• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac on lack of Sunset Overdrive 2: Ask Microsoft, may continue w/o them one day

FingerBang

I remember buying an Xbox One for that game, and I loved it. Now I am selling my Xbox one because games like that are not coming out anymore. Also, everything is on PC.

FFS Insomniac, your games sell on PS4. Make it multiplatform.

FelipeMGM

Why ask MS, when you own it?

You can't blame MS for everything.

Insomniac, if you believe in the IP, put your money down and go multiplatform.

You are crazy if you think they have anything close to the money needed to self fund this at the moment

I liked it a lot, but I think a sequel could improve on many things - same with Sunset Overdrive, which I actually thought was just mediocre.

But yeah.. Quantum Break has felt like a real centrepiece for Xbox One since the start, that's why - even disregarding sales, quality of the game etc. - it's surprising to me they wouldn't continue with it as a series.. :s

If I had to choose though, I would choose a QB2, considering that
it ended on an interesting cliffhanger

OK, so you ask, MS refuses, and then you go multiplatform.

Doesn't work like that. Microsoft most likely has a window of time in which to respond. So for example, Insomniac pitches SO2 to them and says they need X dollars to make it. Per the SO1 contract, Microsoft doesn't have to respond immediately, but possibly gets a period of a year or two to make the decision. Only after that period expires can Insomniac shop it to a different publisher (with it also being possible that the SO1 contract explicitly prohibits the SO franchise from ever becoming a Sony or Nintendo exclusive, because that would look bad).

We obviously don't know all the details, but you can read between the lines based on Ted's statements.

Outrun

Doesn't work like that. Microsoft most likely has a window of time in which to respond. So for example, Insomniac pitches SO2 to them and says they need X dollars to make it. Per the SO1 contract, Microsoft doesn't have to respond immediately, but possibly gets a period of a year or two to make the decision. Only after that period expires can Insomniac shop it to a different publisher (with it also being possible that the SO1 contract explicitly prohibits the SO franchise from ever becoming a Sony or Nintendo exclusive, because that would look bad).

We obviously don't know all the details, but you can read between the lines based on Ted's statements.

Fair enough.

Spidy

Neo Member
Loved the first SO, would love a sequel.

I sense that MS will only pull for a sequel if that original title was super successful, which is annoying. I'd like for them to not just focus on the return numbers, but the critical reception quality of the game, and potential of the game, then nurture the franchise.

Another example of this is Quantum Break. I loved that game as well, it had it's problems but overall it was a fantastic experience with an engaging story. The game is set up for a sequel, but if I remember correctly, MS's Aaron Greenberg said in regards to QB "not every game needs a sequel." He's right, not every game needs a sequel, but this particular game does because it has an interesting world and it sets up for one. This quote is also rich because it's coming from a company whose entire portfolio hinges on sequels (Halo, Halo Wars, Gears, Forza M, Forza H, Crackdown).

I understand MS is fighting an upward battle, especially since public perception of them is pretty low in comparison to Sony and they can't really seem to catch a break, but they need to invest in new IP and more first party studios and continue nurturing them to become the next Halo or Gears instead of relying on those relics that are losing steam. I was very much looking forward to Scalebound, and I get that may have been the fault of Platinum Games, but then I look at Sony getting Nier from them and I just wonder how.

Looking forward for MS to blow me away during E3, otherwise I may have to focus only on PS4 for my gaming.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm fine. Insomniac currently works on the only IP that has the potential to match or even exceed the movement mechanics of SO.

jayu26

What's the point of owning an IP if something like that is in the contract?

EvB

The publishing contract for SO1 probably gives Microsoft first right of refusal to publish SO2. That's why.

If it's first refusal then Microsoft will have said no already

Which means they must be making it without them right?

But maybe nobody else wants to finance it OR it's already being made with Microsoft and that was a deflection

EvB

the SO1 contract explicitly prohibits the SO franchise from ever becoming a Sony or Nintendo exclusive, because that would look bad).

60802598.jpg

Hexer06

I would love a sequel! Preferably multiplatform so it can sell better. At least do a pc port to try and get some funding going or something. I would double dip to show support. :D

MarveI

Phil can PR all day but this shows exactly the problem with MS.
Sony cares about their portfolio and takes the loss on quality games whereas MS doesn't care about that as much as they care about profitability.

Yeah it might have sold bad but you don't change the perception of your target audience in a day. It takes a lot of time, investing and sometimes taking that L for the grand scheme of things. Games like SO is exactly what MS needs most.

Shame.

Wozman23

As a huge Insomniac fan, I bought the Sunset Overdrive bundle. It was my first foray into a Microsoft console. Other than it and Recore - which I don't expect to get a sequel either - I've been underwhelmed.

To me SO feels like it would have been more at home on the PS4 - and probably would have if Sony would be more open to letting studios own their IP. It's got a lot of the Ratchet & Clank DNA, feeling somewhat like a spiritual successor. It also draws comparisons to Infamous. Plus, Sony seems to favor a more diverse portfolio, and gives a little more leeway to new IPs.

I just don't think Microsoft or their primary demographic have any interest in games like SO or Recore.

Also, as people have suggested, we need Resistance 4. Resistance 3's commercial performance was an anomaly. I want to fight the Pure Chimera.

I think part of the story is also the fact that MS has pivoted away from non-IP ownership deals.

If what has been said about Ryse 2's funding being held back by the sole fact that MS wanted IP ownership, then it shows that MS wants to have a larger stake of product ownership now compared to when they were willing to sign developer-favourable deals if it gets them on the table like with Gears of War.

Madness

Please read up on the development history of Sunset Overdrive. The very reason they went to MS in the first place was because they were finding it impossoble to find a publisher who would give them the money to make the game while still keeping their IP. It is why Activision is asking for substantial Bungie stock for Destiny 2 if they don't make it on time. Sony refused to do Sunset Overdrive for that reason. You cannot just 'go' multiplatform. These days games cost tens of millions to hundred plus million to make, market and produce. And in the end, Insomniac keeps the IP. Very risky for a new IP. The first was great but didn't sell well. Think of a franchise like Street Fighter, now look how poorly it sold and it was a Capcom game that was funded by Sony.

I think MS should definitely look into this after the collapse of Scalebound. Promise a PC release as well and you have a title that could shine on Scorpio. But under Phil Spencer they aren't about that third party and exclusivity anymore instead focusing on IP. But their investment in ReCore wasn't that great and you can only milk Forza and Halo and Gears so much.

Maybe they will. They just got busy with R&C remake and now with Spider-Man, both projects are bigger than Sunset Overdrive so even if we're getting a sequel, we have to wait a long time. Maybe even next-gen launch title.

David___

Banned

But maybe nobody else wants to finance it OR it's already being made with Microsoft and that was a deflection

It could be that they didn't pitch a sequel yet since they went from SO to Ratchet/Song of the Deep to Spiderman. Its also doubtful its being made right now since iirc both studios are on Spiderman.

I don't think so. Most, if not all, of insomniac teams are working on Spider-Man right now.

blakep267

Loved the first SO, would love a sequel.

I sense that MS will only pull for a sequel if that original title was super successful, which is annoying. I'd like for them to not just focus on the return numbers, but the critical reception quality of the game, and potential of the game, then nurture the franchise.

Another example of this is Quantum Break. I loved that game as well, it had it's problems but overall it was a fantastic experience with an engaging story. The game is set up for a sequel, but if I remember correctly, MS's Aaron Greenberg said in regards to QB "not every game needs a sequel." He's right, not every game needs a sequel, but this particular game does because it has an interesting world and it sets up for one. This quote is also rich because it's coming from a company whose entire portfolio hinges on sequels (Halo, Halo Wars, Gears, Forza M, Forza H, Crackdown).

I understand MS is fighting an upward battle, especially since public perception of them is pretty low in comparison to Sony and they can't really seem to catch a break, but they need to invest in new IP and more first party studios and continue nurturing them to become the next Halo or Gears instead of relying on those relics that are losing steam. I was very much looking forward to Scalebound, and I get that may have been the fault of Platinum Games, but then I look at Sony getting Nier from them and I just wonder how.

Looking forward for MS to blow me away during E3, otherwise I may have to focus only on PS4 for my gaming.
Giving remedy money and having them waste another 3-4 years isn't a sound decision. As for sunset, MS already has another open world arcadey game in Crackdown and that 1 will likely have some sort of Mocrotransaction system implemented in its multiplayer. If it's even marginally successful I wouldn't see a reason for them to invest in SO because they don't tend to like having multiple games in a single genre

There's probably been nothing pitched to refuse and no inquires to start creating a pitch for.

Grisby

You have my money Insomniac. Lots of it.

One of the best, top 5 games this gen, in the likes of MGS5, BloodBorne, Witcher 3, and the like.

What's the point of owning an IP if something like that is in the contract?

Pretty much! Why would Insomniac fight to own the IP, if their Contract with Microsoft will not let them release it on other consoles? That would be silly, Insomniac wanted the ip, that is why they supposedly didn't go with Sony.

I totally agree with the Right of Refusal stuff, I would assume Microsoft does at least get that opporitunity. But I bet there is no writing in that original Sunset Overdrive contract that says Insomniac cannot ever release a sequel to the game on other platforms. Insomniac are pros, they wouldn't make a rookie mistake like that.

Spidy

Neo Member
Giving remedy money and having them waste another 3-4 years isn't a sound decision. As for sunset, MS already has another open world arcadey game in Crackdown and that 1 will likely have some sort of Mocrotransaction system implemented in its multiplayer. If it's even marginally successful I wouldn't see a reason for them to invest in SO because they don't tend to like having multiple games in a single genre

That's part of my issue, there is room for both. One can be attracted to SO and not care about Crackdown, vice versa, overlap, etc. Think of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Nioh. All very similar and successful, all on the PS4.

Would love to see what they could with a sequel with all they've leaned from the first game and Spiderman. Itd be rad if they went multi plat but MS should really pick it up IMO.

Sunset Overdrive looks like a fun game from gameplay video I've seen, but I really don't like the tone and style of humor the game have. enough to make me not want to play the game even if it got ported to PC/PS4.

if they end up making a sequel, I hope it got a big tone shift

They own the IP so hopefully they find a way to make a sequel. I never had a chance to play it but I have a lot of respect for them as developers

Just tell me Insomiac isn't holding a Scorpio patch for ransom, because that would be awful. No game needs a Scorpio patch more. I'm speaking as a PS4 Pro owner.

It's not just that. They likely have to provide a vertical slice or playable demo for their pitch and that requires a dedicated team to push a high quality AAA project. You also need to take into account that the first game didn't sell very well. So not only would Microsoft likely reject the pitch but its also very unlikely other publishers would pick it up. Sony likely wouldn't as they won't own the rights to the IP and they would much rather continue to invest in Ratchet & Clank and the very likely success of Spider-Man from Insomniac for the coming future.

Let's also not forget, once Spider-Man becomes a hit, it would be very tempting for Sony, Insomniac and Marvel to continue in their joint venture. Sony also wouldn't be dropping Ratchet & Clank and Insomniac have their indie/VR/new IP ambitions too. Sunset getting a sequel is very unlikely, even if Microsoft is interested as there isn't enough man power to manage such a large AAA project from a outsiders perspective for the upcoming 3 years at least.

FYI, this is also the same situation with Remedy and Alan Wake. Microsoft know there's demand but they also know a game like that would require a big budget, which isn't justified by a vocal minority if there isn't a strong marketing push from the publisher, which also requires a big budget nowadays. This isn't a Microsoft problem, neither are. It's just unfortunate that these new IPs didn't do well, didn't get enough marketing budget and now are stuck in limbo.

Best wishes.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Well that's one of the risks you take by releasing your game exclusively for a particular platform. Although the game had good word of mouth and was well received critically not enough people took an interest in the title for whatever reason. Fortunately, the game was published in partnership with Microsoft so their development costs were likely recouped, plus some. If they were to release a sequel now they'd have to fund it entirely on their own and the same people who bought the first game will likely be that small segment that purchases the sequel were there one made, along with maybe a few more sales from growth of the platform. If the game is multiplatform, that would help alleviate sales pressure for the XB1 but they'd be releasing the second game in a franchise PS4/PC players aren't familiar with, so unless they release the first game as well, people may not purchase the game at all.

Caayn

so unless they release the first game as well, people may not purchase the game at all.
We've seen time and time again that publishers don't care about that.

Kingdom hearts 3 releasing on XB1 without any prior KH game on the platform and none of the remakes making it to the platform.

Mass Effect 2 launching on PS3 without Mass Effect being available on the platform.

I wonder if the contact has a clause that means they have to wait a few years before they port it to other platforms once MS has refused to give permission.

If MS was OK with it I assume a PC port would have happened by now at least as Windows Store fodder.

Top Bottom