• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGAF Community GOTY Voting

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ok, I'll do Proteus. I haven't played the other two :\. Can I ask what the format is?

[b]NAME[/b] - Free Demo (if available)/PRICE (PLATFORMS)
[quote][img]PICTURE1[/img][img]PICTURE2[/img][/quote]
[url="LINK"]LINK[/url]

[i]DESCRIPTION[/i]

[U]Defining moment:[/U] EXEMPLARY GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE THAT SHOWS WHY THIS GAME NEEDS TO BE CHECKED OUT.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think you need a new Guacamelee screenshot, the current one is either from a beta or (more likely) a gameplay mock-up.

Can you post 2 different ones? I'll exchange them in the Guacamelee post for the thread then. I'll notice the post is a bit weird anyway, because it only has 1 screenshot.

Guacamelee - $14.99 (Windows, PS3, Vita)

http://guacamelee.com/

If you're a Metroidvania and you don't have a little Mexican in you, but you would like some, then Guacamelee is the game for you. Explore the world of the living and the realm of the undead as an agave farmer/luchador on a quest to rescue the love of his life and the world itself from eternal damnation. Combat makes great use of wrestling maneuvers and feels smooth, the referential humor is well done and the journey is of an acceptable length with plenty of secrets peppered throughout the world.

Defining moment: Guacamelee's defining moment is not really a moment at all. It's the fact that it's a Metroidvania that isn't set on an oppressive alien world of in the bowels of Castle Dracula. The game takes its setting, revels in the culture surrounding it, and makes an absolute celebration of itself. The melee-based hand-to-hand wrestling combat is also a breath of fresh air, as firing beams and swinging whips is something we've all done too many times to count in games like this.
I don't understand this Guacamelee screen. My health bar didn't look like that and I don't remember this place or enemies at all. I'm confused.

EDIT: Never mind, this has been explained above.

Got it. Thanks!

ss_2dfcc00057c01771af3f0bacdfc1b0fdde7e190c.1920x1080.jpg
ss_622e2336ef1723e51abd6bd03f3cde4342ec4d50.1920x1080.jpg

Two Guacamelee screens from the steam page.

Toma

Two Guacamelee screens from the steam page.

Thanks, I think we can finally put up the thread later today with some extra work.

Only thing I am still missing is the title. (other than Knock Knock and KRZ)

IndieGAF recommends: 50 Best Indies you should have played last year

?

Thanks, I think we can finally put up the thread later today with some extra work.

Only thing I am still missing is the title. (other than Knock Knock and KRZ)

IndieGAF recommends: 50 Best Indies you should have played last year

?
IndieGAF recommends: 50 Best 2013 Indies You Should Have Played
IndieGAF recommends: 50 Best Indies of 2013

I like " Best Indies of 2013" because then it could easily become a series ( Best Indies of 2014, of 2015, etc.). And it's less wordy

I just hope the thread doesn't get swept away too soon. We did a lot of work here! The Indie > AAA thread has lasted nicely though

Proteus - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, Vita)
http://www.visitproteus.com/

If you step into Proteus' world looking for a goal to accomplish then you might be disappointed (or not ;)). Instead, take some time to look at the beautiful world that has been created just for you (via procedural generation). As you explore the island, take note of the gorgeous vistas, the indigenous animals and the mysterious stone formations. Listen to the sounds the world makes - abstract enough to not truly sound familiar, but thought through carefully enough to sound fitting.

Defining moment: The first time you see the sun pulsing in the sky making a ringing sound that signifies a season change from Spring to Summer. Whether you realize the season has changed or not, you'll probably stand in awe looking at the sun having taken a slightly different form than it just had and once you do realize the season has changed you wonder - will I get to see Autumn? And Winter?

Toma

Alright, "IndieGAF recommends: 50 Best Indies of 2013" it is then, thanks for the comments. Now we are only missing KRZ and Knock Knock. I think Knock Knock was a Messof favourite, but I'll try to scratch something together from PR blurbs later. I really finally want the thread to be up.

Toma

I like this one, keeps it simple and phrases like 'you should have played last year' implies that the games listed are hidden gems while many of the games listed are fairly mainstream.
Random aside, I wouldnt necessarily say that. I'd feel rather confident with a bet that maybe 5% of all people clicking the thread might have played more than 15 games from that list.

A bit unfortunate that we cant measure it, but I think the fact that we are scraping so many indies from visibility hell might mislead our perception of the "bigger" indie games a bit :p

daydream

Banned
Edit: Woops, thought I was in editing mode. Anyway, we're almost done now!

Kentucky Route Zero - $24,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
http://www.kentuckyroutezero.com/

With only two episodes out, Kentucky Route Zero has already established itself as one of the most lauded narrative experiences of 2013. The story of Conway, the truck driver, and his odyssey through the dark, surreal streets and lanes of Kentucky is a mysterious, "magic-realistic" wonder. It manages to pull in the player like few games do, as you stumble from one encounter to the next, baffled and perplexed, bewildered and reverent. Two (free) mini-episodes, titled 'Limits and Demonstrations' and 'The Entertainment', set between episode 1 and 2 respectively, offer further material to immerse yourself in. Enthrallingly written and beautifully realised, Kentucky Route Zero is well on its way to becoming a modern classic of the genre.

Defining moment: The opening scene at the gas station. Right away you get the feeling that this game is special - the atmosphere, the look, the dialogue - and right away, the game substantiates this feeling of yours. You'll fall in love right there and then.

Toma

I'm itching to see this thread!

Well, its going to be the same content anyway :p

But yeah, I am also curious how people take to it. I'll start working on it now, though it will still likely take me 2-3 hours to get everything in here. Check back here later for the link.

Well, its going to be the same content anyway :p

But yeah, I am also curious how people take to it. I'll start working on it now, though it will still likely take me 2-3 hours to get everything in here. Check back here later for the link.
Toma-bot wouldn't work with this thread?

Toma

Toma-bot wouldn't work with this thread?

No, because we used different formatting. Reprogramming would have taken longer than just doing it by hand.

The text that you have entered is too long (68191 characters). Please shorten it to 24000 characters long.

lol

I have the game impressions posts done now, but I'll still need to do some tinkering now for some thread content and I still need to write up the opening post. Might not be up before tomorrow.

Top Bottom