• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing child to RPG genre

Freddo

The 10 year old son of a co-worker played his first RPG about a year ago which he borrowed of me, Tales of Symphonia, and he enjoyed it greatly. He then borrowed Xenoblade Chronicles but got tired of that game and stopped playing after reaching the snowy area.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions for Nintendo 3DS is what you're looking for.

It's an upcoming 3DS remake of -

- the best Mario RPG ever made
- one of the most kid-friendly RPGs ever made
- a video game that is genuinely hysterical and full of chuckles
- an RPG with an easy to understand action battle systems where Mario and Luigi fight enemies by literally throwing each other at them, in increasingly creative ways

It's not as text-heavy as other Mario RPGs, and the writing is pretty simple anyway.

images from the OG GBA version:

3f2a17619f32a866928df8c64049f98c04c8a436_hq.gif

71a1e52a9888e9b8d9fcddd17d8cff2b263a518a_hq.gif

Believe me, this is the one.

Rathorial

Bloodborne
(j/k)

Play Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition (Steam/PS4/X1) because it's the best turn-based CO-OP RPG on the market. PS4 and X1 let you play splitscreen with your son if you want as well.

Didn't think of that...but probably the best answer.

I'd throw in Ubisoft's Child of Light, which is basically a cute fairy tale story with rhyming + Grandia combat. It's pretty easy to play, and you can also co-op assist by controlling the fairy partner thing if I remember right.

Bastion and Transistor would also be good choices, though Bastion is probably more accessible, and the one to play first.

Espada

My three picks for a child's introduction to RPGs are:

Pokemon - Expressly designed to be easy to get into, the core concept is simple, designs are colorful and diverse, and that's a lot of content here for them to enjoy.

Mario & Luigi (specifically Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story) - Much like Pokemon, it's colorful, relatively simple in both controls and writing, and it's very easy to get into.

I'd also recommend Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, but I don't think that's available on the platforms you listed.

killroy87

Bloodborne
(j/k)

Play Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition (Steam/PS4/X1) because it's the best turn-based CO-OP RPG on the market. PS4 and X1 let you play splitscreen with your son if you want as well.

Lol that's a legitimately terrible choice for a 9 year olds first RPG.

Pokemon makes the most sense, if you want to leave him play on his own. If you are willing to play with him, you can probably guide him through Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, or Paper Mario.

SugarDave

I don't have any recommendations coming to mind right now, but I will say that I don't think you should restrict your choice pool to things considered safe and easy entry points. Kids catch on quick.

Whatever game he finds appealing that happens to be an RPG really. Common entry points would be Pokemon and the Mario RPGs, maybe even something like Chrono Trigger

The 10 year old son of a co-worker played his first RPG about a year ago which he borrowed of me, Tales of Symphonia, and he enjoyed it greatly. He then borrowed Xenoblade Chronicles but got tired of that game and stopped playing after reaching the snowy area.

This was my first at that age too! Still my favorite really. That area in Xenoblade was not very interesting indeed

squall23

Go for broke. Introduce him to Chrono Trigger. It was either that or Pokemon Red that was my first RPG and I was really young.

Jolkien

Bloodborne
(j/k)

This is a terrible recommendation. The kid is way too young to enjoy Divinity and the start beyond the tutorial dungeon is extremely tedious for some.
As for the OP: My vote go to Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG, short game which gives him a better shot at finishing one of those.

KtSlime

Surely it is Pokémon, he probably already knows many of the characters and the premise. Many of children his age also likely play the game so he can discuss it with them.

He'll be fine with classic JRPGs.

I already clocked FFVII at that age and I'm pretty sure I was already working on FFVII. Like a lot of kids those days, I was also into Pokemon. I didn't get the details of the story (nor a few of the obvious parts) but I had a lot of fun anyway.

Kingdom Hearts 1 is probably the easiest choice though. Lots of familiar Disney characters, action packed, doesn't look dated. New Pokemon games are text heavy compared to the earlier entries.

Black_Red

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions for Nintendo 3DS is what you're looking for.

It's an upcoming 3DS remake of -

- the best Mario RPG ever made
- one of the most kid-friendly RPGs ever made
- a video game that is genuinely hysterical and full of chuckles
- an RPG with an easy to understand action battle systems where Mario and Luigi fight enemies by literally throwing each other at them, in increasingly creative ways

It's not as text-heavy as other Mario RPGs, and the writing is pretty simple anyway.

images from the OG GBA version:

3f2a17619f32a866928df8c64049f98c04c8a436_hq.gif

71a1e52a9888e9b8d9fcddd17d8cff2b263a518a_hq.gif

Believe me, this is the one.

It is really hard tough, I think I played it when I was 12. My sister tried to play it when she was 10 and she got stuck in the bowser+the thief boss fight.

Pokemon is definitely the best choice.

Fireblend

Banned
I see a SNES Classic Edition in your child's future.

FFVI, Secret of Mana, ALttP, Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.

It's only missing Chrono Trigger.

Child of Light is a fairly simple RPG with turn-based combat. An adult (or other) can also optionally play as the sidekick ball of light, and help out real-time with combat heals and some other cooperative tasks.

The dialogue is spoken in rhyme, and there's text that accompanies it to read. It only goes as fast you trigger the next paragraph, so you can take your time with reading.

Came in to recommend this as well.

Keep your son away from the 3DS, horrid screen.

khaaan

If he likes Minecraft then maybe he'd like the open-ness of Skyrim? I know it's rated M but from what I can remember there wasn't any egregious violence or sex so it's probably fine. Pokemon is a good suggestion too.

Any answer other than Pokémon is wrong, and I don't even like Pokémon games.

Anyone suggesting old school RPGs are so out of touch. I'm 18 and had a hard time going back to even Earthbound.

Usobuko

Banned
At 9 years old, your kid doesn't need that much of a hand-holding.

Personally I throw him to Souls games or one of those prominent, newer turn-based wrpgs. Pokemon is a great entry too because it's still "in" but I will recommend you play it with him or check if his friends play that too.

Estoc

Pokemon, the latest one, because of social factors, assuming his friends play Pokemon too.

Otherwise, some sort of co-op RPG could be good, since you, or him and his friends, can play together. I was going to suggest Secret of Mana, but I noticed you don't have a Switch, and game being Japanese only doesn't help.

My first experience with RPG was Secret of Mana with my brother... Ok, it was Dragon Quest 5 and Final Fantasy 5, but it wasn't until Secret of Mana that I started liking the genre.

Enzo88

I did not like it as much as i wanted to, but in recent times i believe Setsuna might be a good pick for a kid.

Fxp

Thank you for all the suggestions! We'll start with Costume Quest, Pokemon X and Child of Light. I have SNES Mini preordered so SNES JRPGs will be next :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dragon Quest. That's how I got into RPGs.

Any answer other than Pokémon is wrong, and I don't even like Pokémon games.

Anyone suggesting old school RPGs are so out of touch. I'm 18 and had a hard time going back to even Earthbound.

Keep in mind a lot of us were already in ours teens when Pokemon first came out, which is why we're suggesting other RPGs.

Keep in mind a lot of us were already in ours teens when Pokemon first came out, which is why we're suggesting other RPGs.

That was back then, things are different now. I think Pokemon is probably the best starting place when it comes to RPG's, because it has the most accessibility of any game I can think of. The stories are pretty mediocre, but it allows people to get a feel for things like inventory management and using stats and a basic strong against/weak against dynamic. It's by no means a perfect starting point, but what kid doesn't love Pokemon???

NiteChylde

Neo Member
I'd recommend any of the following:

- Mario RPGs on any platform
- Eternal Sonata (coop in battles, not too hard gameplay-relevant, though the story could be quite heavy for a Kid)
- Chrono Trigger
- Secret of Mana (great couch coop with dad and maybe even Mom!)
- Dragon Quest Builders (RPG with Minecraft-style gameplay)

As much as I love Final Fantasy, Pokemon and other JRPGs, most of them could be too grindy for a 9 year old, I guess.

SRG01

The first RPG I played was FF1 at 8 or 9 years old, but that's a bit dated. I'd recommend FF6, if it's available on the SNES Mini.

Didn't think of that...but probably the best answer.

I'd throw in Ubisoft's Child of Light, which is basically a cute fairy tale story with rhyming + Grandia combat. It's pretty easy to play, and you can also co-op assist by controlling the fairy partner thing if I remember right.

Bastion and Transistor would also be good choices, though Bastion is probably more accessible, and the one to play first.

Haha, I got beaten to the Child of Light answer :[...then again, it goes to show imo that it is indeed a great choice for an RPG for a child to play :D

It's true, there is a 2 player co-op mode in which the 2nd player controls the light-shining guy, helping slow down the enemies for player 1 to combat them better!

Reminds me...oughta get around to beating it :[...got stuck on I think the final boss

Also reminds me...I still wanna get, play, and possibly beat Transistor! Loved the shit out of the demo I played...made a thread about it as well haha! Just waiting for it to go on sale on Steam...one day

ViviOggi

Pokemon, Paper Mario and Costume Quest should all work rather well

Please don't get your poor kid into fantasy JRPGs, we've already lost an entire generation to those hellspawns

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Don't underestimate kids. The original Fallout was my entry point when I was 10 or 11, and that's hardly the most player friendly game by modern standards.

My suggestion is to pick something with a setting that interests him. It's easier to get past the learning curve if the world fascinates you and makes you want to press on.

Syriel

2217673-box_grandia.png

Excellent game. Good visuals. Fun combat system.

Of course, I'm assuming that OP has already given his kid this:

18322_front.jpg

remz

When I was your son's age my favourite games were Pokemon, Grandia 1+2, FF9 and Skies of Arcadia. these games might be a bit dated now my I don't anything else captured my child brain imagination like these games did.

i-Jest

Pokemon X/Y
Earthbound
Child of Light
Mario and Luigi RPG games
Paper Mario 1 and 2
Adventures of Mana
Legend of Mana
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Citizens of Earth
Yo-Kai Watch games
Ni No Kuni