• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

What about Xbox games release dates? Some games (GOW Ultimated Edition for example) are released first in the US and after 2-3 days in Europe. If I purchase the game from the European store can I somehow play the game when it is officially released in the US? (maybe by changing the region of my X1 console?!?!)
Thanks

The region you buy the game from dictates what time the game unlocks. If you buy from US marketplace you get it at the same time as all other US-buyers. (Midnight release date US Eastern time)

I know the game would obviously work on all regions, but are the codes not locked? If not then GAME will work yeah, if it doesn't work pal just set to UK and it will.

XBL codes aren't region locked except for individual currency cards afaik, Microsoft are not one for those "lets segregate into NA/EU/Asia" divisions, whilst it has some drawbacks for some of the regions Xbox is less popular in everything is done through Redmond and all their stuff like that is region free as well as one certification process.

XBL, game codes, trials, DLC codes etc are region free, I would be shocked if you had any issues getting the code to redeem. You could also redeem it on the UK store if you really wanted to, but I can't see it being a problem

XBL codes aren't region locked except for individual currency cards afaik, Microsoft are not one for those "lets segregate into NA/EU/Asia" divisions, whilst it has some drawbacks for some of the regions Xbox is less popular in everything is done through Redmond and all their stuff like that is region free as well as one certification process.

XBL, game codes, trials, DLC codes etc are region free, I would be shocked if you had any issues getting the code to redeem. You could also redeem it on the UK store if you really wanted to, but I can't see it being a problem

Gears is a special case. Game is banned in Germany. On 360 you could not buy Gears 1 digitally using other marketplaces because the download was ip locked. I'm waiting on confirmation that the game actually downloads correctly before i buy.

Broman1978

Sorry for asking this again as I believe many have already asked this, I just want to be sure!

My Xbox is set to Sweden
If I change to US and buy a $50 card from http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/gift-cards-points
(Will I get the code in my email?)

Can I buy games digitally from US Marketplace (Much cheaper than in Sweden)
And then change back to Sweden and play with my account as usual?

Anything I have to think of?

bc85

Neo Member
I've followed the guide in the OP but getting "Something went Wrong" message when trying to redeem on console or website. Have $60 code that wont redeem.

Any ideas?

Keys

Sorry for asking this again as I believe many have already asked this, I just want to be sure!

My Xbox is set to Sweden
If I change to US and buy a $50 card from http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/gift-cards-points

Just do it from the browser, it's easier and the result is the same:
- go to xbox.com
- on the lower left of the page pick the country of the gift card you bought
- redeem it and buy the game it may ask you to put in a billing address just use the vpost method mentioned in the OP
- after that the game will appear on your xbox game list, you don't have to change the xbox region

And btw you can buy US gift card at cost from amazon.com, you just need an US billing address.
I did it several times even with other country stores and always worked.

Broman1978

- go to xbox.com
- redeem it and buy the game it may ask you to put in a billing address just use the vpost method mentioned in the OP
- after that the game will appear on your xbox game list, you don't have to change the xbox region

And btw you can buy US gift card at cost from amazon.com, you just need an US billing address.

Thanks, Will try it =)

I've followed the guide in the OP but getting "Something went Wrong" message when trying to redeem on console or website. Have $60 code that wont redeem.

Any ideas?

Nope, I used the OP-way to do it two days ago without any issues.

My Xbox is set to Sweden

- go to xbox.com

Pretty much what Keys said. Although I would add that unless you prefer the swedish language dashboard you can change Xbox region and stay in there without any problems. I'm Swedish too and my Xbox has been set to English/US since the console originally launched in 2013.

I highly recommend using Amazon as they are very reliable.

destroyer2usa

Neo Member
Buying with vpn and PayPal also works great.

Just bought Forza 6 Ultimate Edition from Singapore store.

Create Singapore PayPal account with virtual Debit card Singapore Details and Singapore VPN location and buy thru Singapore webstore.

DagsJT

Buying with vpn and PayPal also works great.

Just bought Forza 6 Ultimate Edition from Singapore store.

Create Singapore PayPal account with virtual Debit card Singapore Details and Singapore VPN location and buy thru Singapore webstore.

If you're using a VPN then you don't need to use PayPal, your card and a postcode/phone number should work fine.

If you want to use PayPal then you don't even need a VPN. I bought MGS V from Hong Kong using PayPal and it worked without VPN as I'm guessing it's not performing IP checks with PayPal purchases.

Lloytron

I've noticed that Brazil games seem really cheap now again. For some reason though I can't register my card on the Brazil Microsoft store.

Any tips on how to get Brazilian credit?

Barthanes

Neo Member
If you're using a VPN then you don't need to use PayPal, your card and a postcode/phone number should work fine.

If you want to use PayPal then you don't even need a VPN. I bought MGS V from Hong Kong using PayPal and it worked without VPN as I'm guessing it's not performing IP checks with PayPal purchases.

Did you create a HK Paypal or use your normal paypal for your purchase?

Here is a great guide for buying from the HK store for those who don't want to buy cards.

Basically you set up a Revolut account - which is a virtual credit card. You top this up with any amount you need want. You then add this unique card to a Hong Kong PayPal account (you need to set up a new one).

Add that PayPal account to your MS Hong Kong billing account and away you go.

Detailed guide is here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/bu...-in-first-post.1846057/page-208#post-22497554

Just picked up MGSV Digital Day 1 Bundle for just under £27 (v £59.99 on the UK store).

Dabanton

Think I'll do that later today. I'm not paying the frankly silly £59.99 price for the game on the UK store as I want it digitally.

Lloytron

Here is a great guide for buying from the HK store for those who don't want to buy cards.

Basically you set up a Revolut account - which is a virtual credit card. You top this up with any amount you need want. You then add this unique card to a Hong Kong PayPal account (you need to set up a new one).

Add that PayPal account to your MS Hong Kong billing account and away you go.

Detailed guide is here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/bu...-in-first-post.1846057/page-208#post-22497554

Just picked up MGSV Digital Day 1 Bundle for just under £27 (v £59.99 on the UK store).

Thanks! So did I thanks to that guide!

TheKeyPit

Banned
I did as mentioned in OP and it took me half an hour with slight adjustments until I could download Mad Max from the US store. Saved 1/4 of the price compared to buying in the german store.

Oynox

Would it work If I bought South African gift cards, switched console region to South Africa and then redeemed them to buy something?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Would it work If I bought South African gift cards, switched console region to South Africa and then redeemed them to buy something?

Yes.

Match Country Card with Country store and everything will work fine.
So:

HK Gift Card - HK Region - HK Store - HK Price
US Gift Card - US Region - US Store - US Price
SA Gift Card - SA Region - SA Store - SA Price
UK Gift Card - UK Region - UK Store - UK price
etc etc

Release dates and times are also tied to the region that you bought the game.

Why South Africa though, do they have some cheap prices?

Ah just the thread I was looking for. I plan on buying FIFA 16 early on XB1 through the US store, mainly to get a head start on UT. Does the DLC work like PS4, where I would need to buy US points to match the US game, or can I change my account region to US, buy the game, switch back to EU and buy fifa points that way? Or do they need to match?

jesu

Ah just the thread I was looking for. I plan on buying FIFA 16 early on XB1 through the US store, mainly to get a head start on UT. Does the DLC work like PS4, where I would need to buy US points to match the US game, or can I change my account region to US, buy the game, switch back to EU and buy fifa points that way? Or do they need to match?

Yeah you can just buy FIFA points from your local store and they'll work.
I did it last year with FIFA, works with every game though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So following the instructions I'm sure have been posted in this thread somewhere I could buy the Brazilian version and play and download it without issues?

Edit: Didn't actually find any detailed ones. How would you go about buying Brazilian credit and buying from that site, lol.

Yeah the Xbox doesnt really care what version of the game you bought.
Once it has been purchased you can go back to your home region if you want, DLC will work regardless of region the OG game was and the DLC is.

Just find a site that sells Brazillian XBL codes, preferably one that emails quick.
Google is your friend, unless someone from Brazil-GAF wants to give you a hand.

VaelinAlSorna

Neo Member
Buy it from the Russian store instead. It's only a 3€ difference in price (65€ total for Ultimate Edition, regular German price is 110€ lol).

That's what I just did.
Here's how:

• Go to https://www.microsoftstore.com
  • Change region to Russia (bottom left corner). Look for the Europe column and scroll down to the last third of the list. Look for something like "poccnr" (with the "r" being mirrored)
  • Let Google Translate take care of the Russian homepage (if using Chrome that should happen automatically)
  • type "xbox live" into the search bar and put 2x 2000 RUB and 1x 1000 RUB gift cards into your basket (game cost like 4980 RUB)
  • Go to checkout
  • Create your Russian profile, search for an address, etc. on Google (take a hotel)
  • Enter your credit card details and proceed to pay
  • Digital code is immediatly shown and also mailed to your email-inbox
  • Go to https://store.xbox.com
  • Repeat region selection
  • Login to your XBOX account and redeem the code
  • You now have 5000 RUB in your account
  • Buy game via webshop on https://store.xbox.com
  • ????
  • profit

No VPN or Russian credit card or whatever is needed.

Oynox

Why South Africa though, do they have some cheap prices?

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass has the cheapest price over there. And I was wondering how I could pick up the Gwint decks at the lowest price. I came to the conclusion it would be smart to buy the Expansion Pass in a cheap region and then do this code redemption thing.

But I think it is more convenient to buy it in a store... however, I really hope that they will release some kind of special edition for the second expansion as well.

SilentFlyer

I used a virtual card (Revolut) and that worked for me but it should work with any card, I think.

I created Paypal and linked that with Revolut card. However, Paypal charge $1 to verify the identity. But I cannot see the 4-digit code in Revolut transaction. Where did you find those 4-digit code?

Top Bottom