• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward quietly adds 120fps to Call of Duty: Warzone on Xbox Series X - but not PS5

On console I wonder what type of advantage that will lead to. Or will it amount to nothing.

On a PC, that's huge with a mouse and keyboard.
You'll have less input lag and twice as much information displayed over 60hz. There's a difference for sure, I'd bet for the average console player though, it's not gonna mean very much. You won't magically play better at higher framerates, but it definitely help a bit. But it's still limited by what the settings allow for controllers. It'd make a much bigger difference as far as gameplay is concerned with a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
The PS5 can already run this game at 120 fps,just go into settings and change to performance mode,this game runs at 60 fps by default,you have to change the settings to run in 120 fps.

cragarmi

PS5 was missing out on 120fps games support already for few games and now this one gets added to that list.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...y-warzone-on-xbox-series-x-doesnt-tell-anyone
Ok the short answer- can PS4 BC support 120fps?, yes it can as VR is supported and 120fps is a target option along with 90fps, but it requires some work to implement. Can it be enabled in a patch?, yes it is possible to hide mods from the Pro model, which are active on PS5, see Ghost of Tsushima, and Days gone. But if your going back to you code anyway, you may as well customise things more, and roll out another update. Given Warzones popularity I can see them releasing a new standalone PS5 version, likely free to play or free on PS+, which can tie into Cold war, similar to how Rockstar are treating GTA online.

Pallas

So I take it that Microsoft has put in more effort into their BC then the competition. I mean it’s awesome that it got the 120fps support in Warzone, they are really serious about BC and in a sense game preservation.

I don’t know why certain posters have to run and always downplay/defend their console of choice because it didn’t get the support for that particular game.

And yea Xbox fans are guilty of this at times too.

Pallas

The PS5 can already run this game at 120 fps,just go into settings and change to performance mode,this game runs at 60 fps by default,you have to change the settings to run in 120 fps.
PS5 can run Warzone at 120FPS? I thought it was only the newest CoD by Treyarch.

TheShocker

Tried it out on my series X a while ago. My tv only does 1440p @ 120hz, and I lose HDR, but damn is this smooth. Warzone is my go to BR game and I don’t know if I can go back to playing it at 4K60. Now I need to upgrade my TV. 😂

and just like that the Series X is back on top baby! :messenger_tears_of_joy: jk boys relax

That is pretty cool that they patched in a 120fps version. That Playstation BC thing is really dragging it down right now. Hopefully they can sort that shit out for those 120fps people.

“Quietly adds” lol was there supposed to be a big announcement? Sounds like something they’d just list in the patch notes to me.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If you have a 4K TV, there's a decent chance it does 120hz in at least 1080p. A lot of 4K TV owners don't know this, but will be discovering it soon. These are native 120hz sets after all. That's how all these TVs do the soap opera effect with motion interpolation.

This TCL TV does 120fps at 1080p and 1440p, and it's only $650.

Yep my LG OLED doesn’t have VRR or do 4K 120 but I can do 1080p 120 on it. I’ve been playing PUBG on it in 1080p60fps mode since the day the patch released instead of the *much* better looking 4K30fps because frame rate is king in shooters. Still haven’t tried Gears 5 in 120hz yet but will hopefully get time to give it a go tonight.

Mattyp

Gold Member
People here saying there will be a patch honestly have no idea how the PS5 runs backward compatibly, it is only ever able to run the game with the strength of the PS4 Pro unless they do a stand alone release for PS5 users.

This is why Microsofts bc was done so much better, and the people flinging shit at the start still can't understand the difference.

Mega_Deth

People here saying there will be a patch honestly have no idea how the PS5 runs backward compatibly, it is only ever able to run the game with the strength of the PS4 Pro unless they do a stand alone release for PS5 users.

This is why Microsofts bc was done so much better, and the people flinging shit at the start still can't understand the difference.

Incorrect as The Last Guardian, Assassin's Creed Unity, Just Cause 3 etc all run at frame rates far exceeding that of the PS4 Pro.

vwYiu3T.jpg

Last edited:

Banned

have you watched even a single video on backwards compatibility? the fuck are you talking about?

the actual reason why the PS5 doesn't support 120hz here is because the PS4 didn't support 120hz, and therefore PS4 backwards compatibility also doesn't support it.

the Xbox One S and One X did support 120hz, and so does Series X|S backwards compatibility.

very easy explaination really.

Last edited:
So I take it that Microsoft has put in more effort into their BC then the competition. I mean it’s awesome that it got the 120fps support in Warzone, they are really serious about BC and in a sense game preservation.
Overall the PS4 backward compat looks pretty awesome on the PS5, if you looked at the DF video on it you would not downplay Sony's approach (more games reach a locked, or pretty close to locked, 60fps with it, also games made before the PRO consoles were released were native 1080p on the PS4, so they look much better over the sub 900p one games as well as running better).

That 120fps thing is an outlier (nice to thave, but an outlier).

What you are left with is support for a couple of older gen games with better resolution and sometimes HDR (which is again nice to have, but far from proper BC... I mean, you can buy digital versions of enhanced PS2 games as well, no disc... but I suspect most people get the digital versions of OG and 360 games as opposed to their disc based BC versions). As you said, it's nice to have, but the reasons to "dismiss" the actual feature are pretty valid, it's mostly a PR point.

HTK

Banned
Considering Black Ops runs at 120 on PS5 we're a patch or big update on December 10th away from the same being the case in Warzone.

FALCON_KICK

My guess is that this has mostly to do with the fact that Microsoft added support 120Hz for Xbox One and Xbox One X at system level with the May 2018 update while Sony never added it for PS4 and PS4-Pro. Hence a simple patch for Xbox series X.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. I wasn't trying to correct you bro, just trying to add to what you where saying because I think a lot of people are leaving them out of this discussion thinking that consoles are synonymous with TV's. There are a whole lot of 120+hz 1080p monitors out there and IMO it's more likely that someone who was buying these for the 120fps modes would have or be able to afford one vs a MUCH more expensive compatible "next gen" TV.
I’m that someone. I just ordered a 1080p 144hz monitor last night. I’m not at all fussed about 4K as I have a TV for that if I need it but much prefer gaming on a monitor, even on a console.

My guess is that this has mostly to do with the fact that Microsoft added support 120Hz for Xbox One and Xbox One X at system level with the May 2018 update while Sony never added it for PS4 and PS4-Pro. Hence a simple patch for Xbox series X.

Yes, that's the point: hardware emulation is locked to the specs of the original hardware: PS4 and PS4 Pro DON'T support 120 fps

Last edited:

manfestival

Bro, apparently it doesn't matter because only 1% of pc gamers can even run it at 120fps. Going by that logic Raytracing doesn't matter either cause only .5% of gamers can take advantage of it. They can't keep getting away with adding features for rich people.
lol way to take an obviously bad joke way too serious.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
120 fps shooters still fucking suck with gamepads.
srsly racers would benefit. But shooters is such a wasted genre on it with gamepads (MKB is bliss at high refresh)

manfestival

I wasn't even going after your post, I was going after the guys downplaying features just because most people don't have access to them. On an enthusiast forum of all places, lol!
Yeah that is a totally fair point. You still quoted me to make a point to others so I was obviously going to respond since that wasn't indicated in the post.

Finally got my c9 to do 120 after I found out I needed to unplug the tv for 60 seconds after the latest software update.

conclusion: its not that big of a deal

Mega_Deth

Ahhh I see. So it was a firmware update on the original consoles. Could Sony add 120Hz Support for the PS4/Pro or would it be too late now?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That’s the third game that plays significantly better on XSX compared to PS5.
Honestly, wouldn’t have thought that the difference could be that big and that it would be so fast.
I thought we would have to wait until the full nextgen games that make use of all RDNA 2.0 features arrive, since PS5 does not support all RDNA 2.0 features, whereas XBOX does.

This has nothing to do with RDNA2. This is because of Warzone running in BC PS4 Pro mode. We are not talking about Coldwar that has 120fps on PS5.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yes and 60fps is fine too

If you can't get 120 fps then yeah around 60 fps is the limit before the game really runs like shit.

Being in 2020 and still talking about 30 fps really makes it feels like console gaming really hasn't evolved at all.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
If you can't get 120 fps then yeah around 60 fps is the limit before the game really runs like shit.

Being in 2020 and still talking about 30 fps really makes it feels like console gaming really hasn't evolved at all.
If its run like shit to you or you see consoles hasn't evolved at all ... well , my answer is I don't care about all of that as long as I enjoy my time.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If its run like shit to you or you see consoles hasn't evolved at all ... well , my answer is I don't care about all of that as long as I enjoy my time.

And that opinion is totally fine. People enjoy things different, and there's no right or wrong.

WildBoy

Incorrect as The Last Guardian, Assassin's Creed Unity, Just Cause 3 etc all run at frame rates far exceeding that of the PS4 Pro.

vwYiu3T.jpg

Majority are if you play them unpatched off the disc* with all the other issues the patches would have fixed? No thanks.

Pallas

Overall the PS4 backward compat looks pretty awesome on the PS5, if you looked at the DF video on it you would not downplay Sony's approach (more games reach a locked, or pretty close to locked, 60fps with it, also games made before the PRO consoles were released were native 1080p on the PS4, so they look much better over the sub 900p one games as well as running better).

That 120fps thing is an outlier (nice to thave, but an outlier).

What you are left with is support for a couple of older gen games with better resolution and sometimes HDR (which is again nice to have, but far from proper BC... I mean, you can buy digital versions of enhanced PS2 games as well, no disc... but I suspect most people get the digital versions of OG and 360 games as opposed to their disc based BC versions). As you said, it's nice to have, but the reasons to "dismiss" the actual feature are pretty valid, it's mostly a PR point.
You can say one company put more effort into BC without downplaying the other company. BC will always be a big point for me in particular and I’m glad both consoles are utilizing it in varying degrees.

Top Bottom