• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interest surge for PS3 and Wii at Amazon Japan

Angelcurio

Interest surge for PS3 and Wii at Amazon Japan

Interest for next-generation offerings like Sony's Playstation 3 and Nintendo's Wii surged this week at online retail division Amazon Japan.

Both the PS3 and Wii saw a jump in interest as both machines near a holiday launch in the territory. The 60GB PS3 SKU came out a nose ahead of the Wii in Amazon Japan's latest information registration data.

Nintendo announced this week that it will drop Wii to Japan on Dec. 2 for 25,000 yen or $212 U.S. Competitor Sony will launch the PS3 several weeks prior on Nov. 11 starting at 59,800 yen.

Sony slashed forecast shipments from 4 million to 2 million units to the Japan and U.S. after a delay in production for a key machine component. Japan will receive 100,000 PS3 units for launch. The U.S. will receive 400,000 units.

Nintendo maintains that it will ship 4 million Wii units to the U.S., Japan, and Europe by the end of 2006.

Amazon Japan is allowing customers to pre-order an array of software for both the PS3 and Wii. The U.S. division is currently allowing pre-orders for select PS3 and Wii titles

Link: http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=2970

You can check the amazon site here:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos...ef=amb_right-2_45076906_1/250-5747582-7620246

The 60gb ps3 and Wii are going neck to neck. If we take in consideration the 20gb ps3 model, the ps3 has the advantage.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BenjaminBirdie said:
So, something will have 100,000 available at launch has the same demand as something that will have 2,000,000? This is going to be spectacular.

Logic will be twisted and broken to shreds.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
m0dus said:
Er. . . I'm all for guarded optimisim, but honestly,

You started here:
greenwood-avenue-cottages-cluster-of-houses-thumb.jpg

And ended up here:
im-jupiter.jpg

Please fill in the blanks?

So true.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
MrMeltdown said:
so its 100,000 ps3s competing with 500,000 wii's neck and neck at launch?

One would assume Sony will be trying to get more PS3s into the channel subsequent to launch. To see how many they get out there by the time Wii releases will be interesting.

Pellham

Banned
Sir Speedy said:
I'm not shocking you thought he was serious.

I thought he was serious :lol

Unless Sony announces a $300 pricedrop, I don't think anyone should seriously think that the PS3 will be a hit among anyone that isn't a hardcore enthusiast.

Mario said:
One would assume Sony will be trying to get more PS3s into the channel subsequent to launch. To see how many they get out there by the time Wii releases will be interesting.

The Wii releases 21 days after...The Ps3 won't be able to compete. Seriously Nintendo just has to have an add that says that the Wii is the DS Lites older brother and they've got Japan in the bag.

lets see day one japan

Zelda

Wii sports

Pokemon

Tamaguchi

Wario ware wii

5 killer apps representing Bombar and the death of playstaton deathstar in japan

Tellaerin

Yep, day one sales are going to determine the course of an entire hardware generation. Uh-huh, makes perfect sense. Riiiiiight.

Tellaerin said:
Yep, day one sales are going to determine the course of an entire hardware generation. Uh-huh, makes perfect sense. Riiiiiight.
damn, i know it won't but with allthe non-gamer indication going on in japan, it looks that way

TheDuce22

Banned
I like how people are talking about Sony "raising the white flag" in japan when it exactly the opposite. They know they have no real competition over there so they made north america their prioriity. Do people honestly believe sony would just concede defeat in japan? They dont think its defeat is at all possible over there, I agree with them.

TheDuce22 said:
I like how people are talking about Sony "raising the white flag" in japan when it exactly the opposite. They know they have no real competition over there so they made north america their prioriity. Do people honestly believe sony would just concede defeat in japan? They dont think its defeat is at all possible over there, I agree with them.

I seriously hope Sony isn't thinking like that (I don't think they are).

BenjaminBirdie said:
So, something will have 100,000 available at launch has the same demand as something that will have 2,000,000? This is going to be spectacular.
I can't tell if this post is serious or not.

How demand for a 50000+ yen product can be about the same as a 25000 yen product is beyond me.

More than double the price, yet still a direct competitor? Not in this lifetime.

TheDuce22 said:

if you really think sony has it easie rthis time arond, you are in for a shock, all nintendo needs to do is convert have of the ds non-gamers and its prettymuch over.

Tarjeta Prepagada said:
Convert half the non gamers who bought DS so far in Japan and you still got nowhere near 20 million kind sir.

plus the regulars. it is funny how many seem to think ps3 has a clear win in japan. we nintendo has made old men and women to line up for games. then, that is cause for alarm for sony.

Tellaerin

Tarjeta Prepagada said:
How demand for a 50000+ yen product can be about the same as a 25000 yen product is beyond me.

More than double the price, yet still a direct competitor? Not in this lifetime.

That seems reasonable enough - but by the same token, the same logic should apply to the PSP and the DS. Like the PSP, the PS3 caters to those looking for high-end graphics and traditional gameplay. Meanwhile, the less-expensive Wii provides less dazzling visuals than the competition, but promises innovative gameplay experiences thanks to an alternative input device, making it analogous to the DS.

Oddly enough, whenever anyone here claimed those two machines weren't competing directly for marketshare and were targeting different audiences, DS fans would shoot the notion down.

It's safe to say that if the Wii and the PS3 aren't considered to be in competition for the same market segment, then neither are the DS and the PSP. :p

Top Bottom