• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Unveils 10nm Sunny Cove CPU Architecture

Posted for EssKayZee EssKayZee

Intel made a series of announcements today as part of its "Architecture Day," including a new CPU architecture called Sunny Cove, a next-generation integrated graphics solution, and perhaps most interesting, a 3D chip design breakthrough that could dictate how future processors are made.

"Sunny Cove enables reduced latency and high throughput, as well as offers much greater parallelism that is expected to improve experiences from gaming to media to data-centric applications,

"The new integrated graphics architecture is expected to double the computing performance-per-clock compared to Intel Gen9 graphics. With >1 TFLOPS performance capability, this architecture is designed to increase game playability," Intel said.

[···] Sunny Cove is slated to arrive in the second half of next year [···]If Sunny Cove delivers the kind of IPC (instructions per clock) and overall improvements Intel promises, we could see it cannibalizing Cannon Lake [···]

Much more details at the following link:
PC Gamer: Intel aims to keep AMD at bay with its 10nm Sunny Cove CPU architecture

The CPU space is about to become much more interesting

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
tenor.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
1 TF from this CPU. Cool! How many flops does the PS4, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One X produce?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1 TF from this CPU. Cool! How many flops does the PS4, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One X produce?

About 102+/- Gflops I believe, but that is irrelevant to this, they use GPU cores (obviously) for the 3D graphics operations.

The CPU is not >1TF, the new Integrated Graphics (Gen11) solution is.

Pushing integrated graphics to 1 TFLOPS

To go along with a new CPU architecture, Intel also unveiled a new round of integrated graphics dubbed Gen11. It has 64 enhanced execution units (EUs), which is more than double the current generation Gen9 solution with 24 EUs.

The way the OP is structured, makes for it to be a little confusing.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Second half of next year will mean the next gen of Ryzen will be out, right?

I'll be upgrading my pc build sometime before Cyberpunk 2077, so hopefully all the good stuff will be out by then.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
About 102+/- Gflops I believe, but that is irrelevant to this, they use GPU cores (obviously) for the 3D graphics operations.

The CPU is not >1TF, the new Integrated Graphics (Gen11) solution is.

The way the OP is structured, makes for it to be a little confusing.

Oh okay thanks. I was about to say. That makes more sense now.

General computing tflops vs massively parallel gpu derived tflops are in completely different sectors. Like comparing apples to cookies. The former being much more complicated and challenging to bring to the consumer. General computing flops are much more exciting imo. See how much excitement programmable shaders brought to gpu's.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Great to hear Intel moving to a new architecture and process in 2019.

1 TF iGPU is also good, wonder if they'll bring back massive eDRAM like they had for Iris Pro.

LordOfChaos

This isn't everything, but I find this interesting

Sunny Cove is a fundamentally wider core than most every Intel design since Sandy Bridge, as well, expanding from four-wide issue to five-wide and increasing the number of execution ports from eight to 10. Each of those execution units, in turn, is more capable than those of Skylake. Intel added a dedicated integer divider on port 1 to reduce latency for those operations.​
Contrast to
Monsoon (A11) was a major microarchitectural update in terms of the mid-core and backend. It’s there that Apple had shifted the microarchitecture in Hurricane (A10) from a 6-wide decode from to a 7-wide decode. The most significant change in the backend here was the addition of two integer ALU units, upping them from 4 to 6 units.

Monsoon (A11) and Vortex (A12) are extremely wide machines – with 6 integer execution pipelines among which two are complex units, two load/store units, two branch ports, and three FP/vector pipelines this gives an estimated 13 execution ports, far wider than Arm’s upcoming Cortex A76 and also wider than Samsung’s M3. In fact, assuming we're not looking at an atypical shared port situation, Apple’s microarchitecture seems to far surpass anything else in terms of width, including desktop CPUs.
-AT

Intels move up here is great, but for me it also highlights how ambitious this mobile chip was, too ambitious to stay in that space forever imo...

LordOfChaos

Great to hear Intel moving to a new architecture and process in 2019.

1 TF iGPU is also good, wonder if they'll bring back massive eDRAM like they had for Iris Pro.

I think almost everyone but Anandtech (of course) messed up reporting this.

Iris Plus was already near 1Tflop, so just crossing that in one generation would not be impressive. But Intel was talking about GT2, not GT3e like Iris Plus, so this is for mid range parts, and GT3e will scale beyond that, plus a new even larger part with four slices.

Top Bottom