• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Into the Abyss | Werner Herzog's Tale of Death & Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRAILER (HD) (streaming/embeddable)

Directed by Werner Herzog (Aguirre, Grizzly Man, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Fitzcarraldo, Encounters at the End of the World and fuckton more)

IntoAbyss-5-620x312.jpg

Official Site

poster-xlarge.jpg

Synopsis:

Legendary filmmaker Werner Herzog (CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS, GRIZZLY MAN) returns with INTO THE ABYSS: A TALE OF DEATH, A TALE OF LIFE, a riveting examination of a horrible crime which probes the human psyche to explore why people kill--and why the state kills. In intimate conversations with those involved, including 28-year-old death row inmate Michael Perry (who was scheduled to die eight days after his interview with Herzog), the filmmaker achieves what he describes as "a gaze into the abyss of the human soul." As he's so often done before, Herzog's investigation unveils layers of humanity, making an enlightening trip out of ominous territory.

Into the Abyss hits theaters on November 11th, 2011.

-----

Saw this at Toronto and adored it, one of the best films of the year.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I love everything this man has ever done, so I'm in as soon as I can find a place to watch it. Says it's out on VOD, where exactly is it going to be available?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I want to see this for sure. But I still haven't been able to see Cave of Forgotten dreams yet *shrugs*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Day one. But the biggest bonus of this thread is that it reminds me i need to get Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

PS> Little Dieter is the best doc ever.

Looks great. Will watch for sure. Herzog is teh best.

Lafiel said:
I want to see this for sure. But I still haven't been able to see Cave of Forgotten dreams yet *shrugs*

Cave was amazing. And 10x the experience in 3D.

London Film Festival gave Grierson Award for Best Documentary to Into the Abyss: A Tale of Death, A Tale of Life – dir. Werner Herzog

woot.

SystemShock2 said:
This looks really interesting. Is this gonna be a wide release? I can't find much info

Definitely not. It will be exactly like Cave of Forgotten Dreams probably. If that didn't play near you, don't expect this will.

I guess VOD isn't happening like I thought. Very, very odd. This is a perfect VOD film.

"cinematic equivalent of Capote's In Cold Blood"

couple that with this being another Herzog documentary and holy shit, easy top 10 (probably top 5) movie of the year.

In limited release TODAY! To celebrate here is our review and interview with Herzog:

[Interview] Director Werner Herzog Talks ‘Into the Abyss’

[Review] Into the Abyss: A Tale of Death, A Tale of Life

The subtitle of Werner Herzog‘s searing documentary Into the Abyss — A Tale of Death, a Tale of Life — sets up expectations for a film that is equal parts harrowing and uplifting. Yet as dutifully even-handed as Herzog‘s presentation is, it’s nearly inconceivable to imagine the director’s obvious appreciation for human life washing away the utterly shattering nature of the story at hand. It’s this precisely downbeat message — that, no matter how treasured human existence can often times be, the dark will always overshadow the light — that I took away from the film. And it shredded me to pieces.

A

Werner Herzog seems like such a brilliant man. Some of the things he said in that interview were really insightful. Can't wait to see this film. It's coming to a theater near me on the 23rd.

AAequal

Banned
Any info when will this be out on dvd or shown at Investigation Discovery? I have just now discovered Herzog documents and I'm already out :D I need this bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom