• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

Caayn

Can't buy the exit price in gift cards, it only goes HK$150, HK$300 and HK$600. Both on play-asia and the MS store.
Don't buy from play-asia. Buy directly from the HK Microsoft store.
The HK store says that it only physically ships the codes.

desu

Important update, my pre-order of Forza Horizon 3 that was done with Paypal back when MS still allowed it has just been completed. So the payment went through successfully.

Keys

I had $ 4 on my Singapore account and covered the rest with paypal for Forza Horizon 3.
I just got charged so that works too.

Broman1978

Don't buy from play-asia. Buy directly from the HK Microsoft store.

Do I recieve an email with the code when I buy from the HK Microsoft Store?
Then must I change my region to Hong Kong at Xbox.com and THEN be able to redeem the code and buy from HK Store?
Sorry if I´m dumb =P

TheKeyPit

Banned
Important update, my pre-order of Forza Horizon 3 that was done with Paypal back when MS still allowed it has just been completed. So the payment went through successfully.

Mine is listed as pending.

Do I recieve an email with the code when I buy from the HK Microsoft Store?
Then must I change my region to Hong Kong at Xbox.com and THEN be able to redeem the code and buy from HK Store?
Sorry if I´m dumb =P

Correct.

moeppel

Since when is it possible to buy anything from the US microsoft store site with a german paypal account? I do have a US adress attached to my german xbl account.

Bought horizon3 yesterday this way because of the 10usd gift card :)

faer0n

Since when is it possible to buy anything from the US microsoft store site with a german paypal account? I do have a US adress attached to my german xbl account.

Bought horizon3 yesterday this way because of the 10usd gift card :)

maybe you had some credit left and only paid for the rest with your paypal. then the origin of this account doesn't matter.

Does anyone else get a connection error when you try to change the location in the browser? only my home contr story is working

desu

It's possible since they unified their online stores, was around 3-4 weeks ago. Initially you could even completely pay with Paypal without any problems.

thenameDS

So is the new way to buy a gift card then pay the rest with PayPal?
Currently looking at getting Fifa 17 Super Deluxe but MS doesn't seem to sell India gift cards..

I should have just done this when they were allowing PayPal 2 weeks back :(

Edit: Never mind can't even pay in the India or South Africa store with PayPal..

TheKeyPit

Banned
Don't tell me you aren't buying the ultimate edition.

Ultimate edition owners get to play early on Friday 6pm our time if you buy from Hong Kong or Singapore.

It's 72€ on there.

After a bit of thinking(and playing the FH3 Demo) I canceled my pre-order of the Standard Edition and bought the Ultimate Edition.

It cost me ~78€.

Bought it from the Hong Kong store with the gift cards + paypal combo.

Is there any chance you could link me to the HK credit on the Microsoft Store site?
I'm only finding physical codes that need to be delivered to a HK address.

They only sell physical codes, that's why I use Play-Asia. Think I'll try this gift card/PayPal combination method next time though. Won't have $200HK left after a purchase like most times!

Theorry

Hmm people said that that now you can buy the rest of the purchase with paypal. But it doesnt work for me. Bought a gift card for Hong Kong for 300. What i want to buy is 386 and select "how do you want to pay the rest" my paypal and it says it doesnt work. I have a HK billing and added my paypal.

desu

Hmm people said that that now you can buy the rest of the purchase with paypal. But it doesnt work for me. Bought a gift card for Hong Kong for 300. What i want to buy is 386 and select "how do you want to pay the rest" my paypal and it says it doesnt work. I have a HK billing and added my paypal.

it's always possible that they closed this loophole now as well, guess we'll have to wait for more people to try it.

B4D1E

Yesterday I bought a Season Pass on the HK marketplace using this method, except I used my CC instead of Paypal.

TheKeyPit

Banned

3 days ago I was able to buy FH3 Ultimate with this credit + paypal combo.

Neil_J_UK

So new to buying from a foreign store - trying to buy FH3 Ultimate edition from HK store using VPN / Revolut, but I'm getting an error saying the 'the region where your payment method was issued and your store region need to match'.

So will it work if I do part payment with gift card, part with revolut card? From reading the comments here it seems so, but unsure if others are also having the same error as me.

TheKeyPit

Banned
So new to buying from a foreign store - trying to buy FH3 Ultimate edition from HK store using VPN / Revolut, but I'm getting an error saying the 'the region where your payment method was issued and your store region need to match'.

So will it work if I do part payment with gift card, part with revolut card? From reading the comments here it seems so, but unsure if others are also having the same error as me.

What we've been doing for ~2 pages is, changing your region on the xbox website, getting a gift card for that region, reddeming it on the website(while set to that region), then buying a game from that store and paying a portion with the account balance(which you got from the gift card), then paying the rest with your paypal account/credit card which you need to add for each region individually.

No guarantees that it still works.

ChazGW7

I am getting this same issue, first time trying myself. I have set my Windows 10 to Hong Kong, and im on the Hong Kong store. Redeemed the gift card fine, then I get this message when using my CC to pay the rest. Thoughts anyone?

f0eqmef.jpg

Neil_J_UK

What we've been doing for ~2 pages is, changing your region on the xbox website, getting a gift card for that region, reddeming it on the website(while set to that region), then buying a game from that store and paying a portion with the account balance(which you got from the gift card), then paying the rest with your paypal account/credit card which you need to add for each region individually.

No guarantees that it still works.

Added a HK gift card and tried the rest on the Revolut card but it didn't work. Tried it through Paypal and also got an error - but I've not done any region changing related to PayPal so that may be why?

ChazGW7

Yeah I tried the website and I also tried on the Store app on Windows 10 but I get the same message. Unless I am doing something else wrong, looks like MS have finally decided to address this...

Neil_J_UK

Yeah I can't figure out a way to get it to work - may just have to bite the bullet and pay for the game using gift cards entirely, costing me just as much as buying from the UK store. Ah well, at least I'll have a bit of leftover cash in my HK wallet.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Added a HK gift card and tried the rest on the Revolut card but it didn't work. Tried it through Paypal and also got an error - but I've not done any region changing related to PayPal so that may be why?

You shouldn't need to change anything on your paypal account.

You shouldn't need to change anything on your paypal account.

I thought you had to have a PayPal payment method in the same region you're buying from? I.e. if it's an Indian purchase you need an Indian bank account or credit card on your PayPal account?

Or have they changed it back again so any PayPal payment method works for any region?

ChazGW7

Yes, I redeemed two Hong Kong gift cards purchased from Play-Asia and used them to buy FH3 Ultimate Edition. Looks to have worked fine.

Theorry

Yes, I redeemed two Hong Kong gift cards purchased from Play-Asia and used them to buy FH3 Ultimate Edition. Looks to have worked fine.

We are talking about if you pay a part with gifts cards and the rest with paypal.
That worked before but i guess not anymore now.

thenameDS

Just bought FIFA 17 Super Deluxe with gift cards (South Africa) and worked. Glad this option is still working as of right now.
Also when paying for foreign purchases I recommend using your CC, PayPal seems to have the worst conversion rates ever.

Top Bottom