• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Minigolf (Zen Studios)

Memory

Briefly played docked mode, seemed like 1080p and 30fps. Undocked it‘s still smooth but doesn’t look like 720p. Had 2 crashes in ~4 hours of playtime.

Game itself is quite fun, not the usual Golf It! or Golf With Your Friends. It’s more about power ups and stuff than getting a hole in one, which does boost your points though. Winner get‘s decided by points, but there is a classic mode for multiplayer iirc.

Controls are a little bit weird. You use your left thumbstick to aim and right thumbstick to choose the power level. The travel distance of neutral to top of the thumbstick equals 0% to 100% shot power, which is really flimsy, especially with the small JoyCon thumbsticks. Sometimes it registers decreasing the power level as letting go of the thumbstick and shoots, which is a little bit frustrating.

Thanks.

Hasney

Briefly played docked mode, seemed like 1080p and 30fps. Undocked it‘s still smooth but doesn't look like 720p. Had 2 crashes in ~4 hours of playtime.

Game itself is quite fun, not the usual Golf It! or Golf With Your Friends. It's more about power ups and stuff than getting a hole in one, which does boost your points though. Winner get‘s decided by points, but there is a classic mode for multiplayer iirc.

Controls are a little bit weird. You use your left thumbstick to aim and right thumbstick to choose the power level. The travel distance of neutral to top of the thumbstick equals 0% to 100% shot power, which is really flimsy, especially with the small JoyCon thumbsticks. Sometimes it registers decreasing the power level as letting go of the thumbstick and shoots, which is a little bit frustrating.

Thats so weird. I was going through some random Gamecube games and bought Swingerz Golf for a quid and that used the right stick swing (on the awful c stick of all things!). Went exactly the same way too.

Kovacs

Briefly played docked mode, seemed like 1080p and 30fps. Undocked it‘s still smooth but doesn't look like 720p. Had 2 crashes in ~4 hours of playtime.

Game itself is quite fun, not the usual Golf It! or Golf With Your Friends. It's more about power ups and stuff than getting a hole in one, which does boost your points though. Winner get‘s decided by points, but there is a classic mode for multiplayer iirc.

Would you say it's enough to tide me as a non-sim portable golf game until the next Mario Golf? The trailer looked caught my interest, but there seems to be no buzz about it at all.

Edit: Found this on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGPIbnlY9QE - User, Shane Monroe has posted 48 minutes of Switch gameplay,

tebunker

Banned
I heard Wombat talking about this on the Cagcast. Him describing the shot mechanics sounded horrible. I actually like it when done right, as opposed to the poster above I feel like Swigerz managed it well.

There needs to be sensitivity settings so you can manage the swings better. Wombat made it sound like a lot came to dumb luck, getting an Ace on hole and an 8 the next.

I am interested in this kind of game but would like to see an update first.

tyler

Can you play this local multiplayer where you watch the other person play? I've only seen multiplayer vids where everyone is on course at the same time, maybe online multi like this though.

And can I create my own course and play this local multiplayer too?

MattAces

Can you play this local multiplayer where you watch the other person play? I've only seen multiplayer vids where everyone is on course at the same time, maybe online multi like this though.

And can I create my own course and play this local multiplayer too?

Yes for courses, you can create 9 holes and make it a playlist. I believe you can activate passing controller mode too, where each people have their own turn. You can also have random balls mode/enable ball collision. There's quite a decent amount of customization for a match and a whole lot of stuff to build with course editor. Three themes offering different props.

got it on steam with friends. its great fun. its good the courses are random on local multiplayer out of courses people made....

however..

"for the achievment" levels kept appearing, which was a blank course with a hole.

it got annoying.

tyler

Found a few a bugs in the PS4 version. If you have ball collision turned on in multiplayer and you get knocked out of bounds then your next turn will start with you out of bounds and it lets you swing but the ball either doesn't move or moves but then resets to where you were. I.e. Out of bounds until you max out your shots.

Anyone had this on other versions?

It feels unfinished, especially the audio design or lack of it. There's no sound for the ball rolling and hardly any acknowledgement/fanfare when the ball goes in the hole.

Hopefully patches are coming as the game good fun and there's potential with more environments to come hopefully.

Robin64

It definitely feels very early, but it has promise for sure.

I hope we get a "normal" tileset, too. You know, normal outdoor minigolf, with green turf etc.

Sh0k

Anyone knows why this game was taken out of the NA eshop. Wanted to buy the game but is nowhere to be found.

Considering getting this. I am not a golf fan, but I used to play Sim Golf on PC and really enjoyed it. Is this in any way similar?

Edit: should add that I am looking at the Switch version. How is it?

Sh0k

Considering getting this. I am not a golf fan, but I used to play Sim Golf on PC and really enjoyed it. Is this in any way similar?

Edit: should add that I am looking at the Switch version. How is it?

I'm waiting fir Nintendo to put the game back in the eShop to buy it, they took the game down over a week ago to fix the ESRB ratings and accordingly to Zen Studios was a quick fix, but still not up. The game looks fun.

Robin64

I'm waiting fir Nintendo to put the game back in the eShop to buy it, they took the game down over a week ago to fix the ESRB ratings and accordingly to Zen Studios was a quick fix, but still not up. The game looks fun.

Wait, seriously? I assumed it would be back up overnight. Wow...

I just checked the eshop, it is available to buy here. I am in Poland, I think our eshop is the same as the UK and the rest of Europe?

Still undecided on whether to buy it, it is 60zl, and Sonic Mania is 80zl. Will only buy one or the other this week..

Sh0k

I just checked the eshop, it is available to buy here. I am in Poland, I think our eshop is the same as the UK and the rest of Europe?

Still undecided on whether to buy it, it is 60zl, and Sonic Mania is 80zl. Will only buy one or the other this week..

This is only in the NA eShop, I guess somebody made a course in the shape of a boob or a penis and Nintendo freaked out... that ESRB rating is a joke.

Robin64

Sonic Mania is much much better, but this is a fun little game too. Definitely don't get it over Sonic, but do keep it mind.

Shiggy

Buy Sonic from the Russian eShop (43zl) and Infinite Minigolf from the Japanese eShop (53zl) - then you can get both this week.

Robin64

Just had an update on Switch, downloaded a new set of DLC called Tortuga. It's a Carribean pirate themed set, really nice!

2s73jAy.jpg

EDarkness

Just had an update on Switch, downloaded a new set of DLC called Tortuga. It's a Carribean pirate themed set, really nice!

Gotta admit, that character looks pretty awesome. I don't even own the game and not interested in non-motion golf, but I almost want to get it just to look at that character. Ha, ha!

Robin64

How is this game selling? The state of this thread does not instill me with confidence on that front.

Yeah, given it's a) multiplatform and b) Zen Studios, there seems to be a general lack of giving a shit about this one.

It's a decent game, too.

Yeah, given it's a) multiplatform and b) Zen Studios, there seems to be a general lack of giving a shit about this one.

They should have stuck to their Pinball strategy of "Free-to-Start" and then charge for the extra courses. I'm on record earlier in the thread complaining about the visual design and wackiness but I still would like to try the game. Unfortunately there is no demo and the lowest the game has been is $13.49. According to Steam, the all-time peak current players is only 19.

Does ps4 version give you the VR version as well or are they separate purchases on ps4?

It's one purchase. I was somewhat disappointed in the game. I should've guessed how it would turn out as I am no fan of Zen's unrealistic pinball tables. I know it's pretty dumb of a complaint, but I would've much rather had a realistic looking and playing mini-golf game (VR or not). I actually think that would be fun (especially in VR).

RedStep

This is 30% off ($10.49 US) on Xbox One this week.

It's... interesting. It's fun to plink around with, but the physics can make simple things like a 2-inch putt knock the ball back down to the start. I haven't had trouble finishing courses, but it can be more a war of attrition than anything.

ckohler

The game is pretty good. It's not amazing but it's simple and enjoyable if you want to kill time. I'm playing it in PSVR and it's one of the better looking PSVR games (a very sharp and clear image) and it plays with scale a lot which is fun (sometimes you are giant and others you are tiny). The free pirate DLC is nice and unexpected.

It looks like there will be a sci-fi themed course coming as well.

Robin64

The physics are definitely wonky, and being able to tell where your ball will end up because of that is a pain. I wouldn't mind an overhaul of the gameplay.

Also, the new free DLC is out, Hangar 37.

Top Bottom