• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward 'Ends Racism' By Erasing "OK" Hand Gesture From Call Of Duty

keraj37

source

Video game developer Infinity Ward has officially ended racism by removing the “OK” hand gesture emote from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
030720call.jpg

Stunning and brave.
“After plastering “BLACK LIVES MATTER” in capitalized bold text across every loading screen and delaying the launch of Season 4 for a week seemingly failed to end racism on a global scale, it appears that Infinity Ward have removed the OK emote from the game,” reports National File.
The company didn’t publicly acknowledge the change, but numerous Twitter users noticed the deadly hand sign’s absence from the game.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Have you heard of Four Chan?

Yeah, I found this on NY Times:

It started in early 2017 as a hoax. Some users of 4chan, an anonymous and unrestricted online message board, began what they called “Operation O-KKK,” to see if they could trick the wider world — and especially liberals and the mainstream media — into believing that the innocuous gesture was actually a clandestine symbol of white power.

But even knowing that, the author goes on to take it seriously anyway:

The 4chan hoax succeeded all too well, and ceased being a hoax: Neo-Nazis, Ku Klux Klansmen and other white nationalists began using the gesture in public to signal their presence and to spot potential sympathizers and recruits. For them, the letters formed by the hand were not O and K, but W and P, for “white power.”

The gesture is not the only symbol to have been appropriated and swiftly weaponized by alt-right internet trolls. The Southern Poverty Law Center has identified memes featuring the hoax religion of Kek and the cartoon character Pepe the Frog, among others, as being at the forefront of white nationalists’ efforts to distract and infuriate liberals.

(I enjoy the hidden implication that it’s white nationalists who’d be most interested in infuriating liberals.)

Boss Mog

You forgot the "d" at the end of Ward in the title OP and it had me all condused with "what does the MCU have to do with CoD?".

Stupidity on the part of the devs and I guess 4chan are the ones laughing hard, they managed to take a common positive gesture and cancel it by trolling.

Last edited:
Yeah, I found this on NY Times:

But even knowing that, the author goes on to take it seriously anyway:

(I enjoy the hidden implication that it’s white nationalists who’d be most interested in infuriating liberals.)
Morons like these fell for it and, rather than hold their hands up, just made up a bunch of shit to try and save face. Incredibly embarrassing for them on all counts.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Its crazy the power SJW's still hold over these billion dollar companies. They are scared stiff of em.
I think you've got it backwards: the execs at these companies support the movements and embrace the opportunity to show off their brands virtue by using and reusing the same inexpensive advertising methods brave and stunning corporate displays of support.

INC

Getting silly now, I bet most people dont even realise it was even remotely used for racism by certain groups

So now you've just given it more power.....GG.

Stuart360

When you think about how some people on 4chan can pull off a mindfuck like this imagine what an intelligence agency or media outlet can do.
It seems so easy to manipulate and brainwash humans as well, its scary to think about. I can only imagine how many times we have been manipulated over the years, without even realizing.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Wait? People paid for this and then it has been removed?

Better cancel divers too

AdobeStock_62701813-1068x712.jpeg

Also it got wildly conflated with this

All in all, I salute 4ch. It's probably the biggest troll I've ever seen that made it mainstream. Basically, the emote has become the universal 'teabagging' of this generation. Sometimes I wish people making these decisions actually understood the sub cultures. Maybe that's why gaming is going down the pan.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Their audience will surely support this.

How many woke point are they getting with this one? We need a table for reference.

Last edited:

MarkyG

Fuck me. Legit thought this was a late April Fool's. What has this world become? We used this when we were kids. Absolute lunacy.

sobaka770

Banned
From my perspective this only gives more credence to White Supremacists who can claim it as a victory by appropriating a harmless sign and now validated by major studio caving to pressure.

It's creepy and sad. Now they can come for everything: how about finger-strumming guitar is a white power symbol next?

Hawke502

I think we need a new operation ok, but with something like a genre of games. Like "WRPGs are white supremacist"

Top Bottom