• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Then no one outside of gaming enthusiasts will be buying on Next Gen.

This is a very good point. If you don't care about graphics why the hell are you even buying a Xbox One in the first place?

Vizzeh

Banned
Gonna play devils advocate here
Anyone found anymore info on the hardware upscaler, if the ps4 will output a poorer picture when upscaled compared to X1's hardware version..

Im glad the ps4 has the power in general, my only flaw the last couple of days is of a concern further down the road IF resolutions drop slightly across the board to make room for ridiculous graphics (even tho they will still mature a shed load at 1080p)will we have issues like the blur, sharpness, input lag (because the tv does the scaling)

I know BF4 is unfinished and will likely be different come launch anyway, some issue to sort and half of this question could be redundant by then.

EGM1966

Not getting drawn into the PS4/XB1 stuff but I think Activision/CoD guys made the right move here. Better to be transparent and open vs a lot of uncertainty.

Man though - I've been surprised GAF has actually stayed available over last few days.

JB1981

Why would anyone buy this on Xbone when they can play it on 360 at slightly lower resolution with a more reliable XBL system

Killer Instinct or Titanfall?

Because KI looks fucking crazy and 60 is basically a requirement. I get the feeling they're real time constrained for launch though and started real late. Bang up job by Double Helix so far though

why is it 720p? what is it doing that would make us expect it to need to run at 720p? why are all these 60 fps Xbox One games using deferred rendering running at 720p?

I'm not knocking it, but it's a 1 vs 1 fighting game. However you feel about COD aesthetically, it's doing way more isn't it? What impressive next gen thing does KI do that justifies 720p?

I haven't been keeping up on footage of it, so I may just not have seen the really impressive stuff. But I doubt anything I see is going to explain why it needs to run at the same resolution and frame rate as Battlefield 4.

last gen fighting games were regularly 720p native and 60 fps. online multiplayer titles with dozens of players in large maps? pretty much never.

I can't believe people really give a shit about this when it comes to a COD game, for as long as it's 60fps it really doesn't matter. They're not winning awards for graphics any time soon anyway.

Jack_AG

Banned
Hryb was right. The truth is coming out. That being said I don't think anyone should be happy with Ghosts... It is barely passable as a launch title, IMO.

Still - will wait for Hryb's technical breakdown blog post showing major advantages to the X1. Making popcorn as I type.

Next GEN.......

this is unacceptable holy shit ghosts doesn't even look that great and they cant get it run native 1080p on the xbone??

HOLY SHIT..

Well, all they need to do to have parity is turn up the sharpness and crush those blacks. Next gen filter effect right there.
/bitter /s

That's pretty disappointing. Thank goodness I'm not getting a 'Bone for multiplats.

If all (most) of the exclusives end up lower than 1080 (possible, but I really hope not), I'll have to move my couch back.

Reason: Xbox 720
VDAVY9I.png

Not even 900p, what in the actual fuck? I would like an explanation for this. Remind me to care about cod when the game looks like this:
gdc_172912.jpg

In 20 years..... maybe?

Gonna play devils advocate here
Anyone found anymore info on the hardware upscaler, if the ps4 will output a poorer picture when upscaled compared to X1's hardware version..

Im glad the ps4 has the power in general, my only flaw the last couple of days is of a concern further down the road IF resolutions drop slightly across the board to make room for ridiculous graphics (even tho they will still mature a shed load at 1080p)will we have issues like the blur, sharpness, input lag (because the tv does the scaling)

I know BF4 is unfinished and will likely be different come launch anyway, some issue to sort and half of this question could be redundant by then.

But Ghosts is 1080p native on PS4 - what upscaling?

rjinaz

Glad Albert will finally find out now.

I wonder what his reaction would be. He said it clearly looks the same.

So can we finally say he is a bullshit ?

Well that's still kind of subjective, him saying they look the same. There are people that swear they cannot tell the difference between the two, and they mean it. It also depends on the display device and it's size, etc. As we saw yesterday, settings such as contrast and sharpening can also play a factor.

Personally, I feel he was being dishonest or even lying. He flat out said there would be no real difference between the two systems. Still, him saying they LOOK the same is subjective.

viveks86

One thing is clear. Game devs have a lot more integrity than some of us have given them credit for. There is no 'gimping' going on here. They are making the best of what they've got. As tools and techniques improve, things will get better for both platforms. The gap may or may not widen. But that's a different topic.

I'm gonna put on my tinfoil hat on for this post.

We know that there is bad blood between activision and respawn and the relationship between activision and Microsoft don't seem too strong these days either. What if Activision didn't like the fact that Microsoft was getting really close with EA, and got especially pissed when they moneyhatted Titanfall, and is now doing everything they can to damage the Xbox brand so titanfall doesn't become a success? After all, its curious that this news would be released right after it was announced that Titanfall has become a xbox exclusive. I mean, they've been evasive before, and rumor has it that they were working to improve the resolution before launch, but suddenly they just go out and announce this huge difference? Very interesting timing.

Although, maybe i'm just overthinking these things too much.

After seeing BF4 on both console's i am surprised infinity ward didn't go all out.
To me it looks exactly the same can't see any changes still gonna get it though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PS3 has 518,400 pixels (assuming 960x540)
PS4 has 2,073 600 pixels

360 has 624,000 pixels (assuming 1040x600)
Xbone has 921,600 pixels

We know that there is bad blood between activision and respawn and the relationship between activision and Microsoft don't seem too strong these days either. What if Activision didn't like the fact that Microsoft was getting really close with EA, and got especially pissed when they moneyhatted Titanfall, and is now doing everything they can to damage the Xbox brand so titanfall doesn't become a success? After all, its curious that this news would be released right after it was announced that Titanfall has become a xbox exclusive. I mean, they've been evasive before, and rumor has it that they were working to improve the resolution before launch, but suddenly they just go out and announce this huge difference? Very interesting timing.

0073_9x6v.gif

n385055

Banned
The real problem with Ghost is that even in 4k this title would look like a current gen title. So yeah, it's basically a pity running the game in 720p instead of 1080p, but no big loss pretty honestly speaking.

Is this the difference between 1080 and 720? Want to know what this gif is showing:

KGiODTF.gif

It'll be even uglier than that.

Anyone who has an FPS on their computer and a 1080p monitor can put said game on a 720p setting for 5 minutes, then switch to 1080p resolution. Difference tends to be fucking shocking.

this makes no sense financially for them.

Disappointing, but better to be at 720p and run smoothly than 1080p and run like crap, I suppose.

This! I would take stable frame rate over resolution any day. The PC version will be the best, so that's the version I'll get anyway. All the Xbox One bottlenecks are really starting to show their true colors.

Top Bottom