• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting discovery about Diablo 3 item random generation of rerolls.

HF2014

Been playing on Ps4 a fresh new season necromancer, doing bounties, went to level 81gr, and was having difficulty getting further. So i decide to use a kind of little trick to get more chance to get my weapon which was normal into an ancient legendary. The trick is simple : Try your reforge on the item you want upgrade, and if not succesful, press the ps button, quit the application, reload the game, try again, and you get new chances, since the system didnt auto save yet. It was working well in non - season items, giving new chance, but seasonal item, have a different coding, which make me think this could apply to PC too.

The item i tried this trick in is my Jesseth Skullcrusher. I was having an extra one i kept in stash and use the reroll on this items. I tried my trick on it and made this freakin unbelievable discovery: The random chance attach to X particular item is already code in the item. I have tried the trick like about 6 time untill i realise my 4 reroll gave me the same numbers every time, 2193,2126,2017 and 2152. Im adding also that iv try to make the system save again, in the different town, same result, the random numbers were the same even if system saved again in the new town before i start my rerolls.

To see if the random number was attach to the bounty items, i decide instead to reroll my equipped weapon. Et voila, different numbers! And luckily, got an ancient roll in 3rd try, but still, it made me realise that in the item coding, the random chance of changing are the same, its already planified.

So i think if you got an item that you try to reroll x millions on time, maybe there is some item that will allow a change only after a random number of time. I was thinking it was more about luck and time, guess its not it, its the item that is already coded!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm not sure I exactly understand what you're saying, but I used to do that "trick" back when I was playing D3 on PS4. You can use it in ... other ways.... I found myself relying on it too much and it decreased the awesome feeling of unearthing an awesome item.

I really wish the PS4 versions were like the PC versions, always online.

Robin64

It won't apply to PC, by the way, that version is always online and everything is instantly saved.

HF2014

That's called savescumming. I know it well from DOAX3's poker minigames.

Well thanks for the info, didnt knew it was called something. But still , how it apply on items in seasons, it just indicate that each item are already coded on Blizzard side somehow. The savescumming did gave me back my bounty reward to make me do it again, im just surprise it always give me the same numbers on X item. On non-season items, it doesnt do that, it always change the numbers.

Well thanks for the info, didnt knew it was called something. But still , how it apply on items in seasons, it just indicate that each item are already coded on Blizzard side somehow. The saves cumming did gave me back my bounty reward to make me do it again, im just surprise it always give me the same numbers on X item. On non-season items, it doesnt do that, it always change the numbers.

save scumming :) don't want you to accidentally say that wrong at the wrong time.

foxdvd

That was patched right before season 11 so the leader boards were fair...Last season on the ps4 EVERYONE had perfect primal legendary items in every slot...

On the PC, it is still random with every roll..on the ps4 all your future rolls are already determined..(not sure how far out)

Even if you make 20 rare swords, and upgrade them..it will be the exact same 20 swords every time you load your save...

There still is a small way around this, but it is not as effective a cheat as it was before season 11.

By the way, this was the best thing they did for the ps4....I hated the temptation..

HF2014

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you're saying, but I used to do that "trick" back when I was playing D3 on PS4. You can use it in ... other ways.... I found myself relying on it too much and it decreased the awesome feeling of unearthing an awesome item.

I really wish the PS4 versions were like the PC versions, always online.

Well,seasons made that on console, you cant reroll infinite numbers of time as i was saying, each item is now lock to always give you the same numbers, probably because they are saved. Yes u can savecum to get back the bounty reward, but applying em to the same item will always give you the same result.

HF2014

That was patched right before season 11 so the leader boards were fair...Last season on the ps4 EVERYONE had perfect primal legendary items in every slot...

On the PC, it is still random with every roll..on the ps4 all your future rolls are already determined..(not sure how far out)

Even if you make 20 rare swords, and upgrade them..it will be the exact same 20 swords every time you load your save...

There still is a small way around this, but it is not as effective a cheat as it was before season 11.

By the way, this was the best thing they did for the ps4....I hated the temptation..

Maybe the way items are made on PC is also like that, just thinking. Sure you cant reroll again since is server side, but maybe all items are just random coded like that and on some you will lose lost of time trying to change and some you will do it easy. I think Blizzard apply how the items are coded on PC on PS4.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well,seasons made that on console, you cant reroll infinite numbers of time as i was saying, each item is now lock to always give you the same numbers, probably because they are saved. Yes u can savecum to get back the bounty reward, but applying em to the same item will always give you the same result.

Didn't even realize there were seasons on console. Has the item hacking/duping stopped? I'd start playing again tonight if so.

John_B

The developers made some recent changes to specifically discourage this cheat. It's hard not to do it when you know you can progress much quicker in an easy way. I stopped doing it and when you finally acquire a good item it's much more satisfying.

RS4-

It used to work on PC, you'd look at the rolls you got but not select them; just walk away from the shop or whatever it was. I think it didn't cost you anything to do either.

HF2014

The developers made some recent changes to specifically discourage this cheat. It's hard not to do it when you know you can progress much quicker in an easy way. I stopped doing it and when you finally acquire a good item it's much more satisfying.

Well, i decide to try it to see if it work still, it does not. Only thing savescumming will do is give you back your component youve lost, but trying it again on the same item will always give the same result. In a way, cheating as stop. Only lucky side i got trying it is getting my component back, but trying it on a different weapon which i was having in double, and now it gave me something different. Only way to reroll your item and have different results is if you get another one. In a way your losing time trying to do it snd there is still no garsntee that trying it on a different item will give you what you want. I just got lucky my second weapon gave me a result i like. God knows how item codes are. You could have an item that will change to ancient after 3 try, and you could have an item that could change after 20 tries.

My point with this thread was that i thought random chance were just random when you get an ancient, like a random switch. I realise its just code in the item already, and i believe its how the PC version also work.

Top Bottom