• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of the late Terry Jones, let's talk about his best film, Monty Pyhton's Life of Brian

GreyHorace

In case you missed it, noted comedic actor and director Terry Jones of Monty Python fame died recently.

In his honor, let's talk about his greatest film, the 2nd film feature of the Monty Python troupe, Life of Brian.

monty-pythons-life-of-brian-movie-poster.jpg

Released 40 years ago, it was at the time one of most controversial movies ever made. Many people (primarily the Moral Guardians) assumed it was a film made by the Pythons to mock Jesus Christ. It was banned in countries such as Ireland and Norway over supposed 'blasphemous' content.

If any of moral busybodies had taken time to watch the movie, they'd see that Christ does appear in the film, but he's treated with complete respect. The Pythons claimed there was nothing they could make funny with regards to Jesus, as his message was something they agreed with. Instead, Life of Brian satirizes organized religion and how it twists the mind of regular people to embrace fanaticism. It also made fun of Hollywood's reverent depiction of Judea during the time of Christ and showed it for what it really was. There's also jabs at Latin grammar, the disabled, Jews predilection for torture, etc, etc. Hell, they even made fun of transgender people 40 years ahead of the game.

Terry Jones was the director as he was with all the Python films. What's hilarious though is that he was able to insert some jokes that were actually true to history, as he was a legitimate historical scholar and knew his stuff. Things like::

- The stoning scene at the beginning is pretty accurate, as blasphemy was a legitimate reason to sentence someone to death at the time. And yes, women weren't allowed to watch stonings. No word whether they actually snuck in wearing fake beards.
- Brian's parentage being the result of his mother being raped by a Roman soldier. This is a reference to one theory by historians regarding Jesus' birth, that the early Christians used the myth of Immaculate Conception to cover up Mary's dalliance with a Roman soldier.
- The infighting between the various Jewish resistance groups is also true to history. They spent more time fighting each other rather than fighting the Romans.
- Roman leaders like Pontius Pilate and his friend Biggus Dickus having speech impediments. This wasn't just included for laughs, the Romans actually thought people with speech problems were of a higher class than most.

Let's not forget though, Jones also acted in the film and like his fellow Pythons played several parts. People of course, will forever remember him in the role of Mandy, Brian's mother, uttering the funniest line in the film:

ae5804c1416b40d1a4ba6344a79d9e58.jpg

Life of Brian has a deserved reputation of being one of the funniest films of all time. It's smart, crude, absurd and politically incorrect in the most delightful way. I love this film, and it's probably my favorite work of the Pythons. And even though we grieve at the loss of Terry Jones, let's not forget the film's final scene with it's universal message:

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Given that Brian's mother is a prostitute that seems to exclusively serve Roman clients, something Brian seems to be blissfully ignorant to the obviousness of, I always took the rape line to be lie, using Brian's irrational hatred of Romans to both shut him up about who his father was, and avoid admitting to him what she did for a living.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Great post, and yeah, it's hard to argue that it's his greatest achievement. I actually enjoy Holy Grail just as much but it's not got the teeth Brian does.

He also wrote Labyrinth which is my girlfriend's favourite movie, so he's a respected name in our house.

2 down, 4 to go.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
good stuff. i rewatched this last year. all the stuff with the underground revolutionaries is still 1000% relevant.

kind of blows my mind that Python was able to mock self made revolutionaries, and we have these 40 year old jokes that sound identical to Twitter arguments. but then again, no doubt pseudo revolutionaries were in full force in the 70's.
The scene where the centurion corrects Brian's bad Latin is one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen: perfect concept and marvelous execution.
yes its brilliant. lol the Latin fetish was such a huge deal for so much of western civilization. that scene reminded me of a passage i read from The Swerve where a Latin scholar who wrote witch burning edicts is sad as he watches someone get publically executed, but only because they spoke wonderful Latin.

Last edited:
I like the scene where the romans search the house for jews and all they do is through a blanket over themselves or hide with a lampshade on their head.

After 100 or so soldiers march in they find nothing. Only for one of them to say "we didn't search one spot". Off they go in again to return with only a wooden spoon. "excellent work"

Or, the GOAT; Biggus dickus

"Naughtious maximus is a made up name sir, like sillious soddus or biggus dickus"

"I have a vewy good fwend in wome called biggus dickus"

GreyHorace

good stuff. i rewatched this last year. all the stuff with the underground revolutionaries is still 1000% relevant.

kind of blows my mind that Python was able to mock self made revolutionaries, and we have these 40 year old jokes that sound identical to Twitter arguments. but then again, no doubt pseudo revolutionaries were in full force in the 70's.
I live in a country with a 50 year old communist movement still active and making life difficult for us ordinary citizens, especially those living in the rural areas. So yeah, Life of Brian's satirical take on revolutionary groups really struck with me. It's easy to mock authority figures, but mocking revolutionaries? That takes brass balls to even make the attempt and still come out on top like Python did.

We really need a comedy troupe like Monty Python today to mock the batshit insanity of liberals today and their woke culture.

The scene where the centurion corrects Brian's bad Latin is one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen: perfect concept and marvelous execution.

Yeah I remember taking Latin in high school and our teacher put that scene on. It really adds an extra layer of comedy when you're being taught that same stuff. :messenger_savoring:

And yes, an excellent movie. I rewatched it a few years back and many aspects were more relevant than ever. Also the "Making Of" is a good watch for fans of the movie:

Last edited:
Top Bottom