• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview with SCE Engineers about PS3 Firmware 2.20

DarkJC

Mr. Mister said:
I know its minor but can they make it so pressing the home button pauses the game?

Sounds to me like that'd be something that would have to be supported by the game. I know games on the 360 do this, but I think they do it specifically because it's part of the Microsoft TRC.

DrXym

I don't like the new streaming in the web browser. I used to be able to download titles straight to disk with a few clicks. Now I have mess around with 3 or 4 extra clicks from the tools menu to download link target. There should be a pref for this behaviour, or some shortcut to get the old behaviour.

There should also be a pref for the "do you want to download in the background?" question every time a download is started. I doubt many people want foreground downloading these days and the extra button click and associated delay in downloading is redundant and a pain in the arse.

Clipjoint

* 2.20 has neither Managed Copy (w/ transcoding) nor Portable Copy (w/o transcoding,
demoed at CES) implemented.

I didn't know Managed Copy existed, I thought it was only going to be Portable Copy?

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Jim said:
Eh? It's more of an OS thing NOT a game specific thing. And yes, In-game XMB "functions" (friend's list and such) have always been available for the dev to implement.

If you bought a 40GB PS3 with no PS2 BC.. would you pay $19 to now have PS2 BC?

I have a 40gb and 60gb PS3, and I would gladly pay $19, even $30 to have PS2 backwards compatibility on the 40gb. I would make it my main PS3 then because it's quieter.

Ranger X said:
This whole thing does not distract a little bit from the fact that in-game messaging (the whole corresponding column in the XMB) could appear in every game as an option in the list when you press PS Button. Of course you won't see the whole XMB in-game for a fucking while. (if ever)

That would cause extra problems, since the PS3 OS and memory handlers have most likely not been designed to rotate gamedata and internetbrowser data. (and other things)

Schrade

Clipjoint said:
I didn't know Managed Copy existed, I thought it was only going to be Portable Copy?
That's exactly what I said when I read that part. I think most people assumed that the PS3 -> PSP movie copy thing was already doing transcoding so that's why they're not making too much of a big deal about it. But for people who paid attention it was only announced that Portable Copy was going to be available and only on Sony movies.

If this Managed Copy is coming that's a huge thing.

And dammit, the PS3's firmware guys really need to do more interviews. There's always so much good information in them. I remember their other one they had just before another big firmware release. It had so much good info.

Goldrusher

nofi said:
Absolutely. Anyone that thinks it's going to magically appear retrospectively on older games is kidding themselves.

What most people want is be able to pop-up the friends list & messaging system so they can reply to a message, or contact a friend without having to exit a game.
Many games already have the ability to invite friends or see their statistics, but only when they are online and in said game.

But yeah, a fully functional XMB, with the game in some kind of pause mode or as an in-game overlay, is probably never going to happen.

Goldrusher said:
What most people want is be able to pop-up the friends list & messaging system so they can reply to a message, or contact a friend without having to exit a game.
Many games already have the ability to invite friends or see their statistics, but only when they are online and in said game.

But yeah, a fully functional XMB, with the game in some kind of pause mode or as an in-game overlay, is probably never going to happen.
Pretty much all people want is a reduced XMB interface with friends and game options/settings, maybe with music as well. Browser could be cool since some less system-taxing games enable that, but wholly unnecessary; the same goes for looking at pictures or videos or changing unrelated system settings, or buying things through the PSN store.

loosus

Banned
Question: can you use a mouse and keyboard in the Web browser?

If so, has Sony implemented basic Internet Explorer/FireFox right-click commands, such as "Save picture as..." and "Save target as..."?

Firewire

Banned
loosus said:
Question: can you use a mouse and keyboard in the Web browser?

If so, has Sony implemented basic Internet Explorer/FireFox right-click commands, such as "Save picture as..." and "Save target as..."?

Yes, I'm not sure about the right click though.

Jim

badcrumble said:
Pretty much all people want is a reduced XMB interface with friends and game options/settings, maybe with music as well. Browser could be cool since some less system-taxing games enable that, but wholly unnecessary; the same goes for looking at pictures or videos or changing unrelated system settings, or buying things through the PSN store.

I was planning on running Folding @ Home while playing Resistance 2, personally :)

But yeah, like the XBL mini-blade on the 360, they'll cut out all the crap and leave us with friends list, text/voice messaging, and likely some sort of custom music thing.

The other supposed benefit to the newer SDK/firmware is that some of these more common functions no longer require additional memory. So... smaller OS + that = good stuff on the way. They've clearly been doing everything possible to make this a reality.

Wollan said:
That wasn't a April fools? Can people actually patent that?

You can patent anything. I think some idiot was able to patent a "while" loop a few years ago.

MS has some of the best patent lawyers in the world, so if it could be patented, it was.

squicken

Jim said:
I was planning on running Folding @ Home while playing Resistance 2, personally :)

But yeah, like the XBL mini-blade on the 360, they'll cut out all the crap and leave us with friends list, text/voice messaging, and likely some sort of custom music thing.

The other supposed benefit to the newer SDK/firmware is that some of these more common functions no longer require additional memory. So... smaller OS + that = good stuff on the way. They've clearly been doing everything possible to make this a reality.

Thanks for all the info Jim, and also Wollan. I'm glad they are reducing the memory footprint. I just want that cross-game invite and messaging system. I hate playing Motorstorm, seeing the system tell me I have just received a message, but not really giving me any options on actually looking at the message. To me, it makes the PS3 currently a mostly offline gaming system.

I was hoping we'd get the cross-game stuff by GTA4, but I guess it's not to be :(

Jim

devildog820 said:
You can patent anything. I think some idiot was able to patent a "while" loop a few years ago.

MS has some of the best patent lawyers in the world, so if it could be patented, it was.

I may be out of the loop, but I don't think this was an April Fools joke: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT6981918

Method and apparatus for creating and playing soundtracks in a gaming system
Patent number: 6981918
Filing date: Feb 12, 2004
Issue date: Jan 3, 2006
Inventor: Victor Keith Blanco
Assignee: Microsoft Corporation
Primary Examiner: Kim Nguyen

Jim said:

Pretty much. The great thing about the way the XMB interface is designed is that it's fully modular and infinitely expandable (in theory, though it'd be better to keep it to <10 main tabs in my opinion). In-game XMB can easily have features added in the future, or optional features for some games and not others (custom soundtracks may end up this way).

dalin80

Banned
The question is will the OS ram drops be out in time for mgs4?

will certainly help the games coming in the second half of the year :)

ThirdEye

dalin80 said:

They don't have to worry, all PS3 have an HDD. It can be patched later.

Jim

dalin80 said:

I'd be shocked if MGS4 didn't require FW 2.20 or later

Jim said:
I'd be shocked if MGS4 didn't require FW 2.20 or later
Didn't the recent MGS4 event happen before FW 2.20 was available to users? Not saying that's a definitive no or anything, since obviously there's a lot that devs have access to.

J-Rzez

badcrumble said:
Didn't the recent MGS4 event happen before FW 2.20 was available to users? Not saying that's a definitive no or anything, since obviously there's a lot that devs have access to.

Well, the FW update could've been contained on the Disc a-la PSP titles for one example, and they're just on NDA with it. Who knows really. I'm sure the game will rock in more ways than one when it hits regards of what version FW it's on.

RuGalz

Sony always has the option of forcing games to implement in-game messaging even if it requires more memory ala Nintendo w/ Home menu. Just saying...

Top Bottom