• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: 30% of Sledgerhammer Games has been laid off

This isn't the end people. I expect raven studios to be shut down plus another supportive cod studio.

And the absolute bellend does this. Dudes got played like a fiddle

HNQnX3f.jpg

Three

Grin Reaction GIF by iQiyi

The delusion of the Xbox Warrior Force was always amusing. Thinking that once Microsoft owns ABK, suddenly a bunch of new games would be greenlit, the entire back catalog would appear on Game Pass, and now with Microsoft's infinite resources and infrastructure, all these studios would thrive... the Call of Duty studios could finally be set free to create new IPs and revive old one.

only if they knew the worst is yet to come.
I remember this. How MS was going to "free studios from COD". Cutting 30-40% of the studio workforce just makes me think they're going to concentrate on nothing but CoD now.

Nydius

Wtf is Microsoft doing….

The same thing Microsoft has always done. They did this long before they even thought of Xbox. I remember the days when they'd buy up small developers because said devs had something Microsoft wanted to integrate into Windows. Microsoft would buy them, add them to the staff, get what they wanted added to Windows, then shitcan the team that originally developed it.

Buying stuff then gutting the staff has been Microsoft's modus operandi for at least three decades.

Ozzie666

The industry is a blood bath right now, there is a reckoning happening. It won't be long until we are paying $99 USD for games, or everything is locked behind a monthly subscription just to access games. This isn't just exclusive to Microsoft.

But Microsoft definitely doesn't need much encouragement to make cuts. Just another move to streamline, reduce costs and move to that sweet all digital future.

Executives keep winning.

Mr Moose

The industry is a blood bath right now, there is a reckoning happening. It won't be long until we are paying $99 USD for games, or everything is locked behind a monthly subscription just to access games. This isn't just exclusive to Microsoft.

But Microsoft definitely doesn't need much encouragement to make cuts. Just another move to streamline, reduce costs and move to that sweet all digital future.

Executives keep winning.
I'll wait for a sale.

Their last two COD games were turds and MW3 as well. Again these layoff news are just drama bait. If you think that no other company, non-gaming isnt laying off workers you must be living in a parallel dimension. Coming here you would think gameing industry CEOs are bad...news flash, it happens everywhere. they don't fire people because they don't like them, they fire them to keep their costs down and profits up. Its called business 101, any industry or company can be affected by this if they are doing poorly.

How are you still running this line when they've pretty much killed the crash and spyro team lmao
Oh I donno, maybe because they dont have a plan to keep 400+ people employed while no new Spyro or Crash game is on the horizon? Those two games have been out for years, keep them around for what exactly if they dont plan to make anything besides a Spyro trilogy remake. Maybe you thought there was a Spyro 4 coming but obviously wishing something doesnt make it a reality.

Oh I donno, maybe because they dont have a plan to keep 400+ people employed while no new Spyro or Crash game is on the horizon? Those two games have been out for years, keep them around for what exactly if they dont plan to make anything besides a Spyro trilogy remake. Maybe you thought there was a Spyro 4 coming but obviously wishing something doesnt make it a reality.

Man you guys are on a roll

ddHxzOP.gif

Grin Reaction GIF by iQiyi

The delusion of the Xbox Warrior Force was always amusing. Thinking that once Microsoft owns ABK, suddenly a bunch of new games would be greenlit, the entire back catalog would appear on Game Pass, and now with Microsoft's infinite resources and infrastructure, all these studios would thrive... the Call of Duty studios could finally be set free to create new IPs and revive old one.

only if they knew the worst is yet to come.
What studio has thrived since Microsoft bought them? Someone help me out here.

Raonak

Banned
Their last two COD games were turds and MW3 as well. Again these layoff news are just drama bait. If you think that no other company, non-gaming isnt laying off workers you must be living in a parallel dimension. Coming here you would think gameing industry CEOs are bad...news flash, it happens everywhere. they don't fire people because they don't like them, they fire them to keep their costs down and profits up. Its called business 101, any industry or company can be affected by this if they are doing poorly.

I see MS didn't fire their astroturf shill department

Sony should hire some of them to develop it's COD contender......
I don't know this for a fact but I would assume a lot of their layoffs are mostly HR, IT, some mid level leadership, and very few people involved in the creative process.

At least that's what usually happens when large companies buy smaller companies. It just makes sense to remove employees who already exist in the big company. Again, I'm just guessing maybe I'm completely off here.

I don't know this for a fact but I would assume a lot of their layoffs are mostly HR, IT, some mid level leadership, and very few people involved in the creative process.

At least that's what usually happens when large companies buy smaller companies. It just makes sense to remove employees who already exist in the big company. Again, I'm just guessing maybe I'm completely off here.

Completely off

Anything they do for Gamepass regarding COD has to be allowed for other platforms like Playstation and Nintendo as well for atleast 10 years as part of the contract they signed. So this has to be for something else. They cant gimp the offerings of COD to make gamepass seem more appealing because it has a lower price entry compared to its competitors.

I think you've largely misunderstood.

Having to put the game on PlayStation doesn't mean they can't put it on GamePass. They can offer it to sony for PS+ as well, but there is no cost qualifier that works for Sony in that sitaution. It doesn't have to be free on PS+

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
easily the worst studio making COD games. How they even get allowed to take full control of annual releases on the same billing as IW and Treyarch making games is a mystery.

Raonak

Banned
Call me when you own a business instead of sitting in your man cave without having to worry about anyone else but yourself. Yeah, companies all over the world just keep unecessary staff lol.

"Unecessary Staff" - corparate talk for we wasted 70 billion dollars and need to fire a bunch of people because we our studio management sucks.

Call me once MS fires you. I can point you along to some better companies.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Oh yeah, isn’t consolidation great! I am sure I can write a few paragraphs in synergy, paradigm, responsible growth and other drivel.

Or you know, actually have competent regulators. What gets me is the EU rolled over real quick.

Fredrik

Its a bloodbath, why even buy them if this is their plan for them?
They’re doing it to not have the red numbers in the earnings reports to calm investors so the stock numbers don’t go down during a recession. Simple as that. It’s extremely short sighted. Nobody is going to want to be acquired now. It stops here. And devs will jump ship. Now the only way is down. And if they get rid of physical games for Xbox without a meaningful hardware upgrade from a new generation getting people hyped about something…
Well, good luck.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Ah.....ok. Did you forget to post the link in your reply or was that it?

Cuz if you say I'm completely off without a reference, then you're just guessing like I was.

Yeah, completely off.

Codes 208

Its sledgehammer, the company that brought you a $70 expansion and their output had always been mid. Im surprised ma isnt just fully putting them out to pastor

Fredrik

Its sledgehammer, the company that brought you a $70 expansion and their output had always been mid. Im surprised ma isnt just fully putting them out to pastor
It’s short sighted like all mass layoffs and only done to make earnings reports look better. It’s never a good idea. Will lead to lower morale among those left, worse games because the collective skill level on the team is lower, more people will leave because they’re pissed or because they want to keep working with a buddy who will go somewhere else and say it’s so much better there, etc. Seen it so many times in other industries. It’s all about the money.

Stooky

breakfast noise GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Under normal situations, typically the company getting acquired gets the most layoffs.

Unless there is special reasons to prefer keeping them over the big head office employees from the acquirer, the bigger company's management and personnel will have a higher chance of sticking around when it comes to culling the fat. Maybe for game companies it's different, but for other industries the bigger company employees typically have more responsibilities and product lines to cover. And those bosses will upstage the smaller company so they will naturally choose to keep their own people more. Also, it makes sense to add to their plate the smaller company's tasks, then to do the reverse and keep the smaller company guy and tell him he's getting the big company's products and responsibilities tripling his work and expectations.

In this case, it's a weird one because Activision is huge with tons of employees compared to MS's gaming department. But company wide, MS is way bigger.

Last edited:
What studio has thrived since Microsoft bought them? Someone help me out here.
Rare was rocky early after the purchase but has become quite successful since Spencer took over. Obsidian seems to have done well too under MS. Double Fine put out their best game ever after the acquisition. Playground was already awesome, and continues to be. Mojang's success can't be denied. Most of the studios are up in the air, though. We'll see what happens with Ninja Theory soon. Undead Labs has had their issues. Compulsion has yet to release a game, but it looks cool. InXile's game looks interesting too.

On the Bethesda side, things look good overall. Thoughts on Starfield are mixed, but a lot of people did enjoy it. Tango put out an incredible game. Machine Games is working on something they're good at and Indy looks awesome. TESO and Fallout 76 are getting continued development, and we don't know much about id Software right now. Arkane Lyon seems set with Blade. Arkane Austin seems to be the real dud so far, but hopefully they refocus on what they're good at. Problem is what's left of the Prey team (and if they got hit with these layoffs)?

Top Bottom