• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward 'Ends Racism' By Erasing "OK" Hand Gesture From Call Of Duty

GymWolf

well, i bet he will be the next one, you had a good run, boromir son of denethor

478s8i.jpg

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am sorry to all my western buddies in here, but fucking NUKE THE WEST. Where does this shit ends?!

Gerdav

I am eagerly awaiting the first reports of woke imbeciles, and how a completely empty room where the walls are painted white is racist and offends them.

TheGrat1

Ironically, this is the opposite of what action should be taken to combat it's used as a racist symbol. You should be using this symbol with counter movements. Black lives matter should use it. Gay rights should use it. Inclusive organization should use it. Anti-Confederates should use it. Take the meaning of the symbol back. This is like the swastika, a 10000 year-old symbol that was co-opted by a regime that existed for less than 20 years. Start associating the swastika with its original meaning, good will, and do not let these people you consider filled with hate to own it. That is the most effective way to combat it.
Banning it gives them power over you.

I’m still unclear on whether the OK gesture is really a secret signal for racists or if that’s just an urban legend blown up by current hysteria.
I think youre suppose do it upside down. Which I remember in middle school was a way to call you a f****t.

Anyways alot of companies are overcorrecting. Alot of you spazz out when they do. Its just companies trying to get on top of things before they have a bad PR situation. Everything will be fine.

93xfan

Banned
Its crazy the power SJW's still hold over these billion dollar companies. They are scared stiff of em.

I think they see that there is no forgiveness from many of them, so they better stay off their radar altogether.

Glad they finally got around to removing racist usernames though. At least they’re doing one smart thing.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Just pure ridiculous. Covid-19 seems to affect the mentality of the general public. People have too much time on their hands now. Lots of people love to be the victim.

Also this so called "call out" culture. It's like you get cool points for ratting people out. Back in my day snitches got stitches. I guess people forgot how to mind their own damn business.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because 4 Chan pretended it was for a joke and idiots actually fell for it.
LOL. The people posting content like the OK symbol are geniuses. They know when to troll. The people who believe it have an IQ less than a radish.

So how the hell has White Castle lasted this long? A burger chain about White people owning slaves building castles. They must have some great PR to stay out of the limelight.

After the /pol/ played their game of capture the flag a few years ago I came to the understanding that there is nothing they can't do if you can somehow rouse their collective attention.

God help you if you do.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
EAL1TTLWsAA2Pya.jpg

They all fell for it as expected. IW’s just late to the party.
Easiest people to trick. Never seen a group of people so easy to influence.

Tell them to eat turds and drink piss, so it'll turn their skin dark or yellow like a Black or Asian guy and they'd do it.

Casanova

Although starting as a hoax on 4chan, tt has actually been adopted by white supremacist groups. I've seen it in my home town, on the back of trucks with rebel flags, etc. It's the classic, "let's fool the lefts" bullshit, which got picked up by the actual morons of the white supremacy, then the left caught on to it - and now, these neckbeard 4chan trolls can say that their plan worked into tricking them. Not the case at all, and is a flaw in logic. It IS used as a symbol of hate currently, so they're not wrong. Besides, have any of you actually played the game? I've been called the N-word online four thousand times - and that was before I had BLM as my clan tag. Now it's nearly every game. It's rampant in the CoD community. Always has been.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Although starting as a hoax on 4chan, tt has actually been adopted by white supremacist groups. I've seen it in my home town, on the back of trucks with rebel flags, etc. It's the classic, "let's fool the lefts" bullshit, which got picked up by the actual morons of the white supremacy, then the left caught on to it - and now, these neckbeard 4chan trolls can say that their plan worked into tricking them. Not the case at all, and is a flaw in logic. It IS used as a symbol of hate currently, so they're not wrong. Besides, have any of you actually played the game? I've been called the N-word online four thousand times - and that was before I had BLM as my clan tag. Now it's nearly every game. It's rampant in the CoD community. Always has been.
A-OK sign is not a hate symbol. It's only hateful if someone is actually using it in that context on purpose, and for what? The past 2 years? Pretty sure if my dad gave me an A-OK sign it doesn't mean "White Power!" So grow up.

And who cares if people playing Call of Duty call you a nigger? I've been called that too (along with other stupidity, including people sending me messages) and I'm not even Black.

If you don't want to hear dumb shit in shooters, put your voice/comm settings on private, friends only, or mute them all.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

What's funny is that the gesture is actually used by the military in combat as a hand symbol when silence is key, so by removing it the game is also killing any sense of realism it might be going for

At work we rely on hand gestures because there requirements for hearing protection to be worn at all times. Large diesel machines are louder than people shouting so it kind of makes sense.

OK:messenger_ok: is a pretty common one I've seen for over 20 years. When placing things with a telehandler or crane I need to see that hand gesture before I retract the boom and move on the the next piece. It's easy to make out at a distance and can't be confused for other hand gestures. Thumbs-up can be confused for "raise boom" or "tilt mast back" so once something is placed I wait for the racist white power signal before I retract the boom.

It's actually impressive how retarded people are becoming that this 4chan prank actually caught on. On the bright side most of the dipshits that gobble this shit up so readily don't tend to breed.

Milk was also labeled racist after another 4Chan prank gained traction. Some mental gymnastics were involved by some brainlets and it became a "real issue".

National parks were labeled racist too because in a country that's 70% white people, 70% of the people using the parks are white.

Casanova

A-OK sign is not a hate symbol. It's only hateful if someone is actually using it in that context on purpose, and for what? The past 2 years? Pretty sure if my dad gave me an A-OK sign it doesn't mean "White Power!" So grow up.

And who cares if people playing Call of Duty call you a nigger? I've been called that too (along with other stupidity, including people sending me messages) and I'm not even Black.

If you don't want to hear dumb shit in shooters, put your voice/comm settings on private, friends only, or mute them all.

My point is that racism exists and IW can/should do what they can to limit it and not promote it (through whatever means, symbolism or not). If what this symbol represents is racist or used within racist groups, so be it. Pretty simple really. The triggered ones are the ones who are actually upset about them taking away an A-OK symbol in their game. Fragility at the core.

Top Bottom