• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Starcraft 3 is in development

Draugoth

Gold Member
screenshot_1-2.jpg

The next game in the acclaimed StarCraft series seems to be on its way. According to journalist Jez Corden, StarCraft 3 is currently in development at Blizzard.

In a reply to a fan’s question on Twitter about Microsoft reviving StarCraft if/when its purchase of Activision Blizzard closes, Corden says that won’t need to happen.

“[Microsoft] won’t need to revive StarCraft,” Corden said.

A different user specifically asked if it was StarCraft 3 and if Corden knew anything about it, and he responded with a simple one-word answer: “Yep”.

StarCraft II, the last game in the series was originally released 13 years ago back in 2010. The game did have a number of expansions, the last of which came in 2016. Since then, however, Blizzard has been quiet on the franchise, focusing on Overwatch and Diablo.

With both those series having new releases recently, it would make sense for the company to then turn to its real-time strategy title.

Source

Robbinhood

Banned
This reminds me I need to finish legacy of the void. This used to be my fav franchise, but I’m not really into rts anymore. Too stressful and you get into a build and it becomes repetitive

small_law

Bullshit. Blizzard doesn't have the balls. This version of Blizzard had Overwatch in a good place initially, but couldn't maintain it. Imagine the same thing happens with StarCraft 3, except now you're dealing with the most mentally ill and proudly toxic video game community to have ever existed. The sensitive, inclusive folk at Blizzard would get their pretty pink panties all in a bunch. Blizzard have washed their hands of StarCraft.

Xyphie

They disbanded Team 1 (which made SC2/Heroes) less than 3 years ago, seems doubtful they'd change their minds in such a short amount of time.

Red5

will they charge 3x for it like last time?

StarCraft 1 campaign had 30 missions total, Each StarCraft 2 Chapter had 30 missions on its own, 90 missions as opposed to 30. Each StarCraft 2 Chapter is years apart in development and each is standalone.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I would be mind fucked if they did do this.

I need day9 dailies to return , and to stay up late to watch the Korean scene compete.

Better times.

nkarafo

I thought the Single Player content is actually very good :messenger_downcast_sweat:

How? Almost every mission has a time limit and you can never play at your own pace. There's never enough time to build a base (let alone explore the map and expand) or experiment with all the different units, which is particularly bad in the Zerg campaign with all the different mutations.

In the few missions where there is no time limit (about one or two for each campaign) there is no enemy AI. The bases are pre-build and the computer enemy rarely rebuilds whatever you destroy and never tries to expand.

It's obvious they didn't give a shit about the campaigns and the game is practically multiplayer only.

EDMIX

Look, I'm not saying I don't want another Starcraft, merely......is the current Blizzard even the one I want to do it? Its like asking if I want another Banjo as if the current team exist, it exist by name only at this point.

Look at even Bioware with Mass Effect.

So....I want it, but even a reveal of, I'd have to really look into if its a day 1. Not the same team, not the same trust. So I don't just want Starcraft 3....same team, same vision, same concept.

Varteras

Gold Member
Don't know how much stock I would put into that or even how good it would end up being. Word was that ABK was refusing to make another game. One of the reasons why many on that team left. Some went to Dreamhaven, which is basically a spiritual successor to Blizzard. Others formed Frost Giant, who is making Stormgate. Which is very much a Blizzard-style RTS. I would be happy to see it come back. But I'm more than a little cautious about it.

Top Bottom