• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [June] Now Voting - Post 666

Hofmann

Amazing games especially Stealer, but unfortunatelly looks like the dev gave up developing the game. :(

It looks like the project is not entirely dead, just on hold for the moment.

Ok, Little Inferno - my favourite game this month from the ones we can vote for. It's basically free, so go grab it, if you haven't already.

tumblr_ml8bqbxRHz1ryk3eeo3_250.gif

GIF from google, maybe Messofanego could create something cooler.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey Hoffman, delete the devlog post from the last page and post it again here. Otherwise it gets buried on page 6, which would be a shame.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
No need to delete it IMHO.

It doesnt matter much for the thread and people viewing it but it might get me to do some double work for the future section of the next thread in case I stop in between the two and forget that I already checked these games. Keeping it clean is good :p

Hofmann

From the depths of Devlogs

Next set of dug out games, hopefully non of them appeared here before.
All descriptions written by their authors.

STEALER

Platformer, with focusing on atmosphere and exploration. We want to make something cinematic and very detailed to describe world of robots completely.
patrol.gif

big-gun.gif

DwarfCorp

DwarfCorp is a real time procedurally generated strategy game heavily inspired by dwarf fortress, dungeon keeper, and minecraft.

In DwarfCorp you manage a group of dwarf employees sent by Greybeard and Sons LLC to explore and exploit unknown regions, and send back your collections to corporate HQ via air balloons. The world will be trying to stop you, though, as it will be infested with all kinds of horrible creatures and inhospitable climates!
dkdektr.png

particles.gif

Weirwood Grove

I'm working on a simple scripting language that combines concepts from turtle grahpics and L-System. The idea is that by writing a script you control the generation of a line-based drawing. Changes you make to the script take effect immediately upon saving.
ss05.png

Pulse of the Labyrinth

The game's focus is on environmental puzzle solving, atmosphere, and exploration. The goal is to make the game's world interesting enough to entice players to want to explore, so we plan on having quite a few paths, secret areas and unlockable abilities. It will play similar to a 2d metroidvania game.
laby_chase.png

Hiko Run

This is my first game attempt so have been trying to keep it simple (although that's proved false in many instances). The game I've been working on is a Canabalt type running game (Not very original I know but really just been for me to learn how to make a game and the process involved).
hikorun4.gif

Waker

The game consists of working in your office, falling asleep, exploring the dream world and interacting with its inhabitants (meaning dialogue trees galore), getting killed by something and waking up, and then falling asleep again. The primary focus of the game is on its story and character interaction, with a sprinkling of exploration and puzzle solving.
wretch_giant.png

Century

Century is a tale of sleeping machines. It takes place in an ancient tangled city of constructed organics.

The premise for my first mechanics prototype was simulating energy and how it flows between the machines. I want to create systems of machines that are fun and interesting to manipulate. Interaction will be very simple, just clicking on parts of a machine to turn it on and off and understanding how the different parts function together will be the key to solving the puzzles.

The game will have an exploration component. The game is separated into levels and each level will have at least one director machine which exits the level and leads to another. Many levels will have multiple exits, hidden exits etc. which will lead to branching paths.
ingame.jpg

Toma

Thanks :) And me being me, I really need to take a lot at DwarfCorp. Stealer looks great too though.

It's easy to sell you a game, you just have to mention Dwarf Fortress;)

So one more, this time combined with the game from the top of this page:

fire2.gif

I should really add something related to dwarf fortress to my game. At least I know I'll get a sale from toma.

It's Spacechem x Factorio x Dwarf Fortress! Total copies sold: 1

Toma

I should really add something related to dwarf fortress to my game. At least I know I'll get a sale from toma.

It's Spacechem x Factorio x Dwarf Fortress! Total copies sold: 1

I'll take 5 please.

Don't be discouraged, your game is shaping up nicely.

Thanks, I need to finish my game ASAP or at least release something. I was working full time on it since I was unemployed but I actually landed a job and need to start in a month at most (I'm still ironing some legal details).

Wok

I am very interested in some impressions if you decide to pick it up.

In fact, I had already picked it up last year. The graphics do not look good, but there is a high tension due to the fact you play against some real human player, one is trying to act as an NPC while completing some missions, the other is highlighting and lowlighting NPCs (and maybe the spy) during the short timeframe of the match. Since you liked Claivoyance, you will find a similar way of thinking ahead: the spy can divert the sniper with fake bananabreads, and the sniper influences the actions of the spy thanks to his laser pointer, so both opponents are actors and spectators at the same time, influenced by each other.

Spelunky will be on PC this summer.

Lune (alpha) is available through this bundle.

Toma

In fact, I had already picked it up last year. The graphics do not look good, but there is a high tension due to the fact you play against some real human player, one is trying to act as an NPC while completing some missions, the other is highlighting and lowlighting NPCs (and maybe the spy) during the short timeframe of the match. Since you liked Claivoyance, you will find a similar way of thinking ahead: the spy can divert the sniper with fake bananabreads, and the sniper influences the actions of the spy thanks to his laser pointer, so both opponents are actors and spectators at the same time, influenced by each other.

Yeah, I got those "basics" from the game, but it seems so .. janky? And I play a LOT of Indies, but I just cant seem to muster up the will to buy it because it really "looks" rather underwhelming. The game mechanics you mentioned simply cannot be explained and need some form of a demo to get the point across.

Hari Seldon

Need to add Expeditions: Conquistador to this thread. A kickstarter game released last week. I bought it on a whim and I am loving it a lot. A nod to the old 1992 Micropose game Darklands, as an open world RPG with turn based combat. And a ton of interesting dialogue based decisions (e.g. do you hire paid servants or purchase slaves?), and an absolutely fantastic setting.

Need to add Expeditions: Conquistador to this thread. A kickstarter game released last week. I bought it on a whim and I am loving it a lot. A nod to the old 1992 Micropose game Darklands, as an open world RPG with turn based combat. And a ton of interesting dialogue based decisions (e.g. do you hire paid servants or purchase slaves?), and an absolutely fantastic setting.

Who better than you to post some links, screenshots and impressions then ;)

Toma

That's great, thanks for the update. Another reason to try those Blackwell games.

Just bought it as well, pretty cheap price for the Blackwell games that I'll give away somewhere and the Lune alpha.

Little Inferno is an interesting experience, still haven't finished it but it's addicting. So far put 3:20 hours in the game and didn't notice the time pass. Never thought that burn things could be so fun.

One thing that creepy me, is how the dolls keep following your mouse cursor with their eyes.

Hofmann

Little Inferno is an interesting experience, still haven't finished it but it's addicting. So far put 3:20 hours in the game and didn't notice the time pass. Never thought that burn things could be so fun.

Exactly, hypnotizing repetitive nature of the mechanics is what makes it so good. And of course there's another layer that keeps the game interesting on a conceptual level.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I started up Little Inferno last night after giving up on From Dust due to Uplay (I actually got it to work but was so enraged that I didn't think I'd be giving the game a fair chance.) I figured lighting things on fire would be cathartic. It was quite satisfying. Just sat there and played it for five hours straight. Did not expect that ending.

Hofmann

After I finished the first act of Kentucky Route Zero my expectations were skyrocketing, that's why I was slightly worried, that the next part might not hold up to this hype. Hopefully those doubts can now be long forgotten - Act 2 alone is worth the price paid for the whole season. The price shouldn't actually even be mentioned, when it comes to such a brilliant work. I played a lot of videogames, from big budget productions to alternative independent titles, but I've never experienced anything so remarkable, haunting and multilayered, so conscious of the possibilities that this medium - still in most cases rooted in the past - has to offer. I won't write about those countless magical moments that this game consists of, because I don't want to take away the joy from those who haven't played it yet. Let me just say that those pieces indiviually, even without the whole context that has been slowly unveiled in front of our eyes, could be easily compared to the most significant examples of artistic workmanship among other more mature forms of expression. It's clearly a work of passion, love and craft, uncompromised as far as current technology allows it to be, that everyone should play. Still need to digest everything, but I can already imagine how painful the waiting for the next three months will be.

krz8.jpg

Even this single shot randomly found on the Internet is amazing.

Morokh

Following Toma's advice I'll leave that here :)

Scrolls is a multiplayer trading card / strategy game created by Mojang, the company behind Minecraft.

It is in Beta and costs £13, €15, or $20 (USD)( available on www.scrolls.com ) but it works the same as Minecraft, pay once, get every additional update for free.

I've been playing it since they launched it on June 3rd and it fits pefectly to scratch that trading card game itch :p
The interesting thing about it is that it includes strategy elements from board games in addition to usual card games mechanics.

For people that never played a trading card game it's quite easy to get into, but there is still some tricks to learn and it will of course evolve a lot during the Beta.

More info in the |OT| if you are interested

Hofmann

Crossposting from Adventure thread.

The Coral Cave - It's pretty early, but I thought you might be interested - it looks gorgeous.

8961473105_0f24575f0a_o.jpg

The Coral Cave is a 2D point & click adventure game (like Machinarium or Broken Sword for example). It will be entirely handmade in watercolors and will feature lots of animations, characters and backgrounds!

The player controls a little Japanese girl named Mizuka who lives on a small remote island, in the Okinawa archipelago.
One night, she has a strange dream. When she wakes up, a terrible danger is threatening her village.
Mizuka must explore the surroundings and enter a mysterious spirit world in order to save her island.

razu

After I finished the first act of Kentucky Route Zero my expectations were skyrocketing, that's why I was slightly worried, that the next part might not hold up to this hype. Hopefully those doubts can now be long forgotten - Act 2 alone is worth the price paid for the whole season. The price shouldn't actually even be mentioned, when it comes to such a brilliant work. I played a lot of videogames, from big budget productions to alternative independent titles, but I've never experienced anything so remarkable, haunting and multilayered, so conscious of the possibilities that this medium - still in most cases rooted in the past - has to offer. I won't write about those countless magical moments that this game consists of, because I don't want to take away the joy from those who haven't played it yet. Let me just say that those pieces indiviually, even without the whole context that has been slowly unveiled in front of our eyes, could be easily compared to the most significant examples of artistic workmanship among other more mature forms of expression. It's clearly a work of passion, love and craft, uncompromised as far as current technology allows it to be, that everyone should play. Still need to digest everything, but I can already imagine how painful the waiting for the next three months will be.

krz8.jpg

Thanks for reminding me of this game, it looks brilliant.

Hofmann

Thanks for reminding me of this game, it looks brilliant.

Cool, I hope more people will play this. Maybe it's a little premature - after all there's still a lot more to come - but it may be the best videogame I've ever played.

Toma

Cool, I hope more people will play this. Maybe it's a little premature - after all there's still a lot more to come - but it may be the best videogame I've ever played.

Was part 2 more puzzle-y than the first?

Nillansan

I think it is worth quoting the developer's post.

Hello everyone!

Unepic will finally be released next Thursday in "Early Acces" of Steam. You will find a finished single player mode with 20 hours of fun (and a few minutes blaming the developer), and a multiplayer mode quite advanced, but still unfinished.

Since Unepic appeared in GreenLight, I've managed to create a multiplayer engine in the game, a cooperative mode with 7 dungeons, a new story and dialogs, new bosses, new spells for warriors, 3 PvP modes, a matchmaking system that let you play while searcing a group to play, a level editor, full HD mode and gamePad support. Besides, thanks to the help of a sound tech and a music composer, the sound has been remasterized (now it sounds really cool!) and the music has been improved.

You will also find 15 challenges + 42 achievements, and storing your games in the cloud to play wherever you want.

And all this available with a reduced price for all those who wants to play Unepic now.

Thanks! And I hope you enjoy the game!
fran

Dascu

krz8.jpg

I think it's a terrible game, in the sense that the interactivity barely matters, there's no win/lose structure, the basic foundation of gameplay and challenge is missing. So I would never even consider putting it up as one of the best games of the year or demonstrating what gaming has to offer.

Buuuut, it is absolutely brilliant on all the other fronts. I wish they had managed to actually make a game out of it and not just a 3D visual novel.

Can you (and other people who like the game) maybe elaborate on this?

I'm not willing to put up $25 for the series just yet as I'm not convinced it will get finished, and it's frankly just a little steep for a couple hours of play.

That said, I am keenly interested in it, but can't help noticing that it seems like actual "game" elements aren't really present. For instance, not really many (if any) resources, no meaningful choices, etc.

I'm down with Interactive Fiction if that's what this is, but I'd love to hear more about what specifically you liked about the game. I don't mind being spoiled on it. I'm tired of reading reviews where it's basically just platitudes without any actual critique.

Also if you know of any places where I can find good critique of the game I'd be interested in those too :)

Top Bottom