• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal batteries ARE AN ANTI CONSUMER SCAM

What do You think?

• Internal is perfect. No complaints

Votes: 168 29.3%
  • Internal is anti consumer but I do not care

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Internal would be great if they offered replacements

Votes: 96 16.7%
  • Battery door would be better for options

Votes: 245 42.7%
  • I DO NOT CARE AT ALL

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters
Physical copies is important but similar topic. Digital only on console is taking away choice, pricing, ownership… everything really.
I will buy physical games as long as the disc version is playable. Just for principle and because there were many examples where digital versions had stuff like music removed or delisted etc
See.

After the announcement of Dualsense Pro Edge controller I must come back to his tragic topic.
Many of you have been fooled. Made to think that internal batteries are somehow "comfortable".
This will be yet another 200$ controller with internal battery and no official way to replace it and not other options to power it.
Sony is not selling official replacements for internal batteries and you are stuck with what you get or aftermarket crap.

Internal batteries usage type:
-Use the controller until it depletes
-Connect and play
-Or stop playing, connect and wait with charger
-Controller dies few % each year. A bit with every recharge cycle.
-10-20 years, you get what's happening to ps3 controllers now. Very short or dead battery life. Looking for aftermarket replacements. No official replacements available.

BATTER DOOR ON A CONTROLLER:
-Use AA/AAA
-Use AA/AAA rechargeables
-Possible higher capacity
-Possible different brands
-Can have 2 pairs and swap in an instant - never have to connect to a console or charger to charge and wait.
-Possibility to use Play'n'charge kit that takes place of battery door and just charges with usb c cable normally. Can replace these. Sony could make em just like m$.
-Possibility (in concept, maybe some controller does this) to just charge batteries inside a controller. So just using it exactly like internal but with a batter door do be able to swap dying batteries after years.

There are absolutely no drawbacks to having a batter door on a controller for AA/AAA batteries/rechargeables / play and charge kits.
Your controller will never die.
You will never have to wait for it to charge potentially.
In 20 years, you will just put in new batteries and go.

BUILT-IN Batteries are anti consumer. Create waste products.
Lithiuum Ion batteries are dying and will die. Your every device with internal battery WILL DIE. It's a sad state we accepted this with phones so fight-free.
Even if Sony offered new internal batteries replacements... that would be awesome but they will not do that in years and years after ps4/5 and AAA/AA is a standard tech.

Realistically, I know this probably not a real concern as some after market internals will always be available... But it's not idea... is it ?

In 10-20 years I’ll be playing on PS9

coffinbirth

I bought a second PS3 when the super slim was end of life. The Dualshock 3 that came with it is basically still in as new condition and whenever I charge it it lasts for weeks.
The cells degrade from USE.
Working under the assumption that people concerned enough with battery life to comment about it on the internet would actually have a reason, but here we are.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The cells degrade from USE.
Working under the assumption that people concerned enough with battery life to comment about it on the internet would actually have a reason, but here we are.
That’s not true.
Lithium ion batteries degrade just as much sitting in a drawer…. Depending on what charge you left it and other conditions

Last edited:

Crayon

I'd rather change out the internal battery every 7 years.

Managing a bunch of recharchable nimh batteries is not any easier than keeping all these internal-battery controllers charged. Wish it was.

Otherwise, if you think this is a battleground of consumer rights, you are a freak. Go be in the circus so your family can never speak of you again and get on with their lives.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'd rather change out the internal battery every 7 years.

Managing a bunch of recharchable nimh batteries is not any easier than keeping all these internal-battery controllers charged. Wish it was.

Otherwise, if you think this is a battleground of consumer rights, you are a freak. Go be in the circus so your family can never speak of you again and get on with their lives.
It’s the small things. I am not saving the world and running for President.
With your way of thinking… can every non essential product be crap with planned obsolescence?!

coffinbirth

That’s not true.
Lithium ion batteries degrade just as much sitting in a drawer…. Depending on what charge you left it and other conditions
Well yes, but to the extent of this example, they will degrade much faster with use and repeated charge/discharge. Doubly so if you don't do a full discharge and charge cycle every time. They can also swell(see PSP)leak and potentially explode simply by sitting in a drawer as well.

Crayon

It’s the small things. I am not saving the world and running for President.
With your way of thinking… can every non essential product be crap with planned obsolescence?!

This is a little prefference thing. Batteries end up in a landfill. I can easily chanve a set of aa's many times, or I can change an internal pack once even tho it's a pain. I'm not saying you can't care about it, but overstating the case as an affront is... I guess it's in fashion.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is a little prefference thing. Batteries end up in a landfill. I can easily chanve a set of aa's many times, or I can change an internal pack once even tho it's a pain. I'm not saying you can't care about it, but overstating the case as an affront is... I guess it's in fashion.
Sony offering new internal batteries would be a good starter sure.

Crayon

Sony offering new internal batteries would be a good starter sure.

The plugs and cells are generic. I can find my own battery. I would just like the compartment to be accessible with maybe a screw or even a star bit. Also a little wiggle room in there would be nice. It's easy to find a battery pack with the right spec and plug, but it's annoying when they don't quite fit.

Taking apart a PS4 controller is crazy. There are some things you take apart and they might feel a little like they're going to break or a lot like they're going to break. I have never pulled something apart that was as harrowing as a PS4 controller. While prying the body shell apart, I was positive that something was going to break. It didn't, though. I just really want that little access door for the battery.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

fucking moonlanding was faked
batteries ARE FAKE
controllers don't need power

Del_X

I've maintained that batteries are better since the 360 days. Just have a pair or a little pack in a USB charger and swap it out. My PlayStation controllers are always dead.

TLZ

Banned
Also, I had/still have very bad time at work and I am probably stressed. I noticed I get annoyed really really easily.... over nothing.
I've noticed you've been pretty agitated lately. Haven't noticed that before. Or maybe you were but you're even more now. I know life throws crap at you sometimes but try to cope. For your own health.

I do like internal batteries, but I also do agree that there should be access to them. A door would help instead of having to open up the controller. Like they do with their HDDs and SSDs.

none of my controllers with rechargeable batteries have died (e.g., ps3). gameboy SP still going strong too.
helps to baby them... dont keep them plugged in at full charge, let them drain all the way to 0 power when you can.

im on the fence though... rechargeable AA batteries (eneloop) are so easy to swap and i love the weight they add, but rechargeable usb feels like the premium solution... and once the usb battery does die, you can replacement it with a much higher capacity battery, and battery tech will keep getting better/cheaper (though it might be a pain to replace).

so i guess... im slightly in the rechargeable AA camp.

Lasha

It will still work.

DS3 and DS4 function wired even if the battery is absent. The dual sense won't turn on if there is any issue with the battery. I found this out while replacing drifting sticks. I thought that I had made a mistake soldering until I reconnected the battery.

badblue

ive used internal battery controllers for 10 years that still work well so...no..
Great that the controller has lasted you ten years but imagine if the battery died after two. Now what? Would you rather pay full price for a new controller when the battery dies or would you rather just be able to buy just a new battery?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Thanks. You are probably right. I don't have kids and maybe I have too much free time.
Also, I had/still have very bad time at work and I am probably stressed. I noticed I get annoyed really really easily.... over nothing.

Isn't offering basic repair parts a given?
Same, no kids, not married. I’m work a lot…but I’m definitely not worried about internal batteries lol. Either way, thanks for sharing, and I hope you are well.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
What a stupid response. I disagree it's a scam but he brings some valid points. This is a video game forum.
What a stupid response to a stupid response 🤷‍♂️. Listen, I know it’s a video game forum, believe it or not, I’ve been here a long time. I’ve seen plenty of pointless threads, and this is one of them. It’s about batteries for christ sale, not even video games…fucking batteries.

Three

What's cool with the Xbox is if my controller dies while gaming, i can just slap new batteries in. With PlayStation I would have to have a 2nd controller charged when the first one runs out power, or use a long usb cable. Then long term, internal batteries will explode at some point causing a fire, meanwhile AAs just leak if you are using cheap batteries.
If you have two controllers for multiplayer already wouldn't just pressing the button on the second controller be easier than fiddling with battery compartments and putting AAs in a charger? Or are people really buying second controllers because they have 12hr long play sessions or forget to charge it? You can just charge it with any usb phone battery pack and don't need long wires to charge btw. Hell if it bothers you that much just buy a pair of these

https://amzn.eu/d/c3kNvtd

You will have 25hr battery life and much easier hotswappable batteries.

Last edited:

radewagon

Hey OP, sorry everyone's giving you such a hard time. While I don't know that internal batteries are inherently anti-consumer, I do see that it could easily be seen as such. In defense of Internal batteries, they help to keep the size of our tech down because they are smaller than the kinds of AA and AAA that we'd end up using. There is also the convenience factor, obviously. In opposition, though, as you said, they will eventually die and game companies rarely offer replacement parts. Internal batteries are easy to lump into the category of choices that could easily be part of planned obsolescence (which is very anti-consumer).

That said, I've replaced many internal batteries on gamepades and portables with aftermarket parts from third parties, so it's not so bad. I'm much more frustrated by internal batts in phones since they are often inside cases that are absolutely ridiculous to open up.

Z O N E

For me the issue is the PS5 controllers battery is just straight up dogshit when you compare to the Xbox.

My Xbox Elite Series 2 controller can last me 24+ hours, my PS5 controller can barely last 7/8 hours.

I don't use vibration, or the new triggers or even use gyro. I genuinely don't understand why the PS5 controller is that hungry while my Xbox controller can last over 24 hours. Makes no sense other than Sony using dogshit internal batteries.

BreakOut

The money I save with batteries before I have to replace the controller based on batteries will pay for the controller two times over if not more. I can use my PS4 controller from years and years ago from the original PlayStation 4 for 2-3 hours still. Batteries are expensive as hell. Not to mention just a bunch of waste. I’ll take an internal battery.

PJX

What MS does is a lot more "anti consumer". Their controller come with regular AA batteries not even rechargeable ones, it's unbelievably overpriced in comparison to the competition when you take features in consideration, including not even having a rechargeable battery.

It's better for the player if he has to buy the controller and then a charging kit? I disagree.
Not sure how you fooled yourself into believing this bullshit.

Three

One of the easiest things to change in the Dualsense.

You can even get a 2600mAh right now if you're unsatisfied with the original 1560mAh.

Get used to DIY. People have been doing it with everything else through centuries.

I like the fact that he uses curtain hooks.

BlackTron

I just saw your post in the Edge thread and was already thinking about how exasperated I get when someone doesn't want to buy a controller because it DOESN'T come with a built-in battery. But I wouldn't have made my own thread, so now you gave me the chance to say it.

It's quite a shame because there have been some otherwise very fine controllers ruined by the battery situation. I've been maining 360 and Wavebirds for TWENTY FRICKING YEARS till Series came along.

I wish everything under the sun just took AA.

BlackTron

If in 10 years you don't need to open your controller to do some repairs, you ain't even using it. By then you should be comfortable changing the rechargeable battery if it gives up. Way better than spending hundreds of dollars buying AA batteries over 10 years.

Just recharge AA batteries instead of the one that comes in a controller.

-always have the next set charged and ready, no need to interrupt wireless gameplay
-never use a cable again or put wear on the port
-standard battery available anywhere that works in a lot of stuff
-no invasive procedure to change the battery
-you can still use a bog standard AA in a pinch, just in case

I literally got an 8 pack of AA's the other day with a charger for like 10 bucks that will keep all my 360/Series/Wavebirds going for years.

Some of these things are 20 years old and I never even had to take them apart just to change a battery.

Three

yes. Phones used to have swappable batteries. The rush to make everything as impossibly thin as possible has removed them entirely. It's dumb but that's just how it is
i can go on for hours and hours about the shittons of features phones have removed either thanks to the chase of becoming thinner, or Apple's shitty decisions reverbating across the entire smartphone industry. Don't set me off
Keep in mind that while there is a race to make them thin the removed housing from a removable battery pack has increased your battery mAh for the same thickness.

TexMex

We’ve gotten hilariously liberal with the definition of “anti consumer” lately.

Internal battery for life. I’ve never had one die and wouldn’t ever use a controller long enough for that to ever be a concern. If you still use your 360 controller or whatever, good for you, don’t care. Prolonging the life of a decade old controller is something I’ll never give a shit about.

coffinbirth

DS3 and DS4 function wired even if the battery is absent. The dual sense won't turn on if there is any issue with the battery. I found this out while replacing drifting sticks. I thought that I had made a mistake soldering until I reconnected the battery.
Yeah, just found this out. Totally uncool.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You want a battery compartment with exchangeable batteries?
You've never lived with a woman have you...🤨

Lasha

Any device without user replaceable batteries is functionally disposable. Game controllers do not fall into that category because the batteries are easily replaceable. Even portable consoles like the switch can get a new battery with little effort.

What we need to stand up to is the glut of other electronics whose batteries require specialized equipment to replace or can't be replaced at all. Any effort to stymie repairability should be rejected. Not for consumer reasons though. I want to stem the massive tide of electronic waste.

Top Bottom