• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Unreal: In-depth look at PS5's Lumen in the land Of Nanite demo(only 6.14gb of geometry) and Deep dive into Nanite

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the release of The Matrix do fans still believe that UE5 nanite tech won't run on PC and XSS/X without reducing quality or using an elevator? Or that lumens uses the secret power of the Tempest Engine? Or that the 2020 Ps5 UE5 demo won't run on the PC or XSS/X or would require enormous amount of ram and need super fast SSD/IO?

Everything released/published/spoken by UE engineers and developers since the PS5 demo has proved that there weren't fast streaming going on at all and that PC would actually run the demo better at high resolution and fps without a super fast ssd and without direct storage/ rtx IO.

Is there anyone still spreading the god tier ssd/io misinformation? Heck even the Matrix just loads 1 second faster on the PS5... Remember this was the engine that was supposedly "changed to take full advantage of the PS5 god tier ssd/io"

Direct api will be needed for UE5 nanite tech, maybe they could create a very large RAM stream pool or just cut down on asset quality, or maybe you insert elevators and doors ?

Papacheeks Papacheeks PaintTinJr PaintTinJr P Panajev2001a ethomaz ethomaz Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Md Ray Md Ray geordiemp geordiemp

ethomaz

Banned
With the release of The Matrix do fans still believe that UE5 nanite tech won't run on PC and XSS/X without reducing quality or using an elevator? Or that lumens uses the secret power of the Tempest Engine? Or that the 2020 Ps5 UE5 demo won't run on the PC or XSS/X or would require enormous amount of ram and need super fast SSD/IO?

Everything released/published/spoken by UE engineers and developers since the PS5 demo has proved that there weren't fast streaming going on at all and that PC would actually run the demo better at high resolution and fps without a super fast ssd and without direct storage/ rtx IO.

Is there anyone still spreading the god tier ssd/io misinformation? Heck even the Matrix just loads 1 second faster on the PS5... Remember this was the engine that was supposedly "changed to take full advantage of the PS5 god tier ssd/io"

Papacheeks Papacheeks PaintTinJr PaintTinJr P Panajev2001a ethomaz ethomaz Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Md Ray Md Ray geordiemp geordiemp
Sorry... why did you quote me?

Last edited:
Sorry... why did you quote me?
your last posts on this thread. didn't want to include all of it. I could include quotes from the last few replies from everyone. I wanted to see if you changed your views...
Dude i think this can cost you a warning, its better if you edit before getting in troubles.
Continuing discussion of a tech after new updates is against the rules?

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

No one was saying it could not run on PC. It's literally designed on PC. The thing we were talking about was how far ahead Sony's design was in eliminating the bottlenecks of most engines at the time. Unreal 4 even. Unreal 5 is designed to run on everything.

But to take advantage of asset streaming with the change from raw polygon rendering to Voxels opens up doors when Direct storage becomes a reality which will be very soon. If Sony was wrong in their design we would not be seeing NVIDIA and Radeon making GPU's with a chiplet design, nor would be see the focus on 3D-VACHE.
They now are making GPU's similar in the philosophy Mark Cerny had in I/O design of the PS5.

So instead of talking so much back and fourth to CPU the GPU can now do a lot more and that means faster load times, instant asset streaming using 3D -vCACHE to go directly into VRAM. No PC game so far has attempted this setup because the hardware isnt there yet nor is Direct storage there.

Matrix demo is that, just a demo that can scale depending on hardware config. But know that the prefered setup would be something with fast I/O and that only works with Direct storage API, and something like RDNA 3 and above to achieve that vision.
Current consoles are setup for asset streaming, PC's can brute force some of it. But depending on what you want to do in a particule scene will require more horsepower to achieve a more stable frame rate. I mean look at the FPS PS5/XBOX SERIES X?
They were not super stable nor above 30fps. SO it can be done, and on PC without issue, but at what performance, and quality depends on the setup and right now the limitation is I/O since PC has the format, and nvme's WITH high enough speed but no setup close to the custom solutions consoles have, specifically PS5.

Next year going into 2023 you will see more use cases for I/O in how assets are streamed in, and larger denser worlds. Matrix demo just shows you what you can do with the engine on modest hardware,

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
w

we know all of them ...and we know why they was pushing that narrative. Now we know for 100% with fact that all they said and theorizing basing their assumptions on no evidence was basically fantasyland. Ue5 will perform better on the strongest gpu / cpu obviously assisted by an average ssd

Last edited:

Loxus

w
we know all of them ...and we know why they was pushing that narrative. Now we know for 100% with fact that all they said and theorizing basing their assumptions on no evidence was basically fantasyland. Ue5 will perform better on the strongest gpu / cou and with a average ssd
You mean like full RDNA 2, Mesh Shaders, VRS, SFS, 12FT?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Boglin

I can't believe nobody told that dum-dum Mark Cerny that SATA SSD speeds are peak performance. There's literally no possible benefit to go faster than that for games. At all. Even hypothetically. Can you actually imagine being on that R&D team working on the PS5 I/O? Lol

"Shouldn't somebody tell him he's being a retard? What is he thinking spending 10s of millions of dollars on this useless bullshit?"
"うるさい!"

Loxus

those are real things..o_O are the physical specs of a console
12TF is a console spec.
I mean you and others where hyping those features up, but now look at reality. Both consoles perform the same.

With the PS5 SSD, you can see performance is still left on the table. If fact, you can see head room even on the Series consoles.

MonarchJT

Banned
No one was saying it could not run on PC. It's literally designed on PC. The thing we were talking about was how far ahead Sony's design was in eliminating the bottlenecks of most engines at the time. Unreal 4 even. Unreal 5 is designed to run on everything.

But to take advantage of asset streaming with the change from raw polygon rendering to Voxels opens up doors when Direct storage becomes a reality which will be very soon. If Sony was wrong in their design we would not be seeing NVIDIA and Radeon making GPU's with a chiplet design, nor would be see the focus on 3D-VACHE.
They now are making GPU's similar in the philosophy Mark Cerny had in I/O design of the PS5.

So instead of talking so much back and fourth to CPU the GPU can now do a lot more and that means faster load times, instant asset streaming using 3D -vCACHE to go directly into VRAM. No PC game so far has attempted this setup because the hardware isnt there yet nor is Direct storage there.

Matrix demo is that, just a demo that can scale depending on hardware config. But know that the prefered setup would be something with fast I/O and that only works with Direct storage API, and something like RDNA 3 and above to achieve that vision.
Current consoles are setup for asset streaming, PC's can brute force some of it. But depending on what you want to do in a particule scene will require more horsepower to achieve a more stable frame rate. I mean look at the FPS PS5/XBOX SERIES X?
They were not super stable nor above 30fps. SO it can be done, and on PC without issue, but at what performance, and quality depends on the setup and right now the limitation is I/O since PC has the format, and nvme's WITH high enough speed but no setup close to the custom solutions consoles have, specifically PS5.

Next year going into 2023 you will see more use cases for I/O in how assets are streamed in, and larger denser worlds. Matrix demo just shows you what you can do with the engine on modest hardware,
no stop it ..we already have datas and real comparation proof ue5 run better on a stronger GPU/CPU .doubling the SSD speed latency and everything else (exceeded that required to work well) brings no visible benefits.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
your last posts on this thread. didn't want to include all of it. I could include quotes from the last few replies from everyone. I wanted to see if you changed your views...
My reply to you was my first post in this thread lol
What are you smooking?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
12TF is a console spec.
I mean you and others where hyping those features up, but now look at reality. Both consoles perform the same.

With the PS5 SSD, you can see performance is still left on the table. If fact, you can see head room even on the Series consoles.
also rdna2 ML SFS and Vrs are HW specs o_O..there's still just one game utilizing sfs Vrs and no one using mesh shaders .... there are still PLENTY of performance on the table

MonarchJT

Banned
My reply to you was my first post in this thread lol
What are you smooking?
He tagged you probably because you was one of the group saying (filing entire threads with those talk) that ue5 would run better on PS5 thanks to the revolutionary i / o. Found that this is not absolutely the case. probably wanted to make you notice it .

Last edited:

Loxus

I can't believe nobody told that dum-dum Mark Cerny that SATA SSD speeds are peak performance. There's literally no possible benefit to go faster than that for games. At all. Even hypothetically. Can you actually imagine being on that R&D team working on the PS5 I/O? Lol

"Shouldn't somebody tell him he's being a retard? What is he thinking spending 10s of millions of dollars on this useless bullshit?"
"うるさい!"
So there is no difference between HDD and SSD in games right?

Did you see the load times on PS5?
or the leaked Spider Man streaming demo?

or the fact it was Tim Sweeney that was hyping up the PS5 SSD?

This is simply not true as one of the main statements that was being said was that it WONT run on PC.
People were using TIM's words to say that despite the fact that unreal engine engineers who created lumen,nanite and worked on the demo were saying otherwise.

I literally posted on quote out of the thousands of post that were saying this.
In this very thread you said the below. Now if your views have changed just say your views have changed. Its totally okay and the point of me bringing this back up. Which to see how people now view UE5 compared to the misinformation in the past with all the new info that has dropped.

You don't have to try to revise history.

In terms of amount of nanites and rendering, for sure PC will be able to do a lot more. What they show here is Editor mode, which does not have all the final VFX, rendering, ect. Also lets see him literally run in realtime the same demo with the same 8k assets and see at the end where the character is flying to her destination with all the new materials/assets being streamed instantly?

This is editor mode, which is when your building nothing is 100% finialized rendered, and none of the effects for realtime render/playout are applied. WHich add a substancial amount in performance.

No one is saying this cant be run on PC, it's being built on PC's. The disconnect is some of the demo aspects last year were specific in PS5's live demo. Mainly the part at the end that utilizes the SSD AND I/O.

If they can show me that running off a pc in a playable demo like PS5 demo then I think it clears everything up that at the time PC side for specific features they tailored for that PS5 demo are now finalized for other hardware configs.

That has nothing to do with UE5's nanite and its requirement.
1) It doesn't need a super fast SSD, a SATA SSD is sufficient. (This is stated by multiple UE engineers and creator of nanite and also confirmed by the valley of the ancient demo)
2) It doesn't load gb/s of data per frame, the Matrix demo needed just 10mb/frame. Another confirmation that this would run on pc with a sata ssd no direct storage, rtx io, 3D-vache, or whatever you come up with.

Those are the facts.
You don't need that, which is the point of this thread. All three demos runs at the same fidelity on sata ssd with no direct storage or rtx io or fancy new gpu designs.
No it doesn't need that, that is the point. It streams only 10mb/frame of data.
You are using scale here to give the impression that it scales to gbs of data. But it doesn't.
Thats not how nanite works it doesn't stream gb/s of data per sec.
This same demo will run at the same fidelity as PS5/XSX using only a sata ssd with no direct storage or rtxio.
Are you arguing against that?
Current consoles are setup for asset streaming, PC's can brute force some of it.
PC isn't brute forcing anything. The valley of the ancient need just 6GB and 3 GB of System Ram and VRAM
But depending on what you want to do in a particule scene will require more horsepower to achieve a more stable frame rate. I mean look at the FPS PS5/XBOX SERIES X?
Again false. This is completely wrong. You didn't need NVME SSD to run the Valley demo nor do you need it to run the Matrix demo, the limitation IS NOT I/O
No we wont.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned

You’ve ever heard of something called.......a technology demo! It’s sometimes made to show off the potential of future graphical tech! Everything made specifically to show at its best. The Matrix demo even runs on the Series S (hey that rhymed). Shouldn’t at all be used to judge a full complete game on all platforms.

Loxus

also rdna2 ML SFS and Vrs are HW specs o_O..there's still just one game utilizing sfs Vrs and no one using mesh shaders .... there are still PLENTY of performance on the table
UE5 is a next gen engine using next gen hardware.
I knew you Xboxes would start with the bs of not using those features sooner or later.

With the current upscaling techniques, there is no use for Microsoft VRS solution outside of VR.

PS5 currently has more ML feats than Xbox.

Full RDNA 2, 12 TF advantage is a wash.

I don't know you just don't accept reality and stop living in the Matrix.

MonarchJT

Banned

No one EVER said that ue5 paired with an HDD could have same perf of one paired with an SSD. The point is that exceeded the threshold of the engine system requests, increasing the speed of the SSD, lowering the latency, etc., does not result in better performance. Better performance will be obtained with more powerful GPUs (the PS5 with its i / o drops at 21fps @ 1080p)

ethomaz

Banned
He tagged you probably because you was one of the group saying (filing entire threads with those talk) that ue5 would run better on PS5 thanks to the revolutionary i / o. Found that this is not absolutely the case. probably wanted to make you notice it .
So he quoted me without know what I said or not lol

Is he talking about Nanite demo or the Matrix demo?
I explained Nanite can possible even run on mobiles with settings decreased... the number of triangles matters to how much streaming assets it needed.... how much Matrix demos needs? how much the Nanite demos needs?

He probably quoted me because he thinks I'm a fanboy... I'm a fanboy but if he reads what I said then he will feel ashamed in quoting me for no reason.

Last edited:

Boglin

Look, all I'm saying is the guy who designed the PS4 clearly has no idea what he's doing. He obviously just threw a dart towards a wall covered with sheets of paper, all labeled with useful hardware components that would make for a practical upgrade but his dainty little arms couldn't throw it hard enough so the dart landed on one of the sheet of paper that was left on the floor for useless components. The one specifically labeled, "faster SSD".

I'm sure Sony's ICE TEAM was begging him not to go through with it, along with everyone else who has common sense that knows what's ACTUALLY useful, but he foolishly ignored them. Mark Cerny shunned Sony's own developers who pleaded for more TFs in favor of what the dart had landed on. What God has chosen.

Maybe the gaming hardware veteran and giant, Sony, whose known for making some of the most gorgeous games on the planet actually knows what they are doing and have a purpose for the extra speed? Maybe they developed the I/O for a reason. Although, that'd probably be too far fetched, right?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
UE5 is a next gen engine using next gen hardware.
I knew you Xboxes would start with the bs of not using those features sooner or later.

With the current upscaling techniques, there is no use for Microsoft VRS solution outside of VR.

PS5 currently has more ML feats than Xbox.

Full RDNA 2, 12 TF advantage is a wash.

I don't know you just don't accept reality and stop living in the Matrix.

You spreading FUD Vrs save GPU perf gears 5 dlc hivebuster show that.
there are no proof of int4 or int8 (ops) hw support in the PS5 but instead we have tweet of PS5 graphic engineer saying that PS5 doesn't have hw ml support and Ms saying that is the only one with this supp. stop it ..my gosh it's not about console war is about saying the truth and use the brain logic

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
This is simply not true as one of the main statements that was being said was that it WONT run on PC.
People were using TIM's words to say that despite the fact that unreal engine engineers who created lumen,nanite and worked on the demo were saying otherwise.

I literally posted on quote out of the thousands of post that were saying this.
In this very thread you said the below. Now if your views have changed just say your views have changed. Its totally okay and the point of me bringing this back up. Which to see how people now view UE5 compared to the misinformation in the past with all the new info that has dropped.

You don't have to try to revise history.

That has nothing to do with UE5's nanite and its requirement.
1) It doesn't need a super fast SSD, a SATA SSD is sufficient. (This is stated by multiple UE engineers and creator of nanite and also confirmed by the valley of the ancient demo)
2) It doesn't load gb/s of data per frame, the Matrix demo needed just 10mb/frame. Another confirmation that this would run on pc with a sata ssd no direct storage, rtx io, 3D-vache, or whatever you come up with.

Those are the facts.

You don't need that, which is the point of this thread. All three demos runs at the same fidelity on sata ssd with no direct storage or rtx io or fancy new gpu designs.

No it doesn't need that, that is the point. It streams only 10mb/frame of data.
You are using scale here to give the impression that it scales to gbs of data. But it doesn't.
Thats not how nanite works it doesn't stream gb/s of data per sec.
This same demo will run at the same fidelity as PS5/XSX using only a sata ssd with no direct storage or rtxio.
Are you arguing against that?

PC isn't brute forcing anything. The valley of the ancient need just 6GB and 3 GB of System Ram and VRAM

Again false. This is completely wrong. You didn't need NVME SSD to run the Valley demo nor do you need it to run the Matrix demo, the limitation IS NOT I/O

No we wont.

Again unless you have been living under a rock, GPU's are going chiplet design we now are seeing 512mb to 1GB of VCACHE to talk to the different chips on the dye. Radeon and Nvidia are literally building cards for the future why would they go this route? Why would they actually have temp storage on the DYE to talk to different chips instead of monolithic?

Cerny would not have built such a custom system based on one engine? ANd mostly outside of Bend all Sony studios use their own in house engine. Maybe the way UNreal is engineered since its use case goes from games to film/tv and even now broadcast they made a case of if you have custom design UNreal 5 can utilize it?

I mean until we get an actual game and not a tech demo, with more systems running and tons more intricacy's in the assets we honestly only have the temple, and matrix tech demo's to go off of. It's obvious different engines are engineered differently.

Sony see's the future for what "they make" needing an robust I/O setup.

Maybe we all are wrong on our assumptions on Tim pulling the whool over our eyes. But looking at how dense Sony's first party games are, its something that I don't see being done so far on PC to the extent. And until we see a non-crossgen game running on PC it's hard to compare on whats happening under the hood.

Well it appears that UE5 is not one of the use cases because of its virtual texturing. Under normal gameplay, I would say the ultra fast SSD of PS5 wouldn't matter. It will have to be specific scenarios in the gameplay that will see the use of SSD speed and the I/O.

Boglin

Well it appears that UE5 is not one of the use cases because of its virtual texturing. Under normal gameplay, I would say the ultra fast SSD of PS5 wouldn't matter. It will have to be specific scenarios in the gameplay that will see the use of SSD speed and the I/O.
I can see this often being the case.
Although, since the purpose of the SSD here is to make up for an underwhelming bump in memory this gen, I imagine Sony's first party studios might get more granular with streaming lots of things. Not just virtual texturing but also repeating assets, animations, summoning dragons out of thin air that weren't stored in memory... that sort of thing.

Because that demo has being optimized to run on normal PC SSD. The end of the first demo running on PS5. We never saw that part running on another hardware. By the way, how is I/O usually used by the gameplay in games? It's just the size of the assets (world density) that will be different. And also of course the aim will be almost instantaneous loadings (<2s) everywhere.

MonarchJT

Banned
Because that demo has being optimized to run on normal PC SSD. The end of the first demo running on PS5. We never saw that part running on another hardware. By the way, how is I/O usually used by the gameplay in games? It's just the size of the assets (world density) that will be different. And also of course the aim will be almost instantaneous loadings (<2s) everywhere.
flying at max speed trough the city is certainly heavier than the first PS5 demo
The way ue5 stream data is 100% the same ... it doesn't need ultra super duper i / o

Last edited:

Loxus

You spreading FUD Vrs save GPU perf gears 5 dlc hivebuster show that.
there are no proof of int4 or int8 (ops) hw support in the PS5 but instead we have tweet of PS5 graphic engineer saying that PS5 doesn't have hw ml support and Ms saying that is the only one with this supp. stop it ..my gosh it's not about console war is about saying the truth and use the brain logic
xr4SuhK.jpg

He is talking about dedicated hardware. AMD doesn't have any dedicated ML hardware like Nvidia Tensor Cores. Any ML done on AMD GPUs, is done via CUs.

PS5 is using ML on Spider Man, so what he said doesn't disprove PS5 having INT4/8.

And for peace sake, Microsoft is talking about DirectX API features not GPU hardware and Xbox is the only console that supports DirectX.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
xr4SuhK.jpg

He is talking about dedicated hardware. AMD doesn't have any dedicated ML hardware like Nvidia Tensor Cores. Any ML done on AMD GPUs, is done via CUs.

PS5 is using ML on Spider Man, so what he said doesn't disprove PS5 having INT4/8.

And for peace sake, Microsoft is talking about DirectX API features not GPU hardware and Xbox is the only console that supports DirectX.

Do you expect a real response from him or just straight up rebutal based on nothing like usual?
Because all that you posted seems quite convincing just as logic does but you know that some fanboys will never accept even the possibility of equality.For them there has to be a substantial advantage that somehow never shows in perf.Some are just going straight misterxmedia territory.And sadly the user you are replying to is part of them.Most of the time just ignore the bullshit spreaders it will probably makez your visit here way more enjoyable.

Lethal01

flying at max speed trough the city is certainly heavier than the first PS5 demo
The way ue5 stream data is 100% the same ... it doesn't need ultra super duper i / o

Do you got any thoughts on this being (our first?) showcase of mesh shaders? I thought you said you'd beeing waiting to see them in action.

MonarchJT

Banned
xr4SuhK.jpg

you can do ml with every CPU or GPU ...you will do it just faster if you have hw support for that . stop spreading your fantasy as facts. That engineer.word say it all

Last edited:
I think it's incredible that people, so many people still keeps insisting on this argument about the PS5 hardware and potential, calling Cerny a liar, that everything was exaggerated, but you don't see this same passion about the Xboxes. Surprisingly they believe everything about "only true RDNA2" and "DX12 Ultimate", all the marketing about resolutions and framerate even on the Virgin, no criticism there.

MonarchJT

Banned
Do you got any thoughts on this being (our first?) showcase of mesh shaders? I thought you said you'd beeing waiting to see them in action.
devs need to to take hand with all of this ... the fact that Epic (the creator of the engine) needed the support of and the coalition says a lot about this.

Lethal01

devs need to to take hand with all of this ... the fact that Epic (the creator of the engine) needed the support of and the coalition says a lot about this.

Not sure what take hand means, guessing your assumptions is they aren't utilizing them well? I"m sure they will get better over time but I would doubt that they aren't already being used to some very nice effects.

I think them working with the coalition simply shows they are taking advantage of their partners to speed of development of the engine and this demo specifically. As they always have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom