• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indiana Jones Mystery Package" mailed to University of Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intention was to recreate a 50's sci-fi movie (nukes, giant ants, aliens) like how the first ones were a spin on 1930's pulp adventure novels. What did Shia do that was so horrible in Crystal Skull?

Aliens are no less believable to me then pulling a mans heart out of his chest, drinking from the cup of Christ or opening the ark of the covenant.

Hear, hear.

I thought the movie was a lot of fun.

B.K.

Indiana Jones' first name isn't Indiana?

The dog was named Indiana.

How will the Indiana Jones franchise work now that Disney co-owns it? Will Paramount have to clear it with Disney first and can Disney block production if Paramount does ever want to do a fifth movie?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The dog was named Indiana.

How will the Indiana Jones franchise work now that Disney co-owns it? Will Paramount have to clear it with Disney first and can Disney block production if Paramount does ever want to do a fifth movie?

Paramount has the movie rights, so no I don't think so. Disney can do anything else with the franchise though, like make a comic or cartoon or game.

nononononononoNONONONO

shia-monkeys.jpg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I feel like this was just a clever homage by some fan(site) or just a UoC student.

Hang on a minute.... When was his middle name revealed to be Walton?

"The character's full name is stated in the Corey Carrier narration of the feature-length episode My First Adventure from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles."

Temple is still the best Indy film. Bring back the Indy that will straight up murder all the people, please.

Skull is fine. Dumber, but fine. The monkey swinging scene is legitimately my favorite part, especially the music with it.

I know it's cool to hate on Crystal Skull, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people slam the Fridge scene, and yet they're okay with Indy, Short Round and Willy Scott jumping out of an airplane over the Himalaya and surviving because the life raft opens up and they float gently to Earth. Both are incredulous and over the top, but fit into the theme of the films.

Evlar

Banned
I know it's cool to hate on Crystal Skull, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people slam the Fridge scene, and yet they're okay with Indy, Short Round and Willy Scott jumping out of an airplane over the Himalaya and surviving because the life raft opens up and they float gently to Earth. Both are incredulous and over the top, but fit into the theme of the films.
Yeah. The fridge scene was my favorite part of Crystal Skull, the bit of it that most felt like a legitimate Indy film.

I mean, the man hitches a ride on a U-boat without drowning or being detected. THAT is the single most improbable stunt of the Indy films.

Crystal skull was annoying and Shia was no better than jar jar. The plot was super sloppy like they weren't even trying and just making an Indy movie "just because". They better out more effort into Indy 5 if there gonna go through with it. I think Indy teaming up with iris Elba would be cool.

Yeah. The fridge scene was my favorite part of Crystal Skull, the bit of it that most felt like a legitimate Indy film.

I mean, the man hitches a ride on a U-boat without drowning or being detected. THAT is the single most improbable stunt of the Indy films.

So much of this. There are quite a few insanely improbable scenes in the series, and they are part of what makes an Indiana Jones film. Tbh, I thought the whole fridge thing was really quite creative.

Nothing in the indy films is more improbable than being thrown through the air by a nuclear bomb only to land safely, miles away and protected from all forms or radiation or heat by a refrigerator.

The arc melting faces, beating hearts out of a chest, swinging with monkeys, Aliens visiting Earth and 1000 year old nights are all more likely than that fridge scene.

Lucas and Spielberg movies... the only movies I can say, "I'll just watch the first 10 minutes" and then end up watching the whole thing. Doesn't matter what the movie is, it always happens. Recently happend to me with Crystal Skull.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Lucas and Spielberg coming back to ruin my childhood? Again?

Well, it is happening. So I'll still get excited for it and watch it when it comes out. It's just... They will lack the charm of the first three.

I think I'm gonna go and buy the Blu-Ray trilogy.

Platy

The intention was to recreate a 50's sci-fi movie (nukes, giant ants, aliens) like how the first ones were a spin on 1930's pulp adventure novels. What did Shia do that was so horrible in Crystal Skull?

Aliens are no less believable to me then pulling a mans heart out of his chest, drinking from the cup of Christ or opening the ark of the covenant.

I liked the Crystal Skull movie ... but the bolded was my main problem with it.

Why suddenly change ?

What the new one will be now ?
A 40's war propaganda movie ?
A 70's musical movie ?
A 80's martial arts movie ?

Rich!

I liked the Crystal Skull movie ... but the bolded was my main problem with it.

Why suddenly change ?

What the new one will be now ?
A 40's war propaganda movie ?
A 70's musical movie ?
A 80's martial arts movie ?

The setting moved ahead two decades because the characters (and actors) had aged. Do you think that a new Indiana Jones film set in the early 40s would make sense with harrison ford in his 60s? Of course it bloody wouldnt.

As for the style...that argument doesnt stand either. All four of the indy films follow a very different genre template to one another.

The setting moved ahead two decades because the characters (and actors) had aged. Do you think that a new Indiana Jones film set in the early 40s would make sense with harrison ford in his 60s? Of course it bloody wouldnt.

Which is why it should never have been made. Too much time had passed. Same with Ghostbusters. The Indy trilogy used to be able to say it went out on top. Now it can't say that anymore.

Platy

It could have been set in the 50's with the style 30's pulp adventure movies =P

Following your logic ...
So if we wait more we will be in the 60's ...

So the next one will be a "high special effect" sci fi like Jason and the Argonauts and Planet of the Apes ?

A Spy movie like the first 3 james bonds ?

A.... spaguetti western ? =P

edit : They can make HARRISON FORD play the role of SHIA in the first movie .... but TODAY !
It will be a movie in the style of Michael Bay's explosion blockbusters. It also will be a reboot AND a sequel wich are both high these days !

Rich!

Raiders = Pulp war serial
Doom = Pulp horror/adventure
Crusade = Buddy comedy
Skull = Sci Fi

So yeah. No point arguing about it. The series has never been truly consistent in tone. Each film has its own direct influence, which negates your point.

akira28

And that's my problem. I don't watch Indiana Jones to watch a spoof of 1950s science fiction films. I watch Indiana Jones because it's an adventure series. I'm more interested in historical and or religious artifacts. Magic. Spiritual stones. Holy cups. Not crystal alien skulls.

Also, the writing was terrible. TERRIBLE. How many times was it revealed that the skulls were ALIENS! before we understood it? I remember at least three reveals. Of the same information!

Dude, don't you know that crystal skulls are really old wonders of the unknown world? And that people have attributed them to all sorts of sources, including aliens?

Sounds like you need to go back and research your forteana.

Makonero

It could have been set in the 50's with the style 30's pulp adventure movies =P

Following your logic ...
So if we wait more we will be in the 60's ...

So the next one will be a "high special effect" sci fi like Jason and the Argonauts and Planet of the Apes ?

A Spy movie like the first 3 james bonds ?

A.... spaguetti western ? =P

edit : They can make HARRISON FORD play the role of SHIA in the first movie .... but TODAY !
It will be a movie in the style of Michael Bay's explosion blockbusters. It also will be a reboot AND a sequel wich are both high these days !

Can he also be a superhero? Super Indiana, away!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

The intention was fine, the execution was the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom