• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview With Ruben Bolling (Tom the Dancing Bug- Funny Comix Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
http://www.salon.com/books/int/2005/01/14/bolling/index.html

Some choice parts:

Then what does inspire you to make cartoons?

RB: I love "The Daily Show." I love sketch comedy, and that's been a huge influence on my humor and writing style, things like Monty Python, "Kids in the Hall" and "Mr. Show." I'll watch a show like that and get really excited, and I'll want to do what they're doing. That will inspire me to write a comic

Personally, I love the God-Man strips. They're silly and subversive.

RB: While that is also quite popular, God-Man gets very negative reactions -- more than any other character, in fact. People seem to take offense to any comments about religion. It's sort of ironic because these same people wonder why there is very little discussion of religion in American culture, but when I introduce the subject, their tendency is to want to shut it down. They seem to miss the point: God-Man isn't actually God. He is a straw man that I'm using to make fun of some people's very simplistic views about religion and philosophy. They literally forget that and think that I'm offending God Himself with these strips.

And a few strips for fun's sake:

story.gif

story.gif

boll.gif

30boll.gif

26boll.gif

bolling970612.gif

I really like the "Yuks" on this one:
19boll.gif

robox

one of the local newspapers actually ran this comic at one point. then someone bitched and complained about 2 weeks later and it got the boot. nice to see it back again, for me at least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom