• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

India may be the first country to explain ... UFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLB2

Banned
Desperado said:
Hooray for sweeping generalizations.
That's not a "sweeping" generalization (what the fuck is the "sweeping" supposed to mean?). We can define a nujob as someone who believes ridiculous things, which would include imaculate conception, the ressurection of two long dead men (Lazarus and Jesus), knowledge of a universal good and evil, a boat large enough to fit a male and female version of every animal, and a universe that is only 5000 years old. From this definition it is obvious that Christians are nutjobs.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
olimario said:
I hate how this forum views Christians as 'gay hatin' sons of bitches'. Also, who knows if there are aliens or not? Nobody. Would it alter my religion if true? I don't see why it would.
Well the whole Creation story wouldn't quite work out.

Unless of course the aliens believed in Jesus.

NLB2

Banned
Lathentar said:
Well the whole Creation story wouldn't quite work out.

Unless of course the aliens believed in Jesus.
Have you ever read the Ender's Game series? Just more souls to save.

Hollywood

Banned
NLB2 said:
That's not a "sweeping" generalization (what the fuck is the "sweeping" supposed to mean?). We can define a nujob as someone who believes ridiculous things, which would include imaculate conception, the ressurection of two long dead men (Lazarus and Jesus), knowledge of a universal good and evil, a boat large enough to fit a male and female version of every animal, and a universe that is only 5000 years old. From this definition it is obvious that Christians are nutjobs.

Yes because it wouldn't be a generalization to say all Christians beleive that everything in the bible is true to the T. Great logic. I guess I should make a generalization that all members on this forum who have a member name starting with 'N' are fucking morons, with just because of you.

ManaByte

NLB2 said:

Except they've found the remains of that mythical boat...
http://www.throneofgod.com/bonilla/Noah's%20Ark%20Survey.jpg

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Oli there are different kinds of Christians.

I was baptized Roman Catholic, went to a catholic primary and secondary school never did any teacher try to tell us that Noah’s ark and the Creation myths were true.

We learnt about how to treat others with more respect forgive etc.. Using stories and fables from the bible and not having creation myths etc. shoved down our throats. My high school had no problem teaching evolution and the school priest had no problem with it.

IMO Christians that think every word in the bible is truth have lost the plot, thinking about petty things if homosexuality is moral or not? Did god make us? It’s purely a book which has a positive message of how to treat others.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
ManaByte said:
Except they've found the remains of that mythical boat...
http://www.throneofgod.com/bonilla/Noah's%20Ark%20Survey.jpg

Doesn’t look like there is room for the 25 million insect species estimated to be in existence.

RiZ III

Yea its pretty cool they found what appears to be Noahs ship, its just that theres no way you can fit all the animals on the planet on that thing. Nor is it possible to get a hold of every animal on the planet. Imo the flood was local. Farm animals/livestock were taken on the ship.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
RiZ III said:
Yea its pretty cool they found what appears to be Noahs ship, its just that theres no way you can fit all the animals on the planet on that thing. Nor is it possible to get a hold of every animal on the planet. Imo the flood was local. Farm animals/livestock were taken on the ship.

Or maybe he just saved a selection of animals and they evolved and branched of into many new species… oh wait.

NLB2

Banned
Hollywood said:
Yes because it wouldn't be a generalization to say all Christians beleive that everything in the bible is true to the T. Great logic. I guess I should make a generalization that all members on this forum who have a member name starting with 'N' are fucking morons, with just because of you.
Fine, then ignore all of the aspects of Christianity I listed above and keep it to the basics: A belief in original sin, a belief that God has three forms, a belief that Christ (who was born from the virgin Mary) grants eternal salvation in heaven through the divine grace of the holy spirit. And all of these beliefs are held without a lick of evidence. These beliefs, due to their lack of evidence supporting them, could be considered ridiculous and thus all Christians (and all Christians believe these things, if someone doesn't, then he isn't Christian) could be considered nutjobs.

However, the point of my original post was to show that, when using a word as meaningless as nutjob, you can categorize anything and everything as a nutjob without generalizing.

kumanoki

When I studied the Bible in college (Babtist school, meh) I had a really progressive teacher who posed the idea that UFOs were written about during the long march out of Egypt. Can anyone actually recall the passage about the angels that descended to make contact with the Jews during that time? Very interesting descriptions.

The way the angelic beings are described could lead one to create an image of an alien spaceship. (That was one of our lessons....totally pissed off the staunch Babtist in our clas who just sat there and stammered, "But in Revelations......but in Revelations.....")

ManaByte

kumanoki said:
When I studied the Bible in college (Babtist school, meh) I had a really progressive teacher who posed the idea that UFOs were written about during the long march out of Egypt. Can anyone actually recall the passage about the angels that descended to make contact with the Jews during that time? Very interesting descriptions.

There's a lot of stuff like that in the Bible and a lot of things that are interperated in that way. The most famous is probably the Nephilim mentioned in Genesis 6:4 or the Sons of God or fallen angels.

Rorschach

Ugh Coast to Coast AM. A co-worker used to record that show and listen to it at work. Not only are the guests totally out there, but they manage to be absolutely boring. I didn't know you could be both. I also hate how condescending George Noory is to the listeners.

Oh, and how the hell can you agree with ever caller and guest even though half contradicts the other half? No matter how retarded the point, George is like "Yeah, that's an awesome discovery." Does he not have 1 skeptic bone in his body? A lot of the "science" on that show makes me roll my eyes so far back, I'm staring at my brain.

It was bad enough that I was doing mind numbing work, but I also had to sit through that tripe...amazing I didn't fall asleep.

The one time I enjoyed his show was when Nader was on during the last campaign. That was entertainment. It was like Noory unloaded his pent up cynicism.

I think most "progressive" religious type would not have a problem with there being sentient alien life.

Those who chose to take a very stringent/strict view on certain points though (like God's covenant with Abraham), those folkes would have a tougher time coming to grips with this. As I mentioned above Billy Graham has said he believes sentient alien life is impossible because it violates God's Covenant. I think obviously it would also basically kill the Creationist movement, but that's probably inevitable anyway.

You'd have to wonder what the view of the Vatican would be if this ever happened. It would likely be the biggest crisis the Vatican has faced since Galileo proved the Earth is not the center of the universe, except this would be several times more troubling for them.

In Muslim faith though I believe there is the belief that there could be life on other planets. I'm not positive on that though.

ManaByte

soundwave05 said:
I think most "progressive" religious type would not have a problem with there being sentient alien life.

Those who chose to take a very stringent/strict view on certain points though (like God's covenant with Abraham), those folkes would have a tougher time coming to grips with this. As I mentioned above Billy Graham has said he believes sentient alien life is impossible because it violates God's Covenant.

You'd have to wonder what the view of the Vatican would be if this ever happened.

In Muslim faith though I believe there is the belief that there could be life on other planets. I'm not positive on that though.

Unless the Vatican already knows and is keeping it secret. There's apparently stuff inside the Vatican archives that's ultra secret.

ManaByte said:
Unless the Vatican already knows and is keeping it secret. There's apparently stuff inside the Vatican archives that's ultra secret.

Yeah, there's tons of conspiracy theories on that too.

It'd be funny if the Vatican had little aliens running around their top secret archives room :lol

kumanoki said:
I have none offhand, but I read a "70s nonfiction weird shit" book that was largely about this. Talked about how things like "clouds" and "pillars" that they followed could be taken as a UFO leading the way, dropping food, and so on.

ManaByte

soundwave05 said:
Yeah, there's tons of conspiracy theories on that too.

It'd be funny if the Vatican had little aliens running around their top secret archives room :lol

Not so much that, but there are conspiracy theories that the Vatican has artifacts like the Holy Grail stashed away in the basement vaults.

ManaByte said:
Not so much that, but there are conspiracy theories that the Vatican has artifacts like the Holy Grail stashed away in the basement vaults.

Well the Holy Grail is an entirely other can of worms (see: The Da Vinci Code; Holy Blood, Holy Grail, etc.).

Would there be a mass public sense of unrest though if it was revealed that governments or certain institutions knew about aliens, but did not make such information public? Maybe they could say the aliens forced them not to tell, lol.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
RiZ III said:
I would hope your kidding..

Well I am a fledgling Zoologist so I believe in Evolution but my post was a joke.

I think it’s funny you could justify Noah’s Ark using Evolution, despite the constricted time frame.

Doesn't the Vatican support a more "allegorical" view of Biblical text though? I thought this was one of the big differences between the Catholic church and the Protestant church, in Catholicism everything is not taken literally.

The concept of a "great flood" which wipes out a civilization is common place in almost all religions (see Atlantis and the ancient Greeks).

It may have been the way the people back then made sense of events like massive natural disasters.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Would there be a mass public sense of unrest though if it was revealed that governments or certain institutions knew about aliens, but did not make such information public? Maybe they could say the aliens forced them not to tell, lol.

pdvd00311vf.jpg

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Why was NLB2 banned? I thought he did a decent job defending his position. It's not like he just made some offhand derogatory comment...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My parents are fairly conservative catholics, and occasionally we talk about stuff like this (intelligent alien life elsewhere). They have a couple of issues:

1) We're supposed to be unique in the universe, so perhaps if life does exist elsewhere, it's simply not as intelligent as us?

2) What if God created intelligent life elsewhere that "didn't fall from grace" like humans did? A perfect race (angels?). That would possibly be in keeping with Catholic/Christian teaching while leaving the door open to other life out there.

There's also the point of creation, how it happened etc. My parents don't think God came down and created the earth in 7 days, or even in Adam & Eve (though they do believe humankind fell from grace, original sin etc.). They have reconciled evolution, a massive universe etc. with their own beliefs, but they pose the question: what happened before the big bang? If you trace everything back, where do you end up? Was their a "first mover" aka God (they believe, yes, and that everything past that first move was God's plan i.e. the big bang, creation of the galaxies, creation of earth, evolution of mankind etc.)? How could something come out of nothing? Etc.

Belfast

Rorschach said:
Ugh Coast to Coast AM. A co-worker used to record that show and listen to it at work. Not only are the guests totally out there, but they manage to be absolutely boring. I didn't know you could be both. I also hate how condescending George Noory is to the listeners.

Oh, and how the hell can you agree with ever caller and guest even though half contradicts the other half? No matter how retarded the point, George is like "Yeah, that's an awesome discovery." Does he not have 1 skeptic bone in his body? A lot of the "science" on that show makes me roll my eyes so far back, I'm staring at my brain.

It was bad enough that I was doing mind numbing work, but I also had to sit through that tripe...amazing I didn't fall asleep.

The one time I enjoyed his show was when Nader was on during the last campaign. That was entertainment. It was like Noory unloaded his pent up cynicism.

Wha? Like half the people they have on are actual scientists. They just have some pretty radical theories. Are you telling me Michio Kaku, for instance, is a complete nutjob? I rarely ever hear Noory being condescending to the listeners. In fact, like you said, he tries to let everyone have their say, even if it does sound retarded. That's one of the reasons why I can actually stand to listen to the show. Its not all "Hey, the host is always right, the rest of you are a bunch of tards." Yes, some of the people are retards, but at least he's polite enough not to be a jerk about it.

Raven.

Banned
RiZ III said:
That would explain why he's been taking sooo long to return. Hes getting murdered all over the universe :lol

That's the thing... that makes no sense(getting murdered in order to forgive)!!! So, rather than simply saying "I forgive you" a human(or alien)/god sacrifice has to take place(a sacrifice done by us, maybe to show how heartless some of us are) in order to forgive us. Let's ignore the fact that saying one cannot forgive unless one's killed makes no sense, and think: Forgive us for what exactly? I mean, for not following God's words, when you've not even heard them personally(yeah, so you're supposed to believe what your local priest/holy man says without question, or you're going against the supreme being :lol )?

Or is it because of the original sin? So entirely innocent people are blamed for what others did, for what their ancestors did(which was simply to disobey by taking an apple, for which they paid dearly... and so must we all, unless we return to the light by following the holy man's words?)?

When they add the concept of soul, and life's ephemeral nature... they're basically saying hey this is a big MMORPG-esque simulation, only with fvcked up rules done out of love. We know this, because God told some hicks throughout the millenia, and he believed you would never require any rational explanation or facts, just our words. Oh and he loves you so much that if you don't believe what we say he'll torture you forever...

These are the main rules(for other more subtle ones, ask the holy man):

1. your intellectual capacity is nowhere near as high as it could be(less face it we could be far far more intelligent)

2.your knowledge is insignificant, you're given instincts/predispositions and predisposing environments and temptations

3. and when you do something wrong(which is something that's not told to you in any rational manner, just someone saying: "believe this ancient texts without question") you may very well be sent to perpetual torment.

4. in order to avoid perpetual torment, you must follow what you're told by this religion which is oddly enough "often molded to the culture of the time"

5. Redemption is achieved by the Creator coming into the mmorpg and being tortured to death... otherwise your violations of the untold rules(or the rules broken millenia ago by some distant ancestor) is unforgivable(though, the creator is omnipotent which means he could forgive it if he wanted too... but this death-ritual just makes it all the more striking/impressive/convincing so as to spread the religion "he died for you sounds way more impressive than he forgave you" )

6. NO you can't ask for forgiveness after you die(no respawning either), it must be done here, cause otherwise you can't contribute to this religious organization :lol

7. If you follow reason/rational thought and think it through, thus seeing through the holy man's facade(aka deep down his claims are baseless, and they're going to modify your live with made-up-often-bothersome-rules... for no reason.) you lose... perpetual torment

8. These rules are made out of love, and just pure love, rather than making you super capable with super intelligence, and giving you a decent environment, and a nice rule book( none of which compromises your free will)... you're not given such, and often you're even given violent temper, antisocial inclinations, environments that promote criminal behavior, and the like, and the rules are given in a ridiculous manner that requires you to forgo reason or be lucky enough to have gotten dah brainwashing(and be lucky enough not to come upon anything that makes you question it, and gets you out of it.)... and remember failure in this mmorp is punished by perpetual torment, out of love which you did not accept(by following untold rules, and believing what you're told without basis, without facts, and remember: to believe without facts is a virtue, not a failing ).

any willful disregard for the norms revealed by God is a sin

That quote is from wiki
wiki
BTW, they also give us several answers to the question of: Why did he have to die?
NONE, IMHO, make sense or is in anyway acceptable, so if some of you guys can come up with something I'd like to hear it.

UFOs in the bible? lol

edited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom