• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel claims Vega M beats 6GB 1060-MaxQ (CES 2018)

llien

Yes, Intel, not AMD.
For gamers it apparently means more gaming notebook options.

If you missed that, Intel and AMD have partnered to develop "sorta APU" chip, with HBM equipped Vega connected to Intel's CPU using Intel's tech.

XHIXDia.png

38L7cKH.png

rswMIIl.png

wAeNAlG.png

Slides were posted on a crappy wcc, but, hell, it's Intel's slides (and I have seen them in video review)

Nikodemos

This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

A company hyping the competitor's product. Yes, I'm aware Intel and AMD don't actually compete in GPUs. It's still odd.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

A company hyping the competitor's product. Yes, I'm aware Intel and AMD don't actually compete in GPUs. It's still odd.
This is not that weird. It's basically the same thing as the x64 and x86 thing. Everyone wins

Hubble

The Intel-AMD chip is tiny. Great news. Great competition to make these graphic cards smaller and more efficient. Really hope this will speeden up GPU tech with Nvidia.

LordOfChaos

Desktop vega was pushed well past its optimal perf/watt point out of fear of Nvidia performance, the laptop ones would fare better already since they're lower clocked and it does better there. And the multichip module here claims 18 watts of power are eliminated from the shared power delivery system, and then there's no GDDR5. Even the hyperefficient Pascal would be hard pressed to compete with this combo.

It's very interesting what is happening right now. We've been saying for years (even us who've always been Intel-Nvidia bois); AMD and Radeon being competitive is better for all of us.

XPS 15 2-in-1 has been announced with this combo. Why is this exciting?

Because we're getting closer and closer to actual Laptops that can be proper machines for professionals and capable at gaming. The Macbook Pros lack of touch display makes it ill suited for creatives (artists, painters, sculptures, architects, retouchers, designers) who benefit from the pen display.

Meanwhile you have countless thin-and-light petty ultrabooks mascarading as actual productivity machines with their 15 watt CPU that has to turbo itself if more than 5 chrome tabs are open at once. Those machines are not good for heavy workloads, and the turbo feels pointless when it overheats and throttle itself after a few minutes.
Gaming machines also lack touch displays dispite having power.

XPS15 2-in-1 and Lenovo Yoga 720 15 are both really interesting hybrid options right now. Gaming laptops need to move past the black-and-red styling in both looks and in its thinking. I'm tired of the big guys like ASUS, Corsair, Lenovo, Dell and Acer reducing gamers to these monolithic morons who like that hyper aggressive styling. Most people who enjoy games also do a whole bunch of other shit on their machine. The focus on making gaming laptops that are ill suited for other tasks needs to stop!

You got the Surface Book 2, but at 3200 dollars for a spec that matters, it's more than an insult.

llien

HP's Spectre appeared on German online shop. 1799 Euro MSRP (to put it in perspective, one with 940Mx sells for 1599 Euro) for these specs (availability: 5th of April):

• Intel Core i7-8 8705G Prozessor (bis zu 4,1 GHz), Quad-Core
  • 39,6 cm (15") Ultra-HD 16:9 Touch LED Display (glänzend), Webcam
  • 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Fingerprint
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega M Grafik (4096 MB), HDMI, 2 x Thunderbolt™ 3, WLAN-
  • Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, Akkulaufzeit bis 12 h, 2,1 kg

https://www.cyberport.de/notebook-u...-15-ch004ng-2in1-notebook-i7-8705g-uhd-4.html

Last edited:
HP's Spectre appeared on German online shop. 1799 Euro MSRP (to put it in perspective, one with 940Mx sells for 1599 Euro) for these specs (availability: 5th of April):

• Intel Core i7-8 8705G Prozessor (bis zu 4,1 GHz), Quad-Core
  • 39,6 cm (15") Ultra-HD 16:9 Touch LED Display (glänzend), Webcam
  • 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Fingerprint
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega M Grafik (4096 MB), HDMI, 2 x Thunderbolt™ 3, WLAN-
  • Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, Akkulaufzeit bis 12 h, 2,1 kg

https://www.cyberport.de/notebook-u...-15-ch004ng-2in1-notebook-i7-8705g-uhd-4.html

Incredible. So what HP did here was that they added 1.1 mm of thickness while Dell made their thinner.

If you're someone who is going to rotorscope on this in after effects, or edit for 8 hours a day in premiere, you seriously want the machine that has adequette cooling.

This is the most exciting new development in laptop tech since the introduction of Optimus. This collaboration between AMD and Intel is huge. I'm a Nvidia / Intel guy and I am so happy that the red team is killing it. What a legendary resurgence after Nvidias laptop GPU domination for more than a decade. You have to go back to the early 2000s to a time when Radeon GPUs were competitive in laptops. At a time when gaming laptops was a massive joke. How far we've come.

Top Bottom