• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGAF Community GOTY Voting 2014 (until 19th of January)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If I had played more, I think Talos would not be in my list. This game is is one of my biggest disappointments this year: it does not run smoothly on my PC, the robots look dull (nothing compared to the humanoid robots in Portal 2 for instance), and the puzzles are okay-ish. I feel like it is a cheap version of The Witness. I usually dislike Croteam's environments, so with retrospect, it was to be expected.

Disappointing others praised it highly and I am still unsure whether to bite on this or not.

flowsnake

Disappointing others praised it highly and I am still unsure whether to bite on this or not.

Well, I really like it and I suggest you do. :p It's probably near the top of my list at the moment. I think liking the narrative elements is a big part of it for me though, even though the puzzles would still be interesting without them.

managore

Wow, you made it? It's just my kind of game, action roguelike that's straight to the point. Thanks for it, I paid the default donation but I might give some more after I play more. There's not nearly enough games of this kind, have you considered submitting it to Steam/Desura?

Also, if I had to make any criticism, it's that the pixel ratio is not preserved when maximizing the window, necessitating some manual resizing each time it's booted (otherwise the game gets horribly squished). An actual fullscreen mode would be even better, but even adding black bars to the sides of the window would be great.

Thanks! It might be coming to Steam in one form or another, actually! I hope to one day come back to it and add a huge amount of content to it. It's the sort of game I could dump hundreds of hours into and not feel like it would get bloated.

I appreciate the criticism. I could have made it have black (or dark purple) bars but I felt as though the stretched view would be more authentic. I might have a somewhat unique personal preference in that regard! If I continue working on it I might have to increase the resolution slightly so that it looks better in widescreen.

If I had played more, I think Talos would not be in my list. This game is is one of my biggest disappointments this year: it does not run smoothly on my PC, the robots look dull (nothing compared to the humanoid robots in Portal 2 for instance), and the puzzles are okay-ish. I feel like it is a cheap version of The Witness. I usually dislike Croteam's environments, so with retrospect, it was to be expected.

If Talos was one of your biggest disappointments it seems a bit silly to include it. There are a tonne of great games listed in other people's top 20s. As a random example, I think every game I've played on Toma's top 20 is pretty well deserved.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If Talos was one of your biggest disappointments it seems a bit silly to include it. There are a tonne of great games listed in other people's top 20s. As a random example, I think every game I've played on Toma's top 20 is pretty well deserved.

Thanks for the shoutout :)

But yeah, before compiling the list, I did not expect to be able to name so many games that I genuinely liked.

Wok

Let us see (comments in bold):
Not final voting list, will probably adjust quite a bit until the end of the voting period:

1 Towerfall Ascension: I own the game, but I need an opportunity to play it with friends...
2 Transistor: I did not enjoy Bastion, so no
3 Legend of Grimrock 2: I did not finish the first one, so no
4 Echo of the Wilds: I own this one
5 Cubesis: not my type of game
6 Eidolon: it looks like a mix of Shelter and Proteus, but why not
7 The Banner Saga: I own this one and I will give it another try
8 Dungeon of the Endless: graphics look messy, I am going to be so lost in this one
9 Ultimate Space Commando: not my type of game
10 Endless Legend
11 Castle Doctrine: as much as I like Jason Rohrer's personality, I usually don't like his games
12 Crimsonland HD: not my type of game
13 Hexcells Infinite: similar to Hexcells Plus, which is already on my list
14 Crypt of the Necrodancer
15 This War of Mine: too dark for me
16 Tabletop Simulator: need friends nearby to play with
17 Pilota
18 Heroine's Quest
19 Freaking Meatbags
20 Pocket Robots Test Chamber

Toma

Let us see (comments in bold):

I wasnt a huge fan of Bastion either, Transistor is an entirely different beast. I suggest you look up a gameplay video on Youtube if you havent yet :) The gameplay and different variations of attack setups is incredibly rewarding to play around with.

flowsnake

I wasnt a huge fan of Bastion either, Transistor is an entirely different beast. I suggest you look up a gameplay video on Youtube if you havent yet :) The gameplay and different variations of attack setups is incredibly rewarding to play around with.

I really like that variety in theory, but somehow it didn't really work for me in practice. I can't really explain why and I should try it again.

daydream

Banned
Memo to myself: Check if Olympia Rising was this year and include it (too lazy to do it on mobile).

Also, Bastion is virtually perfect, get with the program, guys. :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
just saw the min 20.

no way I'm going to be able to finish 12 more titles before voting is over.

Simply not possible with EU IV multiplayer on-going, and the year of SMASH :(

Toma so demanding

Toma

just saw the min 20.

no way I'm going to be able to finish 12 more titles before voting is over.

Simply not possible with EU IV multiplayer on-going, and the year of SMASH :(

Toma so demanding

Go suck french cock then instead ;p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, France is dead now. It's time to get sexeh with GB and Aragon :p

Toma

Hex MP came out this year. I definitely do need to include that somewhere on my list. Fantastic Magic the Gathering style card game, thats better than any of the originals current online offerings.

OnPoint

I won't be voting for my own game. Though I really want to haha

Anyway, here's my list. If something doesn't belong, please omit it and go forward.

1. Towerfall Ascension
  2. Shovel Knight
  3. Transistor
  4. Towerfall Ascension
  5. The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
  6. Xeodrifter
  7. Jazzpunk
  8. Level 2 The Virus Master
  9. Super TIME Force
  10. Sportsfriends
  11. Race The Sun
  12. Shipwreck
  13. Block Legend
  14. Niddhogg
  15. Stranded
  16. Always Sometimes Monsters

Toma

Just remembered that FRACT OSC released this year too. Definitely gets a spot in my top 20 list.

allansm

1. Kentucky Route Zero Act 3
2. The Talos Principle
3. Shovel Knight
4. Super Time Force
5. Endless Legend
6. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
7. Escape Goat 2
8. Girls Like Robots
9. Halfway
10. Broken Age
11. OlliOlli
12. Dungeon of the Endless
13. Crypt of the Necrodancer
14. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
15. Roundabout
16. The Journey Down Chapter 2
17. Super Win the Game
18. Fract OSC
19. Infested Planet
20. Rymdkapsel

I'll play a few more games before the 19th in order to complete the list. This wasn't a very good year in my opinion, many of the Indie Games I was looking foward to dissapointed me (Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Battleblock Theater, The Banner Saga, Transistor, Gods Will Be Watching, Neverending Nightmares for example).

Toma

Any reason why it shouldnt?

Toma

I just figured the base game came out in 2013. Ascension adds some stuff but it didn't feel like a "fresh" release to me. That said, it's my top pick now lol.

If I recall, it had no PC release in 2013, right?

Because it's not so great?

*runs*

You just say that because you have no friends... except us and we cant play with you :p

OnPoint

Weird, I must have imagined the times where I had significantly more fun playing Samurai Gunn or Gang Beasts with them. :p

Seems to be a prefer one or the other situation for most people regarding Samurai Gunn and Towerfall. I like both... helps that I'm decent at both. But I can't get my play group to play Samurai Gunn to save my life.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is the vita version of Resogun indie and 2014 enough for you, Toma?

Toma

Is the vita version of Resogun indie and 2014 enough for you, Toma?

Housemarque is Indie and Resogun released in 2014, so there wouldnt be technically any issue if not for the fact that we only include games that also released on PC :p

Yeah, I know. Broad Indie lists make a ton of issues, but for now we make an extra iOS list for example. Gotta think more on how to handle that next year.

kanamechan

1. Grimrock 2 (easily my non-indy GOTY too. The puzzles are really, really good. For anyone that disliked Grimrock 1, this is LEAGUES better than G1 was. If the issue you had was slightly repetitive puzzles and same location, then G2 fixes all of this easily)
2. Shovel Knight - probably the game with the best platforming design in a long time. It's REALLY well done and will probably top a lot of lists about 2014.
2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - superb game. I really dig how it feels like a proper Pen&Paper game to me.
2. Crypt of the Necrodancer - wonderful idea, and that music. The trailer alone was enough to convince me to get it, and it' well worth it already..
2. Transistor - what can I say? The world is really interesting (Sybil ;_;)
6. Shantae - just fun, despite designmeh in parts (clothes, hah)
6. Luftrausers - love how the weapons define the music, and the mechanics are really cool!
8. 1001 Spikes - very nice Indiana Jones action platformer with really well designed levels
9. Kingdom Rush - I am still sad Origins/Frontiers are mobile only
10. Divinity: Original Sin (that should DEFINITELY count)
11. Titan Souls (loved the idea)
11. Rymdkapsel (closest to dungeon keeper :( Curse ya EA)
11. Joylancer (just a cool concept :D)
11. Freedom planet (sonic without, well, Sonic's issues)
15. Momodora III (I like platforming. You can probably tell with the other entries on the list)
16. Styx: Master of Shadows - Nice little stealth game. Story was a bit meh, but gameplay was very solid.
17. Retro-Pixel Castles - hey, I like defensy stuff. I only didn't list banished as well because it was 2013, I believe.
17. Super Time Force. I really like the time mechanic, because it led to a lot of "puzzles" that I myself created by being bad, which I then had to fix. Superb.
17. Super Win the Game - I actually like Zelda 2, and the explory nature of this game really scratched a nicew itch.
20. Nekro - hey, I like being bad sometimes, and playing essentially Diablo as an evil Necro was fun :>

Honorable mentions:
Papers Please
Coldfire Keep
This War of Mine
Heroine's Quest

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ok, only need to play five more games to be able to make a list! Three Hexcells game on my ballot though :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
played 1.5 hours of Jazzpunk. Really didn't enjoy it. :( I can see the game being really hit or miss. The mood and humour just didn't hit home I guess.

Toma

I was pretty much done, but if you need to revise, do it now/ today :p

Going to make the list in the next few days and then we need to write the posts.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I was pretty much done, but if you need to revise, do it now/ today :p

Going to make the list in the next few days and then we need to write the posts.

is my list ok?

How's the final tally coming along? I wonder if it'll be an eclectic mix or if the more well-known indies will be more prominent

Toma

How's the final tally coming along? I wonder if it'll be an eclectic mix or if the more well-known indies will be more prominent

Halfway through, list will be up tonight for sure.

Toma

Alright, behold:

Shovel Knight
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Transistor
Hexcells Plus/Infinite
Escape Goat 2
The Talos Principle
Luftrausers
OlliOlli
Jazzpunk
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Endless Legend
The Banner Saga
Kero Blaster
Legend of Grimrock 2
Nidhogg
Super Time Force Ultra
Door Kickers
Lovely Planet
Mini Metro
Kentucky Route Zero Act 3
Dungeon of the Endless
Broken Age
Divinity: Original Sin
Scrolls
This War of Mine
Freedom Planet
Crimsonland HD
Echo of the Wilds
Elliot Quest
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Towerfall: Ascension
You have to Win the Game
Infested Planet
Hatoful Boyfriend
Lyne
NaissanceE
TRI: Of Friendship and Madness
Lethal League
1001 Spikes
Sunless Sea
The Floor is Jelly
The Journey Down Chapter 2
Fract
Sportsfriends
Eidolon
Ultimate Space Commando
Cubesis
Never Alone
A Bird Story
Castle Doctrine

Now, same as last year. We need blurbs for each of these. As soon as we have all the texts, I can put up the "IndieGAF recommends..." thread.

I'd like to keep it in the style of last years thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766928

...so the layout would be:

[b]Name[/b] - Price (Platform1, Platform2...)
[quote][IMG]PIC1[/img][img]PIC2[/img][/quote]
[URL]LINK[/URL]

[i]DESCRIPTION TEXT GOES HERE[/i]

[B]Defining Moment: [/B] DESCRIBE ONE MOMENT WHY THIS GAME STUCK WITH YOU OR A SINGLE STANDOUT FEATURE

Example:

Fjords - $7 (PC)
N8mBj3P.jpg
cbHDfRo.gif
https://gumroad.com/l/FJORDS

Similar to the more famous Starseed Pilgrim, this game revolves around exploring not only a world, but also the rules of this world. Additionally, it allows you to hack into this world itself and carve your own way. How much you'll like this game hinges entirely on your mindset regarding exploring a world at your own pace, but if you do like these kind of experiences, it doesnt get much better than Fjords, which in my opinion also outshines the more famous Starseed Pilgrim.

Defining moment: Finding out how you can bend the world to your will and progressing from a state of feeling helpless in a dangerous world, to a world in which you are making the rules.

I am going to cross off the games we already have of the list, so lets see how long it will take us to finish that list.

That's in rank order? Sure is an eclectic mix, everything from Transistor and Shovel Knight to Lyne and Castle Doctrine. Not as many freeware games as last year though

Toma

That's in rank order? Sure is an eclectic mix, everything from Transistor and Shovel Knight to Lyne and Castle Doctrine. Not as many freeware games as last year though

Yep, rank order, but I wouldnt want to dwell on the ranking itself too much. We purposefully decided not to give it official ranks to avoid any rank discussion and we'll post it alphabetically.

daydream

Banned
Seems like most of my top 20 made it in, yay! Only see Card City Nights, Heroine's Quest, Black Ice and Icarus missing which is fine. Really glad Mini Metro and Kero Blaster made it.

Damn good list, gentlemen.

Seems like most of my top 20 made it in, yay! Only see Card City Nights, Heroine's Quest, Black Ice and Icarus missing which is fine. Really glad Mini Metro and Kero Blaster made it.

Damn good list, gentlemen.
Sure is. Great to see that Infested Planet, Sunless Sea, and Door Kickers made it

Top Bottom