• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haribokart

Banned
Am I allowed to lock my iPhone with a code before handing it in in a Apple Store for repair when I want my batter replaced? I dont want anyone there to go through my stuff, but I dont know if repair is still possible then.
Find my iPhone is already deactivated.
They are gonna need access to test the battery. I'd back up and erase it before handing it in, personally.

I just started using Workflow after learning about it through the acquisition and holy shit is it amazing. I had no idea. I'm actually in awe

Am I allowed to lock my iPhone with a code before handing it in in a Apple Store for repair when I want my batter replaced? I dont want anyone there to go through my stuff, but I dont know if repair is still possible then.
Find my iPhone is already deactivated.

They'll either ask you to give them the code or turn it off, so they can run post-repair diagnostics. I'd make a backup and erase before going in if it really bothers you. Or conversely you can just tell them not to worry about post-repair diags but I don't know if every technician would be agreeable to that. Should be fine but you never know

mf.luder

Is 10.3 ever going to come out? What the hell is going on in Cupertino?

Yes, I'm also looking forward to it being released. Also looking forward to Sierra release as well.

Edit: I just went to 9to5. They said it was released 4 minutes ago. Hurray!

I hope this fixes the mystery battery drain issues I've been having on my 7.

I would not want to be the Apple filesystem manager that told Craig/Tim, "Yup, APFS is ready to be installed on a billion devices. Have fun!" I've been involved in deploying things to large audiences before, but that is a giant scale of possible explosions I never want to be responsible for.

darksunpr

So I finally have a car with carplay. Is it normal that I cant receive whatsapp notifcations when carplay is active? I dont receive them on the apple watch or even on the phone.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Is it safe to install? Cause I dont trust Apple since the last update not anymore as much as before

This one comes with an entire file system upgrade, so the only thing I'd recommend is just doing it when you've got some free time and a power outlet nearby. It could take awhile depending on the device.

TheZink

I hope this fixes the mystery battery drain issues I've been having on my 7.

I would not want to be the Apple filesystem manager that told Craig/Tim, "Yup, APFS is ready to be installed on a billion devices. Have fun!" I've been involved in deploying things to large audiences before, but that is a giant scale of possible explosions I never want to be responsible for.

Im on a 6S plus and my battery life is much better on 10.3 than 10.2.1 Also everything seems quicker.

jts

...hate me...
Can't update to 10.3. iPhone 6s Plus. OTA it tells me there was an error with the update.

Over iTunes it fails to backup to my computer (not enough space) even though I backup to iCloud and the option to backup to the computer is off. Ugh.

Any suggestions?

Can't update to 10.3. iPhone 6s Plus. OTA it tells me there was an error with the update.

Over iTunes it fails to backup to my computer (not enough space) even though I backup to iCloud and the option to backup to the computer is off. Ugh.

Any suggestions?

Plug into the computer and open iTunes. Hold down the power and home buttons until the phone turns off, back on, through the Apple logo, and to the connect to iTunes sign. Select Update from the available options and it should download and install 10.3

jts

...hate me...
Plug into the computer and open iTunes. Hold down the power and home buttons until the phone turns off, back on, through the Apple logo, and to the connect to iTunes sign. Select Update from the available options and it should download and install 10.3
Thanks, I'll try when I get home.

I just don't understand these random errors. Just deleted and downloaded the update (on my phone) to no luck.

Ambitious

It would be kind of cool if there was a image format which contained a picture in multiple resolutions at once, so you could, for instance, set the same wallpaper for all your iOS/Mac devices in one step (synced using iCloud), each using the appropriate resolution for the corresponding screen size. Technically, a zip file containing the different versions with a certain file naming scheme (e.g. img_WIDTH_HEIGHT.png) would be sufficient.

Ambitious

Isn't that just a square photo of sufficient size that is then scaled/fit as appropriate by the OS on your device?

Sure, this would be another approach. But the way the OS scales and crops the image might not always be optimal, so in this case, I'd include a textual list of scaling/cropping definitions for the OS, for the respective resolutions. I wouldn't want to have to do this manually on each device. That's defeating the point, which is convenience.
Of course, being able to adjust the scaling/cropping would be neat, and it would be pretty easy to implement.

My battery life has been pretty rad with 10.3. I've been off the charger and my phone has been in use for 1 hour and 36 minutes and it's at 93%

Then again I've never had any battery complaints on my 7 Plus. Even on the worst of betas

RootCause

Do Authenticator apps and the accounts get backed up too?

I have to reset my phone(switching network), but I don't want to mess up.

I'll be using iTunes to backup my data.

When using iTunes then yes, they should. Encrypt the backup just in case, it'll save more stuff

Thanks.

Any downside to encrypting the backup?

If you forget the password you set now the backup is lost forever no way to get it back. You actually have to give up backing up entirely to computers because you can only turn off encryption with the password. You'd have to wipe and set up as new to start making backups to iTunes again

So yeah don't forget it

RootCause

If you forget the password you set now the backup is lost forever no way to get it back. You actually have to give up backing up entirely to computers because you can only turn off encryption with the password. You'd have to wipe and set up as new to start making backups to iTunes again

So yeah don't forget it

Yikes! Guess I'll try the regular back.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just make it something you can never forget but no one would ever think of. Maybe your best friend from childhood (Someone you might not even see anymore) and a specific number sequence that means something to you and only you.

And remember it's not linked to your iTunes account so even if you choose that password, it won't change if you have to change your Store password. It'll always be that initial password.

My 7 Plus on 10.3 keeps having the Bluetooth drop out. And I don't mean like one device, I mean my phone's Bluetooth chip just drops. It disconnects from my Apple Watch, my AirPods if I'm wearing those (I hear the chime that they got disconnected) or my car's Bluetooth. Takes a couple second and it seems to "reboot". I was on the public beta track and this never happened until the GM release. Audio and connection is fine while everything is connected, but the drops happen at least once a day, sometimes moreso

mrkgoo

My 7 Plus on 10.3 keeps having the Bluetooth drop out. And I don't mean like one device, I mean my phone's Bluetooth chip just drops. It disconnects from my Apple Watch, my AirPods if I'm wearing those (I hear the chime that they got disconnected) or my car's Bluetooth. Takes a couple second and it seems to "reboot". I was on the public beta track and this never happened until the GM release. Audio and connection is fine while everything is connected, but the drops happen at least once a day, sometimes moreso

10.3 only? I'm travelling with no way to backup my iPhone so I won't install 10.3 until I return. Not worth the risk of something happening with no backup, especially so seeing as a new file system is being introduced.

Speaking of which, does it take extra long? How does it do it in place? What about iTunes? Insanity!

10.3 only? I'm travelling with no way to backup my iPhone so I won't install 10.3 until I return. Not worth the risk of something happening with no backup, especially so seeing as a new file system is being introduced.

Speaking of which, does it take extra long? How does it do it in place? What about iTunes? Insanity!

But only the public 10.3, didn't happen on any of the betas. Maybe my phone is dying, who knows

Yes it does take extra long. The technical explanation (according to John Siracusa) is that it rewrites the file headers from HFS+ to APFS but not the actual files themselves nor their location, just the references to their location. I don't know what you mean about iTunes. For the record I butchered Siracusa's explanation

Ephemeris

might be late on this one, but the one I use [OTP Auth ] brought everything back when I restored a new phone from a backup I made.

mrkgoo

But only the public 10.3, didn't happen on any of the betas. Maybe my phone is dying, who knows

Yes it does take extra long. The technical explanation (according to John Siracusa) is that it rewrites the file headers from HFS+ to APFS but not the actual files themselves nor their location, just the references to their location. I don't know what you mean about iTunes. For the record I butchered Siracusa's explanation

Ah. Interesting.

Regarding iTunes I meant what it's like updating via iTunes. It always downloads the whole thing and then applies that and of late it seems like it makes new backups to go with it. Like whole new 20GB backups.

With a new file system maybe it actually does an entire restore via iTunes. I don't know.

Here's an answer I wrote about it on Quora:
https://www.quora.com/How-does-iOS-...S/answer/Matt-Sephton?srid=kKH&share=584c1a12

iOS 10.3 converts HFS+ (Core Storage) to APFS in-place by generating and writing the new metadata into free/empty space and then swapping the filesystem. See the following archived WWDC video: Introducing Apple File System (developer access required, transcription below)

“Apple will provide an in-place upgrade path from HFS+ to Apple File System. In doing this, the user data will remain exactly where it is and we will write, or Apple will write the APFS metadata, brand new, into the HPF+ free space.

And we're doing this for crash protection. This is a multi-second to multi-minute operation potentially.

And over that time, if the device loses power, panics, anything bad happens we want the data on the device to be safe and sound as if nothing had ever happened.

So the Apple File System Converter will try to be as atomic as possible. It's not completely instantaneous, but as the operation is ongoing, if the device crashes, we intend for it to be completely as if nothing had ever happened.”

Ambitious

I wish there was a quick, convenient way to mute notifications for a specific app, either permanently or temporarily (e.g. for one hour). Like, directly from notification center, for instance.

My company's internal Skype chats are often quite busy. So in order to stop my phone from vibrating all the time, I have to either use the Settings app to disable notifications for Skype, which is inconvenient if I have to do it so often each day, or simply use Do Not Disturb, which of course mutes all notifications.

I wish there was a quick, convenient way to mute notifications for a specific app, either permanently or temporarily (e.g. for one hour). Like, directly from notification center, for instance.

My company's internal Skype chats are often quite busy. So in order to stop my phone from vibrating all the time, I have to either use the Settings app to disable notifications for Skype, which is inconvenient if I have to do it so often each day, or simply use Do Not Disturb, which of course mutes all notifications.

Does the Skype app itself not let you control notification settings for specific conversations?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My iPhone 7+ was full with storage. Literally no memory remaining after downloading the update. I really didn't want to update because I'm on holiday and I haven't backed up my photos. But I had no more space and no access to strong wifi to backup the gigs of photos in a timely fashion.

I know the update is supposed to free up space. I took a risk and updated my phone. The thing actually updated in ten minutes flawlessly and I've lost nothing. I am incredibly impressed. Incredibly. Amazing. It updated a full phone, changing file systems in the process. I know the update reserved whatever space it needed to convert file systems but even still, wow.

I gained about 1.5 GBs. I went from 10.2 directly to 10.3.1.

My iPhone 7+ was full with storage. Literally no memory remaining after downloading the update. I really didn't want to update because I'm on holiday and I haven't backed up my photos. But I had no more space and no access to strong wifi to backup the gigs of photos in a timely fashion.

I know the update is supposed to free up space. I took a risk and updated my phone. The thing actually updated in ten minutes flawlessly and I've lost nothing. I am incredibly impressed. Incredibly. Amazing. It updated a full phone, changing file systems in the process. I know the update reserved whatever space it needed to convert file systems but even still, wow.

I gained about 1.5 GBs. I went from 10.2 directly to 10.3.1.

Do you have a 32GB?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do you have a 32GB?
Yep. Piece of junk. Should have bought a bigger model but I barely use my 7+. I only use it while on holiday due to the camera. I prefer my SE day to day.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I do have 1Password. I haven't tried the 2FA on it. Does it also backup the codes?

I always just put the backup codes generated by the site/service in a note section of the login entry within 1Password, so they're readily available everywhere to view for me.
You also add the 2FA section the same way, it's called "One-Time password", then it asks you to scan a QR code. You can only add them via mobile app but they show up on the desktop client as well afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom