• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview with Road Rash Creator....

Orta

Banned
Mental game when you think of it. Racing motorbikes at high speed whilst kicking other riders in front of oncoming cars and trees (I always saved that one for Biff), clubbing them across the back, swinging at them with chains, punching them in the head....

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Their should be a game with Roadrash and Twisted Metal. Should work good as a Gaas game with different maps.

I mean if Wreckfast can work, so can this.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
It was a little rough but I liked Road rash 64
The real version is this one..

s-l640.jpg

RAIDEN1

The real version is this one..

s-l640.jpg
This version was also ported to the Saturn and PSX if I am correct? That's what I meant in terms of if the new playstation plus was REALLY going to deliver on the classic side....it would need titles like this...that you couldn't get on the Xbox..

GC_DALBEN

I had so much fun with my friends and family with all the road rash games, i still remember a cheat after 30 years, i dont remeber if it was for road rash 1 or 2 - 4e30 110n
THanks for the interview

Quantum253

One of the shining stars from my childhood. Going from Sega to PlayStation, my younger self didn't think games could get better. And seeing Road Rash on a 3DO was mind blowing. Not to mention the amazing real life clips to tie the gameplay in along with Sound Garden's Rusty Cage introduction in stereo. The thrill of getting to use weapons on a bike and the speed when you get that first super bike or getting the Diablo. Man I loved that game. I thought they had a spiritual successor from a couple years back, but I never downloaded it. I'm glad so many got to experience Randy's vision. However, I don't think the game would hold up today though

Holy fuck I remember this game being much better looking, nostalgia is a weird thing lol

Still I loved it to death, and the black cartridge was fire.

It must be that the developers didn't use custom microcode for that game.

If you didn't use custom microcode on 64, the polygon pushing performance was half. Which is why stuff from Nintendo and rareware could look way, way better than 3rd party stuff lol.

AMSCD

It must be that the developers didn't use custom microcode for that game.

If you didn't use custom microcode on 64, the polygon pushing performance was half. Which is why stuff from Nintendo and rareware could look way, way better than 3rd party stuff lol.
Not sure if serious. What is custom microcode?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Road Rash started off awful on Genesis, there were way smoother racers around. Super Hang-On, Super Monaco GP II, F1 World Championship, Outrunners, Kawasaki Superbike Challenge etc., put it to shame. The only good thing out of it was a semi decent 3D engine for the 3DO a lot like NFS.

Although several of those are miles beyond in their arcade iterations, again, all things considered, on Genesis they're still way more successful and impressive than Road Rash, what with their smoother scrolling/scaling, better sprites and even cool stiff like real 3D, mirrors or split screen modes.

Other than the horrible visuals, the gameplay was always at best passable, there was barely any need to steer based on the road in the first entries, just avoid obstacles and use the janky melee to mess folks up like some mobile endless runner. 3D and later games drove janky on top of that too.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Road Rash started off awful on Genesis, there were way smoother racers around. Super Hang-On, Super Monaco GP II, F1 World Championship, Outrunners, Kawasaki Superbike Challenge etc., put it to shame. The only good thing out of it was a semi decent 3D engine for the 3DO a lot like NFS.

Although several of those are miles beyond in their arcade iterations, again, all things considered, on Genesis they're still way more successful and impressive than Road Rash, what with their smoother scrolling/scaling, better sprites and even cool stiff like real 3D, mirrors or split screen modes.

Other than the horrible visuals, the gameplay was always at best passable, there was barely any need to steer based on the road in the first entries, just avoid obstacles and use the janky melee to mess folks up like some mobile endless runner. 3D and later games drove janky on top of that too.

Kawasaki did some impressive things for a Genesis game compared to the SNES version....

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Kawasaki did some impressive things for a Genesis game compared to the SNES version....
Same engine as the F1 game(s), real 3D without a chip on the cart like Virtua Racing or Star Fox (combined with 2D for many elements of course), vs the SNES version being a different game with the common mode 7 effects which may appear smoother, maybe even give the impression of more detail/sprites, but it completely lacks certain visual and gameplay elements. Those Genesis games also had a turbo feature that reduced the detail and size of some graphics to run at like twice the speed but I can't find good footage of that anywhere. It was all derived from Vroom for Amiga...

Edit: also, I think the first on Genesis seen above looks better, the World Championship Edition attempts more realistic sprites but looks cruder to me. I got confused because a video of the original was mislabeled as World Championship Edition so I thought it may vary by region or version...

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Same engine as the F1 game(s), real 3D without a chip on the cart like Virtua Racing or Star Fox (combined with 2D for many elements of course), vs the SNES version being a different game with the common mode7 effects which it appears smoother, maybe even gives the impression of more detail/sprites, but it completely lacks certain visual and gameplay elements. Those Genesis games also had a turbo feature that reduced the detail and size of some graphics to run at like twice the speed but I can't find good footage of that anywhere. It was all derived from Vroom for Amiga...

Edit: also I have no idea what kind of different editions may exist because in the SNES comparison the F1 game kinda looks completely different from other F1 World Championship Genesis footage with kinda worse sprites and reversing the map overlay from top to bottom and stuff, I dunno.

That video between the Amiga and ST version is a "no-contest" ....it is obvious the Amiga wiped the floor with the ST anyway..

Top Bottom