• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

interpols new album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are awsome...

Antics is great... excellent sophomore album.

I'm gonna see them for the second time next month in San Diego.... :D

Zilch

Banned
How can you guys say it's a disappointment?

The first time I heard it I wasn't amazed, but repeated listens raised my level of enjoyment. Like TOTBL, it's a collection of fun, not too deep songs.

I love TOTBL (prolly my favorite album of the last two years) and while Antics isn't up to that level, it has several really great songs. That said, I thought it was really disappointing at first and it took 10+ listens before a lot of the new songs really "clicked" with me. There's no obvious favorite like Obstacle 2, and the first single (Slow Hands) is weak.

I was waiting for threads such as these to make up my mind about buying it, but obviously, I am not being helped. :(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Damn good follow up album....this one takes longer to grow on you.

Antics is quite excellent. I don't know what everyone is on... sure it isn't better than TOTBL, but it is really damn close, and is a really solid album on it's own right. "Take You on a Cruise," "Narc, " "Public Pervert," "Not Even Jail..." I mean... come on. So many excellent songs. Can't wait to see them live in November.

Fatalah

I got this via leak about one month ago. The leak was in mono and at first, I thought the album was an uninspired rehash of 'bright lights'. after about a week, i loved it. its definitely great. thumbs up.

Alucard

Banned
I'll probably pick it up some time this week. I've heard a few tracks and have been impressed.

I really liked Turn on the Bright Lights despite the sometimes-odd choice of lyrics. I saw Interpol live last year as well and thought they put on a very good show. They're a very tight band.

I'm a bit late to the Interpol party, but I'm really enjoying "Turn on the Bright Lights". Given the fact that I've been on a CD binge as of late, I'll definitely be picking this up. I'm not sure how I let this band slip past me :(

bridegur

"Evil" is fantastic but I haven't heard the entire album yet. It seems decent enough. I got it with Brian Wilson's Smile today- that's an amazing album.

Alucard said:
I'll probably pick it up some time this week. I've heard a few tracks and have been impressed.

I really liked Turn on the Bright Lights despite the sometimes-odd choice of lyrics. I saw Interpol live last year as well and thought they put on a very good show. They're a very tight band.

Some of Antics' lyrics are terrible. Worse than even "let's see about this ham."

Diablos

Turn On the Bright Lights wasn't that great of an album to me. Untitled, NYC, PDA and Hands Away are the only good songs. The rest was crap. Now... with that being said PDA is a fucking AWESOME song!

Oh... and if you've ever heard an Interpol bootleg, you'd wonder who the hell played their instruments in the studio.

I just picked it up. I'm only listening to the first song (for which I have very neutral feelings about).

Diablos said:
Turn On the Bright Lights wasn't that great of an album to me. Untitled, NYC, PDA and Hands Away are the only good songs. The rest was crap. Now... with that being said PDA is a fucking AWESOME song!

Oh... and if you've ever heard an Interpol bootleg, you'd wonder who the hell played their instruments in the studio.

"Leif Erikson" and "The New" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the songs you listed.

Leif Erikson was a great way to end an album. In fact, it's my favourite song on the whole album. :D

White Man

Btw, I mentioned this in the Venus in Furs SP thread: Have you ever heard the Sp version of Moonage Daydream? I've always been curious about it.

I've listened to it 3 times, now, and while it's no Turn on the Bright Lights, it's a damn good album.

Zilch

Banned
6.8 said:
I've listened to it 3 times, now, and while it's no Turn on the Bright Lights, it's a damn good album.

Yeah, I think so too. I'm not sure if people here just haven't listened to it enough to appreciate it, or if they actually hold TOTBL in extremely high regard.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be more apt to listen to Antics 5 or 10 times or whatever it takes to appreciate it if I wasn't absolutely inundated with KILLER records that are rocking my ass right this second, you know?

For what it's worth, I didn't really like Turn on the Bright Lights right away either. I picked it up again like a year and half after buying it and finally "got" it.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I put Antics through about 4 listens over the last few days, I find it musically uninspiried and boring.. specifically the guitar work. It all sounds like the same song, blah. I'll try it again in a few months.

Jak140

Lambtron said:
For what it's worth, I didn't really like Turn on the Bright Lights right away either. I picked it up again like a year and half after buying it and finally "got" it.

Same here. Now it's one of my all time favorite records.

And Obstacle 2 is their best song, IMO.

Going to buy it off iTunes right now. Judging by the preview, I really like NARC and Take You on a Cruise.

By the way, Obstacle 1 is their best. ;) Or maybe Stella.

bridegur

Is the Action Action album any good? On a related note, is The Reunion Show any good (their singer is also Action Action).

Dilbert

Y'know, I liked Interpol's first album...except for the part that involved singing. That guy doesn't have much to say, and his vocal style is vaguely annoying. If the album had been totally instrumental, I bet I would have liked it at least twice as much.

Dead

well not really...yet
-jinx- said:
Y'know, I liked Interpol's first album...except for the part that involved singing. That guy doesn't have much to say, and his vocal style is vaguely annoying. If the album had been totally instrumental, I bet I would have liked it at least twice as much.
The lyrics are pretty terrible arent they

....to say the least

Outlaw Pro Mod said:
Going to buy it off iTunes right now. Judging by the preview, I really like NARC and Take You on a Cruise.

By the way, Obstacle 1 is their best. ;) Or maybe Stella.
Stella was my favorite I think. If I'm thinking of the right song.

What's the song where he sings about deep sea diving or something? I haven't listened to that album in over a year.

[edit] That's the one

nitewulf

bridegur said:
Is the Action Action album any good? On a related note, is The Reunion Show any good (their singer is also Action Action).

overall the album is pretty tightly produced. there are some very catchy songs in there. styles range from fun 80s rock to new wave, its pretty varied actually. "photograph", "eighth grade summer romance" have a "the cars" sort of a feel, whereas "drug like" is more new wave-ish.

overall the album is pretty tightly produced. there are some very catchy songs in there. styles range from fun 80s rock to new wave, its pretty varied actually. "photograph", "eighth grade summer romance" have a "the cars" sort of a feel, whereas "drug like" is more new wave-ish.

Awesome. I've been wanting to pick this CD up, but no place around here has it yet :( I might have to go ahead and order it online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom