (and fuck you over consistently).

VIT determines Vitality. Vitality helps determine the amount of HP gained upon level up and plays a factor into Defense.

INT determines Intellect. Higher Intellect determines Magic Attack for Black Magic & Summon spells (or rather, it plays a factor into their power. Each spell has its own base power when then factors in INT.)

MND determines Mind. Mind factors into the power of White Magic spells and plays a significant factor in determining Magic Defense.

Each major stat will max at 99. (I assume stat boosts push it above 99, but probably won't show it.) HP maxes at 9999.
----
Attack determines Physical Attack strength. Better weapons give you higher Attack, and higher Attack allows you to do more damage to enemies. This is only really relevant for Melee classes.

Defense determines Physical Defense. The higher the number, the less damage you take from Physical attacks. Most Melee classes tend to have better P.Def (due to being able to equip better armor), and Mage classes tend to lack P.Def due to lack of armor choices.

Magic Defense is what it says. The higher the number, the less damage you take from Spells and such. Melee classes tend to have low M.Def, while Mage classes tend to have higher M.Def.

===Other Stuff===

-Agility Randomness-
So as mentioned previously, Agility in battle is a bit random (re: Variable) in battle. Two units could have equal speed but one could go first one turn, and second the next. Not surprisingly, this tends to rear its ugly head in boss fights. Unless you have a class that has ridiculous speed, determining turn order is a bit of a crapshoot sometimes.

-Enemies-
Enemies tend to be real dicks. As in keeping with the game's hard difficulty, Enemies have the upper hand on you in battle. Unlike your characters, Enemies won't act until the exact moment their turn comes up in battle. Not surprisingly, this can screw you over as well, since you could have an ally fall in battle one turn, revive them the next, and have the enemy kill them again in that same turn.

-The Elements and You-
Abusing Elemental weaknesses can come in quite in handy. Dealing super effective damage results in a ~2x damage bonus. However, some enemies have Elemental Resistances that reduces Elemental damage taken. (And the game isn't really forthwilling with this information, so you're often left guessing there.)

-Attack Items-
Much like other FF games, you'll pick up plenty of Attack Items. While often as strong as the spell they're emulating, they can come quite in handy. Other items can put up Support Spells like Haste or Protect (speaking of, Protect protects from Physical AND Magical attacks in this game). Scholars have a passive ability that doubles the effect of Attack Items.

-Dual-Wielding vs. Shields-
The typical advice for anyone playing FFIII is to Dual-Wield weapons to kill stuff faster. Though that logic, Shields would seem almost useless...or are they?
Shields can offer minor Status protection and a decent boost to Defense and Magic Defense(!), making them somewhat handy for boss fights. The Aegis and Onion Shields offer total Status Immunity.
For random encounters, Dual-Wielding is totally the way to go. For bosses, Shields offer better survivability (super important for Melee classes so they don't get 3/4 of their health knocked off by a Fira or whatever).

---------------------------------------------------

==Jobs==

After the first major dungeon, Jobs will be unlocked. However, Lenin and Co. are stuck being Freelancers right now. I'll cover the Jobs as they're unlocked in the game.

--Freelancers--
Abilities: Lv1 Black/White Magic

So Freelancers are the new default class for the remakes. As far as Freelancers go, they have rather meh stats (a full 52 in every stat at Lv99), and can wield Lv1 White and Black Magic. So you could equate them to low-rent Red Mages. One plus to Freelancers is that they can equip a lot of stuff early on, making them alright for the early part of the game.

Endgame Viability
: The remakes were rebalanced in mind so most of the Jobs have some sort of viability in the Endgame (lol no). That said, Freelancers kinda suck. Lv1 Magic won't get you anywhere after a point, forcing them into a Melee role, but even then, without good equipment, other Jobs will eclipse them quickly. It's hardly the worse Job though, since it can take advantage of some interesting stat boosts from equipment later on...

===============END RANT=================

-Sealed Cave-

True to its name, it WAS sealed until the Earthquake hit and then all sorts of crazy stuff woke up. It's not a complicated dungeon at all, with few dead ends, but the enemies in here aren't messing around and are mostly undead stuff that like to Poison and/or Blind your guys.

pic_0175ojryo.png
pic_0176lwrei.png

COINS!? I don't even know how that works. Further into the cave, Zandig stumbles onto the "Skeleton Key" the King was talking about. (It was a Skull...a bit dark, no?)

pic_01771pq44.png
pic_0178vloml.png

A bit further in, Lenin stumbles onto somebody!

Oh hey, it's the Princess! Hooray!

pic_0179gbpjv.png
pic_01809mrx2.png

pic_0181rwoz5.png
pic_01822qpg9.png

The Party tries to dump her off at the Castle and take her Ring, but Sara's not having any of that mess (plus, she DID manage to get pretty far in by herself; that's a damn accomplishment in itself).

pic_0183sfrhw.png
pic_01841rqkm.png

Welp, Claire's sorta got the right idea.

pic_0185wcoqf.png
pic_0186seqqn.png

That's because Lenin is a BOSS.

pic_0187woqhw.png
pic_0188kmp29.png

So Sara joins the Party. Not as a permanent member, mind you. She just travels behind the party and you can talk to her for little tidbits and stuff. (Didn't grab any pics since it wasn't THAT interesting.)

pic_01890vru8.png
pic_0190xvpax.png

The other plus of Guests is that they occasionally cast Spells or Attack while in battle. It's often pretty nice, but it's also uncommon. Sara will occasionally cast Cure on the party or Aero on the enemy.

pic_0191m3pq0.png
pic_01928hq9w.png

After cutting through swarms of Undead and other monsters, the Party finds the cause of the curse...ZANGIEF!!! (Man, Gief got fat when he retired.) Er...I mean, the Djinn.

Unfortunately, the power of plot fails, and the Mythril Ring has no effect. Awesome.

pic_0193t7rbc.png
pic_019481onl.png

Welp, they're screwed. The power of Darkness is serious stuff.

pic_0195t5oai.png
pic_0196fdpih.png

Boss Fight: Djinn

So, the Djinn is the first actual boss fight. Bosses in the remake got the added perk of being able to attack multiple times per turn. So the Djinn here can attack two times per turn. (Other bosses later on can do up to three or even four actions per turn!)

But since it's early on, the Djinn isn't terribly hard. He'll attack or cast Fire on someone. Just as long as your guys stay healthy, they'll be fine. To end it quickly though, toss some Antarctic Winds to put him out.

Sadly, Lenin took a bullet for the team. Fire hurts apparently. :(

pic_0197hnq9k.png
pic_019872plc.png

Turns out Lenin and Co. didn't quite kill the Djinn, but weakened him enough for the power of plot to kick in and activate. Thus, the Djinn is banished. Yay.

pic_0199jzq6d.png
pic_0200wspic.png

What the hell?!

pic_020156p3c.png

The Party died....just kidding. But they did disappear...but where to?

The Djinn was their only link to the world. Since the Djinn is dead, they cease to exist. /badend

Next Time on Final Fantasy III: Reality is an Illusion

Xux

[duodecim]

Finally Firion gets another HP move. All he gets for, like, ever is Straightarrow which is awful and blockable. Pretty annoying fighting the good characters with him.

[duodecim]

Finally Firion gets another HP move. All he gets for, like, ever is Straightarrow which is awful and blockable. Pretty annoying fighting the good characters with him.

I don't know what you need straightarrow for when you have double trouble linking from an attack (reel axe) that does guard break. My main problem with Firion is his utter lack of options in the air. I think duodecim made his magic less bad, but I haven't used him much compared to the original.

Straightarrow is really bad, though.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy VIII So the reason I haven't had much to say about this game for awhile is because I'm attempting to get the Lionheart on disc 1. Is that pointless in the extreme? Yes, but it's doable and not that hard, so I'm gonna do it. Really all I need to do is 1)Get 4 Dragon Fangs from the Grendels outside Galbadia Garden, 2)Get the Adamantine from the Adamantoises on Dollet Beach, and 3)Play Triple Triad until I'm sick to my stomach so I can get 20 Elnoyle cards so I can refine them into the appropriate amount of Pulse Ammo. I did, however, get to play the 2nd Laguna segment, which is always fun. Because while Squall has half his conversations in his head, Laguna is always saying and doing hilarious things. Seriously, he should've been the game's protagonist.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (CC) Playing Golbez' Tale, which is one of my favorites because Golbez is hands down the best character in FF4, but also because the two-man team of Golbez and FuSoYa is actually a pretty competent team compared to Palom and Leonora, or Porom and her mages.

Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade This game is still dumb, but it's also fairly easy to pick up and put down, meaning I've come to play it in like, two minute bursts when waiting for people. I've reached like, level 7 (I'm a Redmage!) and cleared the first Midgar stage. I can't ever beat a high level boss because the idea is to form Brigades to do that, and I don't often have the interest in me to do that. Supposedly I can team up with FF characters, too, so I'll see if anything happens with that.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Finally unlocked Sephiroth, Seifer, and Vivi in that order. All that there is to do now is max levels and S rank songs. Which is still plenty of hours of playtime, but more or less the end of this game for awhile. All in all, its a really good game I will sink many hours into and enjoy for a long time to come.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm putting the FF6 LP on hiatus (it got to a point where other people on and off GAF started calling the playthroughs in this thread "LPs" so, I might as well...).

Sorry to everyone who was following along. I feel like I burned myself out, and I took some people's advice in that... if I feel like I'm not really into it and I feel like I'm referencing my notes a lot, I should probably take a break from it. I'm more in a Mega Man mood right now.

Plus it doesn't help that I feel like I'm busier than I was last semester. I'd rather get through some newer games in the next two months rather than replay something. Maybe in the summer I'll continue it (or just do a LL-run of FF8 or something, I dunno), but right now I just don't have the time to spare, and my disinterest and burn out with respect to the series will make the LP suffer in the long run.

CorvoSol said:
Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade This game is still dumb, but it's also fairly easy to pick up and put down, meaning I've come to play it in like, two minute bursts when waiting for people. I've reached like, level 7 (I'm a Redmage!) and cleared the first Midgar stage. I can't ever beat a high level boss because the idea is to form Brigades to do that, and I don't often have the interest in me to do that. Supposedly I can team up with FF characters, too, so I'll see if anything happens with that.
I must've missed the memo on this one, but what exactly is the point of Airborne Brigade?

Someone needs to do a playthrough of FF ATB. Just to make this thread complete.

Ultratech said:
What is she wearing?!

CorvoSol

I must've missed the memo on this one, but what exactly is the point of Airborne Brigade?

Someone needs to do a playthrough of FF ATB. Just to make this thread complete.

FFAB is a social game, free for android and iOS. In it, you take control of a non-descript one-or-the-other gender PC, pick their job class, and travel the worlds gaining levels to impress Eidolons or Espers or whatever, then team up with them and your Brigade (other humanz) and fight FF bosses alongside FF heroes. I tried and failed to fight Jenova, for instance.

The art style is essentially that of Theatrhythm, but the animation is poorer than dirt. You can pick up and put down the game at any time because all you really do is hit "advance" no matter the circumstances. You may customize your skills, though, giving it that edge on ATB. I'm told there is a pay-to-play part somewhere (perhaps with acquiring greens to feed nonyellow chocobos to get better skillz) but its nonintrusive. Think of it as FFATB without any real reason to hate it.

It's mindless, not exactly fun, but it does make for a good two minute's distraction, which is about what I use it for. I could not in good conscience compare to even the gaming experience of a match of pong or a round of Solitaire.

Heropon

Need a recommendation!

All I have left is 2, 3, 5, or 10-2. Not sure where to go.

If you're going to play all of them eventually, I recommend you 2; it isn't as bad as some people say. Only two tips, don't make your characters hit themselves and try to have high evasion.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Need a recommendation!

All I have left is 2, 3, 5, or 10-2. Not sure where to go.
Start with 3. If you play 10-2 or 5 after that, you might be a little dissatisfied with the job system implementation in it. 'Sides, 3 ain't so bad; it's a good way to introduce you to the basics of FF's job systems.

CorvoSol said:
The art style is essentially that of Theatrhythm, but the animation is poorer than dirt. You can pick up and put down the game at any time because all you really do is hit "advance" no matter the circumstances. You may customize your skills, though, giving it that edge on ATB. I'm told there is a pay-to-play part somewhere (perhaps with acquiring greens to feed nonyellow chocobos to get better skillz) but its nonintrusive. Think of it as FFATB without any real reason to hate it.
So it's like Rockman ×over?

CorvoSol

3 (Famicom, it's too bad about the DS/PSP/iOS version) is amazing. Stop talking about it like it's not. :( Stop ittt.

Why do you insist on hating good FF games? WHY?

Start with 3. If you play 10-2 or 5 after that, you might be a little dissatisfied with the job system implementation in it. 'Sides, 3 ain't so bad; it's a good way to introduce you to the basics of FF's job systems.

So it's like Rockman ×over?

I don't remember the specifics of Rockman X Over, but in FFAB, all actual gameplay happens in set-up. It's better than ATB, since you actually can customize your character quite a bit, but it's not anywhere near TAY or D in terms of emulating a real Final Fantasy game.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years: Complete Collection So I've finished Golbez' Tale, which is sad, because basically its the best part of the game. The Final Tale has one moment that makes the entire game worth it, but I'll actually be skipping it, because no matter how good the scene is, I can't, shall we say, kill Cid del Norte for the sake of Celes' suicide. It's a good scene, though, even if you get the best and not most emotional version. Because Golbez is best, he gets 2 Challenge Dungeons, one of which is the Super Dungeon under the Moai from FF4.

Final Fantasy VIII Scored Lionheart (ON DISC ON BIOTCHES!) and have now successfully broken the game over my knee. In other news, we went to Galbadia Garden, which is a squat little red building which will lead to the single coolest part of the game later, and have received our mission to go and do the coolest thing in the early part of the game. Yes, I'm heading to the moment that triggers Squall is Dead, which is one of the stupidest theories in FF Fanon. FF8 is for some reason host to all of these, or was until 13 rolled around and brought us such absolutely preposterous and insipid fanon theories as "13 is a good game." "13-2 has a good plot." "The ending to 13-2 makes sense" "Lightning is the best/only female protagonist in the series." "Snow is a good character and a good human being." But before that level of unbelievable silliness, we had to put up with "Squall is dead," which is the reigning champ, the former champ "R=U", and of course, "FF8 happens on the same planet as FF3 because of very minor similarities which are really more evidences of why they can't possibly."
And also "Seifer is a good character." He's not. QUIT LIKING HIM.

Final Fantasy Dimensions Acquired Shiva, and boy was that a chore. The ice cave functions exactly like Aquaria in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, unfreezing only when the boss is defeated, allowing access to some chests you didn't want anyway. Shiva is a summon I won't be using for awhile because this party doesn't use summons and summons are not shared between parties (nor are inventories.). I also wandered the forest of the Fey and found NO use to it at all. So now I have to climb a mountain I guess and track down Eduardo so I can hook him up with a Mermaid undoubtedly named Anna.

Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade So I guess after a week they force you along to somewhere new, as I was clearing out Midgar but have since been forced to Mist? I dunno. This game has atrocious load times and crashes rather frequently. It's a poorly programmed, poorly animated thing. It really is just something to do while I wait for class to start, but even then, the piss poor load times ruin that. Oh, and if you run out of LP, you have to wait like, a half hour to play again. WHY.

Final Fantasy VIII Scored Lionheart (ON DISC ON BIOTCHES!) and have now successfully broken the game over my knee. In other news, we went to Galbadia Garden, which is a squat little red building which will lead to the single coolest part of the game later, and have received our mission to go and do the coolest thing in the early part of the game. Yes, I'm heading to the moment that triggers Squall is Dead, which is one of the stupidest theories in FF Fanon. FF8 is for some reason host to all of these, or was until 13 rolled around and brought us such absolutely preposterous and insipid fanon theories as "13 is a good game." "13-2 has a good plot." "The ending to 13-2 makes sense" "Lightning is the best/only female protagonist in the series." "Snow is a good character and a good human being." But before that level of unbelievable silliness, we had to put up with "Squall is dead," which is the reigning champ, the former champ "R=U", and of course, "FF8 happens on the same planet as FF3 because of very minor similarities which are really more evidences of why they can't possibly."
And also "Seifer is a good character." He's not. QUIT LIKING HIM.

Don't forget
"Seifer is Cid and Edea's son because Cid has his card".

CorvoSol

Don't forget
"Seifer is Cid and Edea's son because Cid has his card".

Wow that's terribad in the highest. It doesn't help that 8 encourages this kind of thinking with its unholy
Orphanage plot
. I like FF8, but its well conceived plot probably isn't one of the reasons why.

SougoXIII

Guys... remember me? Wow, its been like weeks since I last updated. Wait, I got plenty of excuses for this: I was swapped with Uni and Ni Nu Kuni just comes out... Hey don't give me that look! Fine, fine I'll get back to the let's play.

Now where was I? Oh yeah, after the Wind Shrine. Unfortunately, we didn't go to the Fire Nation as I predicted but instead choose to crash upon a remote little town called Talu. Upon arrival, the pirates seems to think that's it's their cue to raid the tavern despite not lifting a finger in our previous fights. Lazy bastards.

IRqylV7.png

Is it just me or is the bartender seem to be way too casual after being surrounded by people who kill and rob people for a living?

uiDZ88E.png
6p4vngE.png

Have it your way then! Hello ladi- Whoa, hey shouldn't we start off slo-

wRPOlYV.png

Well that was... strangely satisfying. Well time to play the piano!

3EzGoPs.png
KHfMn6r.png

I have no freaking idea why either.

I'm surprise that FFV is full of these wacky moment. It is certainly more than I remember when compare to the previous title. It certainly give the game a certain charm to it and I can appreciate that. Even thought the story isn't really exciting at this point.

Skipping further shenanigans involving a sleeping Faris, we decided to pay an old acquaintance of Lenna who happens to have the keys we need to access the canal (However that works.) It's not that easy though since Zok refuses to give us the key on the ground that it's 'too dangerous':

WmVRVCE.png
Bmjpjsa.png

Man, These excuses are worst than mine!

Fortunately for us, one obligatory flashback later, Zok conveniently changed his mind and gave the key to Butz after staring at Lenna while she sleeps... for god knows how long:

kfOrZup.png

I'm pretty sure this is illegal somewhere.

Enough of this town! Time to pack our stuff and get the hell out of dodge. We left with haste to the canal where our monster steering vessel is trap by a giant whirlpool. Boss time!

IFBIXQz.png
ZGzRfe6.png

As anti-climatic as the rest.

All is not well though, as our resident pet monster have to sacrifice itself for our sake. After an emotional goodbye however, you are face with a new conundrum: Good news - we survived with our lives. Bad news - with Syldra gone, we have no way of moving our ship and are now at the mercy of the waves. Days have gone by without any food or water, our protagonists found themselves at the end of their ropes. Without any hope of rescue, they all meet their demise at the cruel ocean. Game Over.

WwdjcyO.png

That's a wrap folks! What a bold way to end the game. I certainly wasn't expecting that!

Wait, there's more? Urm... never mind then, our grand adventure continues! (Damn it!)

By some carefully constructed luck, we manage to drift to a ship graveyard. (Maybe we're not so lucky after all...) It was at this point that I discover that our protagonists are aliens invading us from the moon outer space. How do I know this you may ask?

BECAUSE THEY CAN BREATH UNDERWATER! That's freaking how.

Gb10B1W.png
JNkvw9S.png

Now all they need is the power of mind control and then we'll be playing another nonsensical game.

Upon reaching the shore, we are once again assaulted with a malevolent entity only this our foes have the cunning strategy to use illusions against us! One must wonder how do the heroes fall for such trap when they know for sure (in Butz's case) that the person they're seeing is either dead or not very likely to be there but I digress. Sure enough, one by one, they all fall to the foul fiend. All but the exception of one person, our very own idiotic and contrive triumph card: Galuf. You see, even if they show him the image of his love ones, it wouldn't have any effect on Galuf since he have amnesia! Man, amnesia sure is neat - I hope I can catch one myself some day!

RPLHsLv.png
uAaOzdM.png

Awkwarrrrd.

Realising that this is a certain trap, Galuf sprung to the rescue by applying a newly discovered medical treatment that will sure cure you all your illusion illness: 'The Pimp Slap'

RYsSIBz.png
2ULKeNh.png

Suitable for men and women of all ages! Pop in your local Galuf now for a free sample!

Our foes then finally revealed herself to be the alluring Siren and tempted us to battle. Well, we can't refuse a lady can we?

ZLpsBO0.png

Same old, same old, a bit of attacking there, a bit of healing here. Nothing special here *Yaw- Wait, is she transforming? Oh lord no, KILL IT WITH FIRE!

hUY2f4V.png
voAU7eY.png

Funny enough, I believe that fire would be an effective spell against this.. thing. However, you can tell from my party set up that I do not have a character of such job ( because Black mages are for the mainstream wussies) Being zombified allowed Siren to access some befuddled perks: She's more resilient to physical damage for example, making my main damage dealer - Butz- completely ineffectual. She's also hits like a truck now, keeping my White Mage - Galuf - occupied with keeping us alive instead of dishing out some hurt. Man am I in trouble. This may be the battle that will force me to use all of my wit to survive.

Nah, not really.

You may notice that my Leena is a thief. You may not notice that I basically have her stealing anything and everything within a 5 miles radius. As a result of that I have plenty of potions, Hi-potions and even elixirs in stock. Since Siren's now a zombie, healing items now have the opposite effect on her. (Not a phoenix down though, cause apparently that would be too easy) Guess who's going down?

qN692zS.png

So we manage to make the already dead Siren... deader? more dead? Leave me alone OK? It's 4 a.m and I've been writing for the last couple of hours.

I guess I should get some sleep now huh?

Next Time: I'm on a Dragon! Wheeee.

Oh yeah apparently Faris' a girl now. Did you see that coming? Cause I certainly did.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy Dimensions

We climbed Mt. Rusalka, killed a Werewolf, and now we’ve gone and picked up Eduardo, who is a toad. Most refreshing of all about Eduardo’s quest, though, is that it’s an homage to the Onrac quest from FF1. In FF1 you need to get to Onrac’s Water Temple, but when you reach Onrac, you learn the Temple has sunk to the bottom of the sea. You need Oxyale to get down there. So you go up to the spring to find the fairy who has the Oxyale, only to learn that a pirate sold her to a merchant. Cue the quest to find the merchant, who sells you the fairy, which nets you the Oxyale, which you put in your submarine, which takes you to the Undersea Temple full of Mermaids. IN THIS GAME, you need Bubbly Water to get to the Undersea Temple so you can help unite Eduardo with his mermaid love, and to get that water you go into the Forest of the Fey, where you meet a traveling merchant by a spring who has caught a fairy in a bottle. Help the merchant out of a jam, and the fairy and bubbly water are yours. I’m inside the undersea temple, looking to find Eduardo’s lady love now.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years: Complete Collection

So I’ve finished the Gathering segment of Cecil’s Tale, which is one of the more fun parts of the game, because you have 1)a decently balanced party, 2)an airship and free access to the Overworld Map, and 3)Summons for Rydia. The idea of this chapter is to get all of Rydia’s Summons (except Odin, Leviathan, Asura and Bahamut, who you get later) and rescuing all of your party members from them, thus chipping away at Maenad’s control over everything. Once you’ve collected Ifrit, Sylph, Shiva, Ramuh, Titan, Dragon, Chocobo and Palom, Porom, Leonora, Ursula, Yang, and Harley, as well as the 21 Small Tails (not the Small Tales, which are useless) for trading for better tails (I went with Rainbow and Ebony, as this is the only place to get the Rainbow Tail, and I forgot to get the Ebony Tail) and any other equipment from the world, it’s time to go see Cecil. After some lengthy cutscenes, you arrive on the True Moon (the Trunar Surface) in the Big Whale (whose theme elicited a smirk from me as Golbez announced “No, there is a way!”) with a whopping party of TWENTY TWO characters.

For the sake of making things plain to anyone, you should go with the following party for now: Ceodore, Rosa, Kain, Rydia and Golbez. Cecil is of no use for awhile, being in a serious funk, so substitute Ceodore. Be ready to trade Ceodore out for Edge at one point, because if you don’t, you’ll miss an awesome piece of gear. As there are 22 PCs, obviously some suck more than others. The best 10 are probably Cecil, Kain, Golbez, Rydia, Rosa, Palom, Ceodore, Yang, Porom and Edge. You need 15 PCs to defeat the Giant of Babil, so throw in Edward, Leonora, Cid, Luca, and Ursula. But Gekkou, Izayoi, Tsukinowa, Zangetsu, Harley, Calca and Brina are all pretty unnecessary. 4 Ninjas, a SECRETARY, and two dancers won’t be much use.

Final Fantasy VIII

Mission from bloody Hell, that was. I mean, REALLY, what else could go wrong? Quistis is an idiot and abandons the mission like, ten seconds in, gets locked in Caraway Manor. Rinoa gets captured by the Sorceress and almost eaten. IRVINE IS THE WORST SNIPER ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET, and the team leader gets speared. It's an awesome sequence, with a lot of cool fmv going on, but I'll be darned if every other paramilitary unit in the series (bar the Timber Owls and NORA) doesn't do a better job. I mean, seriously. Worst. Mission. Ever. Like, Squall gets a LOT of hate, and some of it is very much deserved, but MAN did I ever sympathize with the guy during this. He might be an arrogant, self-centered, brooding jerkass, but at least he's COMPETENT. Selphie is legit the only other person on the team who isn't a moron.

So the Sorceress as I've said before is really an underrated villain. When you lump Edea, Adel, and Ultimecia together as one being, that is. The idea of a villain who once waged war on the world, who now rules a nation, and will cause the destruction of it in the future makes her a pretty big fish, and she has more than that. She chucks Rinoa around like a rag doll, delivers the most insulting speech, looks around with utter disdain for everyone, and blocks bullets inches from her head. As a villain, she's really not half bad.

Also, I'm taking this moment to call everyone and anyone who has ever believed or purported the Squall is dead theory a mother flipping moron. Edea spears him with ice, sure, but through his RIGHT SHOULDER, and it comes out before even reaching his spine. She misses his lungs, heart, and throat by a full mile. With proper medical attention, which he somehow does promptly receive, Squall will be fine. Hell, with the icicle there, he's not even likely to bleed out. The whole would be pretty big, sure, but again, none of his vital organs are even touched, so he'll be fine.

OH AND SHE CASTS BLIZZAGA LIKE FIFTY TIMES IN THAT FIGHT AND HE SHRUGS IT OFF. I'm all for separation of story and gameplay, but the fight DID happen, and Blizzaga DOES make the idea of death by icicle that much harder to swallow.

Anyway that wraps up Disc 1. 3 to go! Really only 2, as Disc 4 is just the final dungeon.

CorvoSol

wut Irvine would've hit Edea right in the sternum if she didn't block it.

Bullet looked more like it was a headshot. But thanks for reminding me that I don't like Irvine. Which is funny, because as a sharp-shooting cowboy, he should, by rights, be the coolest guy on the team in Laguna's absence. But he's an annoying punk and I NEVER use Irvine.

More to the point though, how does this guy get assigned to the mission? The HELL is Martine thinking? By Irvine's own admission, he ALWAYS chokes up right before a mission. And stupid-ass orphanage plot twist aside, he claims its because he's busy thinking about how famous he'd be if he pulled it off.

We're talking about assassinating the person who just assassinated the PRESIDENT in FULL VIEW of the entire capital city. A woman so completely not giving a flip that she trash talks the entire country and they CHEER HER ON (Galbadians all have a dominatrix fetish. ALL.) The Sorceress is very clearly not playing around, and judging by the fact that, you know, CID KRAMER, her HUSBAND, ordered this hit, I would think that the Galbadian military (undoubtedly poised to assume control in the absence of President and Sorceress) and the Garden Headmasters would ALL be serious about this. I mean, this is THE reason Garden even exists.

But they send Irvine Kinneas, jackass extraordinaire. Irvine Kinneas, who ALWAYS freaks out on sniping missions. They send in fact, a group of untried, untested SeeDs to carry out a task of singular importance. "Beweiving in yew Skwaw!" or not, it's evident that NOBODY cares about getting this job done properly. Squall's team has done nothing but screw up and fail their missions since we left Balamb, and yet they get picked to go and do the single most important mission in the organization's history . . . why?

No wonder NORG attempts a hostile takeover later on. Cid Kramer CLEARLY doesn't have it in him to carry out this organization's prime directive.

I like this part of the game, it's super awesome, but as I said above, I really felt for Squall because honestly, his team is made up of immature, incompetent, unprofessional idiots, and Irvine takes the cake.

SougoXIII

But they send Irvine Kinneas, jackass extraordinaire. Irvine Kinneas, who ALWAYS freaks out on sniping missions. They send in fact, a group of untried, untested SeeDs to carry out a task of singular importance. "Beweiving in yew Skwaw!" or not, it's evident that NOBODY cares about getting this job done properly. Squall's team has done nothing but screw up and fail their missions since we left Balamb, and yet they get picked to go and do the single most important mission in the organization's history . . . why?

Don't you see? It's a major theme of the game: Fate, destiny and all that jazz :p. Logic have no place here.

I've recently beat FFIV: The Complete Collection, only the FFIV portion. Is it worth playing Interlude and The After Years? About how long does it take to complete each?

I'd like to start/continue FFII (psp) and possibly FFV (gba), at the same time. Followed by FFVI.

CorvoSol

Don't you see? It's a major theme of the game: Fate, destiny and all that jazz :p. Logic have no place here.

The major theme I see here is that everyone is an idiot and if she hadn't picked Seifer as her Knight I'd have rooted for the Sorceress.

I've recently beat FFIV: The Complete Collection, only the FFIV portion. Is it worth playing Interlude and The After Years? About how long does it take to complete each?

I'd like to start/continue FFII (psp) and possibly FFV (gba), at the same time. Followed by FFVI.

The Interlude is very short, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It adds next to nothing about the plot, and is overall quite meh. The After Years is a good game, despite what people will tell you. Not amazing, not great, but good. Treat it as you would FFX-2 in terms of plot: the plot is meh, but not offensive. If nothing else, some characters return and do cool things.

The major theme I see here is that everyone is an idiot and if she hadn't picked Seifer as her Knight I'd have rooted for the Sorceress.

The Interlude is very short, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It adds next to nothing about the plot, and is overall quite meh. The After Years is a good game, despite what people will tell you. Not amazing, not great, but good. Treat it as you would FFX-2 in terms of plot: the plot is meh, but not offensive. If nothing else, some characters return and do cool things.

Oh, is there no connection between Interlude and The After Years? I've played like 20 mins of Interlude and it seems like it takes place almost right after FFIV. I'm at sealed caves, and I have to deal w these damn doors again.. at level 30!! Why couldn't I have at least kept my equips

CorvoSol

Oh, is there no connection between Interlude and The After Years? I've played like 20 mins of Interlude and it seems like it takes place almost right after FFIV.

There is a connection. It talks about the birth of three characters who are important to TAY. Ceodore, Ursula, and
Maenad.

Chronologically it would go: FF4, Interlude, Earliest segments of Porom's Chapter.

There is a connection. It talks about the birth of three characters who are important to TAY. Ceodore, Ursula, and
Maenad.

Chronologically it would go: FF4, Interlude, Earliest segments of Porom's Chapter.

Hmm, this sounds interesting. I may just have to complete Interlude since it's also short, I don't mind.

Top Bottom